Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do blue stronghold states gradually turn right wing as wannabe Republicans run in Democratic primaries to achieve their policy goals?

EDIT:
gently caress that's a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This was discussed upthread, but in short: no. In 2003 Gray Davis had a reason for people on both sides to hate him. Newsom just has "he's a Democrat and he made me wear a mask!!!!!!!"

tangential to the point, but i do want to remind non-californians that the reason both sides had to hate gray davis turned out after the fact to be a fraud by the local energy industry to rake in profits

edit:

Kraftwerk posted:

Do blue stronghold states gradually turn right wing as wannabe Republicans run in Democratic primaries to achieve their policy goals?

a bunch of california's most visible national representatives are ancient holdouts from the reagan/third way era, so if anything the state should trend more left in the future

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Newsom recall gives chuds something to do with their impotent rage.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Newsom recall gives chuds something to do with their impotent rage.

Yeah I can't wait to see the CHUD electorate split between the 35 wingnuts that all run and be completely taken by surprise when Gavin endures and stays in office. Eat poo poo, the loving lot of you. I'll see you CHUD fuckers in Hell.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I can't wait to see the CHUD electorate split between the 35 wingnuts that all run and be completely taken by surprise when Gavin endures and stays in office. Eat poo poo, the loving lot of you. I'll see you CHUD fuckers in Hell.

That isn't how it works, is it? I thought he gets removed on a simple majority of yes/no with the vote for replacement being a separate thing.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Republicans posted:

That isn't how it works, is it? I thought he gets removed on a simple majority of yes/no with the vote for replacement being a separate thing.

Good run down here. I was only pointing out, there've been multiple CHUDs already prepping runs for this even before Caitlyn announced her own. They're waiting in the wings also.

https://www.kcra.com/article/newsom-recall-makes-ballot-california-recall-process-election-governor-gop-jenner/36257315

quote:

The recall ballot would then have two parts. Voters would be able to vote "yes" or "no" on whether to remove the governor from office. The second question would give voters the option to vote for a successor candidate. If a majority of voters said yes to the first question to recall, the votes on the second question would be counted. The candidate who received a plurality of that vote would be the successor.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Feldegast42 posted:

Why in particular is their a recall petition against Newsom? I mean beyond just the chuds. I'm sure he's probably a pretty meh at best establishment governor but I don't get why hes pissed off so many people

1.6 million chuds signed a petition.

California has 40 million people and counting

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Trying to reopen a state multiple times and the way that the homeless have been treated would make me disagree. Some things have probably gone well, but from what I have seen the general response to the pandemic appears to have been a tad too lax.

California has the lowest Covid rate of any state in America. Newsome has done a very good job with it.

Sometimes I wonder where you get your news, or if you just get weird impressions of things and run with them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

Good run down here. I was only pointing out, there've been multiple CHUDs already prepping runs for this even before Caitlyn announced her own. They're waiting in the wings also.

https://www.kcra.com/article/newsom-recall-makes-ballot-california-recall-process-election-governor-gop-jenner/36257315

...Wow, that's pretty hosed up. Not only is it FTP with simple plurality to win, people voting "no" on the recall are probably much less likely to vote on the replacement question. I guess it's fortunate that the recall is extremely unlikely to pass.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

This is not meant at you but is aimed at a wider question, so I do apologise for using your comment as a springboard as it were.

At what level of closeness does a politician have to be before they are responsible for things? Does it have to be a direct order, or can it simply be by creating an expectation?

One of the things I never quite "get" is how granular every level of politics is and how defuse responsibility is, whilst still appearing to invest people with a great deal of power.

maybe it's just me but I'm getting tired of seeing you backtrack to a "hypothetical about a heartfelt abstract question" every time you show your ignorance in here. I don't think your intentions are bad, but it's really frustrating to see the thread get derailed every other day to explain something basic to you that you could easily learn for yourself if you bothered to try.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stickman posted:

...Wow, that's pretty hosed up. Not only is it FTP with simple plurality to win, people voting "no" on the recall are probably much less likely to vote on the replacement question. I guess it's fortunate that the recall is extremely unlikely to pass.

Not to mention the people not interested in doing thr recall would be less likely to vote at all. So it seems like this could easily get Jenner (or Pepe the frog) elected if there's no requirement for turnout

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

predicto posted:

California has the lowest Covid rate of any state in America. Newsome has done a very good job with it.

Sometimes I wonder where you get your news, or if you just get weird impressions of things and run with them.

It's not the highest, but it's definitely not the lowest, or even close. It's pretty darn close to median (9.4% vs 10.1% median for detected infections and 0.16% vs 0.17% median for deaths).

E: And the overall rates for the US are 9.6% with detected infections and 0.17% dead, so pretty spot on there too.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 27, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Stickman posted:

It's not the highest, but it's definitely not the lowest, or even close. It's pretty darn close to median (9.4% vs 10.1% median for detected infections and 0.16% vs 0.17% median for deaths).

California is the 2nd lowest in "new cases per day" over the past week. Beat only by Hawaii.

It's a very specific statistic though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Clarste posted:

California is the 2nd lowest in "new cases per day" over the past week. Beat only by Hawaii.

It's a very specific statistic though.

Ah, that makes more sense, sorry. Still not a good time to lift restrictions (Hawaii either). Get people fully vaccinated first.

VVV Yeah, sorry, misinterpreted the post! (California's poo poo cumulative numbers are very much on Newsom, though) VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 27, 2021

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Stickman posted:

is that a cumulative figure? California (especially SoCal) got hit really hard early because it has so many travelers, same way New York did, but that's not on Newsome.

Currently California has the lowest Covid rate in the continental US, and for all of his robotic faults, Newsome is probably the biggest reason why. His template for when and how to close and reopen counties and schools was science based and he has stuck to it when so many other governors wussed out because of political pressure. That's why the chuds are all so mad at him.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/Why-California-has-lowest-COVID-case-rate-in-16121545.php

predicto fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 27, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CHUDS wish on monkey's paw for Newsom to be recalled. Newsom is recalled. Finger curls on monkey's paw. Joanna Newsom is now governor. All white men now have to marry a harp.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/NYCPDDEA/status/1386812200774508547

even for the nypd this is loving pathetic, lmfao

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

A big flaming stink posted:

even for the nypd this is loving pathetic, lmfao
criminals have learned that there are NO CONSEQUENCES!!! we're prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law with extra charges on top.

PS: this one incident is evidence of an entire culture gone mad over a just a few small isolated incidences of individual police officers murdering innocents lone wolf style

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

criminals have learned that there are NO CONSEQUENCES!!! we're prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law with extra charges on top.

PS: this one incident is evidence of an entire culture gone mad over a just a few small isolated incidences of individual police officers murdering innocents lone wolf style

Nah watching the video this is just a straight up staged video.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow what a lucky coincidence that someone just happened to be filming this guy for no reason.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow what a lucky coincidence that someone just happened to be filming this guy for no reason.

Oh no an assailant!

*Slowly jogs after*

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://apnews.com/article/minimum-wage-coronavirus-government-and-politics-politics-health-d89b279c821af20607a02fbcfd9d8ff4

Well this is nice.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh good, the cop who shot her neighbor for the crime of eating ice cream in his own apartment is appealing.

https://apnews.com/article/shootings-dallas-courts-george-floyd-e2d336c1cecfb79df21bde78e50594bf

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mask covers the nose, cargo pants

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Sedisp posted:

Nah watching the video this is just a straight up staged video.

Would have been way better with a folding chair, maybe a powerbomb onto the broken glass

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If he took one cop and smashed him into another cop and, like, he jumps off their heads as they are dazed and drops a sick 'bow on Detective Yogurt Pretzel and runs off. He throws in some "nyuck nyuck nyucks" as they give chase.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The greatest minds of the nypd couldn’t come up with anything better than a guy getting gently hit on the head with a ski pole?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*smack*

I DOOD A CRIME I DOOD A CRIME :newlol: *backs away slowly into traffic*

I'm trying to imagine how many calls that 1-800-COP-SHOT hotline they have painted on their cars are getting nowadays

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
And then slowly trotting away going nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Washington Post confirmed that the scandal of Kamala giving her book to all the kids on the border didn't actually happen. Leftists on Twitter probably shouldn't spread right-wing disinfo that is only supported by NY Post and Washington Examiner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/27/no-officials-are-not-handing-out-harriss-picture-book-migrant-kids

quote:

A spokesman for the city of Long Beach told The Fact Checker that a single copy of “Superheroes Are Everywhere” was donated by a member of the community.

“The City of Long Beach, in partnership with the Long Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau, has a citywide book and toy drive that is ongoing to support the migrant children who are temporarily staying in Long Beach at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services shelter,” city spokesman Kevin Lee said. “The book you reference is one of hundreds of books that have already been donated. The book was not purchased by HHS or the City.”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

After all it would be unconscionable if a politician were to do something self-aggrandizing and tone-deaf to the situation

we must be on guard at all times against such offenses

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I'm trying to imagine how many calls that 1-800-COP-SHOT hotline they have painted on their cars are getting nowadays

It would be terrible if someone set up a robodialler to just ring that number non-stop and play this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBT7ytgVB9c

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

CHUDS wish on monkey's paw for Newsom to be recalled. Newsom is recalled. Finger curls on monkey's paw. Joanna Newsom is now governor. All white men now have to marry a harp.

Samberg's gonna need something to do when Nine Nine ends, may as well be First Partner of California

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Thom12255 posted:

Washington Post confirmed that the scandal of Kamala giving her book to all the kids on the border didn't actually happen. Leftists on Twitter probably shouldn't spread right-wing disinfo that is only supported by NY Post and Washington Examiner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/27/no-officials-are-not-handing-out-harriss-picture-book-migrant-kids

spreading disinfo and muddying the waters is actually good tbh, it's just a weapon. Like violence is bad but we can probably agree that the strategic use of violence can create good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

No I’m afraid that this is actually the evil Biden admins fault as well

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1387020458118287360?s=21

Take the L dude and check your sources better

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JonathonSpectre posted:

drat man, you saw right through me! I'd absolutely just meekly walk away. Nailed it!

I don't watch Tucker Carlson though so maybe not?

Wtf is wrong with you. Sort yourself out. And get rid of those stupid gang tags. So embarrassing.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
the obsession with this idea that the truth matters more than compelling fiction is why dems go in cycles of foot shooting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

spreading disinfo and muddying the waters is actually good tbh, it's just a weapon. Like violence is bad but we can probably agree that the strategic use of violence can create good

I know this is a very easy thread to troll but it doesn't mean you can't try a little harder

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vasukhani posted:

hm no, being manipulated by republican lies is actually bad. sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

hm no, being manipulated by republican lies is actually bad. sorry

leftists and dems just need to get better at presenting the facts, rather than letting them speak for themselves; agitation > propaganda