Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is why I have 9 more funerals to do this week, starting tomorrow.

They are proud of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Ok sure I’ll concede that, but it only proves my point that you won’t only be catching 95% of cases with a 14 day quarantine. The numbers don’t pass a sniff test, given we routinely get 20 cases a day and yet it doesn’t leak through.

The only counter argument I could make to the above is that the Swiss cheese scenario of an ultra-long incubation case then becoming a super spreader is so unlikely that it means every leak so far has fizzled out, but that seems quite unlikely in comparison to it just being long enough that a test on day 11 or 12 or whatever catches them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I better start carrying a thing of pepper spray around.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

"you should respond the same way if you saw a kid being abused in a walmart"

having been to a walmart in the last six months, that response would be pretending it isn't happening

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I look forward to putting my life on hold perpetually because of 50% of the population deciding a vaccine for the common cold isn't needed.

I'll have the best view from my moral highground.

Love when people grill you with the moral ground when they should be putting effort on people who aren’t vaccinated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

boar guy posted:

you're making an unfair moral judgement, not a practical, reality-based one. these games are going to happen. im doing what i can to help mitigate the risk of it. staying at home at this point- after being vaccinated, and following all the guidance- is just being holier than thou. you can't walk around seething mad all the time because people are gonna do what they're gonna do. it ain't up to you
Just remember this easy rule of thumb - Exactly what I am doing is the proper degree of caution everyone should take. More than what I am doing is paranoid nonsense. Less than what I am doing is monstrous irresponsibility.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Rabid Snake posted:

Love when people grill you with the moral ground when they should be putting effort on people who aren’t vaccinated.

Those people should be forced into quarantine camps, not reasoned with.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

John_A_Tallon posted:

Those people should be forced into quarantine camps, not reasoned with.

yeah lets move the poor with bad access to transportation and no time off of work to camps

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nam Taf posted:

Ok sure I’ll concede that, but it only proves my point that you won’t only be catching 95% of cases with a 14 day quarantine. The numbers don’t pass a sniff test, given we routinely get 20 cases a day and yet it doesn’t leak through.

The only counter argument I could make to the above is that the Swiss cheese scenario of an ultra-long incubation case then becoming a super spreader is so unlikely that it means every leak so far has fizzled out, but that seems quite unlikely in comparison to it just being long enough that a test on day 11 or 12 or whatever catches them.

There's been several cases in Australia where people finished their 14 day quarantine and popped positive a few days afterwards. Stick that in your sniff test and see how it smells. :v:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I thought none of the vaccines made you immune to the virus. They just make it likely you wont have complications that land you in hospital ? Which means you keep wearing your mask because even if you are asymptomatic you could still have it and be spreading ?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Qmass posted:

I thought none of the vaccines made you immune to the virus. They just make it likely you wont have complications that land you in hospital ? Which means you keep wearing your mask because even if you are asymptomatic you could still have it and be spreading ?

The latest studies seem to confirm the original mRNA trials, that something like 90-95% of vaccinated people can't even contract the virus, therefore can't spread it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Qmass posted:

People are doing a Fauci “masks don’t help unless you have a doctorate” thing when they say stuff like this because they think it’ll encourage better behavior while we work to reduce infections worldwide. 5-10% of vaccinated people may still get infected and pass the virus along. I don’t think they’re anywhere remotely near being considered “part of the problem”.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 27, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I better start carrying a thing of pepper spray around.

Just lol if you don't have a pepper spray on your keys, with a lighter duct taped to it in this Borderlands 2 world we live in

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Just remember this easy rule of thumb - Exactly what I am doing is the proper degree of caution everyone should take. More than what I am doing is paranoid nonsense. Less than what I am doing is monstrous irresponsibility.

There is an additional level to covid high-horsing though, this weird quasi-religious conviction certain people have that social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene aren't sensible precautions to take against a pretty nasty disease but are sacraments, and improper observation of these sacraments will cause us all to be doomed by the Judgement Of Coronayahweh. Some are sad about this, but many seem outright *joyful* about it. I get definite doomsday cult vibes from some posts ITT, although there are pockets of other sites that make this place seem like Belarus.

I don't know how much of this is because they're just scared and stressed out after almost a year and a half of this, how much is because they're lovely people, and how much is because this is the first time that they've been able to claim the moral high ground for never leaving their goonholes, but like a lot of cult members it's just impossible to actually engage them in discussion because of that armour of self-righteousness they've built around themselves.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you go to the grocery store without an N95 mask then we will all die.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

If you think this thread is bad check out the CSPAM one. Like holy poo poo lol. It’s probably for the best that the regulars there will never reintegrate with society.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
well let's all take a good look at the numbers of dead shall we??? Over reacting cultmember shut in goons or actual virulent pandemic

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There is an additional level to covid high-horsing though, this weird quasi-religious conviction certain people have that social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene aren't sensible precautions to take against a pretty nasty disease but are sacraments, and improper observation of these sacraments will cause us all to be doomed by the Judgement Of Coronayahweh. Some are sad about this, but many seem outright *joyful* about it. I get definite doomsday cult vibes from some posts ITT, although there are pockets of other sites that make this place seem like Belarus.

I don't know how much of this is because they're just scared and stressed out after almost a year and a half of this, how much is because they're lovely people, and how much is because this is the first time that they've been able to claim the moral high ground for never leaving their goonholes, but like a lot of cult members it's just impossible to actually engage them in discussion because of that armour of self-righteousness they've built around themselves.
I've said before and I'll say it again - I don't think there's too many people being actively malicious.

I think Covid19 is scary and dangerous, and it is completely appropriate to treat it as scary and dangerous. We've also all been traumatized in various ways over this pandemic. And finally there's a lot of folks who were already suffering from anxiety, depression, or both, and this pandemic kicked all of that into overdrive (understandably). That all can get your senses of perspective pretty warped.

There's also part of it where - if you're naturally introverted or anxious - this pandemic has sanctioned (hell, sanctified) stuff that you're prone to do anyways, like stay at home and be extremely careful. So it may be tough letting go of that sense of heroism if people around you are starting to open up.

poo poo's complicated. And it's further complicated by how the pandemic isn't over yet, but people (particularly the vaccinated) are starting to explore being part of the outside world again.

I dunno, I am just spitballing and trying to keep a sense of perspective. There's a lot of well-meaning people working their way through this trauma right now, I think.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I agree that some posters seem weirdly fanatical about LOCKDOWN CAN NEVER END, WE WILL NEVER BE SAFE but I do give Fluffy Bunnies a pass because she does some kind of funeral work and I'd be loving exhausted by over a year of burying people too. Healthcare and frontline workers can get a pass as well because this should also be a place for them to vent and not just for people to whine about having to wear a mask after they're vaxxed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sjs00 posted:

well let's all take a good look at the numbers of dead shall we??? Over reacting cultmember shut in goons or actual virulent pandemic

It's possible for the pandemic to be real and dangerous, and also that two fully vaccinated people being indoors together unmasked will not lead to them mutating a new vaccine-beating variant of the virus and killing us all.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 27, 2021

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-27/vaccinated-americans-can-go-unmasked-outdoors-cdc-says

quote:

Fully-vaccinated Americans can be unmasked when exercising, dining and socializing outdoors in small groups, federal health officials said, and can gather indoors with other fully vaccinated people and family members without masks or social distancing.

But masks should remain on anywhere there’s a large gathering, including ballparks, malls or church, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday. And the agency urged that vaccinated people be mindful around those with a higher risk for severe illness.

"Hey guys, we can go outside without a chin-diaper if we get a 5G nano-injection that makes you sterile and gay!"

-Actual quote from a FB post I saw earlier today.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

fuckingtest posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-27/vaccinated-americans-can-go-unmasked-outdoors-cdc-says

"Hey guys, we can go outside without a chin-diaper if we get a 5G nano-injection that makes you sterile and gay!"

-Actual quote from a FB post I saw earlier today.

You won’t touch the poop.

It’s right there. Give it a touch.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

gohuskies posted:

It's possible for the pandemic to be real and dangerous, and also that two fully vaccinated people being indoors together unmasked will not lead to them mutating a new vaccine-beating variant of the virus and killing us all.

These two statements are so wildly incongruous, the second one might actually be scientifically inaccurate, and I'll stop posting now

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Feels like you can go places without wearing a full respirator but maybe that’s just me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

smoobles posted:

The latest studies seem to confirm the original mRNA trials, that something like 90-95% of vaccinated people can't even contract the virus, therefore can't spread it.

link? i’m very interested in knowing more on this

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

withak posted:

If you go to the grocery store without an N95 mask then we will all die.

Where I live it's literally illegal to go to the grocery store without a N95 mask, or to play soccer. So at least I can say my government has won the goon holier than thou contest on my behalf.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

But masks should remain on anywhere there’s a large gathering, including ballparks

Soccer goon is going to have to keep wearing a mask, LOL

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

link? i’m very interested in knowing more on this

Here's a link:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/if-youre-vaccinated-can-you-transmit-covid-19-what-we-know

Basically there are only 10% as many infections in vaccinated people compared to unvaccinated controls. Also, those who do get infected shed less virus if they're vaccinated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sjs00 posted:

These two statements are so wildly incongruous, the second one might actually be scientifically inaccurate, and I'll stop posting now
No, they're really not incongruous. It's completely reasonable right now for two fully vaccinated people to hang out indoors. A 90% efficacy at preventing infection - as we're seeing - is more than adequate for that.

I'm not saying hang out at Denny's or ignore all caution, but two fully vaccinated people interacting is where we're at now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Soccer goon is going to have to keep wearing a mask, LOL

i'm fine with it

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

dwarf74 posted:

Have you ever noticed that anybody taking less precautions than you is an idiot, and anyone taking more precautions than you is a maniac?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Part of it is that we'd all reacted extremely hard initially this poo poo would have been over about a year ago.
And with the new variants it does remain a threat that's possibly capable of exponential and overwhelming growth.
Even if you believe someone is wrong to advocate caution, they're only wrong by being a few months late - and if we're unlucky also a few early...

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I would really like to be wrong advocating for caution believe me

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

greazeball posted:

I agree that some posters seem weirdly fanatical about LOCKDOWN CAN NEVER END, WE WILL NEVER BE SAFE but I do give Fluffy Bunnies a pass because she does some kind of funeral work and I'd be loving exhausted by over a year of burying people too. Healthcare and frontline workers can get a pass as well because this should also be a place for them to vent and not just for people to whine about having to wear a mask after they're vaxxed.

I also want to point out that I desperately want poo poo to be able to go back to normal, but we're still posting tens of thousands of infections every single day. We're nowhere near the levels they said we needed to be at to be able to reopen safely. We pushed it last year, everyone went to Applebees, and just absolute fuckloads of people are dead now.

I'm a minister and I do online funerals, and have been doing them for a while now. It's exhausting, but it isn't the only part that's exhausting. Tractor Supply in my area went weeks without properly stocked shelves because they couldn't beg people in the warehouses to wear masks and they started fuckin' falling over dead and getting horrendously sick. That was a month ago and things haven't improved that dramatically or changed that much.

I want stuff to be normal, but numbers were a lot lower than this last May when everybody kicked down the doors and started acting like everything was normal again. They climbed and kept climbing, especially after the general public went home for the holidays and thousands were dying every single day. I worry about how bad it will be if people can't just chill out for another few months while everybody gets vaccinated.

But, gently caress it. Everything is open around me and most stores are maskless party zones, regardless of what they say on the entryways. So does it even matter? Shouldn't I just give up and go to my favorite buffets and go see movies and head to Disney World and drag my spouse home (who I haven't seen in over 16 months)? No, because I don't wanna be dead or sick or contributing to someone being dead or sick. I miss all of that stuff but I'm not entitled to risk the lives of others because I feel a certain way.

It's probably okay to go visit friends and family if everybody's fully vaccinated because everyone is in close contact. If Sue goes and visits Bill and Bill feels sick a few days later and tests positive, Sue will know to quarantine because Bill will tell her. If soccer teams 1-50 all get together and play ball and there's 400 random people in the stands, that's uncontrolled spread because nobody's going to know who was there and what was going on. The Superbowl should have been fanless. Wrestlemania should have been fanless.

I want normalcy but we're not there yet. Opening early last year cost us nearly 600,000 people. How many more have to die?

E: this is super circular but I'm also incredibly tired and we're still posting hundreds of deaths a day here in the US.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 27, 2021

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think y'all are overestimating how many people attend a 14 year old's soccer game. there are possibly fifty total people spread out across and on the sidelines of a 100*60 yard field

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 27, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
After all that noise you made yesterday you're just going to ignore the new CDC recommendations anyway LMAO

Okay dude, you do you

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

So basically he's Maxine Waters is what you're saying

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm grateful for this informative thread. Good morning my fellow goons. :love:

I continue to marvel at our good fortune at highly effective vaccines being produced so quickly. I long for Canadians and others wait to shorten.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

After all that noise you made yesterday you're just going to ignore the new CDC recommendations anyway LMAO

Okay dude, you do you

what? i said i was going to continue to wear a mask? the gently caress are you talking about man calm down and r->c->p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

boar guy posted:

what? i said i was going to continue to wear a mask? the gently caress are you talking about man calm down and r->c->p

Take a time out and calm down little buddy