Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

TeaJay posted:

Retrothon 2021 will be starting this saturday over at

http://twitch.tv/RetroGamingLiveTV

https://horaro.org/retrothon2021/schedule

There's a lot of great runners and games which you don't often normally see in marathons, so I'm looking forward to it. (currently they're showing a highlight reel of previous events.)

The RGLtv crowd is super good!

And, of course, doesn't hurt to be doing two runs here either. Always happy to show off an Armored Core speedrun, the real FromSoft series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Please no one tell me that his meme is also 20 years old, I can't handle it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pmcTRILOGY posted:

The RGLtv crowd is super good!

And, of course, doesn't hurt to be doing two runs here either. Always happy to show off an Armored Core speedrun, the real FromSoft series.

Hell yeah, Armored Core is great. I'm gonna have to try to make time to catch those runs.

TeaJay posted:

Retrothon 2021 will be starting this saturday over at

http://twitch.tv/RetroGamingLiveTV

https://horaro.org/retrothon2021/schedule

There's a lot of great runners and games which you don't often normally see in marathons, so I'm looking forward to it. (currently they're showing a highlight reel of previous events.)

There are a couple games in this schedule that are under ten years old, which is kinda weird, but they're at least themed off old games. Looks like a cool event.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would imagine it's because the crew _generally_ play retro games on their events and streams .. but every now and then throw a modern game in the mix.

The NES block on wednesday .. well, basically the WHOLE of wednesday will be great for sure. I don't think I've ever seen an Armored core speedrun so I'll tune on for that for sure.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Saw a tweet the other day that said "what you think Zelda was 20 years ago" and showed LTTP and "what Zelda was 20 years ago" and showed Wind Waker and I immediately crumbled into dust.

That meme is thankfully a complete lie, as Wind Waker didn't come out until 2003 (or December 2002 in Japan).

At 21 years old, Majora's Mask is closer to 20 years old than Wind Waker's 18 years.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

KennyMan666 posted:

Holy poo poo, a Star Control II run at a perfect watching time for me. I will be so there.

Hoping this one will be a marathon safe route and not a save scummy one, the routes I've seen for it in the past are super super risky and RNG on danger planet landings.

Top Gear 3000 is a must watch for me, that game is absolutely stupid towards the end when you're hitting 500+mph and have about 3 frames to react to anything.

A Sim City run is :psyduck:

It's kind of wild if you look at 20 year old games, vs 30 year old games. The look of those is extremely different compared to 20 years old to today. Shadow of the Colossus is 16 years old

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it'll be the same pattern but stronger in 30 years. there's just only so far you can take photorealism

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The leaps made in graphics in the 1990s were definitely something. 3D went from untextured extremely low-poly, or other psuedo-3D trickery, to full-blown textured with relatively decent poly counts. 2D remained dominant in consoles up until 1995~1996.

2D itself made similar strides in the prior decade. Comparing console or arcade 2D in 1980 to what was hitting arcades and PCs by 1990 is similarly remarkable.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Impermanent posted:

it'll be the same pattern but stronger in 30 years. there's just only so far you can take photorealism
Hell, as someone with subpar vision, I'm already firmly at the point where "my lovely eyeballs" are a bigger impediment to future graphics improvements than anything technology-related.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Impermanent posted:

Didn't stop painters. Cubist game when?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is 16 years old

To be fair, Shadow of the Colossus was a total outlier. That game looked better than poo poo coming out like 5 years later. The horse controls and animation still hold up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Didn't stop painters. Cubist game when?

There are already indie devs playing around with non-euclidean rendering.

But I think AAA stuff is going to focus on realism for a long time to come, because that's an area where you can just throw more artists at it to get better results than anything that can't afford that many artists.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

paperwind posted:

The leaps made in graphics in the 1990s were definitely something. 3D went from untextured extremely low-poly, or other psuedo-3D trickery, to full-blown textured with relatively decent poly counts.

I made a point in another thread about FPS games and how id software went from Wolf-3D to Quake in just four years, 1992-96.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bike tory posted:

To be fair, Shadow of the Colossus was a total outlier. That game looked better than poo poo coming out like 5 years later. The horse controls and animation still hold up.

Honestly i think it still looks good, the sense of scale of the titans is still pretty breathtaking even if like, actual graphics are lacking. Idk thats probs just nostalgia talking

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Shadow of the Colossus is brilliant because its graphical limitations are part of its storytelling. The soft textures suggest history worn away and incomprehensible symbols and lore; the draw distance and fog and low resolution obscures information (like the sad dignity of the Colossi) until you're very close up.

In this way, the Bluepoint remake suffers.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

If you haven't been watching the Retro Marathon, it's been a series of trainwrecks in the runs, but still entertaining. Star Control did some classic Star Control things and has much more combat than the speedrun is supposed to have. FF6 Worlds Collide has been amazing RNG (no one tested the seed)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The FF6 randomizer run going on right now is really amazing, even if you (I) are not familiar with Worlds collide.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just to give an idea how comical a trainwreck it is. He just fought Whelk. It took 16 minutes

This run is absolutely must watch.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1001545401?t=84833s

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2021

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Oh my god the FF6 run is incredible, yes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That was such a legendary run. Definitely VOD that one when you can. Probably better to watch from Twitch so you can get the chat reactions as well.

what started out as a garbage seed with Gau and Umaro... where Gau couldn't even fight. Had some legendary carrying by Umaro throughout the whole run and ended poetically with Kefka's final ultimate attack .. hitting Umaro for 1 damage and him doing the final hit on final boss. Beautiful. e: below clipped also

https://clips.twitch.tv/DiligentBlatantBadgerBIRB

https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryHelplessHamsterFreakinStinkin-5BGeCLGCNXM_3IXf

One of the best parts. (cropped it slightly too late but oh well)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 27, 2021

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm surprised they didn't vet the seed before having it on stream. Randomizers can be lengthy depending on the settings and FF6 Worlds Collide can be unexpectedly brutal.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slickdrac posted:

Star Control did some classic Star Control things and has much more combat than the speedrun is supposed to have.
I was amazed that he didn't just reload the safety save after losing the Skiffs, and even more amazed when he then proceeded to actually beat the game without a single game over or loading any safety saves.

Loved how he kept explaining the lore while doing the run too.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Slickdrac posted:

Just to give an idea how comical a trainwreck it is. He just fought Whelk. It took 16 minutes

This run is absolutely must watch.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1001545401?t=84833s

Deffo watch this run. FF6 has always been one of my faves and played the hell out of it, but never seen a randomizer of it before. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch other runs after this, lol.

For the first time ever though, I'm really intrigued about giving a randomizer a casual whirl.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
that was a great watch. truly a yeti like no other. what a carry

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

paperwind posted:

Deffo watch this run. FF6 has always been one of my faves and played the hell out of it, but never seen a randomizer of it before. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch other runs after this, lol.

For the first time ever though, I'm really intrigued about giving a randomizer a casual whirl.

I highly suggest downloading EmoTracker to help guide you through the seed. Make sure you click characters and bosses off as you go through the seed as you will see new checks available as you click each character you get.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Some org's trying to become the middleman for speedrunning
https://twitter.com/Helix13_/status/1386707762290233345
"Speedrunning is hard! Let us coach you through it (casually ignoring that basically every community is more than willing to have another active member participate in their niche game and provide their resources for free)"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Some org's trying to become the middleman for speedrunning
https://twitter.com/Helix13_/status/1386707762290233345
"Speedrunning is hard! Let us coach you through it (casually ignoring that basically every community is more than willing to have another active member participate in their niche game and provide their resources for free)"

Yeah this just seems like an attempt to centralize and then monetize speedrunning in some fashion.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah this just seems like an attempt to centralize and then monetize speedrunning in some fashion.

It also ignores the fact that, almost universally, the hardest part for people is just doing runs. It's like when writers spend time looking for ways to make writing easier/better when the best thing they can do is just sit down and write instead. Discipline is hard, sure, but I don't know that the solution is paying GSA to stop googling poo poo and put in the work.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

purchase a gsa membership today for 9.99 a month to become a super-runner with access to our hottest tips and tricks

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

purchase a gsa membership today for 9.99 a month to become a super-runner with access to our hottest tips and tricks

If I start posting speedruns without joining are they gonna come and shake me down?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
If you don't pay up a brick gets clipped through your front window.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

If you don't pay up a brick gets clipped through your front window.

Sweet, free brick.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

I mean, if you've ever watched basically any marathon, the speedrunner will talk about how welcoming their community is, how they'd love for people to pick up this game, how you can join the Discord to get some guidance on your runs, how there's a solid guide available on speedrun.com, etc, etc, etc.

Hell, GDQ spends every single Thursday evening on a show specifically dedicated to showing how it's possible to play a game casually once, then make your second game a speedrun without even doing any outside research whatsoever. Plus their whole "Runners Wanted" thing they do on occasion spotlighting communities who really want newbies to join up.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How many cents per minute is the hotline

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing it's gonna be geared for the people that want to make money out of speedrunning, so maybe their selling point will be giving you an insider track to becoming the next Mitchflowerpower or SmallAnt1 or something like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The selling point will be you pay them money -> you get advertising for your twitch stream.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I think people could ask for money to coach new players, I mean tons of people are paying them to speedrun already I'm sure some would-be students are up for adding another 10 bux on top of their tier 1 sub to have someone walk them through some speedrun tricks live one-on-one with them. I think it'd be better to recommend that on either side, new players ask around and if you aren't getting as much help as you feel you want ask if anyone would help extra for some cash, veteran runners let people know you're happy to coach for some cash, both parties would probably come out having a better deal than if they went through some kind of institution. Some kind of central hub where you could speedrun speedrunning is gonna try to convince people to buy something they might not need. It's like speedrun dot com, that website isn't usually the only place to go for speedrun information, for a lot of games the leaderboards aren't even consolidated there. But if new players are motivated and want to play their game enough they'll get in touch with other runners, or create a run themselves and just be the first person and wait until someone beats it, that's what I do.

Maybe the academy with its advertising will pull in people who donate to streamers a lot and think this is some kind of fast-track to the top, when in fact they'd be better served making their own decisions on what to speedrun and how to go about it, like are there people out there who wake up one day and think, "I wanna add speedrunning to my leisure activities, I wonder if there's a class I can take" and they google speedrun university or something? Seems plausible, but way more people will go straight to watching a game they might wanna run first and try to copy that. I totally believe in teachers too so I could see runners that pay to learn having a huge advantage, but it's just too flimsy right now, no guarantee the teachers will be good enough to be worth the money to give paid lessons an advantage over free ones or self-teaching (including watching runs, looking up tutorials/guides, etc.), no way to ensure the discipline from the students like Sab Sabbnington said so they could be wasting money when a player who spends their money just subscribing to channels learns faster because they're more disciplined.

But I guess it's always like that with any field, it's just the way education progresses you will inevitably see far more highly skilled people who have received formal training compared to those that haven't in a general sense and I don't see the speedrun academy being the start of that. It could be something that more sponsored speedrun competition events get into, like coaching for a 10,000 dollar prize SM64 120 star tournament event or things like that and we might notice a trend of runners that took pre-tournament lessons getting farther than even some of the top "self-taught" runners. Could happen if there were paid teachers that were really good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Interested in the history of Awful Games Done Quick? Then watch this video featuring Mike Uyama, PJ, Lizstar, and Brossentia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mYMHwsS7k

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That Phantom 2040 run was the best 30 minutes of title screen I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We just had a Phantom 2040 run in Retrothon where the runners' game screen froze after 10 minutes or so and he didn't have anyone to notify him or read the chat, so he went on to do the whole run while the audience was looking at the title screen of the game. The commentary was very good, though, could get a good understanding what was going on even without visuals. Hoping he can do it again at some point, since it seemed like it was going very well.

e: Looks like he's running it again immediately, nice

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 1, 2021