Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i dunno this jfk poo poo is like the 9/11 stuff but even more played out. like, yeah ok jfk not dying woulda changed EVERYTHING. the last time before the CIA ops took over, for sure.
i mean bush did 9/11 and now he's on jimmy kimmel shilling a book about the lovely paintings he did after murdering a million iraqis. and obamanetflix after bringing slavery back to libya.
i dunno jfk would probably be hanging on epstein's island like bill clinton or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd forgotten about this tweet until someone randomly liked a reply to it from years ago. Imagine mustering the energy to lie about knowing what Chapo is, in the sphere that Evans occupies

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1133143428076900352?s=20

Like it would be so much easier to just never bring them up, you don't have to pretend they're so far beneath you that you don't even know who they are lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

I'd forgotten about this tweet until someone randomly liked a reply to it from years ago. Imagine mustering the energy to lie about knowing what Chapo is, in the sphere that Evans occupies

Like it would be so much easier to just never bring them up, you don't have to pretend they're so far beneath you that you don't even know who they are lol

Jake Hanrahan? I remember that name

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1269051661215043590

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Deified Data posted:

he is still pretending this lol

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Deified Data posted:

lol he said the same thing last week in the BTB thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in non-deeply concerned with what podcasters think and say news, radio war nerd's second part on the Tang dynasty's invasion of Korea is pretty great

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

lol he said the same thing last week in the BTB thread

what’s his username I want to call him mean names

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

joepinetree posted:

Mostly academic stuff, so not necessarily light reading, but all in one form or another touch on it (sorry for the weird spacing, dont know why my citation manager software added it):

Amadae, S. M. (2003). Rationalizing Capitalist Democracy: The Cold War Origins of Rational Choice Liberalism. Chicago IL, University of Chicago Press.

Fourcade, M. (2009). Economists and Societies. Princeton NJ, Princeton University Press.

Giraud, Y. (2014). Negotiating the 'Middle of the Road' Position: Paul Samuelson, MIT, and the Politics of Textbook Writing, 1945-­‐55. MIT and the Transformation of American Economics. E. R. Weintraub. Durham, NC, Duke University Press: 134-­‐152.

Hutcheson, P. A. (1997). McCarthyism and the Professoriate: A Historiographic Nightmere? Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research 12. J. C. Smart and W. Tierney. New York, NY, Agathon Press (Kluwer)

Solberg, W. and R. Tomilson (1997). "Academic McCarthyism and Keynesian Economics: the Bowen Controversy at the University of Illinois." History of Political Economy29(1): 55-­‐81.

wow good poo poo, thanks op

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Danger posted:

yea that’s an odd criticism for them specifically as of course their main focus is the material conditions that would converge and fracture at and around that day and not the day itself as some isolated thing. they’ve explicitly stated that they are historical materialists.

that is not how materialism works, thats loving nonsense lmao.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

err posted:

I hope Chapo quit paying Virgil

It's weird that he can't just be on both. It's not like he talks on either of them.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

These interview about that journalist exposing cop gangs was good, though wtf is with Will sling off its true stree wears a vest, dumb move

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is a thread for non-political podcasts as well

media consumption is politics so this is impossible

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I haven't listened to part 2 yet, because part 1 being based on JFK was shor because he was a threat thi the establishment hell is Boomer brained mythology

You don't think Dulles was a little pissed at being fired...?
And the point they get into is that even wanting to only do like 90% of the evil imperialist poo poo was seen as being too obstinate and as a threat.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Johnson was a better president anyway

RFK’s assassination is far more of a “stolen future” moment imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Johnson was a better president anyway

:wrong:

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

RFK’s assassination is far more of a “stolen future” moment imo

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I try to plug Tides of History in this thread and that deals with stone/bronze age history so it has almost no political valence. And then you have Radio War Nerd's episodes about the Tang invasions of Korea which was mentioned here and also earlier about the Sui dynasty invasion, all very good stuff and barely relevant to modern politics. I liked that it Mark Ames hinted that they might try to have Kim on again to talk about the Korean War and get a Korean perspective on that.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Slanderer posted:

that is not how materialism works, thats loving nonsense lmao.

I am confusing words there, I meant maybe dialectical. I'm meaning that history is not discrete events.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grevling posted:

I try to plug Tides of History in this thread and that deals with stone/bronze age history so it has almost no political valence. And then you have Radio War Nerd's episodes about the Tang invasions of Korea which was mentioned here and also earlier about the Sui dynasty invasion, all very good stuff and barely relevant to modern politics. I liked that it Mark Ames hinted that they might try to have Kim on again to talk about the Korean War and get a Korean perspective on that.

I like tides of history but I always listen to it in a big chunk whenever i run out of other podcasts. Im looking forward to when he covers the Bronze Age Collapse since I find that a lot more interesting than neolithic stuff.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

I like tides of history but I always listen to it in a big chunk whenever i run out of other podcasts. Im looking forward to when he covers the Bronze Age Collapse since I find that a lot more interesting than neolithic stuff.

I'm still interested in population migrations during the decline of civilizations; like, Petra used to be a pretty lively place and it flourished, but where exactly did everyone go once it started to fail and vanish?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah for sure, it will probably take a while to get to this but I'm sure it's going to be a hell of a lot more in-depth than what you get most places, I've only read 1177 and I'm really looking forward to that since generally he show seems to be pretty up to date when it comes to research, to the point where it's hard to really digest because it's so dense on info. For the first farmers in Europe episode I had to read one of the books he used for his research for it to really sink in what was going on.

Victory Position posted:

I'm still interested in population migrations during the decline of civilizations; like, Petra used to be a pretty lively place and it flourished, but where exactly did everyone go once it started to fail and vanish?

This is so interesting to me too since both in the historical records and in archeology there seem to be so many of these apparent crises and falls in population. Did a lot of people die? Sometimes it almost seems like people are at pains to find some other explanation. After the bronze age collapse authority just might have became more decentralized and people started to organize in more local ways, that might have been a little better than what came before for many people. But when the first culture that colonized Central Europe collapsed there is evidence for warfare, trade routes ending, massacres, even cannibalism along with the apparent drop in population. And genetic evidence seems to show a lot of hosed up things happening, for example people being found in graves of the Cordial Ware culture which might have been associated with the spread of Indo-European languages where you find maternal ancestry from the farmer population already living there and paternal ancestry from the steppes. That might also be sort of related to modern politics since the interpretation of archeological evidence of change, whether they thought it was evidence of migrations or invasions or if it was just cultural diffusion, seems to have hinged on people's ideologies a lot. The Cold War also factored into this, I've read, making people more willing to reject warfare as an explanation in favor of peaceful exchange.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I was pretty iffy on tides but it’s actually really good. idk why I thought it was a lovely pop culture thing. maybe the network it’s on. there are some bad podcasts on that network

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

a Loving Dog posted:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

a Loving Dog posted:

Gunfondler42069

For real

Posts in RGD in the “machetes” thread

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Deified Data posted:

i dont even own a tv

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

for anyone who listened to episode 2 of the new season of BLOWBACK, esp re: the latter half covering the revolution, i highly recommend checking out soderbergh's CHE: PART ONE, starring benecio del torro as che, which is a great and as far as i can tell quite accurate retelling of the landing of the granma, the time in the sierra maestra, and up to the winning of the revolutionary war. it's on criterion if you have it, and also the pirate bay etc of course

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DcBafO6-IE

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Paffgen posted:

And the point they get into is that even wanting to only do like 90% of the evil imperialist poo poo was seen as being too obstinate and as a threat.

the cia's conflict with jfk was similar to trump's: the issue was who, specifically, was getting in on the grift and setting the imperial geopolitical agenda, not whether either of those things should be done. "do less imperialism" was never anyone's goal and is as whoever said a dumb boomer lib trope that ignores everything jfk actually did. for jfk the cias sin was embarrassing him and questioning the genius of his particular dipshit ivy friends, not being evil

imagine zuckerberg or musk being president (if president was still a powerful enough thing for either to want it) -- there'd obviously be conflict between the existing powers in the cia, world bank, etc. and whatever cabal of behavioral economist sv bros the admin installed, but none of it is about "fighting the establishment" (since they both are) or "not doing heinous evil" (since they both happily do), just which flavor of overconfident sociopath gets to sit at which chair at the table

in the end both won. jfk sploded and the natsec state fully ossified into the government structure, but the slightly different subspecies of technocrat that jfk was seeding into the bureaucracy took root and is the ancestor of the modern lanyard

tldr jfk is trump and mayo pete is the synthesis of his assassination

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ICP is taking an interesting turn

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
has ICP ever been on cumtown

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

drinking faygo with your dad

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

death at the wing is a good popdcast imo. i like listening to it :)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

has ICP ever been on cumtown

they should

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

adams gay

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Paffgen posted:

There's a difference if you want to say JFK was either directly assassinated or allowed to be assassinated by an asset that may or may not have gone rogue for petty revenge for being fired & saying that person was a threat to the status quo. Firing Dulles doesn't mean JFK wanted to wind down the Cold War.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

We are like the poster who posts, and then lives inside the post. But who is the poster?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
for every adam you don't suck off, im going to suck off three

catching up on the last 4 weeks of cumtown since i fell behind, A+

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

updated my iphone and they somehow made the apple podcast app even worse — HOW??!!?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

updated my iphone and they somehow made the apple podcast app even worse — HOW??!!?

one butan lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i try to avoid updating apple apps whenever possible because they always just get shittier. it's a remarkable track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think i stopped using it about 4 or 5 years ago when they made it unusable. im surprised they managed to keep making it worse

i swapped to pocketcasts, it's very nice other than some pirated streams block it