Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

It's finally time to play Replicant

there's a companion to the world guide out now iirc

also you can get play arts kai figures give taro even more money thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just used whichever spear has the highest damage and never upgraded it cos I needed two giant eggs for level 2 and I never found more than 1 the whole time

Grimoire NieR is such a cool book, I definitely recommend it. The amount of lore/history they came up with that barely made it into the game itself (or didn’t at all) is amazing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I bothered to upgrade the phoenix spear but I kinda wish I hadn't. Wasn't really necessary on normal anyway. Maybe there is some middle ground spear that doesn't require the rarest eggs and pearls in all the realms for its upgrades

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s the intended way to make gold, anyway? It’s definitely not sidequests.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Fishing and farming.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dabbling in the sidequests generally gets you enough scratch to buy all the weapons with a little bit left over for some upgrading in my experience. But if you want much more than that I'm guessing the most time efficient thing would be grinding drops to sell, maybe in the junk heap. Other options would be fishing or grinding the third door in the DLC maybe? Unless you're on a platform where you can manipulate the clock I can't see gardening making sense

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Buy rice seeds for like 3k, plant/fertilize/water, change your consoles timezone or wait a real life day, collect and sell rice for like 80k.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Joke answer: Embrace tedium.

Real answer: There's a few ways, if you're going for 100% completion the game basically assumes you're engaging with the nightmare farmville sim and crops sold that aren't used for sidequests are quite profitable, same for the trash drops on common enemies, such as those in Junk Heap. Sidequests do go a long way to to earning a decent chunk of cash, though there's a fair few that are a net loss if you are not engaging in the growing system. Such as one particular sidequest in facade.

If you don't care about 100% completion selling any and all junk drops you get you don't need, is usually enough to get by, don't need all those dented scrap and whatnot if you don't care about upgrading all the weapons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of the stuff in the Grimoire NieR short stories is fuckin WILD. I really did not expect to read about Nier prostituting himself to pay for medicine or Kainé (or, most likely, the Tyrann side) masturbating every night to thoughts of killing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some of the most hosed up parts of Nier are in Grimoire Nier, yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are you making GBS threads me, game? I have to go through B2 of the Junk Heap twice? It was boring the first time!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Are you making GBS threads me, game? I have to go through B2 of the Junk Heap twice? It was boring the first time!

I realised too late that you were meant to use a bomb to break the early wall to the left and get the memory alloy from the big robot that way the first time round

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Escobarbarian posted:

I realised too late that you were meant to use a bomb to break the early wall to the left and get the memory alloy from the big robot that way the first time round

:shepicide:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The junk heap is home to what I think is the first big Yoko Taro moment of the game and it's very very funny. Incredibly minor spoilers:

You go through the Junk Heap for some random pieces of scrap metal, get to the end of the floor and have a long conversation about having to walk back out of the dungeon, where Weiss explains that teleportation magic does technically exist but everyone who has tried it dies and that's why you don't fast-travel.

Like thirty minutes later, you get to the bottom of B2 after the boss fight and you find the shopkeeper's dead mom and her boyfriend, and they were planning on abandoning their kids and running away but got killed before they could leave, and Nier realizes he's going to have to either lie to these kids or tell them the truth about the horrible thing he's found

and then you teleport directly into the shop

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Loaded up the PC version and got the full Gotta Go Fast experience thanks to it running at 100fps and you know, maybe this won't be such a bad thing when it comes to sidequest time

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The junk heap is home to what I think is the first big Yoko Taro moment of the game and it's very very funny. Incredibly minor spoilers:

You go through the Junk Heap for some random pieces of scrap metal, get to the end of the floor and have a long conversation about having to walk back out of the dungeon, where Weiss explains that teleportation magic does technically exist but everyone who has tried it dies and that's why you don't fast-travel.

Like thirty minutes later, you get to the bottom of B2 after the boss fight and you find the shopkeeper's dead mom and her boyfriend, and they were planning on abandoning their kids and running away but got killed before they could leave, and Nier realizes he's going to have to either lie to these kids or tell them the truth about the horrible thing he's found

and then you teleport directly into the shop

Ehhh not really, if you run through there again there's an elevator right by the dead mom that takes you directly up to the surface via that sidedoor you can't otherwise open.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, this game really likes to make everything a loving ordeal, doesn’t it?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pollyanna posted:

God, this game really likes to make everything a loving ordeal, doesn’t it?

Life is an ordeal.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So, finished ending C. Not sure what to do though - I've played through the main endings of Nier Automata, so I have a hunch I know what "sacrifice yourself" means - should I go through the fourth loop fully (is there any new stuff), or should I just load the save I did before the final dungeon and pick the other choice?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ymgve posted:

So, finished ending C. Not sure what to do though - I've played through the main endings of Nier Automata, so I have a hunch I know what "sacrifice yourself" means - should I go through the fourth loop fully (is there any new stuff), or should I just load the save I did before the final dungeon and pick the other choice?

The latter, there is no new stuff

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the new chapter. Late Act 2 spoilers:

gently caress, if only the whole game was like this! This chapter really shows how far we’ve come since the game first came out. Up to that point, the game was boring me to death, but everything from seeing the ship onwards pulled me in. Excellent addition to the story, and I hope any further additions are on this level.

There are some implications at the end that make me wonder how well it integrates with the rest of the plot, considering the you-know-what. But that’s for after I get to the endgame.

It’s hilarious just how much of a jump in quality it is. Almost makes up for all the running from the Village to Seafront and back :argh:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Finished the new chapter. Late Act 2 spoilers:

gently caress, if only the whole game was like this! This chapter really shows how far we’ve come since the game first came out. Up to that point, the game was boring me to death, but everything from seeing the ship onwards pulled me in. Excellent addition to the story, and I hope any further additions are on this level.

There are some implications at the end that make me wonder how well it integrates with the rest of the plot, considering the you-know-what. But that’s for after I get to the endgame.

It’s hilarious just how much of a jump in quality it is. Almost makes up for all the running from the Village to Seafront and back :argh:

I just finished that part too, I had no idea it wasn't part of the original game. It seemed to fit pretty seamlessly to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suuuuper turbo endgame spoilers: huh. I did not realize the final dungeon requires you to piece together enough info about the Shades’ origin and how they relate to humanity. I wonder if you’re just supposed to brute force the answers, or if you really are supposed to know about Replicants and Gestalts by now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished ending D and started a new game. When is the new stuff supposed to kick in? I just met Kaine for the first time, and according to someone earlier in the thread this should have been the trigger, or?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ymgve posted:

Just finished ending D and started a new game. When is the new stuff supposed to kick in? I just met Kaine for the first time, and according to someone earlier in the thread this should have been the trigger, or?

You have to play as normal until when Kaine would normally join your party, ie the end of the second time you go to the aerie.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Minor part 1 sidequest spoilers: The fisherman's gambit no longer includes being forced into working on a fishing boat for a month, this is bullshit

Also, I'm noticing that either I've been really lucky, or they're kinder with the drop rates in this version? I've got a fair chunk of goat hides sitting in my inventory from occasionally running them over with the boar, and I distinctly remember wasting an hour trying to get three of them back on the 360. That, and the entire fishing questline took me maybe 40 minutes, rather than accidentally catching a bunch of the wrong fish.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaziken386 posted:

Minor part 1 sidequest spoilers: The fisherman's gambit no longer includes being forced into working on a fishing boat for a month, this is bullshit

The quest for shark fin soup also has a different ending. In OG Nier it ended with Papa Nier and the tavern keeper saying it was a waste of effort, now it ends with Bro Nier saying it tasted delicious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, so either I’m the stupidest fuxker in the world (entirely possible) or the Aerie loving sucks poo poo, probably both.

Also holy poo poo is it super rude to give you a pale flower fetch quest right before having to wade through a whole army of shades.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BisbyWorl posted:

The quest for shark fin soup also has a different ending. In OG Nier it ended with Papa Nier and the tavern keeper saying it was a waste of effort, now it ends with Bro Nier saying it tasted delicious.
This is blatant retconning of Cavia Trolling and I will not stand for it! :argh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

housemate is playing the game and complaining to me about flowers ahahahaha

also could i get a confirmation if this brief ending guide is correct:

ending a - play act 1 and act 2
ending b - replay act 2
ending c - replay final fight of act 2
ending d - replay final fight of act 2
ending e - restart from act 1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

C&D require 100% weapon collection too and you need to replay the second half again, not just reload your last save.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh fuuuuuck the Forest of Myth making you repeat the storybook dreams every time you answer wrong. Especially that death castle one - I think I went in every single direction and drowned before going the right way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

housemate is playing the game and complaining to me about flowers ahahahaha

also could i get a confirmation if this brief ending guide is correct:

ending a - play act 1 and act 2
ending b - replay act 2
ending c - replay final fight of act 2
ending d - replay final fight of act 2
ending e - restart from act 1

Close, C&D need you to collect all the weapons and you have to start over from act 2 because there are also a few new story beats dropped in for the C playthrough. D route is identical to C through to the end of the final fight so there’s nothing missed there..

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Grimoire NieR is such a cool book, I definitely recommend it. The amount of lore/history they came up with that barely made it into the game itself (or didn’t at all) is amazing

Did they ever come out with an English translation of that one? I just did a quick scan of Amazon and it looks like it's still Japanese only.

Edit: Nevermind, I completely forgot about the fan translation Google Doc. Whoops. Here's the link if anyone else wants it.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 27, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Remember to keep an eye on your Steam status.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BisbyWorl posted:

Remember to keep an eye on your Steam status.

I wonder what triggers this? I don't have anything on mine yet. :(

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I'm feeling pretty dumb, how do I actually do the Combo + Magic Charging? The tutorial for it sounds similar but I feel like I'm missing something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Loaded up my clear file for the first time. Big post-game spoilers:

God, I forgot about this story at the beginning. It hurt 10 years ago, and it still hurts today.

Poor Kaine. :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So just for comparison's sake I listened to some of the original game soundtrack songs on Youtube vs the sqrt(1.5) version and I have to say I'm really impressed by how they improved on some already great music.

The changes they made to "Snow in Summer" makes the opening even more intriguing and compelling imo with how it slowly grows in intensity until you get to the very end.

I'm really, really, really hoping the game gives an explanation for wtf that intro was all about because it's just so...odd. If I didn't already know this was a Yoko Taro game that intro would've put me on my toes about how this game isn't all what it seems.

Because the first act at least just seems like a completely normal, standard action JRPG but I know that isn't the case and I'm waiting for the :psyduck: to come out.

I suppose Automata was kind of like that too, Route A is very normal except for the whole fake out on the aliens all being dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno what this room where I can't run wants from me, I end up pushing the stick just a skoutch too far and I start jogging.