Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There are about a billion funky hitboxes in DS1 and DS3 too

DS2 does have the most bullshit grabs tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Ds3 is good, but it’s still the worst of the souls games IMO.

I dont know how you can say this when DS2 has the agility stat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I dont know how you can say this when DS2 has the agility stat.

DS2 interesting things with the formula with some hits and some misses (adaptability) both narratively and mechanically whereas DS3 just plays like a worse bloodborne and is a boring rehash of DS1 story-wise. I will always enjoy a more experimental game that does cool poo poo over just a solid sequel that does nothing interesting.

also bellbros for life

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 26, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I agree in some ways - DS2 is interesting for trying different things, and gets kinda a worse rap then it deserves, but I still can't put DS3 below it personally because DS3 is still just a far more fun game for me to play. "Worse Bloodborne" feels like a weird critique when it still means a much more fluid game then DS1 or 2. Not to mention it gets to keep shields and doesn't have that garbage rear end health vial system.

It's funny though, I do feel like one of my most Souls-y emergent gameplay stories comes from DS2. I played through DS1 mostly following that mentality of summons as a last resort. DS2, upon realizing you lose health each time you die, and that going human restores you max health, and successful summons turn you human again, I played into co-op a lot more. About to fight a boss but I don't have max health? Drop a soapstone, get human again, then gently caress it, I'm human, might as well make the most of it a summon people/NPCs.

I remember working my way through the back end of Shrine of Amana, and I think I kept getting summoned by the same person to help with the last segment/boss. After several failed attempts, we almost seemingly independently came to the same conclusion of "lets cheese this with a bow." There was much rejoicing to be had in the form of spinning on the spot and emoting.

Though, I want to take a moment to complain about something that always irritated me about DS2 (Scholar) - the stupid petrified stuff and branches. I think this is a byproduct of them rebalancing parts of the game, but it felt almost comical to me how many times my path got arbitrarily blocked by petrified things. Something about the message you'd get about something being in the way or whatever would always conjure up images of that old math problem meme, in which someone had answered some problem about acceleration across a ramp or something with "no, an elephant is in the way."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DS2's weird experimental stuff is interesting to observe from a distance and write down in your little notebook like you're the world's least useful property surveyor, but as far as playing it goes it feels terrible from start to finish and some abstract sense that it's Doing Things Differently can't make up for that.

Andrast posted:

There are about a billion funky hitboxes in DS1 and DS3 too

Interesting. Tell me more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I think I agree in some ways - DS2 is interesting for trying different things, and gets kinda a worse rap then it deserves, but I still can't put DS3 below it personally because DS3 is still just a far more fun game for me to play. "Worse Bloodborne" feels like a weird critique when it still means a much more fluid game then DS1 or 2. Not to mention it gets to keep shields and doesn't have that garbage rear end health vial system.

It's funny though, I do feel like one of my most Souls-y emergent gameplay stories comes from DS2. I played through DS1 mostly following that mentality of summons as a last resort. DS2, upon realizing you lose health each time you die, and that going human restores you max health, and successful summons turn you human again, I played into co-op a lot more. About to fight a boss but I don't have max health? Drop a soapstone, get human again, then gently caress it, I'm human, might as well make the most of it a summon people/NPCs.

I remember working my way through the back end of Shrine of Amana, and I think I kept getting summoned by the same person to help with the last segment/boss. After several failed attempts, we almost seemingly independently came to the same conclusion of "lets cheese this with a bow." There was much rejoicing to be had in the form of spinning on the spot and emoting.

Though, I want to take a moment to complain about something that always irritated me about DS2 (Scholar) - the stupid petrified stuff and branches. I think this is a byproduct of them rebalancing parts of the game, but it felt almost comical to me how many times my path got arbitrarily blocked by petrified things. Something about the message you'd get about something being in the way or whatever would always conjure up images of that old math problem meme, in which someone had answered some problem about acceleration across a ramp or something with "no, an elephant is in the way."

I don't think faster/more fluid souls gameplay inherently makes dark souls combat better since I think slower more methodical souls gameplay is just as fun as the faster bloodborne stuff. Aside from the vial system being kind of assy, I can't really think of a single thing DS3 does better combat-wise than bloodborne. Don't get me wrong though, I think all the souls games are great and I'll play these games forever if they keep making them.

If there is one thing DS2 nailed it was the multiplayer aspects (both PvP and coop). It was a shame DS3 lost so much of the fun systems there. The faster Estus in DS3 also makes perfect sense for the normal enemies but it really makes the PvP a chore since running away and chugging estuses is made trivially easy.

The unnerfed Shrine of Amana was too beautiful for this world. It was pure hate condensed into a video game level.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah you could make the same montage about basically ever boss that's not a person shape in 1.

Lord knows I've been swept off the platform by a nonexistent tip of Bed Of Chaos's branches about 400 times. Hell I still don't know exactly where the damage on half of gaping dragons poo poo is actually happening.

You can get huffy however you want Dabir but I don't think the hitboxes are significantly worse than DeS or DS 1. Especially not bad enough to have this pissy breakdown cause some people said 'I think I prefer this game.'

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

I don't think faster/more fluid souls gameplay inherently makes dark souls combat better since I think slower more methodical souls gameplay is just as fun as the faster bloodborne stuff. Aside from the vial system being kind of assy, I can't really think of a single thing DS3 does better combat-wise than bloodborne. Don't get me wrong though, I think all the souls games are great and I'll play these games forever if they keep making them.

If there is one thing DS2 nailed it was the multiplayer aspects (both PvP and coop). It was a shame DS3 lost so much of the fun systems there. The faster Estus in DS3 also makes perfect sense for the normal enemies but it really makes the PvP a chore since running away and chugging estuses is made trivially easy.

The unnerfed Shrine of Amana was too beautiful for this world. It was pure hate condensed into a video game level.
It doesn't matter what DS3 does better then Bloodborne (its having shields* and being 60 fps) because its combat is better then DS1 and DS2. At least personally.

Considering I played Scholar, I dont think I want to know what unnerfed Amana was like.

* I'm being a bit of an rear end here, BB would probably not be better with shields, but every time I died to a stupid weenie enemy with a flail attack that interrupted my swing, that stupid "shields engender passivity" message hung in the back of my mind. Part of me really just does not gel with the parry/regain system, because as well as it is designed, I can't deal with risking a parry and eating poo poo when I'm like 20 minutes out from a lamp. There's too much risk, and I'm too awful at reading/learning parry.

Ironically, I played a lot of DS3 without a shield (prior to playing BB) - but that was because there was so many enemies I could just flatten or annulate with my UGS.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah you could make the same montage about basically ever boss that's not a person shape in 1.

Lord knows I've been swept off the platform by a nonexistent tip of Bed Of Chaos's branches about 400 times. Hell I still don't know exactly where the damage on half of gaping dragons poo poo is actually happening.

You can get huffy however you want Dabir but I don't think the hitboxes are significantly worse than DeS or DS 1. Especially not bad enough to have this pissy breakdown cause some people said 'I think I prefer this game.'

lmao goons still doing the "everyone but me is a furious baby, that means I'm right" thing in 2021

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dark souls

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yardbomb posted:

Raise your shield dummy

No no, you drop your shield.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Perfect.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

They all own.

3's got polish but it really did feel too safe.

And yes bellbros for life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

They all own.

3's got polish but it really did feel too safe.

And yes bellbros for life.

Bellbros was the most fun poo poo. Wish the rat friend covenant was as good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wanna talk about Woolie failing so many checks in Disco Elysium now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Grouchio posted:

I wanna talk about Woolie failing so many checks in Disco Elysium now.

Him failing the 70+% checks was pretty funny. I'm still watching the stream from last week, about 2 hours and 10 minutes into it not sure how far ahead that is compared to the last youtube video he put out yesterday

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Is DE a game that you don’t want to spoiled, or is it varied enough each play through that watching an LP wouldn’t ruin too much?

I ask because what little I know about it makes it seem like a game specifically made just for me, but also a game I want to see other people play.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You see less than half the game after 1 run.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Dabir posted:

lmao goons still doing the "everyone but me is a furious baby, that means I'm right" thing in 2021

Mate, you're being a toffee.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I really appreciate that Woolie continued doing LPs with other people and not solo, which is surprisingly hard to find on the internet. Reggie especially has very good vibes

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

mistermojo posted:

I really appreciate that Woolie continued doing LPs with other people and not solo, which is surprisingly hard to find on the internet. Reggie especially has very good vibes

Yeah, and Minh also grew on me after a lackluster first impression.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Is DE a game that you don’t want to spoiled, or is it varied enough each play through that watching an LP wouldn’t ruin too much?

I ask because what little I know about it makes it seem like a game specifically made just for me, but also a game I want to see other people play.

There's lots of stuff that's late game for a lot of players that can end up early game for others because they pass a ridiculous check or just notice a thread and follow it, leading to some insight or conclusion most people don't figure out until much later, if ever.

First quarter of the game is pretty safe for most things, but if you want to play it I'd strongly suggest just diving in and watching the LPs after so your preconceptions on certain conversations aren't already there going into them.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

If you're going to play it, I'll report that the humor and course of events is really fun when you don't know what's coming, or what the potential consequences of your words/deeds are. I would urge you to play it first.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Thanks, gonna dive in and purchase it on the switch because being able to smoke cigarettes while playing seems appropriate.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Do we know yet if Woolie is going to see the choice to *REAL-rear end SPOILER* shoot Cunoesse in Disco Elysium? Like, has he gotten to that point in a stream that hasn't been posted on Youtube yet?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Mate, you're being a toffee.

He seems to have waged an eternal war against any person that's ever enjoyed Dark Souls 2. It's a hell of a thing but I suppose we all have our windmills to tilt at.

Also DS2 is the best for all of the reasons stated above. Powerstancing was genuinely better than anything that came before or after it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Dark Souls 2 let you make an incredibly good bareknuckled boxing build if you got the right gear and grinded the right covenants. Beating the Fume Knight to death with your bare hands was amazing. Also Dark Souls 3 was terrible, bring back slow chunky combat. Although ironically I think Dark Eater Midir is actually a joke if you are using a sword and board build.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The dks3 system was more refined, but the weapons were less interesting I feel(Outside of a few obvious ones like wolf boi flippy sword)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

artoriases greatsword was cooler in ds2 because it had a unique moveset if you used it in ur left hand.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You do understand that not liking a game you like isn't a personal attack, yes?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Guys, we’re all losing sight of what’s really important: which entry had the best Fashion Souls

it’s 3

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Dabir posted:

You do understand that not liking a game you like isn't a personal attack, yes?

You're being more intense than anyone you're talking to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

You're being more intense than anyone you're talking to.

And?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im sorry u have bad opinions ie the best dark souls game, (it is 2)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

They're calling you a hypocrite. Because you're being hypocritical.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Dark Souls 2 let you make an incredibly good bareknuckled boxing build if you got the right gear and grinded the right covenants. Beating the Fume Knight to death with your bare hands was amazing. Also Dark Souls 3 was terrible, bring back slow chunky combat. Although ironically I think Dark Eater Midir is actually a joke if you are using a sword and board build.

Cestus only DS2 was so loving fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They're calling you a hypocrite. Because you're being hypocritical.

I'm expressing my opinion on a bad video game without attacking anyone else and I'm getting poo poo like

Roobanguy posted:

im sorry u have bad opinions ie the best dark souls game, (it is 2)

in response so no, I'm not.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also dabir the only person doing what you're accusing everyone else of in this thread is you. Just relax man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

You're entitled to your long term amnesia, but I played it start to end this year.

Like you started the convo off with incredibly aggressive poo poo like this.l when everyone else was just chatting.

Thats why everyone's making fun of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like you started the convo off with incredibly aggressive poo poo like this.l when everyone else was just chatting.

Thats why everyone's making fun of you

alright, I did forget I said that, fair

and I stand by it