Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s absolutely going to be an “all millennial adults are just giant children” thing and not a literal “people below the age of majority are getting graphic tattoos” thing.

Correct

"The children of Park Slope and Echo Park with their graphic tattoos and nut allergies and an odd inability to form complete sentences. The neurotic, anxious twentysomethings who went to college to be told that “truth” is a white male construct, who seem devoid of poetry or irony, who believe mean words, words with which they disagree, are like ICBMs. Those whose lives are circumscribed by galactic reservoirs of ignorance — about the past, the culture, themselves, about why they believe what they know to be good and indisputable. Those who know only how to perform, and who rely on acronyms and slogans and logical fallacies when asked: how can you be sure of that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Piell posted:

"The children of Park Slope and Echo Park with their graphic tattoos and nut allergies and an odd inability to form complete sentences. The neurotic, anxious twentysomethings who went to college to be told that “truth” is a white male construct, who seem devoid of poetry or irony, who believe mean words, words with which they disagree, are like ICBMs. Those whose lives are circumscribed by galactic reservoirs of ignorance — about the past, the culture, themselves, about why they believe what they know to be good and indisputable. Those who know only how to perform, and who rely on acronyms and slogans and logical fallacies when asked: how can you be sure of that?"

Just to be clear, there are no complete sentences in here.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/linmcham/status/1386998204592529411?s=21

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What? I mean, I, uh... what?! I assume it's some TERF poo poo. :sigh:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

There's a men wearing skirts in Scotland joke here somewhere

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Baron von Eevl posted:

A theory I've heard is that it may have had to do with advice from physicians for pregnant women and people with infants to avoid peanut products in case the child has an allergy. Turns out Israel has relatively low incidence of peanut allergies and a really common snack there (including for babies) is bamba, which is basically cheese puffs but with peanut powder instead of fake cheese powder.

Yea this is what I have heard too (though don't know how real it is). Recentish parenting techniques said don't give your child X food in case your kid is allergic to it, preventing the child to possibly get a mild allergic reaction early on and have the body to learn to cope with it that as the kid gets older it no longer becomes a deal. Newish parenting practices now say it is okay to give a child X food but in small moderation to see how the child reacts.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Levar Burton went on the View and said cancel culture should really be renamed consequence culture, and people should be held accountable for their actions

https://twitter.com/justicedeveraux/status/1386707302909190144

Naturally this caused a lot of "Levar is brainwashed by the liberals!" and "My Geordi would never stand for witch hunts!" Plenty of projection that everyone is getting called a nazi and getting killed for it, even though he suggested no such thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

me, a boomer listening to pink floyd and watching star trek: LIBERALLLLSSSSS

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Liberals ruined Star Trek” me a boomer nodding in agreement

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
There is an entire army of "boomers who think they loved Star Trek but actually completely missed the point" out there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

hawowanlawow posted:

me, a boomer listening to pink floyd and watching star trek: LIBERALLLLSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZM1WQKwpl0

This album probably radicalized a bunch of teens (It sure got me, anyway)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad was a night security guard at Battersea power station (decommissioned building in that shot) during his student days and after the album came out he made a fortune from Bands Who Will Give You £5 To Take Pictures In Here Mate.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My heart briefly went cold when I saw a celebrity from childhood talking about cancel culture, so I'm glad Levar Burton hasn't turned into a shithead.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZM1WQKwpl0

This album probably radicalized a bunch of teens (It sure got me, anyway)

:hfive:

1stGear posted:

My heart briefly went cold when I saw a celebrity from childhood talking about cancel culture, so I'm glad Levar Burton hasn't turned into a shithead.

I would be shocked if he was one of those people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ckDJ3xTaE

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There is an entire army of "boomers who think they loved Star Trek but actually completely missed the point" out there.
There are people who think the Empire were the good guys in Star Wars and some dude wrote a defense of Ebeneezer Scrooge so let's not pretend there's any depths their minds won't adapt to if they can convince themselves they'd be the ones wearing the boot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Yeah, despite some of the more nutter-esque people, on the whole I feel 'cancel' culture has been a really good thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Samovar posted:

Yeah, despite some of the more nutter-esque people, on the whole I feel 'cancel' culture has been a really good thing.

Like I've been saying, I think we should just own it. If you're against cancel culture it's like being anti-anti-fa

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Samovar posted:

I mean, off the top of my head I can't think of any innocent people that have been irreparably cancelled and even for the people who get cancelled it feels like they usually just have to disappear for a few months and then their career is back so I don't think there's really a lot to be concerned about the idea of it going "too far"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never heard of someone being canceled who didn't deserve it. Like I'm sure it's happened, but it's almost entirely been people losing platforms they used to do harm. The one time I saw a shitstorm that seemed wholly unwarranted, the stormee came out as an open nazi sympathizer like weeks later, which helped me trust the system.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also the effects of “cancellation” are heavily dependent on your resources and status. The band PWR BTTM are the only people I can think of who truly got wiped off the map.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

christmas boots posted:

I mean, off the top of my head I can't think of any innocent people that have been irreparably cancelled and even for the people who get cancelled it feels like they usually just have to disappear for a few months and then their career is back so I don't think there's really a lot to be concerned about the idea of it going "too far"

Colin Kaepernick? :v:

I'm sure there's more people where the wealthy people in charge quietly went "gently caress this person" and their careers went down the drain.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Katt posted:

I was going to say the Dixie Chicks

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Aramoro posted:

Same but an example of someone being cancelled 20 years ago felt like it would undermine my point.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

*browses permabans in the Leper's Colony*

Wow, cancel culture on these forums is out of control

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Katt posted:

I'm sure there's more people where the wealthy people in charge quietly went "gently caress this person" and their careers went down the drain.

Oh yeah that's a good one. Weird how he doesn't get counted among the "cancelled". Guess that's not what you call it when capital does it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kdrudy posted:

It'll never be streets ahead.

Did Community actually come up with this, or did they just piggyback on a then-new phrase?

Cause I saw a real life art professor dude use it non-ironically on tv last week, from a current show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1387090482723921924?s=19

Conservatives posting sad pictures of food to own the libs will never not be funny to me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
ice cream. i invented it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah their latest thing is eating 4lb steaks because of some kind of whole cloth lie from Fox News about Biden wanting to make eating more beef than that a year illegal

Or something

Getting colon cancer to own the libs I guess :confuoot:

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
There's cancelled as in "people don't like a huge piece of poo poo but nothing happens to them" and "hounded out of public life by the crazy tumblrs!!!". The latter only actually happens to random ordinary people that the cancel culture squealers would definitely hate.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
“‘Cancel culture’ is just ‘consequence culture’” is true, but I don’t think it addresses how absurd use of the phrase has gotten. There are rarely any consequences involved. Refraining from buying someone’s product, or simply not liking someone, is “cancel culture” to them. What it takes to count as a tyrannical, beyond-the-pale cancellation seems inverse to how powerful the supposed cancelee is.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Apr 27, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, does "chuds boycotting companies for saying racism is bad or putting up a rainbow flag" count as cancel culture hurting people who don't deserve it?

I mean, if they ever did hurt anyone with it, which, lmao.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best is that they were never customers so their boycott is almost always *buys a thing for the first time and performatively burns it*

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
CHUD “boycotts” typically involve destroying things they’ve bought with their money, so it’s technically not hypocritical for them to tend their garments about libs deciding not to buy Goya or JK Rowling’s new detective books :haw:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

There are people who think the Empire were the good guys in Star Wars

At least those people are honest. The real weirdos are the conservative shitheads who identify with the rebels. (The Empire is, of course, liberals)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Honestly, my response to these people is:

'What exactly do you feel you've been forbidden from saying?'

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Aramoro posted:

If you really wanna reach back, Snead O'Conner.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Samovar posted:

Also, I feel like a huge chunk of people complaining about cancel culture just lurk on Twitter looking for random people who say X should be cancled and make a fox News segment out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you want to go really back the red scare had a lot of people cancelled just for the suspicion you might be communist.

Especially in Hollywood