Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if they don't have money to hire you i would price in a bunch of "i won't get paid" risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

m0therfux0r posted:

I did a contract (W2- not 1099) to hire conversion a couple years ago. You can negotiate, but it's *very very very* limited because you basically have no BATNA.

For this particular job, the contract paid quite well (more than I ever thought I'd be making to be honest), but as you probably guessed, had no benefits beyond a health insurance plan that I was able to pay for prior to taxes. Those tax savings were it though- the staffing agency paid nothing into the actual plan (by that I mean if I had to switch to COBRA, it would have cost exactly the same, but after taxes instead). A lot of companies will try to pay you a lower salary when you convert because of all the compensation that you're now getting (actual company buy-in to health insurance, vacation, sick days, retirement, etc.) and a lot of people who have converted at various companies that I know have been disappointed by that.

When it was time for my conversion, that very thing did happen (although not to an extreme), but I was prepared for it- I had already calculated what my salary would need to be for the same take-home pay now that my health insurance was like 100 bucks a month instead of 400 and just asked for that number as a counter. It was no problem. So basically I ended up with the same take-home pay, but now had a retirement plan, 19 days of vacation, and much better health insurance. It was definitely a decent step up even though it looked like I was actually making a couple thousand less if you just looked at my salary.

That said, I did know that I was already being paid extremely well- for my position in my field, it's probably in the top 25%. If they refused to come up to the number I named, I probably still would have taken the conversion because there's no way I'd be making that kind of money anywhere else around the area- I get recruiters all the time trying to get me for contract positions with the same job title that pay 40-50k less than what I make right now.

If you aren't in a situation like that and they really try to cheap out on your conversion, but you have other options, definitely consider walking.

This covers a lot of my concerns. I guess I'll be requiring a pretty high compensation rate for the contract to have any kind of chance at a competitive offer afterwards.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
My current situation, in case it’s of any help: working one full time position, was going to move to another at a new company via “temp/contract-to-hire” as of last November (new company apparently do no direct hiring these days). I’ve actually been working both as the second agreed to be super flexible owing to family/insurance circumstances at time of “hire” to lead into bringing me on full time benefits (staffing agency’s benefits are terrible).

Fast forward to now and they don’t have the position to bring me on (and no idea when that might be). However they’re asking me to dump my current job and go full time in the office 6/1. This position was slightly above a lateral move (I really feel like I should’ve cut the staffing agency out by now but I worry on the direct contract side too). I want to sit and discuss with them about staying flexible, otherwise it seems crazy to drop all my benefits for a potential open position sometime down the road.

Luckily I’m not out on my rear end if I walk and I’ve been lucky to be able to swing both, just be aware of the risks.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Don't do it. Unless you know someone who works there or it's known that it's basically a guarantee that you'll be converted to full time/permanent, I've seen tons of people get to the end of their contract and just have the contract extended instead of being hired. Even at a company that is known to hire on contractors pretty much every time, it's still a risk- especially in a year (years?) where companies can infinitely use a "we just don't have the money to bring you on because business hasn't recovered from COVID" excuse (which is a bullshit excuse since between you and the temp agency they're probably already paying 2x your salary).

But yeah, I have seen the "we'll probably hire you after 6 months" get extended to 9 months, a year, 2 years, and then totally laid off multiple times at multiple companies.

Edit: To clarify, I mean don't leave a full time job for a contract/temp to hire job. If you're unemployed or already just in a contract job, go for it if it seems promising.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 28, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, "contract-to-hire" jobs often never quite get around to the "-to-hire" part. Stringing you along with a promise that a full-time position with benefits is juuuuust around the corner is SOP for a lot of companies.

GallienKruger
Nov 25, 2005

I’ve been W-2 contract for about a year and half now. There was an effort to bring me on, but they worked very hard to make the process incredibly tedious. They also made it very clear they were reducing my salary once I’d jumped through the hoops. I took the hint and stayed contract.

This position was a huge bump in compensation for me, so I don’t regret taking it. That said, even though I’m making more than enough to compensate for holidays or PTO, I still end up convincing myself to make up hours. I simply can’t justify passing up hundreds of dollars to not work on the Saturday after Christmas. I have had two weeks in this job that weren’t 40 hours, and no weeks that were less than 30.

It’s a lovely way to work and I highly recommend not doing it unless they’re shoveling money at you.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

m0therfux0r posted:

But yeah, I have seen the "we'll probably hire you after 6 months" get extended to 9 months, a year, 2 years, and then totally laid off multiple times at multiple companies.

Is there any way to mitigate this when you make or create the contract?

Whether its a bonus at end, contract completion, or a resigning penalty?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

This company has been harder hit than most, but in watching their board meeting the other day, CEO even said they will strictly not pursue adding headcount (mine would be a new position) and the financials look pretty bad through FY 23. I don’t doubt their sincerity in wanting someone in the role and their goodwill but as a lateral move, meh. I’d love to keep doing both but if push comes to shove, I’ll keep my primary as it’s not so bad as it used to be and pay/workload ratio turns out pretty nicely at present (with actual benefits).

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

TheParadigm posted:

Is there any way to mitigate this when you make or create the contract?

Whether its a bonus at end, contract completion, or a resigning penalty?

Maybe if you're a literally a 1099 contractor/consultant. Through a temp agency (which is what jobs listed specifically as contract-to-hire tend to be), I highly doubt it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah a temp service is just gonna tell you to gently caress off. They only have so much margin they are working with and you aren't going to cut into it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well, this is interesting.

I’m being asked to move countries to one with a much higher tax rate, not being tax adjusted and getting my (frankly absurdly high; they’re not lying when they say the other department heads would be pissed off if they knew) salary rebased down in line with my actual title, off the back of a bruising 2020 review. The only upside is keeping my unvested options (which for various reasons do have actual value).

The next tranche vests...soon.

I have a plan for dealing with this. Will know by Monday if it worked or if I have an exciting new career in menial labour. Either way there should be interesting negotiation thoughts to share for anyone else in the scenario “I’m not underpaid, but nobody else is paid to care about my contribution”.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Just got off the phone with a recruiter who was asking me, "Do you have experience in this, in this, in this?" And I answered, yes, no, yes, yes, no, etc. So she starts off the call this way. Then she asks my salary expectations. There hasn't been any discussion on what the job entails yet. I give the usual, that I'm not comfortable discussing salary until I know what the job entails and looking at the whole picture, blah blah blah.

She picked up on me mentioning benefits so she just starts listing them over the phone, like copays and things like that. This is the second time this has happened to me on a first interview. At some point I interrupt her and say, "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to discuss salary on the first phone call." And she just kept pushing and pushing.

I feel like I was polite but I just had to hang up.

Yeah my desire for a new job is pretty high but at some point I told myself that I'm tired of being the desperate pitiful piss ant when it comes to looking for one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Good choice then. Also sounds like a fairly bad recruiter just running through a checklist and then jumping to salary. They're selling you too, especially if you're already employed with decent demand for labor.

Idk the turnover by number but it's pretty high in recruiting. So you're going to talk to a lot of people bad at their jobs in that first conversation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The more I read here and get a bit of experience with these things, the more I think that outsourcing recruitment is one of the worst things you could do as any size company.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Just got off the phone with a recruiter who was asking me, "Do you have experience in this, in this, in this?" And I answered, yes, no, yes, yes, no, etc. So she starts off the call this way. Then she asks my salary expectations. There hasn't been any discussion on what the job entails yet. I give the usual, that I'm not comfortable discussing salary until I know what the job entails and looking at the whole picture, blah blah blah.

She picked up on me mentioning benefits so she just starts listing them over the phone, like copays and things like that. This is the second time this has happened to me on a first interview. At some point I interrupt her and say, "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to discuss salary on the first phone call." And she just kept pushing and pushing.

I feel like I was polite but I just had to hang up.

Yeah my desire for a new job is pretty high but at some point I told myself that I'm tired of being the desperate pitiful piss ant when it comes to looking for one.

I highly recommend profanity in these cases.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The more I read here and get a bit of experience with these things, the more I think that outsourcing recruitment is one of the worst things you could do as any size company.

I’m guessing keeping HR people worth a drat isn’t easy either?

It honestly makes me wonder when I see companies that do it. Like ok, maybe that tactic is fine for sourcing entry level jobs with tons of mediocre applicants but at higher levels? Seems like you’d want an internal team. I’m sure it’s a cost thing but I wish more of the $ got passed along to the actual worker (that’s a separate issue, really).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah as someone who has worked in HR for several years now I can anecdotally say a lot of HR people don't know jack poo poo and are bad at their jobs. Also got told this gem today after asking why my expense reimbursement regarding travel for my initial interview was lower than expected "oh it's company policy we don't reimburse for tips (uh cheap but ok I guess) or taxes (excuse me what?)." "Ok so what happens if I didn't take the position? Would you have expected me to be out that money flying here for an interview?" "Well paid for travel with interviewing is typically only reserved for CEOs, it's rare that occurs outside of the CEO level" :staredog: this was a real conversation with a CFO.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I understand that recruiting is technically a component of HR, but I think outsourcing stuff like benefits management, payroll, etc, is not quite as bad.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I understand that recruiting is technically a component of HR, but I think outsourcing stuff like benefits management, payroll, etc, is not quite as bad.

Outsourcing routine management is fine, both in HR and finances, especially if you can't justify a full time staff for it. Recruitment is not routine though, and the recruiter should have some feel for both the business and the subject matter of the position. All of the interviews I've done have had the immediate superior as the interviewer, which just makes sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Absurd Alhazred posted:

yeah for sure, this stuff tends to be done very competently by outsource companies because it's entirely mechanical. there's no strategy to it at all.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

At this point in my career I basically won't work with an outsourced recruiter. Anywhere worth working knows to invest in recruiting because in this market and industry you have to sell candidates on your company as much or more than the candidates need to impress the company.

I don't care if they outsource payroll and benefits admin as long as they are competent at it. It's either correct or incorrect. But outsourced recruiting is a quick way to get good candidates to totally ignore you.

At the very least, if you must outsource recruiting, give them an @company.com email and allow them to tell candidates who the hell they are recruiting for. If you contact me with "my client has an opportunity" without telling me who it is your message goes straight into the trash.

Edit: forgot this isn't just a computer-toucher thread but talking about experienced engineers and tech companies

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 30, 2021

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My experience with a recruiter yesterday ruled. An internal guy who based on LinkedIn is pretty senior, we talked high level about the job and about if I saw myself as a fit, and in terms of salary he asked if I had a range and when I said it depends he told me the minimum for the position and started talking about RSUs and bonuses.

Certainly one of the better experiences I’ve had with recruiters. I try to avoid phone calls for anything but serious / internal recruiters though. I’ve only talked to one external guy in the last year and that’s mostly because we have talked before. And even then I knew who he was hiring for.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jordan7hm posted:

My experience with a recruiter yesterday ruled. An internal guy who based on LinkedIn is pretty senior, we talked high level about the job and about if I saw myself as a fit, and in terms of salary he asked if I had a range and when I said it depends he told me the minimum for the position and started talking about RSUs and bonuses.

Certainly one of the better experiences I’ve had with recruiters. I try to avoid phone calls for anything but serious / internal recruiters though. I’ve only talked to one external guy in the last year and that’s mostly because we have talked before. And even then I knew who he was hiring for.

Bingo. You turn down 99 recruiters so you can eventually find this gem

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah as someone who has worked in HR for several years now I can anecdotally say a lot of HR people don't know jack poo poo and are bad at their jobs. Also got told this gem today after asking why my expense reimbursement regarding travel for my initial interview was lower than expected "oh it's company policy we don't reimburse for tips (uh cheap but ok I guess) or taxes (excuse me what?)." "Ok so what happens if I didn't take the position? Would you have expected me to be out that money flying here for an interview?" "Well paid for travel with interviewing is typically only reserved for CEOs, it's rare that occurs outside of the CEO level" :staredog: this was a real conversation with a CFO.

I had a place have me drive 7 hours to them (way faster than flying with 2 connections) and only end up paying for my hotel. You can guess that my broke rear end college self was pretty pissed and turned down their offer immediately (luckily I had 4 other offers).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did they tell you that beforehand? Because I specifically asked based on language I got in here. I'm just kinda floored that this lady thinks only CEOs get flown out to interview. Maybe I understood her wrong but the way she phrased it and talked about it afterwards I don't think she meant just for my employer, I think she meant period.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How the gently caress is not reimbursing taxes suppose to work? No one is going to pay 5-10% of the cost of business travel and this is on top of being skinflint and not reimbursing tips.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's a non profit so the excuse I got was "well since we don't pay taxes it's against our policy to reimburse them." Uh ok I'll make my boss deal with it when he's back. When they initially said it I only heard tips. Mind you, I never even submitted food, it was solely tips to the Lyft drivers to and from the airport. So to actually add content, make sure the terms of reimbursement are spelled out beforehand I guess, even if it is an interview. When I half laughed at her and said if someone expected me to pay for my own long distance interview travel, I would just decline the position, her next response was "well don't slam the door on an opportunity just because they make you pay for travel." I believe we have different opinions on what an "opportunity" consists of.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Non-profits are frequently terrible and exploit people under the guise of "supporting the mission". Low pay, long hours, stupid policies especially in relation to costs.

But of course not at the executive level, because you have to compete for talented execs but not for talented employees or something.

It sucks that it be that way since it'd be nice to work on something meaningful that you really believe in without sacrificing your own well being so significantly. But :capitalism:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sorry, should have mentioned: non profit healthcare (insert meme wink lady) So I felt it might be a little different.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

maybe software is different but i vastly prefer external recruiters to internal. the external ones have a way better sense of market value and do a way better job of pitching me jobs i might actually want to do. they're also way more motivated to actually keep the process on rails than internal recruiters. internal recruiters just shotgun me with every opening they got that has a couple keyword matches with my resume because they get paid whether i reply or not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

Did they tell you that beforehand? Because I specifically asked based on language I got in here. I'm just kinda floored that this lady thinks only CEOs get flown out to interview. Maybe I understood her wrong but the way she phrased it and talked about it afterwards I don't think she meant just for my employer, I think she meant period.

My brother is a dipshit computer toucher and he's been flown to multiple interviews.

I'm just a dipshit and said " if I drive it will be way cheaper even if you pay for one night in a hotel, which I want" and they did.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm computer-toucher adjacent and I've always had travel reimbursed at all levels in my career so far.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

the talent deficit posted:

maybe software is different but i vastly prefer external recruiters to internal. the external ones have a way better sense of market value and do a way better job of pitching me jobs i might actually want to do. they're also way more motivated to actually keep the process on rails than internal recruiters. internal recruiters just shotgun me with every opening they got that has a couple keyword matches with my resume because they get paid whether i reply or not

Good external recruiters are amazing and can help you develop your career across multiple jobs. Most of them aren't good.

Only way I know to find the good ones are personal referrals and just accepting the intro conversations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now that everything's being done remotely I doubt I'll "get" to travel for interviews.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

If you're resigning but you're owed a bonus that pays out on X date, it's really stupid to resign with 2 weeks notice about 1.5 weeks before that date right? Money has to be in the account or it's a big potential risk is my gut feel on that. :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

former glory posted:

If you're resigning but you're owed a bonus that pays out on X date, it's really stupid to resign with 2 weeks notice about 1.5 weeks before that date right? Money has to be in the account or it's a big potential risk is my gut feel on that. :shrug:

Having been there, yes. Push your start date and wait until the cash is in your account.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

former glory posted:

It really depends on your shop and the rapport you have with your boss. When I recently switched jobs my former company was in an unusual financial position and was pushing back bonus payouts over and over again. I was able to push my start date back once but after the bonus was delayed again I just said 'gently caress it' and put in my notice. My boss said we'd keep it between us and we'd hold off on telling HR about me leaving until the end of the year so that I'd be able to get not only my bonus but also my 401k vestment for the year as well.

It can't hurt to let your new employer know that you have a large chunk of cash coming if you can wait a few weeks. If they're not shitlords they should be fine pushing the start date back a bit.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Some companies are super vindictive about things once notice has been put in. Legendarily (as in: possibly bullshit, but it matches with everything else I've heard from the company), a senior programmer once put in his notice at Rockstar after the title he was working on had gone gold, but before the release date. Rockstar put out a day 0 patch to pull his name from the credits and denied him his ship bonus even though he was still an employee in the company on the dates the title shipped and bonuses paid out.

Just as you always wait for things to be in writing and signed before starting moving arrangements, always get your money before you leave. Putting trust in an HR department to act with kindness or humanity is a fool's errand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I did exactly this, last month. You’re going to want to look at your contract.

I worked at a Big 4 accounting firm and planned to move to another Big 4, which customarily results in being locked out within a few days of alerting them. I had a $18k bonus due April 15, and a second ~$1.5k bonus due April 30, both contingent on being employed as of that date.

So I took a look at my contract, and saw that I would still be paid for the entirety of the notice period even if I was locked out. I gave notice April 15 at 5pm after confirming I had the money in my bank account (and moved it to be safe lol), with an effective date of May 1. They locked me out April 21. Checked my paycheck Friday, and there was my 4/30 bonus.