Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Along with all the other criticisms, I feel like this cartoon would at least have worked better if all the kids weren't Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Even with equality, Branco has the least advantaged figure work extra hard to get a sub-par experience with their face just barely poking above the fence.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Nick Anderson

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Joe Heller

(I enjoy watching QI and I always wonder if Matt Davies's last name is pronounced "davees" or "davis".)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

I had to back up and reread this a couple times to get the point. The "if global warming, why cold?" format is evolving. The claim is that AOC refers to hot weather as "climate change," but then when severe winter storms show up she says "that's just weather." In reality, she and others who accept the science frequently point out that climate change can lead to more intense winter storms.

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting

(Do I bold nominations or not?)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jurgan posted:

DV can correct me, but I think search has been fixed so that it doesn't matter.

Which reminds me, though, that I should rework my scanner for "Kellies" rather than "Gaybies".

e: goddamn, I'm a moron. "Why is the scanner not picking up any nominations?" Because I forgot to change the thread ID :doh:

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The whole point of the original cartoon is that the final kid couldn't see the game at all, having all kids be able to see from the beginning is a completely different scenario that just makes the metaphor incomprehensible.

Also, what does critical race theory (If that is what CRT on the shovel is supposed to be) have to do with this at all?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think it's a poorly executed version of a conservative "argument" I've heard before: in order for everyone to be equal, smarter people have to voluntarily dumb themselves down so that everyone is at the same level. Otherwise, according to right-wing gospel, things wouldn't be "fair" according to their straw man liberals.

It's a piss poor understanding of affirmative action, as well as the demands of people who call for equity. Morons like Branco think that rights are a finite resource that you have to take away from group A so that group B lives like kings and queens and doesn't do any work.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

DV can correct me, but I think search has been fixed so that it doesn't matter.

Which reminds me, though, that I should rework my scanner for "Kellies" rather than "Gaybies".

e: goddamn, I'm a moron. "Why is the scanner not picking up any nominations?" Because I forgot to change the thread ID :doh:

So here's something interesting! Remember how March 4 was supposed to be the Real Inauguration and Trump was going to take over?

Before March 4, Kellies nominations were fairly sparse - one every couple pages, if that.

After March 4, Kellies nominations accelerated hard - more pages have a nomination than don't.

I just thought that was interesting.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:chillpill:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:perfect:

also blue virus with trans flag is cute.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nomination for best edit/parody. Best thing I've seen all day.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

:five:

Kellies nomination: Best Edit/Parody

e: Jesus. Zero score, communist Red, anarchist Yellow, trans Blue, level 14, virus 88, Debt in his hand... Pants Donkey, this is a masterpiece.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 27, 2021

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

She is Donkeymandias, queen of queens, look upon her works and be willfully dense!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 27, 2021

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The argument has started again between states and the federal government over how Australia deals with quarantine: Basil (blue) is federal, Sybil (pink) is the states. Currently most overseas travellers need to quarantine in city hotels run by the states which is not an ideal environment for quarantine long term. Quarantine is meant to be organised federally - it is in the constitution - but the states moved in to deal with it because someone had to do something and the federal government was happy to let someone else take the blame when things go wrong.

Rowe:

Facebook removes Craig Kelly's page, says former Liberal MP breached misinformation policies (ABC)
Also: A Helpful Guide For Craig Kelly, Who Is Having A 'Woke' Crisis Over Cyberpunk 2077 (Kotaku)

Wilcox:

National Archives of Australia warns historical recordings, films and images could soon be lost (ABC)

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Western Australian premier Mark McGowan. Perth was the latest outbreak from hotel quarantine, and McGowan is the one who brought up how the federal government needs to some up with something else to deal with quarantine than rely on hotels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, what does critical race theory (If that is what CRT on the shovel is supposed to be) have to do with this at all?

I don't know that I've ever heard any right wing criticism of CRT other than "it's cultural Marxism" and "it creates division between races," but neither one of those really fits since all three men in the cartoon are black, and it looks like it's saying that CRT is somehow responsible for putting the tall one in a hole too deep for him to see the game.

So what I think the idea is, and I'm not actually 100% sure, is that critical race theory absolves people of color of any responsibility and effort. Because critical race theory teaches that racism takes multiple forms and that racism inherent in many systems leaves people of color disadvantaged. So to the right, that means that CRT is teaching minorities "All you have to do is claim that anything bad that happens to you is because of racism and nothing is your fault." So I think (maybe) the idea is the tall black man used the CRT shovel to dig a hole to stand in so he can't see the game, and rather than climb out of the hole he created himself, he just says "It's whitey's fault I can't see the game! I demand justice!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

He is Donkeymandias, king of kings, look upon his works and be willfully dense!
It’s she, actually :eng101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think it's a poorly executed version of a conservative "argument" I've heard before: in order for everyone to be equal, smarter people have to voluntarily dumb themselves down so that everyone is at the same level. Otherwise, according to right-wing gospel, things wouldn't be "fair" according to their straw man liberals.

It's a piss poor understanding of affirmative action, as well as the demands of people who call for equity. Morons like Branco think that rights are a finite resource that you have to take away from group A so that group B lives like kings and queens and doesn't do any work.

Branco read Harrison Bergeron and didn't realize it was satire.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know that I've ever heard any right wing criticism of CRT other than "it's cultural Marxism" and "it creates division between races," but neither one of those really fits since all three men in the cartoon are black, and it looks like it's saying that CRT is somehow responsible for putting the tall one in a hole too deep for him to see the game.

So what I think the idea is, and I'm not actually 100% sure, is that critical race theory absolves people of color of any responsibility and effort. Because critical race theory teaches that racism takes multiple forms and that racism inherent in many systems leaves people of color disadvantaged. So to the right, that means that CRT is teaching minorities "All you have to do is claim that anything bad that happens to you is because of racism and nothing is your fault." So I think (maybe) the idea is the tall black man used the CRT shovel to dig a hole to stand in so he can't see the game, and rather than climb out of the hole he created himself, he just says "It's whitey's fault I can't see the game! I demand justice!"

Lord, that hadn't even occurred to me.

If only Tony Branco were a good cartoonist!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Rush posted:

Now everyone’s made equal, by hatchet, axe, and saw! :eyepop:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

Branco read Harrison Bergeron and didn't realize it was satire.

Had to look this up, but it's exactly what I had in mind. This is what Branco believes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Aren't those kids in the comic watching the game for free? They're stealing entertainment! I didn't know Branco was down with redistributing the wealth.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't think he put any thought into it beyond "the left are the REAL racists!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jurgan posted:

no longer matters, I just searched the thread for "nomin" (but I recommend using "Kellies nomination" every time for clarity of intent)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, still president of Somalia for the moment, is clinging on to the rope. I'm guessing the guy in the Somalia car is one of the parliamentary leaders who agreed to extend the president's term for two years.

e: Actually it might be Fahad Yasin Haji Dahir, the Somali intelligence chief who secures a lot of Qatari funding for the government.

Others with a few more LABELS:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 27, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Selachian posted:

And now, some more Carey Orr cartoons from the 1946 Chicago Tribune.

Orr really, really hated war loans to Europe.

omg, it's Natasha from before she got her big break in the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" show!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Some unabashed A Wyatt Mann poo poo that I expect to see in decal form on the rear windows of patrol cars near the pissing Calvin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lol what is this even? Is there supposed to be some joke in there?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, I think that comic is meant to be critical of the police, maybe, but that pun is literally a white supremacist slogan they've been using pretty much since Ferguson.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

CACKLE POWER ENGAGED

We all know how Kamala Harris chortled when asked if she had planned on visiting the border.

Maybe she laughed because she enjoys seeing people locked up. After all, that was her job as prosecutor for many years. She locked away non-violent marijuana offenders while laughing about how she enjoyed smoking weed herself.

The Biden regime’s second in command has a book out titled, “Superheroes Are Everywhere.” The cover features a smiling Kamala with a gleaming US capitol dome in the background. To statists like Harris, government itself is a superhero as it steals money from the public’s labor and wastes it on war, pork, bureaucracy, and corruption. Hillary also had a children’s book out when she was running for president. A comic book showed Hillary as a superhero. Harris is a Hillary operative so it’s no wonder Kamala has followed the same template.

Both Biden and Harris were the least popular and worst performers on the Democrat debate stages. Kamala had to drop out. Biden did poorly in the initial primaries. The Deep State Cabal rescued Biden and installed him as president. Yes, the election was stolen. China Joe’s presidency is not legitimate. Kamala is a stroke or stopped heartbeat away from becoming the Cackler in Chief.

That’s no laughing matter.

—Ben Garrison

I guess 'laughing' is going to be the standard depiction of Kamala Harris on the right the way 'eyes closed, head tilted' was for Obama.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The punchline should've been putting a sheet over the cage so you can't see the people inside, or shoving all the cameras filming it aside or something. This punchline makes it so she literally has a superpower.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
dissapear :laugh:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Taking a bold stand against the widespread social ill of our time, overenthusiastic hugging. What?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Angepain posted:

Taking a bold stand against the widespread social ill of our time, overenthusiastic hugging. What?

There is still a pandemic going on

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Look, this comic isn't wrong, but it's incredibly "you gotta give me the fangs" adjacent

In a thread obsessed with Rall, it still somehow manages to be the only strip that is actively unpleasant to look at, and where the author clearly has absolutely no business using a visual medium.

Well, maybe it's tied with Branco.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Would have been nice if we had this for the Patriot Act.

Nomination: Worst 'a thing happened' cartoon

Nomination: Worst Comic about a tragedy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's absolutely a bad faith argument from Garrison, the Kamala book thing is pretty gross.
Edit:
So yea turned out not to be the case and I was duped by it.

Ambitious Spider fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 27, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

steinrokkan posted:

it still somehow manages to be the only strip that is actively unpleasant to look at,

Even among all those disgusting cartoons from the UK and Australia?

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

The punchline should've been putting a sheet over the cage so you can't see the people inside, or shoving all the cameras filming it aside or something. This punchline makes it so she literally has a superpower.

Yeah lol, I mean, also,
having people in cages = bad,
removing people from the cages = worse? Because she did it while laughing?

It's like, yes, letting people out of the cages WOULD solve the problem. And that would be... bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's absolutely a bad faith argument from Garrison, the Kamala book thing is pretty gross.

How so? The only story I can find on it that isn't from Fox News has details like that it turned out that like a copy of it was found among a pile of other books donated by some person. It'd be like blaming Obama if a random copy of some book he wrote showed up.