Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

Both the far left and far right like to paint AOC as the radical leftist firebrand nonstop throwing molotovs. But when on capital hill she's careful about picking battles and otherwise is a dutiful party member who goes along to get along. At least according to the people I know who work on capitol hill for a living.

the far left does not in any way paint aoc as a radical leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah I can’t imagine the dems loving over a populous left wing candidate

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine the DNC is already considering ways to alter/redistrict NY-14 to gently caress over AOC.

I know people use "the DNC" as a catchall for establishment democrats, but the DNC has absolutely nothing to do with state-level redistricting. Just say New York Dems! :argh:

Anyway, the district is going to be redrawn regardless (As it was in 2011 and 2001), but it's not gonna matter—AOC is a well-known and popular figure who's going to win the primary in any district she runs in, so trying to intentionally gently caress her over is pointless. In other states/situations there could be some danger from her district getting eliminated entirely, forcing her to go against another incumbent democrat, but the NY state dems aren't going to do that while there's a full 8 Republican-held seats they can gently caress over instead (particularly given she'd win regardless, she got 75% of the vote in her last primary).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Flikken posted:

Who do you think the DNC wants to gently caress over more? The progressive wing of their party or the opposition?

well considering they're very often times trying to work with the opposition

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, them getting rid of AOC would basically alienate a large portion of the voting populous they need to win.

We are talking about the Democratic Party.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

There is some tier of beer lower than this that can be had by the can at gas stations around here for a quarter apiece.

Yeah I’ve seen some truly random rear end no-name cheap beer sold only in 30 quantity at Woodman’s (Super Wal-Mart sized grocery/liquor store chain around this region). But Hamm’s has the advantage of extreme cheapness and not being terrible in the PBR beer tier.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

MA-Horus posted:

How is beer in America so cheap, a 12 pack of PBR a day is a 25 dollar a day habit in Ontario

I was in a liquor store in Arizona and I saw Unibroue beer -- from Quebec -- being sold for actually cheaper than it can be bought back in Canada.

I don't travel a lot so that kind of thing just blows me away

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah I’ve seen some truly random rear end no-name cheap beer sold only in 30 quantity at Woodman’s (Super Wal-Mart sized grocery/liquor store chain around this region). But Hamm’s has the advantage of extreme cheapness and not being terrible in the PBR beer tier.

I bought a sixpack of it some weeks ago. Not bad for a buck a pint imo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

US Berder Patrol posted:

while I'm fine with a champignon being classified as a "vegetable" in a culinary sense the way a peanut is a "nut", I'll disagree that anyone thinks yeast is a vegetable

but sure, all beer is plant based if you ignore the yeast

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but, I didn’t know some vegans avoid most beers because it’s filtered through fish bladders, “isinglass”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't think veganism is about only eating vegetables. Since they also eat fruits.

Veganism is about eating not-meat. Yeast is not-meat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

uh, ok

boop the snoot posted:

Yeah I can’t imagine the dems loving over a populous left wing candidate

I cannot tell if this is a joke or not, either way, lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

I don't think veganism is about only eating vegetables. Since they also eat fruits.

Americans are odd in how/when we choose to speak this way, but edible fruits are vegetables.

Hence “vegetarian” and vegetable oil from olives not being called fruit oil without confusing anyone.

But a person saying “I love cooking with vegetables. Especially the vegetable apples!” is a too-cute-by-half pedant.

Then you have weird poo poo like tax law saying tomatoes are veggies and not fruits when in fact they are vegetables and also fruits, but tax law has a pretty storied history of weird bespoke definitions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but, I didn’t know some vegans avoid most beers because it’s filtered through fish bladders, “isinglass”

The majority of beer these days doesn't use isinglass anymore in the production. Just cask-aged ales and a few particularly snooty microbrews, as I understand it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, I guess I just assumed all beer was vegan 🤷🏽‍♀️

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

US Berder Patrol posted:

One of my friends was fretting about an upcoming crash the other day. I told him I guess The Market really only has one crash left from here

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the next big crash will likely be engineered to double-kneecap the middle class. They learned something from 2008, alright - that crashes can be leveraged as a "nuclear option" in class warfare.

I don’t know poo poo about poo poo, but, I feel like a bit crash is coming. A lot of things seem to be going absurdly well, considering the pandemic—like there’s excess wealth circulating. Never mind the money printer being turned on for unemployment etc. Real estate has only gone up and up during the pandemic, which cannot be a good sign.

I heard someone describe it as the early 00s, just a lot of money going around, sort of calm before the storm

but, the gently caress do I know

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CainFortea posted:

Do vegans ewt rocks? :thunk:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeast is vegan, ya'll being weird

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Veganism is an amalgamation of a lot of people practicing it for entirely different reasons from one another, so there’s never going to be an agreement on whether things like yeast, mushrooms, non‐dairy yoghurt, or honey are acceptable.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 27, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wish we’d just do without all the labels tbh. Some eat fish, some avoid honey, some don’t, some do, who cares. Do you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU6NtwspLM

WRT Egypt Egypting, the MV Ever Given crew could get hosed over like this guy. He's been stranded off the coast of Egypt since May 2017 because the shipping company abandoned him and the Egyptian government basically tricked him into signing as the guardian of the ship, and are holding him and his passport hostage until the ship is sold.

Mohammad is free and home now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fddCfXvrw-0

A member of the transport federation took his place. Hopefully they have the leverage to get that guy out soon.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Do vegans ewt rocks? :thunk:

I'm sure there's a non-zero number of them who will swallow crystals for better gut health or something.

Also is salt a rock?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don’t know poo poo about poo poo, but, I feel like a bit crash is coming. A lot of things seem to be going absurdly well, considering the pandemic—like there’s excess wealth circulating. Never mind the money printer being turned on for unemployment etc. Real estate has only gone up and up during the pandemic, which cannot be a good sign.

I heard someone describe it as the early 00s, just a lot of money going around, sort of calm before the storm

The money printer was turned on for wall street. Unemoloyment money is a byproduct of keeping the train going for The Number.

I know you're grouping things together but let us never forget if not for the brave hedge funds and their corporate friends millions more would already be destitute

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CainFortea posted:

Eej posted:

Yeast is vegan, ya'll being weird

You know how in religions there are different denominations that for layman like us there are all the same but for the religious those differences are as dee[ as the grand canyons?

Vegans are like that.

Source: My vegan wife who has done a hella lot of research into veganism. She is technically not vegan because she sometimes eats honey.

Edit: There are certain types of Vegans who thing Mushrooms are not vegan. Sometimes its for different reasons too.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 27, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Unless you can accurately predict the timing, it doesn't really matter too much if "a crash is coming" as far as making investing decisions. Even if you saw the writing on the wall about the 2007 crash years in the early 00s, acting on it then would have caused you to miss out on the gains/dividends until the crash. And then unless you buy back in at the right time you're going to miss a lot of the recovery.

Diversified buy and hold with occasional rebalancing is usually the way to go for retail investing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If a vegan can’t eat mushrooms, or yeast, can they not eat bacteria too? Because uh holy poo poo do I have news for them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Blind Rasputin posted:

If a vegan can’t eat mushrooms, or yeast, can they not eat bacteria too? Because uh holy poo poo do I have news for them.

This isnt what i said, but sure go hog wild man.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Description: Beer

I find it cool that in the era of massive companies homogenizing the poo poo out of everything, there's still massive regional variance in garbage-tier beer. I feel like every state, and occasionally every city within some states, have their own local pisswater you can get for dirt cheap.

I knew a guy in St Louis who would start his day with what he called "poor man's Guinness" - a 50/50 ratio of coffee and Stag beer, which is a midwestern poo poo-tier cheap beer (but actually way better than Coors)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://youtu.be/N_Yaa_LMDcs

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CainFortea posted:

I'm sure there's a non-zero number of them who will swallow crystals for better gut health or something.

Also is salt a rock?

I was wondering if anyone would bring up the only rock that people eat :v:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

I was wondering if anyone would bring up the only rock that people eat :v:

People also eat limestone for heartburn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nature, famous for creating obligate carnivores and carnivorous plants.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In college I knew a fruitarian. Weird motherfucker, not particularly useful in class. When asked how he was still alive, the answer was "I have to take a lot of supplements."

Edit: He was one of these: "Some fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant: that is, plant foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 27, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

People also eat limestone for heartburn.

And Diatomaceous Earth. Which is fossilized algea, so it could be vegan but could also be rock. Which I would assume is vegan but apparently there are vegans who literally only eat vegatables so that's not vegaN

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Child’s play, the lot of it

I’m a breatharian and harvest my energy from the sun

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The comparison of vegans and religion makes too much sense.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's evidence that the early farmers of the Andes ate clay sauce to help deal with toxins in their potato breeds. Even after they breed better potatoes that didn't have the toxins, they kept the dirt sauce, and people still eat it today since it's tradition now.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/11/28/564866619/the-ancient-andean-tradition-of-eating-clay-may-have-helped-to-protect-health

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

y’all have some weird edgy hold ups about food and what others do with their dietary choices and I’m pretty sure half the poo poo in here y’all just made up

Like you get that it’s mostly people just doing their own thing, minding their biz, sans any title, and y’all assigning and making up labels for them—assuming their dietary choices

Is this the backlash cause you thought Biden was gonna restrict red meat? Post them briskets to Twitter to own the libs, quick!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 27, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all have some weird edgy hold ups about food and what others do with their dietary choices and I’m pretty sure half the poo poo in here y’all just made up

lol, yea, we're the ones with the hangups.

golden bubble posted:

There's evidence that the early farmers of the Andes ate clay sauce to help deal with toxins in their potato breeds. Even after they breed better potatoes that didn't have the toxins, they kept the dirt sauce, and people still eat it today since it's tradition now.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/11/28/564866619/the-ancient-andean-tradition-of-eating-clay-may-have-helped-to-protect-health

The stories about how people find this kind of stuff is interesting to me. I know very well that it was done over many years with large numbers of people and they lucked into the answer. But I just can't help but shake the image of someone eating a potato and getting sick, and someone else is like "hey, while bob is puking his guts out, bill you eat that potato and uh....this stick and see what happens" until eventually they hit the right answer.

Or like how icelanders figured out to burry that shark that made them sick when they ate it and it no longer made them sick after burying it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

golden bubble posted:

This was a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

One of my friends has been vegan for years and posted some meme about two vegans meeting and one saws off the hand that shook the other person's, because person number 2 was vegan for their health instead of for philosophy. poo poo is weird