Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:siren: What is Star Citizen, Honestly? :siren:

Barely needed doing this. As GORF says, the original hasn't even pulled 100k views, and comments most places pointed out it didn't represent the game. Still, any excuse XD

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

Barely needed doing this. As GORF says, the original hasn't even pulled 100k views, and comments most places pointed out it didn't represent the game. Still, any excuse XD
:golfclap:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's so funny how SC fans keep referring to Cyberpunk as defence for SC's development time. As if saying "Cyberpunk took 8 years to make" makes SC look any better. It's just an example of another incompetent company releasing another broken game.

There were these cyberpunk comments in the "What is star citizen" video again.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

A most excellent trailer :golfclap:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

lobsterminator posted:

It's so funny how SC fans keep referring to Cyberpunk as defence for SC's development time. As if saying "Cyberpunk took 8 years to make" makes SC look any better. It's just an example of another incompetent company releasing another broken game.

its extra funny because cyberpunk 2077 will probably be a good game one day and they'll just change their example to whatever the latest hot mess is. The same thing happened to No Man's Sky. For awhile it was held up as the reason CIG should not push out the game.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

:kiss:

The puzzled expresion at the end... priceless.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 27, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sankis posted:

its extra funny because cyberpunk 2077 will probably be a good game one day and they'll just change their example to whatever the latest hot mess is. The same thing happened to No Man's Sky. For awhile it was held up as the reason CIG should not push out the game.

Let's not get too crazy. Maybe it will be an "acceptably decent" game in a few years.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Let's not get too crazy. Maybe it will be an "acceptably decent" game in a few years.

Yes, Cyberpunk's issues, like Star Citizen's, go to the very core of the game. Even if you removed all the bugs, all you'd be left with is a mediocre Ubisoft sandbox game.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Time_pants posted:

PS- has anyone said Squatron Fartypoo?

you know what, i don't think they have.

:golfclap:

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Pixelate posted:

And yet there's supposedly an active fanbase of millions who are pledging money every hour, 24/7!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dynastocles posted:

And yet there's supposedly an active fanbase of millions who are pledging money every hour, 24/7!

well they already know what Star Citizen is, duh!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lobsterminator posted:

It should tell people that are trying to make a GTA type game when you're not Rockstar is a bad idea.

When you're not even CDPR and your team is full sail grads and artists... you get Star Citizen.

Cyberpunk may one day be good, but I can't say the same for SC.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dynastocles posted:

You do not understand citizen development!

reddit posted:

hilarious! 😁 still a great game in the making 😎

reddit posted:

This poo poo was hilarious. I'm still going to buy the Hercules as soon as it's available. I hate it missed it last time.

reddit posted:

Star Citizen is still better than Elite Dangerous and at least both of them exist unlike Line of Defense.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

You do not understand citizen development!

Imagine that your favorite game, the game to end all games, has any reason to be compared to something like Line of Defense

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sankis posted:

It's extra extra funny because we are only 3 and a half years away from the only example they can use is Duke Nukem Forever :v:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

reddit posted:

This poo poo was hilarious. I'm still going to buy the Hercules as soon as it's available. I hate it missed it last time.

For a second I thought of the Hercules graphics card and it was even funnier. It wouldn't be the first hardware partnership to fall through due to development time making it obsolete...

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

i love the big digs at cyber punk, im not a dude to take a day off work for a game release but If SQ42 has a big release day across consoles, pc, and the world. I will take the day off work to both try play it and watch the release.

I expect to crash to desktop and go to the forums full of people who bought the hype and are left with a CR game. Joe blobbers will pop into the comments to tell everyone it's still early days and get eviscerated. Unlike the 90's when our hack dropped his name into the credits of his last ''game'', he will live in 2025 where consumers want blood for bad releases. 15 years and 600 million dollars, this better be single malt smooth or CIG is going to get hung drawn and quartered.

if this doesn't happen I still want to be around to see a 500 million dollar tumbleweed roll past to the sound of crickets.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm beginning to think SQ42 may never formally release, they'll just put it out as a test alpha thus shielding it from any real game review criticism.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Popete posted:

I'm beginning to think SQ42 may never formally release, they'll just put it out as a test alpha thus shielding it from any real game review criticism.

hosed up if true

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

DigitalPenny posted:

Joe blobbers

For the last loving time, with feeling:

IT'S BLOBERS!!!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jonny Shiloh posted:

IT'S BLOBERS!!!
J.Blo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

It's extra extra funny because we are only 3 and a half years away from the only example they can use is Duke Nukem Forever :v:

I'll use my super power of being able to predict what the backers will say to combat your fud.

"The people behind Duke Nuke didn't have to create *multiple* companies from zero, unlike CIG, and they also developed a single game, unlike CIG which is making two at the same time. And they are much more ambitious games with incredible amounts of fidelity you cuntiflas."

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

I'll use my super power of being able to predict what the backers will say to combat your fud.

"The people behind Duke Nuke didn't have to create *multiple* companies from zero, unlike CIG, and they also developed a single game, unlike CIG which is making two at the same time. And they are much more ambitious games with incredible amounts of fidelity you cuntiflas."

And also

"I haven't sunk $32,000 into this game to end up looking like Christendom's holiest fool. Of course there's a game coming out, and of course my investment has been completely worth it."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

IT'S BLOBERS!!!

Hey, not all of us understand blob development.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisfiguredNeighboringIberianmole-mobile.mp4

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hey, not all of us understand blob development.

Lesnick does

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pixelate posted:

lol, thanks for this.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

how sweet its a baby kilrathi

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
loving lol, went back to that 'best devs in the world' clip, because a redditor claimed he was stream sniped

Don't think he was, but afterwards he starts talking this 'iCache is already in' stuff

https://twitch.tv/videos/992287446?t=26700s

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Everybody who suddenly explodes or dies being stream sniped sounds like a good next play.

But up your game and make sure it was by Derek smart, and not necessarily in-game, but at a literal code level from the ingrained code saboteur taking orders from the big uncle.

Got to make sure the narrative is strong and we stick to the story. :grin:

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Pixelate posted:

loving lol, went back to that 'best devs in the world' clip, because a redditor claimed he was stream sniped

Don't think he was, but afterwards he starts talking this 'iCache is already in' stuff

https://twitch.tv/videos/992287446?t=26700s

"It's in"

"Some of it is"

"It's in 15 pieces"

"I'm making that up"

"They're putting it in bits at a time"

"Some this patch, some next patch"

Ah, yes. Of course. Crystal clear.

Maybe they could try answering these questions using this format:

Q: "What is 'iCache' and when does it go live?"

A: "I don't know."

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They are slowly converting more and more internal systems to iCache but the thing that players want most will likely not be added until server meshing is finished. There is still probably a year left before the important parts go online. Maybe EOY 2022 even.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Popete posted:

Doesn't Fortnite still say it's a beta when you first open it up? CIG's totally going to do the same, if SQ42 ever sees the light of day.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Nalin posted:

They are slowly converting more and more internal systems to iCache but the thing that players want most will likely not be added until server meshing is finished. There is still probably a year left before the important parts go online. Maybe EOY 2022 even.
I seem to remember that in one of their recent videos they answered a plaintive question from a Citizen who wanted to be reassured that "server meshing" wasn't some pie-in-the-sky promise they were chasing but rather something they knew how to do and had a plan for achieving. And the answer was, of course, YES! CIG knows exactly what needs to be done and they expect to finish it sometime next year...for, uh, the first part of server meshing, that is. Which is really just the groundwork that needs to be done to, um, have things set up for full server meshing, which they don't know how to do yet because, y'know, they need that groundwork done, but after that? Probably it'll be easy! No reason to worry about it!

Oh, and also they were careful to point out that this groundwork tier-0 version of server meshing that they know how to do won't have much visible effect on anything, so no one should have weird and unreasonable expectations in that regard. But that's probably okay. After all, one of the hallmarks of Star Citizen's ongoing development is announcing improvements that don't actually improve anything.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Trilobite posted:

I seem to remember that in one of their recent videos they answered a plaintive question from a Citizen who wanted to be reassured that "server meshing" wasn't some pie-in-the-sky promise they were chasing but rather something they knew how to do and had a plan for achieving. And the answer was, of course, YES! CIG knows exactly what needs to be done and they expect to finish it sometime next year...for, uh, the first part of server meshing, that is. Which is really just the groundwork that needs to be done to, um, have things set up for full server meshing, which they don't know how to do yet because, y'know, they need that groundwork done, but after that? Probably it'll be easy! No reason to worry about it!

Oh, and also they were careful to point out that this groundwork tier-0 version of server meshing that they know how to do won't have much visible effect on anything, so no one should have weird and unreasonable expectations in that regard. But that's probably okay. After all, one of the hallmarks of Star Citizen's ongoing development is announcing improvements that don't actually improve anything.

The T0 server meshing is somewhat simple. It's where each planetary zone is its own server instead of a single server for the whole star system. It only requires the ability to transfer players between servers whenever they quantum travel. The main benefit is reduced AI load on the server so it should help improve gameplay. No more enemy NPCs standing around while you shoot them because the server is utterly overwhelmed.

I'm going to guess that CIG is going to stop after the static server meshing as their dynamic meshing goal is quite a bit more complicated and they may decide static meshing is "good enough".

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

CIG is implementing a never-been-done before technology, you say? When finished, it will solve a big part of the game's problems? And it's only a single year away?

Well hot drat! Star Citizen is saved for sure, this time!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG is implementing a never-been-done before technology, you say? When finished, it will solve a big part of the game's problems? And it's only a single year away?

Well hot drat! Star Citizen is saved for sure, this time!

I mean, at its simplest, all it is doing is having a different server keep a record of entities. And the big problem it will solve is not wiping player's ships when the server crashes. A server crash will erase your ship and all your cargo, which is why players avoid doing risky activities like hauling cargo or mining.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Trilobite posted:

Look at all this FUD. Think of all the things CIG has already implemented that have never been done before!

* Internal Physics Grids!
* 64-bit Engine Tech & Procedural Edge Blending, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Unified First And Third-Person Animations!
* Face Over IP!
* Item System 2.0!, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Procedural Food!
* Serialized Variables, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Procedural Planets!
* Procedural Planets, Again!
* Procedural Planets, One More Time!
* Network Bind Culling, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Render To Texture And Viewports!
* Real Time Cloth Deformation!
* Procedural Gas Clouds!
* Object Container Streaming, which FIXED EVERYTHING
* Subsumption AI!
* Physically Based Rendering!
* Signed Distance Fields!

Now maybe it seems to you like this is years worth of bullshit that took years longer to add than single devs working out of their garages can do, and/or added useless complexity to an already bloated-beyond-belief project without bringing it one step closer to completion. You might even argue that many of these are not even visible at all in the final product! But may I add that these things also cost a shitload of money, and in many cases made the game actively worse to play! So suck on that, hater!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

I mean, at its simplest, all it is doing is having a different server keep a record of entities. And the big problem it will solve is not wiping player's ships when the server crashes. A server crash will erase your ship and all your cargo, which is why players avoid doing risky activities like hauling cargo or mining.

Sure seems like maybe a small piece of work being hyped up into something important for the sake of pretending that there is visible progress!

But CIG would never do that

Oops my finger slipped and I quoted my own post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Quote this when server meshing t0 is in game and it fixes none of these issues.