Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

np19 posted:

Working for a small company and they host everything in GSuite. As this my first interaction with all of these cloud services, it’s kind of nice how you can integrate them but everything has weird bottlenecks that render any benefit null.

I've never had to work with them thankfully so I'm blissfully ignorant. What sort of bottlenecks are you facing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

We still end up having them in person. Our manager is even pushing for anyone remote or in the office to be on video for the duration of calls, while everyone is bullshitting about non-work-related things, so he can make sure... none of us are actually doing our jobs instead of lovely boomer jokes for 30 minutes.

Yikes, that's no fun. We have hour long videos from our larger dept's management each Friday that are a livestream with no attendance or interactivity. At the start of these more than a year ago I made sure to be watching from the start to be up to date on our WFH program. Now I watch the first minute to confirm there's nothing important and turn it off. It's "mandatory" but I can't put up with a VP mumbling through a series of slides on Agile that have nothing to do with my work, or an awkward celebration of the head of our dept retiring when I've never met the man. I wish they had enough sense to cancel these meetings if they have no purpose that week, rather than cargo culting the notion that if Steve Jobs could do an engaging presentation then every executive is naturally talented at monologuing.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
I work in the film business but I've done quite a lot of coorporate videos, similar to the Maersk one posted earlier, and I have always been curious what the actual market for those things is since they sky is the limit for these. It seems insane how much corporations are willing to spend on projects that, as far as I know, never get seen outside of the company.

To give you some idea, I am freelance and very, very expensive. On most productions I do, even the biggest ones, I usually have to haggle to get my dayrate. I'm talking days of negotiating, it's super tedious and annoying but it comes with the territory. The only exception to this is almost always coorporate videos. They never even bat an eye. Just "okay" and done. It's amazing, especially because I'm always so ready for the normal argument to the point where it leaves me completely confused and silent while I struggle to reply without going straight into an argument out of sheer habit.

The downside is that there's usually a lot of "creative directors", representing the company, who all want to have a say in how it all looks. Always people in very expensive looking suits without a single creative bone in their body. I get the feeling they just pipe up to justify their jobs because most of their suggestions, if not wildly impractical (and sometimes downright dangerous), are pretty ridiculous. In most cases I am absolutely certain they know that too. I've had to stand around waiting for hours while six guys in suits argue among themselves over wanting something completely unrelated to what we're doing only to end up doing what we originally planned while they all go "Yes! That's exactly what we had in mind!". It's super weird.

I'm not knocking them but this whole world you guys have to deal with is so different to what I'm used to and reading these stories is kinda mind blowing. I'm sure to most of you this behavior is what you deal with all the time so you're used to it, but it always throws me for a loop. Just a whole bunch of Very Important People saying Very Important Things about Very Important Issues but for the life of me I can't figure out what any of them actually do. They all have super elaborate titles too but those just confuse the issue even more.

I love doing those shoots because they're always super relaxed, well paid, and there's a surprising level of grattitude from clients when they see your work. It's like being on a working vacation on a different planet with completely new customs and traditions.

I could never do what you do and I really enjoy reading theses stories, even if I don't understand a lot of it (especially the abbreviations!)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Steadiman posted:

The downside is that there's usually a lot of "creative directors", representing the company, who all want to have a say in how it all looks. Always people in very expensive looking suits without a single creative bone in their body. I get the feeling they just pipe up to justify their jobs because most of their suggestions, if not wildly impractical (and sometimes downright dangerous), are pretty ridiculous. In most cases I am absolutely certain they know that too. I've had to stand around waiting for hours while six guys in suits argue among themselves over wanting something completely unrelated to what we're doing only to end up doing what we originally planned while they all go "Yes! That's exactly what we had in mind!". It's super weird.

These loving lampreys attach themselves to any company that attains a certain size and slowly suck the life from it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I had to make something in the 'new' Google Sites the other day. It was like trying to use a website making kit for 5 year olds, except less customisable.

e:
seems about right for my experiences working with people at BNP Paribas lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's illustrative of the web apps' design that Docs uses screen real estate for all three cut/copy/paste buttons, but they all redirect to a pop-up "this isn't supported, use keyboard shortcuts". Thanks, Google, I know that. Odds are there's a reason I'm trying to minimize keyboard usage (hand and wrist pain, mostly) and I'd like these buttons to actually work.

But no. That would make things easy, so we can't have it. Google in a nutshell.

It's obnoxious but there's browser security reasons for this. It should tell you to install some extension instead though.

Steadiman posted:

I work in the film business but I've done quite a lot of coorporate videos, similar to the Maersk one posted earlier, and I have always been curious what the actual market for those things is since they sky is the limit for these. It seems insane how much corporations are willing to spend on projects that, as far as I know, never get seen outside of the company.

To give you some idea, I am freelance and very, very expensive. On most productions I do, even the biggest ones, I usually have to haggle to get my dayrate. I'm talking days of negotiating, it's super tedious and annoying but it comes with the territory. The only exception to this is almost always coorporate videos. They never even bat an eye. Just "okay" and done. It's amazing, especially because I'm always so ready for the normal argument to the point where it leaves me completely confused and silent while I struggle to reply without going straight into an argument out of sheer habit.

I'm not knocking them but this whole world you guys have to deal with is so different to what I'm used to and reading these stories is kinda mind blowing. I'm sure to most of you this behavior is what you deal with all the time so you're used to it, but it always throws me for a loop. Just a whole bunch of Very Important People saying Very Important Things about Very Important Issues but for the life of me I can't figure out what any of them actually do. They all have super elaborate titles too but those just confuse the issue even more.

I love doing those shoots because they're always super relaxed, well paid, and there's a surprising level of grattitude from clients when they see your work. It's like being on a working vacation on a different planet with completely new customs and traditions.

I could never do what you do and I really enjoy reading theses stories, even if I don't understand a lot of it (especially the abbreviations!)

If you haven't read Bullshit Jobs yet, I feel that you would greatly appreciate it. This is a prime example of the roles the author describes where

McGavin posted:

These loving lampreys attach themselves to any company that attains a certain size and slowly suck the life from it.

because someone had successfully made the pitch to create the office of whatever the gently caress to increase the size of their fiefdom.

np19
Dec 25, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

I've never had to work with them thankfully so I'm blissfully ignorant. What sort of bottlenecks are you facing?

Data limits. Company is growing at a fast rate and so where they used to be able to store all of their data in a workbook it now has to be broken into several.

In implementing some of the stuff that they have been asking for, I’ve been using Googles Apps Script environment to do API integration but I get synchronization errors between the code being pulled down and my parsing it. I don’t know much this is related to my code being inefficient.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

np19 posted:

Data limits. Company is growing at a fast rate and so where they used to be able to store all of their data in a workbook it now has to be broken into several.

In implementing some of the stuff that they have been asking for, I’ve been using Googles Apps Script environment to do API integration but I get synchronization errors between the code being pulled down and my parsing it. I don’t know much this is related to my code being inefficient.

This is a strong sign that spreadsheets may not be sufficient for your needs here anymore, and good on you for deciding to use Apps Script to help mitigate this! Sadly, you now get to live in a world where

A) server calls may fail 0.1% of the time and now you need to add error handing rather than trusting things to Always Work
B) said sync tokens may time out (which basically means you need to start over, but at the point this is a concern you should strongly consider using something more robust than Sheets)
C) you get to learn some level of proper programming (and good on you for realizing your errors may be because your calculations are inefficient!)

It's also possible that you may well be beyond the point of reasonably using sheets and simple scripts at all, in which case you should look at using database mechanisms, even if only for temporary calculations.

Not necessarily a fun place to be, but if your company has any programmers you may wish to bribe one with lunch to peek at your problem and get their advice. It's totally possible that this is all down to you accidentally using some sort of n3 solution without realizing how poorly that scales, or it may be that you really have outgrown spreadsheets by themselves for this.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Steadiman posted:

These same kind of people turn into the bane of any in-house creative service by being the pushiest assholes. Not only do they need to justify their jobs, but now they're above you and make more than you, so all of their opinions are gold. By the end you become nothing but an elaborate Adobe clicking machine. I've been told to steal videos from NFL teams and "We'll just apologize for it later". One time I was going to put together a rough video, only to have a top level dude tell me "We're not making a video, we're making cinema" and he would be sending me a shot list with specific time stamps, and I was to assemble the video exactly like that.

gently caress, in-house is a nightmare

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Sanguinary Novel posted:

These same kind of people turn into the bane of any in-house creative service by being the pushiest assholes. Not only do they need to justify their jobs, but now they're above you and make more than you, so all of their opinions are gold. By the end you become nothing but an elaborate Adobe clicking machine. I've been told to steal videos from NFL teams and "We'll just apologize for it later". One time I was going to put together a rough video, only to have a top level dude tell me "We're not making a video, we're making cinema" and he would be sending me a shot list with specific time stamps, and I was to assemble the video exactly like that.

This week one of the owners of the company I work at sent me an email forward of another company doing an online webinar next week and wanted me to replace the branding on it with ours and to see if we could get our name attached to it somehow.

He also included all the other management staff on it so I had to ask him to clarify in a reply-all that if he meant to actually steal their work

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Steadiman posted:

Just a whole bunch of Very Important People saying Very Important Things about Very Important Issues but for the life of me I can't figure out what any of them actually do. They all have super elaborate titles too but those just confuse the issue even more.

If you ask someone what they do for a living and they give you their super elaborate title then you know that they don't do anything. There's also a good chance that most of their organization doesn't know what they do or don't do. This is by design.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If things are working according to the divine plan, they spend most of their time distracting each other. This means they don't gently caress about with the people below them who actually understand how the department they have been aggressively trepanned into works.

They generally don't produce anything of note apart from frustration migraines and the cocaine industry.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I had a bizarre e-mail exchange with my boss where I'm not sure if they're intentionally loving with me, completely incapable of admitting fault, or only semi-literate.

I shared a letter with my boss to get their approval before sending it off. I included a comment asking my boss if we should request X units or Y units in the letter, they said ask for Y. Ok great, I make the change and send the letter out only to then get an e-mail a few days later.

Boss: I was looking at the letter again, I know we discussed asking for Y, but I don't see the actual request for Y in the letter. Please add that so they know to give us Y.
Me: The request is at the end of the first paragraph, "Quote from the letter asking for Y".
Boss: Per the template, the request for Y should be in the first paragraph for the benefit of people who don't read to the end.
Me: The request was in the first paragraph, it's the third sentence. In any case the letter has already been sent out, but I'll keep an eye out for that in the future.
Boss: I added it myself, but please follow the template.

This is a shared document. I look at the version history and see they made a couple of superfluous word changes, but the request for Y has been in there before the start of this exchange. This person is a C suite executive and can't just say "oops I missed that".

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ClothHat posted:

I had a bizarre e-mail exchange with my boss where I'm not sure if they're intentionally loving with me, completely incapable of admitting fault, or only semi-literate.

I shared a letter with my boss to get their approval before sending it off. I included a comment asking my boss if we should request X units or Y units in the letter, they said ask for Y. Ok great, I make the change and send the letter out only to then get an e-mail a few days later.

Boss: I was looking at the letter again, I know we discussed asking for Y, but I don't see the actual request for Y in the letter. Please add that so they know to give us Y.
Me: The request is at the end of the first paragraph, "Quote from the letter asking for Y".
Boss: Per the template, the request for Y should be in the first paragraph for the benefit of people who don't read to the end.
Me: The request was in the first paragraph, it's the third sentence. In any case the letter has already been sent out, but I'll keep an eye out for that in the future.

This is a shared document. I look at the version history and see they made a couple of superfluous word changes, but the request for Y has been in there before the start of this exchange. This person is a C suite executive and can't just say "oops I missed that".

I was reading your post, but I don't see the transcription of the conversation you had with your boss. Please include it in the future, as per the template.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

ClothHat posted:

"You know, people like me."

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

ClothHat posted:

You don't get promoted by admitting to mistakes, duh

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I was also tasked a week ago with preparing a training presentation for our all staff meeting today. I met with my boss on Friday to discuss some of the content and how much time I would need to present everything. I stupidly spent a bunch of time putting together handouts and practicing the presentation, only to go to the meeting today and realize it's not on the agenda. This one is on me though because this is not the first I've fallen for this exact scheme. I have an interview with another agency today in a few hours, and if I don't get that job I think I have no choice but to become the Joker.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My boss is asking for a bunch of documentation and I look like a star for just taking what my predecessors did and slightly updating it. Same with writing policy and wholesale taking it from my last job. Man who even writes poo poo these days when you can plagiarize so easily? My entire career is based on not having a single original bone in my body.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

My boss is asking for a bunch of documentation and I look like a star for just taking what my predecessors did and slightly updating it. Same with writing policy and wholesale taking it from my last job. Man who even writes poo poo these days when you can plagiarize so easily? My entire career is based on not having a single original bone in my body.

i've kept every document, spreadsheet, and presentation i've produced for internal or external delivery since 2009 and i never have to write anything from scratch either. it owns

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ClothHat posted:

I was also tasked a week ago with preparing a training presentation for our all staff meeting today. I met with my boss on Friday to discuss some of the content and how much time I would need to present everything. I stupidly spent a bunch of time putting together handouts and practicing the presentation, only to go to the meeting today and realize it's not on the agenda. This one is on me though because this is not the first I've fallen for this exact scheme. I have an interview with another agency today in a few hours, and if I don't get that job I think I have no choice but to become the Joker.

Sounds like you're already playing the part of the clown.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
As someone who enjoys reworking things in hopes of creating a better process, you're much smarter people. I've been yelled at so many times for reinventing the wheel, and "why don't I just update the last proposal". And then when we lose the job, it's "Why didn't you make something new or custom to the job?!" Trying to figure out if the bargaining and weaseling from being a freelancer is better or worse than the bullying and invalidation from in-house.

Uh, thanks for everyone's understanding while I apparently figure out that all of this past behavior by lovely people was kinda hosed up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ClothHat posted:

Come on man you know it's all three.

I sent an email to one of our very experienced people who had my job for years and blah blah blah.

Outrail: 'I'm costing out the sign installation. Does a $350 budget sound about right based on previous signage (not including design and installation)?

Response: 'I have decades of experience with signs, and have high standards for signage. Your budget is WAY TOO LOW. The signs will cost minimum $1000 each. You will need to add to your costs: Graphic Design, Original Art Work OR Stock Photos purchased. Also budgeting appropriately for the time to write an excellent, thematic, succinct interpretive sign - 14 hours at least.

Basically didn't read anything. I also got a quote back from the printer: About $400 per item so even their estimates were useless. But as far as they're concerned I'm a moron who can;' do a cost estimate.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lolllllll 14 hours to write a sign

sounds like the "branding experts" that get 100k to tell you what fonts to use in your logo and how your price tags should look

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my loving boss loves to schedule 'offline meetings' where he can make a bunch of requests without having any responsibility for the outcomes because he absolutely will not put anything in writing.

also a few years ago he changed his own job title away from projects manager because he didn't want to deal with the responsibilities that his old title had, and spent months firing off emails to the tune of 'well as you can tell by my title none of that is down to me'. Like contractors would turn up on site asking for him by name and he would hide in his office and refuse to come out lmao

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

kecske posted:

my loving boss loves to schedule 'offline meetings' where he can make a bunch of requests without having any responsibility for the outcomes because he absolutely will not put anything in writing.

This is why I've started trying to get anything important in writing or at least on record somehow. Status updates of just where we're at? Sure, let's talk. Changes of plans, whatever? Nope, email it (or Slack, or whatever). Not dealing with "he said, she said"; I have enough of that going on outside work as is.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

nexus6 posted:

lol, we just got an all-staff email with a breakdown of how many hours each person has logged in April asking "Are these numbers correct?" in a pretty transparent attempt to name-and-shame people. About 1/5 to 1/4 (including myself) have 0 hours logged. Time to send around the wiki page for Goodhart's law again!

At job-2, there was a system by which the engineering staff would get a small tiered bonus each month based on the number of hours billed and the number of engineers on staff.

At first, this was “fine” - it wasn’t life-changing money, but it was nice to know you’d at least be able to go out to a nice dinner with your partner or something at the end of a crazy month. However, some employees felt it was too opaque - the owners could just decide they didn’t want to pay bonuses in a month, and it would be too difficult to coordinate proof they should have.

So to address this concern, the owners started sending an email itemizing the billable hours from each staff member, and what was some extra money at the end of the month turned into a source of genuine misery, because it made people realize that some engineers weren’t pulling their weight at all, some had feast/famine months, others consistently carried the bonus structure almost entirely (and could therefore nuke a bonus just by taking PTO), and others still were being included in the ratio long after they had become senior/managery enough that they barely directly billed anything anymore and were too busy herding cats.

To address this, this eventually devolved into some insane bell curve system based on seniority and working days for how much everyone needed to contribute for each bonus “tier” rather than just ditching it and paying people a trivial consistent amount of money more a month or individualizing the bonus structure.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

kecske posted:

also a few years ago he changed his own job title away from projects manager because he didn't want to deal with the responsibilities that his old title had, and spent months firing off emails to the tune of 'well as you can tell by my title none of that is down to me'. Like contractors would turn up on site asking for him by name and he would hide in his office and refuse to come out lmao

At a previous job I had a boss who I didn’t trust, so every little thing that was asked of me I followed up with an email saying “just confirming you asked me to do X today. What’s the deadline on that?”

About 80% of the time they just never replied so I didn’t do it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

At a previous job I had a boss who I didn’t trust, so every little thing that was asked of me I followed up with an email saying “just confirming you asked me to do X today. What’s the deadline on that?”

About 80% of the time they just never replied so I didn’t do it.

This is The Way.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Well today I had the fun experience of explaining to accounting bosses wife why the job that my boss hosed up hadn't been invoiced yet. It's because my boss didn't want to admit his gently caress up and directly told me not to invoice the client until he could "look at the numbers." Then he keeps asking circular questions because he can't make a decision. So I laid out what I knew, said I wouldn't send a fraudulent invoice to the client, and said to direct her questions about why the job was done incorrectly to boss. And I also BCCed myself on all these emails as a nice keepsake and cover my rear end. In other news my resume is looking better. Just need to polish it up some more.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Atticus_1354 posted:

And I also BCCed myself on all these emails as a nice keepsake and cover my rear end.

Does your email system not retain sent items?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Does your email system not retain sent items?

It does. And now my personal email has a nice copy for my records also. Just in case I ever want to reread the email where I say "I won't do this because it is fraud."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Atticus_1354 posted:

It does. And now my personal email has a nice copy for my records also. Just in case I ever want to reread the email where I say "I won't do this because it is fraud."

ohhhh gotcha that makes sense yeah

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Dude at work writes email as E:MAIL and I don't know why it makes my eye twitch but it does.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

lol, we just got an all-staff email with a breakdown of how many hours each person has logged in April asking "Are these numbers correct?" in a pretty transparent attempt to name-and-shame people. About 1/5 to 1/4 (including myself) have 0 hours logged. Time to send around the wiki page for Goodhart's law again!
Hours of what logged?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

security camera footage

Excellent!

Gin_Rummy posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that these people are of a certain generation... that's definitely the case at my work.

This is every generation at my job. I’ve had a 4 day weekend and I am not ready to go back tomorrow. And I still haven’t put together my massive email to hr, found out how to file a report with the ethics board, sent an email showing why it was clear that the team lead that the manager always defers obviously did not read the email because she would prefer to complain about me to said than do her loving job.

Last time that happened, both the manager And my sup tried to coach me and I just linked them to the work instructions I was following to the letter.

Oh. AND I’m about to get a bunch of coaching for not following the “escalation process” which is there to catch errors before going to a different group to fix THEIR errors.

My requests are unobtrusive, unless it’s the team leads that really hate doing their jobs, and I really don’t give a poo poo who made the original error. Just loving have somebody with the clearance to fix it do so because until it is fixed, the provider is unable to provide medical services for the patient due to being hosed over by us multiple times in the past for poo poo that wasn’t fixed.

Quite often, I would really like to respond to all of this shittiness with,” I’m sorry you’re stupid.”
Then I feel guilty for being raised in a household that wanted their children to be smart.

Bored fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 28, 2021

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Breetai posted:

Dude at work writes email as E:MAIL and I don't know why it makes my eye twitch but it does.

advanced stage boomer brain

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Being raised with a work ethic and sense of personal responsibility is a terrible thing in the modern world.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goatface posted:

Being raised with a work ethic and sense of personal responsibility is a terrible thing in the modern world.
Deprogram yourself immediately

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

ArbitraryC posted:

Hours of what logged?

We have an online system that separates out projects as well as adding arbitrary things like 'team meetings', 'admin' and 'annual leave' that working hours can be logged against. It's supposedly a way for management to see which projects are commanding enough billable hours but it seems pretty clear it's being used as a way to see who's busy and who isn't.

I did the math on the numbers:
  • 42% of the company logged 100% hours or above
  • 58% of the company logged less than 100%
  • 22% of the company logged 0 hours

Personally, I have catchups with my manager 3 times a week so if any particular project gets out-of-hand he already knows. I ain't wasting my time filling out a timesheet (which is gonna be partly made-up anyway as it's done at the end of the day rather than using actual timers on jobs) until I get bitched about it. Then I'll make up some numbers to make people happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

McGavin posted:

I can't imagine having to deal with those people every day because I wanna punch them after just a few hours of working with them.

Volmarias posted:

If you haven't read Bullshit Jobs yet, I feel that you would greatly appreciate it. This is a prime example of the roles the author describes where
It's going on the reading list! I feel it'll make me super annoyed!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

That seriously happens? Because that sounds insane! I mean especially stealing footage from the NFL is not really something you "apologize later" for, they are insanely litigious over their footage. Their film department is one of the best in the business and they spend ridiculous amounts of money on making that stuff so i get why they're protective over it. They also have a very good legal department. I'd rather commit fraud than tangle with the NFL to be honest. I can see how in-house would be hell.

Atticus_1354 posted:

If you ask someone what they do for a living and they give you their super elaborate title then you know that they don't do anything. There's also a good chance that most of their organization doesn't know what they do or don't do. This is by design.
I kind of suspected this but then I caught myself thinking "nah, it can't possibly be this stupid". I stand corrected and I learned something today. Just infinite respect to the people in this thread who have to deal with this, the whole coorporate thing just sounds insane to me. Amazed that somehow it seems to work instead of collapse, but I feel that's more in spite of these people than because of these people.