Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021
I'll be honest in the past couple of years, I started purely buying games if I am confident I'll have a reasonable chance of playing them. My groups are very adaptable but there's a lot that will just not interest anyone but me, so I pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Insert “goldrush morality” argument here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nordic Weasel guy posted:

I'll be honest in the past couple of years, I started purely buying games if I am confident I'll have a reasonable chance of playing them. My groups are very adaptable but there's a lot that will just not interest anyone but me, so I pass.

This kind of thinking only leads to trad gaming being more of a wasteland than it is already. Personally I love supporting smaller creators who are doing something interesting, even if I know whatever game will never see my table.

Sometimes game books are cool to read, you know?

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This kind of thinking only leads to trad gaming being more of a wasteland than it is already. Personally I love supporting smaller creators who are doing something interesting, even if I know whatever game will never see my table.

They are. But playing them is even cooler.

I guess there's some sort of misunderstanding: I am not saying not to buy games, but if my budget has one new game in it, I'm going to pick the one my group will play. Both writers are equally deserving of that money right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

i'm gonna be honest, guilting someone into feeling bad for not buying things they aren't going to use, because someone might make $8 off a pdf sale, is lovely

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

Backlogs anonymous, on deck. The trouble is always the setup. Probably why lighter stuff seems to make it to the table more for my group(s) even though I like crunch.
But yeah it's normal.

Right now I'm in the mode of just wanting to *play*, not run, so I have to keep watching for recruitment posts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Countblanc posted:

i'm gonna be honest, guilting someone into feeling bad for not buying things they aren't going to use, because someone might make $8 off a pdf sale, is lovely

It hits a little different when it is a guy who produces pdfs for a living.

They are. But playing them is even cooler.

I guess there's some sort of misunderstanding: I am not saying not to buy games, but if my budget has one new game in it, I'm going to pick the one my group will play. Both writers are equally deserving of that money right?

Oh definitely, people should buy what they can for sure. I just think that for almost every person the ability to support creators far out strips any person's ability to play games. Unless you just do tons of one shots constantly (which is rad) any person in a long term campaign or two would never be spending money on the hobby in your world.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 26, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh definitely, people should buy what they can for sure. I just think that for almost every person the ability to support creators far out strips any person's ability to play games. Unless you just do tons of one shots constantly (which is rad) any person in a long term campaign or two would never be spending money on the hobby in your world.

The problem is that following this rule introduces the "lemon problem" to RPGs. It indirectly rewards creators for not doing the difficult bits of making a game as opposed to a book - playtesting, balancing, etc - because skipping them reduces the author's costs and production time, and if this rule is in force, they'll still get just as many sales. That means that the ultimate state is that the market outside of the "big names" who can stand out, is flooded with unplayable games. And the damage done by a lemony market is massive - just witness the mess it made of computer gaming.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't think it's possible to introduce that problem to RPGs.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I absolutely follow the "not buying it unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to play it" rule for board games.

I might still follow it for RPGs if I wasn't actively designing them. The fact that I'm designing them means that a) I like to read a bunch of them to keep up with the latest developments in the art, and b) I can write them off as business expenses on my taxes, so I effectively get a discount on them. So I end up buying quite a few games I know I won't play. I'd like to buy even more to support more artists, but I do still have a budget. I'm not made of money.

And Hyphz, I don't think there's any risk of introducing the lemon problem beyond what already exists. There are plenty of unplaytested games with cool premises and poo poo mechanics already, and they serve their purpose in the hobby as people read them and have fun reading and imagining, and then adapt those ideas to whatever system they're used to using (usually 5e lol). Some people seek out games and supplements based solely on their premise, and get what they are looking for. I'm closer to the opposite - since I'm reading games to inform my design, I'm always down to read something with the innovative and fun mechanics even if the premise is kind of poo poo.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I buy plenty of RPGs that I know will likely never hit my table.

Sometimes it's because I want to strip-mine the game for mechanics (Sentinel Comics, Flying Circus), sometimes it's because I just want to read a beautiful book (Ultraviolet Grasslands, Wanderhome) and sometimes it's because I really like what the creator has done in the past and want to continue to support them (Voidheart Symphony, Wolves of God).

I will almost never buy an $8 PDF on itch. The bar for "I'm buying even though I know I won't be playing" is so much higher, and I don't think most people can hit that bar with a game that costs $8 unless it's a true zeitgeist and I just need to know what all the talk is about.

I've actually started curating a list of creators (~10 right now), who I buy their stuff sight unseen. They no longer have to sell me - I'll buy their stuff until I'm burned.

Edit: And good golly, I googled McJanda to see what she's up to and just saw she joined Rowan, Rook, and Decard.

https://rowanrookanddecard.com/welcoming-minerva-mcjanda-to-the-team/

That's industry news!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CitizenKeen posted:

I buy plenty of RPGs that I know will likely never hit my table.

Absolutely.

It's also possible to get ideas and inspiration from reading a game that you don't end up playing and use those in another game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

The problem is that following this rule introduces the "lemon problem" to RPGs. It indirectly rewards creators for not doing the difficult bits of making a game as opposed to a book - playtesting, balancing, etc - because skipping them reduces the author's costs and production time, and if this rule is in force, they'll still get just as many sales. That means that the ultimate state is that the market outside of the "big names" who can stand out, is flooded with unplayable games. And the damage done by a lemony market is massive - just witness the mess it made of computer gaming.

This argument might hold more merit if the history of TRPGs wasn't littered with slick, glossy, professionally-produced games with plenty of ostensible playtest and development time that still sucked massive amounts of poo poo. There's no actual objective measure of elfgame quality you can compare a given RPG to, and even if there was a lot of the big names would get some pretty bad marks for a lot of the products they've released. I'm sure Cthulhutech had playtesting at one point too.

Like drat man you get ragged on for having some baffling takes but "buying a game you don't wind up playing because you feel like supporting the creator will directly contribute to the downfall of the hobby" is legitimately just real bad.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Here's the thing I think is missing in the conversation:

RPG's are not my primary hobby.
They are /a/ hobby among a few I pursue (retro computing, indie bands, amateur history, miniatures. a little bit of video games) along with things I purchase for professional reasons (wargames, military history books).

If I intend to blow 100 dollars on hobby stuff next month, it's as likely to be 15mm scifi mini's, some one man dungeon synth albums off Bandcamp or some garage-build Commodore kit as it is RPG books.

I'm not prescribing what anyone should or shouldn't do.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That increasingly large domino meme but the bottom says "backing Precious Little Animals because Alex Roberts is a friend" and the top says "D&D somehow gets worse."

Then again something's made most of the big ticket games suck so it's as good of a theory as anything else.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021
I suppose a simpler way to settle this question is to determine what is the required dollar amount annually to "support the hobby"?

I looked at my paypal and I've spent 288 dollars (roughly, eye-balling some currency conversions) on RPG stuff so far this year.
That's about 70 bucks a month, though it's skewed by a few big splurges and then two months of not buying anything.

edit: Shipping is a bunch of that, so let's call it 200 to be fair.

Nordic Weasel guy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
tithing, but for nerds. you can do it after tax though, games come after caesar.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I suppose a simpler way to settle this question is to determine what is the required dollar amount annually to "support the hobby"?

I looked at my paypal and I've spent 288 dollars (roughly, eye-balling some currency conversions) on RPG stuff so far this year.
That's about 70 bucks a month, though it's skewed by a few big splurges and then two months of not buying anything.

edit: Shipping is a bunch of that, so let's call it 200 to be fair.

None of this has anything to do with "most people can play far fewer games than they can buy." You're arguing against a position you've completely invented.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like the 'people produce shiny games that are bad' is in fact a problem, but it's really not a problem at the level of indie creators most of the time.

Something like Degenesis, or Monte Cook's oeuvre, or even Maze of the Blue Medusa, is an example of 'lots of shiny art, bad game' and it's really not something that would be fixed by cutting out the entire indie sphere of made-but-not-much-played. If anything, it would exacerbate the problem, because the problem doesn't stem from a 'lemony market' it stems from people being used to seeing D&D as the standard of quality despite its quality being primarily shininess.

The problem isn't glut, it's that visible examples people get into the hobby on are

Kai Tave posted:

slick, glossy, professionally-produced games with plenty of ostensible playtest and development time that still sucked massive amounts of poo poo.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

Like drat man you get ragged on for having some baffling takes but "buying a game you don't wind up playing because you feel like supporting the creator will directly contribute to the downfall of the hobby" is legitimately just real bad.

Except that isn't what I said. I wasn't complaining about someone who singly chooses to do that; I was arguing against Lord_Hambrose's assertion that players have a moral duty to buy games they don't expect to play - not just "that they don't wind up playing", but that they know in advance they never will play - because the sum of individual levels of demand for games to play, rather than to read, is too low to sustain the number of authors in the market.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've noticed an increasing number of art books with a lite game attached, stuff like Mörk Börg or MOTHERSHIP where it's basically a zine with a rad aesthetic. They're not really breaking new ground wrt design, but I'll support stuff like that over 45 new spells for D&D 5e anyway.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Even if it was true that there is a systemic problem whereby "buying pdfs of games you don't intend to play because you want to support the author" leads to a market full of lemons...

It's not an individual's responsibility to change their behaviour to fix a systemic problem. And in fact, changing their behaviour by definition cannot fix that systemic problem. That is what systemic means!

This is the same thing where politicians get up and say that there is a systemic problem with some part of society... and so it's very important that we all do our part as individuals. That's just not how it works! That is not how systems work. Excluding going on bike rides for exercise, I have left my house about 20 times in the past year, always wearing a mask. And yet, COVID still exists. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with "doing your part." I try to do my part. But I don't believe that any of our long-standing problems can be fixed just by everyone doing their part.

If you want to support an indie designer and you have the means to do it, please do it! I promise that your individual $15 won't destroy the hobby. And it will mean a lot to the creator you are supporting.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

None of this has anything to do with "most people can play far fewer games than they can buy." You're arguing against a position you've completely invented.

You know what, let's just say you are correct and let this drop.

I am getting that feeling that either I explained my point poorly or people are arguing about something that wasn't said or both. Entirely possible it is my fault. So I'll bow out and let people have their say.

Nordic Weasel guy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 26, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You know what, let's just say you are correct and let this drop.

I am getting that feeling that either I explained my point poorly or people are arguing about something that wasn't said or both. Entirely possible it is my fault. So I'll bow out and let people have their say.
Nah you said a perfectly reasonable thing that was interpreted as an attack for some reason.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Jimbozig posted:

I promise that your individual $15 won't destroy the hobby. And it will mean a lot to the creator you are supporting.

This is true and important.
"I will buy this game and, eh, maybe play it someday" is a perfectly good reason to support an indie artist, and the scene of TTRPG creation being open to more people is in fact good. Sure, a lot of mediocre stuff will be created, but the negative effects of that are... what, more cruft? D&D won't be changed by it and that is the dragon we would need to slay to change things re: shiny bad games, anyways.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://twitter.com/moricalliope/status/1386949086872408066

Wondering if this might end up blowing even some of the big name streamer groups out of the water in terms of numbers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mors Rattus posted:

https://twitter.com/moricalliope/status/1386949086872408066

Wondering if this might end up blowing even some of the big name streamer groups out of the water in terms of numbers.

Yes, absolutely it will, vtubers are insanely popular

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Piell posted:

Yes, absolutely it will, vtubers are insanely popular

What is a vtuber?

What is a Holomyth?

Please explain for the older folks in the room.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CitizenKeen posted:

What is a vtuber?

What is a Holomyth?

Please explain for the older folks in the room.

A vtuber is a streamer who instead of using their real face uses a virtual avatar (generally an anime girl) mapped to their facial movements. Holomyth are a group of vtubers

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Streamers that use a anime character rigged to match their movements. Like a facecam, but anime.

Calli, the Storyteller from the tweet, has around 1.3 million subscribers on youtube for context. Her group, Hololive English, or HoloMyth, has 4 other members. Gura, one of the others, has well over 2.5 million subscribers. So yeah, pretty big audience. Wouldn't be surprised if Hunter the Vigil starts getting a huuuge price hike this month.

Edit: The group is the English branch of their company, but it was originally a Japanese company. Some of the other members have run Call of Cthulhu in the past, to give you an expectation on the numbers a loving Hunter the Vigil group might get in 2021.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 27, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Finding out about vtubers was when I officially figured out I'm old.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

dwarf74 posted:

There is so much poo poo in the world that I could not care less about that I pay aggressive attention to, because I don't want to be a wildly out of touch parent, just a mildly out of touch one.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

For additional additional context, CoC is also insanely popular in Japan. From what I understand, it's the default "Run whatever" system there much like people use D&D to run murder mysteries and gothic romances in the US. So it's not like HoloJapan is what put CoC on the map.

But yeah, if you run World of Darkness or Hunter games, you might want to watch highlights or something so that you know what the influx of new players are talking about.

Edit: a person using an avatar to represent their entertainment persona who is playing a fictional character. Signs and signifiers upon signs and signifiers.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 27, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somewhere RPG Pundit just had a stroke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tibalt posted:

Edit: a person using an avatar to represent their entertainment persona who is playing a fictional character. Signs and signifiers upon signs and signifiers.

Unknown Armies Animes

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhere RPG Pundit just had a stroke.

He seems like the type to have a hentai fetish and feel burning shame and rage about it, yeah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's some kind of weird Nazi sex mystic so I'm pretty sure the differences between him and Satanis are mainly a matter of style.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kurieg posted:

Unknown Armies Animes

whoa

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Halloween Jack posted:

He's some kind of weird Nazi sex mystic so I'm pretty sure the differences between him and Satanis are mainly a matter of style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udpYpsTuQf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

dwarf74 posted:

It was one of those points where I was like "poo poo, cyberpunk happened when I wasn't looking." Those are coming increasingly frequently, which is worrying.