Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the only meat I've ever purchased that I couldn't see (and thus select based on what I was seeing) was a chub of ground beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Costco also has a pork rib roast which is fantastic.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I will clean out my costco if I ever see beef ribs for sale.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

um excuse me posted:

See if you have a Costco business center near you. Can usually find them there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

um excuse me posted:

Like a rack of beef ribs? My Costco in Springfield, VA has them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

pezzie posted:

Wait how on earth were these short ribs packaged? The last time I saw beef short ribs sliced the Korean way at Costco, it was very obvious through the transparent packaging.

And I get being mad, I would be too if I wanted smoked short ribs and got them sliced that way, but those ribs still are very delicious. Make a Korean style marinade for them and grill the bad boys up.

I could see one row of ends, which made me think the bones were >2" (the depth of the package). There was no other sign of bones, or ANY indication of the thickness of the cuts.

bird with big dick posted:

Sorry that you’ve never heard of galbi before but to insist that they’re not ribs is really really stupid.

Give me a break. How far are you willing to stretch that definition... ground meat form?

um excuse me posted:

The business center I go to is the Costco I spoke of, that started with ~10" beef ribs with bones, to boneless, to nothing, to this thin sliced stuff.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2021

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Hasselblad posted:

I could see one row of ends, which made me think the bones were >2" (the depth of the package). There was no other sign of bones, or ANY indication of the thickness of the cuts.

Sorry you haven’t heard of kalbi before otherwise you would’ve known. At $10 a pound they’re a great deal IMO

mls fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 27, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

mls posted:

Sorry you haven’t heard of kalbi before otherwise you would’ve known. At $10 a pound they’re a great deal IMO

Guys, I get it and accept that it is a thing I have never heard of until now. Not sure what you want me to say. I went to get short ribs the way I am used to them being sold, and wound up with these. :shrug: I had a mission: 72 hour beef ribs, something I have been working to tweek ever since I started making them a couple years ago. This was the only iteration of "short ribs" in the case, and I had no reason to expect them to be anything other than what I was used to.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s the same piece of beef, just cut differently. Why not do what you were going to do anyway and see how it goes? Could be amazing.

Or, if it’s really bothering you tie it together with butchers twine.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hasselblad posted:

Guys, I get it and accept that it is a thing I have never heard of until now. Not sure what you want me to say. I went to get short ribs the way I am used to them being sold, and wound up with these. :shrug: I had a mission: 72 hour beef ribs, something I have been working to tweek ever since I started making them a couple years ago. This was the only iteration of "short ribs" in the case, and I had no reason to expect them to be anything other than what I was used to.

No, you see-we have to continue to dogpile you and scoff that you don’t know what those were and how to make a Korean delicacy with them instead of complaining. It’s the goon way.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm korean and don't know about this cut lol.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

Give me a break. How far are you willing to stretch that definition... ground meat form?

Do you have rib bones in your ground meat?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry guys we can’t call these short ribs anymore because this yokel has never heard of them before and doesn’t like it and gets confused and doesn’t look at the package before he puts it in his cart

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn y’all got me hankering for some reeeeeebs

That said I’ve never heard of whatever that is either, lol give the guy a break

I do need more Korean food in my life though so ribs might be a good place to start

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Hasselblad posted:

If it’s any constellation prize, I’ve done 72 hours short ribs in the sous vide and made a kalbi marinade. I then mixed the marinade with the bag juices and reduced to make a sauce. Garnished with scallions and sesame seeds, eaten over white cal rose rice. Pretty amazing. I’m convinced you can put any good sauce over 72 hour short ribs and it will be amazing. My all time favorite is doing this with Gordon Ramsay’s shallot red wine reduction. I’ve tried making it with regular stock and it comes nowhere near what the bag juices create.

mls fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Never heard of them but looking them up has got me hankering to try

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I started making galbi like two months ago and can’t stop.

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/la-galbi-gui-grilled-la-style-short-ribs/

Run over to the Korean grocery store for some kimchi, cucumber pickles and those pickled radishes.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
First ribs in awhile... Came out great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love galbi but would still be (briefly) irritated if I bought what I thought were standard short ribs and got galbi cut instead.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I love galbi but would still be (briefly) irritated if I bought what I thought were standard short ribs and got galbi cut instead.

Yeah I agree. That said it’s a great excuse to make some galbi.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

"Meat Glue"

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I just found out I’m allergic to pork.

I have half a mind to sell my smoker and FireBoard.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

I just found out I’m allergic to pork.

I have half a mind to sell my smoker and FireBoard.

That sucks all the scrotums in the universe.

How did you find out and were you always allergic or did you eat pork one day and find out you could no longer eat it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

That sucks all the scrotums in the universe.

How did you find out and were you always allergic or did you eat pork one day and find out you could no longer eat it?

Like a month ago I made some pork ribs and had trouble swallowing. I figured a piece of cartilage got lodged in my throat or something but no matter how much water I tried, it wouldn’t go down. I wasn’t choking but it was restricting much of anything from going down my esophagus. Cue a trip to the ER where they put me under and used an endoscope to push the food down to my stomach. There was a GI doctor doing the procedure and he took a biopsy and said he suspects Eosinophilic Esophagitis, and figured a good allergy may be the cause. It’s basically where you eat certain foods and over time your esophagus restricts and if you continue untreated eventually you can’t swallow a thing.

Cue the allergist test and it shows I’m allergic to pork, soy, cucumber, and sesame seeds. So I’m supposed to eliminate those from my diet for a few months and see if the next biopsy improves.

So pork MAY not be the issue, but I eat tons of things with soy and never have an issue, so I’m preparing for the worst.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it just the swallowing thats problematic? Maybe you could still chew bacon up and spit it out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Allow us to introduce you to the great wide world of BBQ beef ribs.

:getin:

More seriously, that sucks, sorry for your loss. Glad you’re ok though!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

nwin posted:

I’m allergic to pork, soy, cucumber, and sesame seeds.

That sounds terrible. I'm sorry for your loss.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I know someone who developed an extremely serious allergy to sesame in his 20s, of those pork is probably the easiest to avoid. Sesame is everywhere

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CancerCakes posted:

I know someone who developed an extremely serious allergy to sesame in his 20s, of those pork is probably the easiest to avoid. Sesame is everywhere

I wasn’t even worried about sesame. Though I’m just thinking sesame seeds on everything bagels and sesame chicken.

Soy is a loving BITCH though. Soy protein isolate, soy lecithin as a thickener. Holy gently caress-soybean oil.

Edit : gently caress. Sesame is in everything. God drat. Why can’t I just be allergic to loving cucumbers and that’s it.

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 27, 2021

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

gwrtheyrn posted:

just to save you time, the pork belly is also sliced

Your Costco slices the Pork Belly? Mine doesn't. It comes in a huge slab.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Trastion posted:

Mine sells it both ways, the pre-sliced is great if you are doing pork belly burnt ends.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Trastion posted:

Lucky. I've only ever seen it sliced here

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My non beef rib having costco also doesn't slice it.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Maybe their Costco just got a new slicer and the guy in the back just really likes to use their new toy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
That or more asians buy pork belly and that's how they'd buy it. I think costco started selling spare ribs cut into ~1" sections in the last couple years here, which I know for sure is a common cut in chinese groceries. They may have had it longer, but I never noticed it before then

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
My Mexican father in law makes those kinds of short ribs and most times I've been to barbeques with that side of the family they grill those, they're apparently called tablitas. I want to try the Asian style ones now.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Speaking of Costco, I picked up some chicken there and was a bit surprised to see the recommendation now on the label is 185 not 165.

I can imagine that's a tough bird if you let it go all the way.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Random Hero posted:

First ribs in awhile... Came out great.

Dang that looks good

Need that cabbage recipe please

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Carillon posted:

Speaking of Costco, I picked up some chicken there and was a bit surprised to see the recommendation now on the label is 185 not 165.

I can imagine that's a tough bird if you let it go all the way.

All those “done” nipples on turkeys are all set for 185. And my mom always wondered why her birds always came out dry....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Now I know why I’ve never been a huge fan of whole turkey