Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all have some weird edgy hold ups about food and what others do with their dietary choices and I’m pretty sure half the poo poo in here y’all just made up

Like you get that it’s mostly people just doing their own thing, minding their biz, sans any title, and y’all assigning and making up labels for them—assuming their dietary choices

Is this the backlash cause you thought Biden was gonna restrict red meat? Post them briskets to Twitter to own the libs, quick!

https://www.carnivoreisvegan.com/wild-mushrooms-are-not-vegan/
https://www.iamgoingvegan.com/are-mushrooms-vegan/

Edit: it is loving wild out in the weeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How can you tell if there’s a vegan at a party?

Oh don’t worry, they’ll tell you.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hey n4d how ya doin

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 27, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blind Rasputin posted:

How can you tell if there’s a vegan at a party?

Oh don’t worry, they’ll tell you.

This works for bitcoin people too.

Mormons are the ones running around meth'd out on mountain dew.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sometimes I lose hours of sleep staring at the ceiling pondering that creationist argument about eyeballs, except applied to hard cheese

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.carnivoreisvegan.com/carnivore-diet-is-vegan/

quote:

Whether you are ready to hear this or not, a Carnivore Diet, a diet comprised entirely of animal products, and more specifically, a diet comprised entirely or almost entirely of large herbivores such as cows and sheep, is more vegan than the vegan diet, and we’ll prove this to you with incontrovertible facts.

You weren't kidding.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CainFortea posted:

lol, yea, we're the ones with the hangups.

Haha nice one man

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 27, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My wife and I started using Impossible burger as a substitute for ground beef in some dishes and its pretty good. We still buy ground beef and meat, just not nearly as much.

Ironically, the one person who threw the biggest fit about it was my sister who is a vegan. She's incredibly gatekeepy and pious about it. You would think my wife and I making the effort to eat less meat would be encouraged, instead it was just "Well you're still terrible because you need to eat pretend meat and pretend meat is just pretend murder" which :psyduck: We don't talk to her anymore, for other reasons, but poo poo like that makes it all the easier to not deal with her.

Like I honestly don't give a poo poo what other people choose to eat, and it always confounds me when someone on an individual level tries to guilt or shame other people for their dietary habits for no reason other than to lord over them how much better they are.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Impossible meat is pretty good, just expensive as hell

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm pretty sure any mental energy I expended on creationism ground to a halt with Kirk Camerons' banana talk.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

If a cow is tied to the trolley track...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

You would think my wife and I making the effort to eat less meat would be encouraged, instead it was just "Well you're still terrible because you need to eat pretend meat and pretend meat is just pretend murder" which :psyduck:

wat

fuckin' brain-breaking poo poo there

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Just give me some loving slop, I just need the energy. Expensive meals seem like such a waste of money and resources, it all ends up as poo poo in the end

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Notahippie posted:

I knew a guy in St Louis who would start his day with what he called "poor man's Guinness" - a 50/50 ratio of coffee and Stag beer, which is a midwestern poo poo-tier cheap beer (but actually way better than Coors)

Stag is pretty good for cheap beer. But this, I don't know what I think about this. I'm going to have to try it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Brute Squad posted:

Stag is pretty good for cheap beer. But this, I don't know what I think about this. I'm going to have to try it.

It tastes exactly like you think it would taste. Personally, I think it's not terrible if you use sweetened coffee but still not as good as just drinking coffee with a beer chaser if you want.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can you please edit your post and not use that name on here, thanks.

Edited

How ya doin

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So...the vegans and fungi thing in the second link is less about mushrooms, and more about one type, truffles, and the abusive practice of using animals to find them.

That seems fair, idk. First link is bonkers tho

boop the snoot posted:

Edited

How ya doin

I’m ok, nothing too noteworthy. Second shot is done so that’s cool. Bought tickets to a show I missed last year because of the pandemic—not until September though. Miss music and dancing.

Hope you’re good, as well as the pup.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 27, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

facialimpediment posted:

wat

My wife will eat the impossible burger but she doesn't like it. Her reasoning is that they make it taste like meat, that vegan food should stand on its own, taste good and not to be a pale imitation of meat.

Also she doesn't like processed foods that much and you bet your rear end impossible burger is processed the poo poo out of it to make it taste like meat.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife and I started using Impossible burger as a substitute for ground beef in some dishes and its pretty good. We still buy ground beef and meat, just not nearly as much.

Ironically, the one person who threw the biggest fit about it was my sister who is a vegan. She's incredibly gatekeepy and pious about it. You would think my wife and I making the effort to eat less meat would be encouraged, instead it was just "Well you're still terrible because you need to eat pretend meat and pretend meat is just pretend murder" which :psyduck: We don't talk to her anymore, for other reasons, but poo poo like that makes it all the easier to not deal with her.

Like I honestly don't give a poo poo what other people choose to eat, and it always confounds me when someone on an individual level tries to guilt or shame other people for their dietary habits for no reason other than to lord over them how much better they are.

My wife is vegetarian. The impossible/beyond meats have allowed me to make some childhood dishes for her to try.

Also don't understand the "militant" people who attempt to convert or shame people based on diet either. Most notably it's usually vegans, juice cleanse people, and atkins/keto people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Daal and rice is pretty amazing and easily vegan. Love it

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

Daal and rice is pretty amazing and easily vegan. Love it

I will eat the poo poo out of Indian food. We have a local guy that is on a mission to try all the Indian restaurants in the area and blog about it. I just go to whatever location he was at last and order what he did.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah if y’all wanna talk and bash weird culty poo poo that’s terrible for you, then keto is at the forefront imo. Let two keto people find themselves out on the wild, it’s weird.

Is keto a copy/paste of Atkins? I remember at one point there was Atkins labeled food at the grocery store, then he died, and the fad went away for 10-15 years

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah if y’all wanna talk and bash weird culty poo poo that’s terrible for you, then keto is at the forefront imo. Let two keto people find themselves out on the wild, it’s weird.

Is keto a copy/paste of Atkins? I remember at one point there was Atkins labeled food at the grocery store, then he died, and the fad went away for 10-15 years

It shares some elements of it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ElMaligno posted:

My wife will eat the impossible burger but she doesn't like it. Her reasoning is that they make it taste like meat, that vegan food should stand on its own, taste good and not to be a pale imitation of meat.

My favorite kinds of non-meat patties are the ones that don't try to be beef imitations. This one America's Test Kitchen approach that always stuck with me was basically "they don't need to taste like a burger patty, but they should act like a burger patty -- meaning it should be tasty, savory, and you should be able to grill it & put it in a bun without it falling apart."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'll say as an omnivore I'm super excited for stuff like impossible burger and other meat alternatives.

I more just like laughing when vegans appeal to their diet being more natural, because its a gigantic appeal to nature fallacy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My main issue with vegans are the types who claim it’s the only ecologically ethical and sustainable diet, meanwhile they’re almost exclusively urban and need all their food shipped in to them and think that populations in arid or remote communities need to grow more beans in the Arctic circle or the savannah.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Keto predates Atkins and was originally a diet to help reduce the rate of seizures in epileptic children. Atkins just looked at the fat-burning aspect of it and commercialized ketosis as a desirable state.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I have a huge lay interest in anthropology, so when I first heard about the "Paleo diet" I was intrigued at the concept I imagined it meant. i don't know how you'd manage to live as a hunter gatherer these days but if you can pull it off more power to you.

So I looked it up and Jesus Christ lol wtf is that. Just say you're keto. Calling that stuff Paleo is a huge insult to the entire Paleolithic

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Best Friends posted:

I have a huge lay interest in anthropology, so when I first heard about the "Paleo diet" I was intrigued at the concept I imagined it meant. i don't know how you'd manage to live as a hunter gatherer these days but if you can pull it off more power to you.

So I looked it up and Jesus Christ lol wtf is that. Just say you're keto. Calling that stuff Paleo is a huge insult to the entire Paleolithic

Paleo is definitely a much better diet than ketosis, but it’s also not really based on any historical reality for sure. If you’re ketogenic on a paleo diet you’re avoiding a lot of really important staples like sweet potatoes and fruits and nuts for no reason.

It’s an interesting concept and can teach people how to eat cleaner, but yeah it has very little if anything at all to do with actual hunter-gatherer diets.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My wife and I live half the week of rice and chicken breast and meal prep delivery.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Problem is ketosis can be dangerous as gently caress and following a Facebook group does not impart the full weight of knowledge required to understand what you are doing to your body, why you're doing it, and what risks you need to be aware of.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bird food bathtub posted:

Problem is ketosis can be dangerous as gently caress and following a Facebook group does not impart the full weight of knowledge required to understand what you are doing to your body, why you're doing it, and what risks you need to be aware of.

Nah this tub of lard, bacon and scrambled eggs is perfectly healthy cuz it's got no carbs. Doc, what do you mean I need statins at the age of 30?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Nah this tub of lard, bacon and scrambled eggs is perfectly healthy cuz it's got no carbs. Doc, what do you mean I need statins at the age of 30?

Next thing you know you're in the hawaiian wilderness building a zipline that euthanizes six year olds, wondering where you went wrong with your life.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kazinsal posted:

Next thing you know you're in the hawaiian wilderness building a zipline that euthanizes six year olds, wondering where you went wrong with your life.

The time you attempted to walk across the United States, obviously.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

They might as well have shut down the entire forum after that. They'll never top it.

I think I still have his insane diary entries saved on my home PC, ill post them later

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
He traveled as far as the opposite side of the park.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He had raisins

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

and peanuts, how dare you insult good ol peanuts by omission

even without the suicide walk plan, publicly stating "I'm eating gorp by the handful" should be grounds for an evaluation

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KirbyKhan posted:

He traveled as far as the opposite side of the park.

Not quite.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

wat

She also views any and all animal euthanasia as straight up cold blooded murder, which considering my wife is a veterinarian, was a major point of contention. I told her to shut the gently caress up once when she kept referring to it as murder in front of my wife, who has been very vocal that it is the hardest part of her job.

On the other hand, I know like a dozen other vegans who are cool as hell and don't give a poo poo what anyone else eats (or at least they don't express any of that to my face) nor do they feel the need to loudly tell everyone they are dumb and bad for eating differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Sever