Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

But racially conservative Whites — those who score high on measures of anti-Black prejudice — think of guns in terms of good citizenship. This group of Whites interprets attempts to restrict access to guns not as an effort to prevent gun violence but as an attack on their ability to express their patriotism.

"Yeah, we need guns to protect ourselves from the evil government. Now, get out those shock troopers and smash that mob! Wait let me get my Hemi-4x4 and I'll go plow em down for ya since it's legal now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

skybolt_1 posted:

This is a dumb take, sorry. All the groups you mention are far more likely to have paperless for everything, primarily due to housing insecurity and frequent moves, but that's a totally different problem.

REAL ID is a solution looking for a problem and there are a lot of good reasons to attack it but this isn't one of them.

I think the issue they meant about paperless is that to get a Real ID, you need physical statements that are in your name. IIRC some of the permissible evidence to get a Real ID can be a printed-off copy of a paperless statement, but I don't think all can be printed by you (plus, there's the inevitable, systemic racism aspect of DMV employees hassling PoC for printed support).

America is rear end-backwards when it comes to legal stuff needing to be done in the most archaic format. At my company, we regularly form new entities and need to apply for EINs (i.e. SSN for a business entity). Because of late-stage capitalism, most entities we form are offshore. Before COVID, the only way to apply for an EIN for those entities was to call the IRS, wait to get a real agent on the line, read them every part of your application, then have the agent give you their personal fax number so you could send over your application.

Another common occurrence is a business/law firm requiring a document to be 'wet-signed', but then they're ok with you just emailing them a scanned copy of the physically-signed form!

One silver-lining to COVID is it forced a lot of stuck-in-the-mud institutions to accept paperless workflows.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Data Graham posted:

And for the benefit of non-USians, just to be clear, the reason why we don't all just get a free Federal ID when we turn 18 is ... religious weirdos who think it's the Mark of the Beast.

Just like the social security number which we all now have to use for things it was never intended for anyway

Where does one automatically get a free ID? Here it costs around 50 eurobucks + official photo about 10 bucks (though you can take the shot yourself as long as it passes the official requirements).

But if you can't get manage that then welfare will cover the necessary documents for you, or in case of voting you can also get a free voting ID from the police department but you still need the official photo. The latter sounds like a hassle though, it's only useful for voting.

So you do get free ID if you are poor and need it, but you don't just automagically get handed one when you turn 18, you must always apply for one (and request welfare to pay for it if you can't pay it out of pocket). And it expires in five years anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/anitakumar01/status/1387114306517540865

Should....should she be telling people that? This is how we get President Jack Ryan.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

zoux posted:

Should....should she be telling people that? This is how we get President Jack Ryan.

I'm dumb. What does this mean?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Looks like they just don't need one because the Cabinet members will be attending virtually. I'm going to guess someone asked a really stupid question, got a stupid answer, and then put it up without context to generate clicks.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Designated survivor is supposed to be used when the President/VP and Cabinet are all in one location so that in the hypothetical event that some sort of attack happens that wipes them out there'll be someone from the government ready to take over.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...You mean all those militias "to stop looters" are actually racist? Imagine my shock

But yeah this is not remotely surprising. Guns are fundamentally tied to a lot of dumb white men who believe they are the second coming of Robert E Lee. It's their patriotism and their penis.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Velocity Raptor posted:

designated survivor is a thing where they pick a person to be prez if a nuke kills the whole chain of succession.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Velocity Raptor posted:

You've obviously never seen the hit ABC political drama Designated Survivor

(when a bunch of people are in a joint session for a presidential speech, a lot of people in the presidential line of succession are in the same place. Three of them are on the dais! So they take some cabinet member and stash them in an undisclosed location in case a bunch of Japanese nationalists crash a 747 into the capitol or something)

Zeron posted:

Looks like they just don't need one because the Cabinet members will be attending virtually. I'm going to guess someone asked a really stupid question, got a stupid answer, and then put it up without context to generate clicks.

Yeah I know, I just thought it was funny

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Velocity Raptor posted:

Continuity of Government protocols stipulate that not everyone in the chain of succession can be in the same place at the same time, in case of an attack or random meteor hitting the Capitol or whatever. Which means someone in that line needs to wait out the speech a ways a way in a bunker.

It's the hostage for the Queen's Speech, but with much less pageantry.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Velocity Raptor posted:

During State of the Unions or Joint Sessions of Congress, one cabinet member stays behind to make sure that the chain of command is intact if someone bombed the session and killed the President, VP, Cabinet, and Speaker.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

Biden keeps on delivering. With the seat changes to the US house being less swingy as expected I think its more favourable then not now that Dems keep the trifecta in 2022; especially since Biden is not just promising big but delivering in ways that the average person will recognize. Thankfully they're sending out those letters signed by Biden as well, the government needs to do more to advocate for itself.

It's also a pretty organic way to pressure industries/ companies to up their wages themselves, since it seems Sinema isn't letting it pass Congress.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You don't need a social security card to get a birth certificate.

Do you think there are thousands of stateless people off the grid who can never get back?
Kind of?

"Article posted:

For decades, many low-income African American women in the South gave birth in family homes instead of hospitals, aided by midwives, said Nicole Austin-Hillery, director of the Washington office of the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, a nonpartisan law and policy institute. The births often went unrecorded.

Tens of thousands of babies were born off the grid, real people with the status of ghosts.
As many as 7 percent of U.S. citizens – 13 million people – do not have access to the documents that prove their birth and citizenship, according to research by the Brennan Center.

And here's the research from the Brennan Center https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/d/download_file_39242.pdf

So there are lots of stateless, off the grid people who can probably get back - if they can get a lawyer to help and spend all the time and money necessary to track down the necessary proofs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
apparently much like post 2020 businesses still dont get that you can wrok from home or do other tele-BLANK stuff,

gov peeps still dont get that you should just have your chain not be within nuke range of each other.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Ah, thanks everyone

zoux posted:

You've obviously never seen the hit ABC political drama Designated Survivor

I actually haven't even heard of it. I cut the cord almost 5 years ago, and even then didn't watch much.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HonorableTB posted:

Did the FBI even open a civil rights investigation into George Floyd's murder? This must be god awful

George Floyd was murdered when Donald Trump was still president, and also the Biden DOJ is looking into Floyd's post Chauvin verdict.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Where does one automatically get a free ID? Here it costs around 50 eurobucks + official photo about 10 bucks (though you can take the shot yourself as long as it passes the official requirements).

But if you can't get manage that then welfare will cover the necessary documents for you, or in case of voting you can also get a free voting ID from the police department but you still need the official photo. The latter sounds like a hassle though, it's only useful for voting.

So you do get free ID if you are poor and need it, but you don't just automagically get handed one when you turn 18, you must always apply for one (and request welfare to pay for it if you can't pay it out of pocket). And it expires in five years anyway.

Sounds like fasciam!

(It's more or less the same here)

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

Doesnt one of the systems just require an interview, or in addition to that? Also lol at that hurdle when all it means is that anybody who wanted to do some terrorism but didnt have a clean background would just have to wait an additional 30 minutes or so

there's two programs: precheck, which lets you use the faster TSA security line, which requires you to visit a local background check place where they take your fingerprints and run a basic background check, and there's global entry, which lets you use the TSA security line and also lets you use automated customs kiosks, which requires an actual interview that can only be given in a few places (generally at hub airports)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I got my Real ID compliant ID by accident 4 years ago. They just took my existing ID and asked me to bring a copy of my social security card. I got it and when I moved to a new state, they just gave me another real ID license without having to do anything.

I still haven't used it for any international airline travel or access to nuclear power plants, yet.

The only good thing about it is that it lasts for 10 years without requiring renewal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1387133611145457665

Wayne LaPierre is a psycho gun nut but is he at least a capable hunter? Also no.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1387139261770747905

Since this is the exact opposite of reality, I wonder what's giving people this impression :thunk: What's the difference?????

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

Wayne LaPierre is a psycho gun nut but is he at least a capable hunter? Also no.

Oh good: Ghoulish poaching

Can the NRA just die now please?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

this is good but whose working on a federal contract and also receiving tips

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

Crashing this speech...with no survivors!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Murdering "big game" is not hunting. It is murder, for psychopaths.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

if you just tipped 20% on the nuclear warhead i helped build i wouldn't need a higher minimum wage!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wait staff at the Officer's club?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are u posted:

Murdering "big game" is not hunting. It is murder, for psychopaths.

Well he sucks at that too

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I got my Real ID compliant ID by accident 4 years ago. They just took my existing ID and asked me to bring a copy of my social security card. I got it and when I moved to a new state, they just gave me another real ID license without having to do anything.

I still haven't used it for any international airline travel or access to nuclear power plants, yet.

The only good thing about it is that it lasts for 10 years without requiring renewal.

I got mine by being lazy. When I last needed to renew, I was about to leave for Chile on an expedition, and within like two weeks of getting back I'd be flying to Scotland to get married, and I had to send my passport out to get the marriage visa for the UK and had just jumped through all the hoops to get a second passport to use to travel to Chile because my main one wouldn't be back in time because of the weird application window, and I wasn't about to gently caress around with waiting at some dumbass DPS office to get my poo poo renewed because I was too busy for that and so I picked the online, no-visit renewal option even though that one wouldn't get me a Real ID compliant one and that I'd need to go in to do that at some point regardless, but I didn't really care because that was future me's problem and I always fly with my passport even when doing domestic just in case. And then they sent me the Real ID version anyway.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People working as waiters at the secret restaurants underneath the White House?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm all for dunking on Wayne LaPierre, but I think the weirder revelation from that snippet is that his wife is just as psychotic. Who gets that stoked about cutting off a dead elephant's tail?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Murgos posted:

Lots of national parks and museums and monuments have cafes and restaurants on their premises that are run by the federal government.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

it should be legal for someone to hunt you if you hunt an elephant

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm all for dunking on Wayne LaPierre, but I think the weirder revelation from that snippet is that his wife is just as psychotic. Who gets that stoked about cutting off a dead elephant's tail?

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 27, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Please spoiler and warn for animal dismemberment

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Owlspiracy posted:

it should be legal for someone to hunt you if you hunt an elephant

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlspiracy posted:

it should be legal for an elephant to hunt you if you hunt an elephant

Ftfy

I would settle for a rhino/ Lion/ Tiger law like that as well

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Murgos posted:

FMguru posted:

Lots of national parks and museums and monuments have cafes and restaurants on their premises that are run by the federal government.

i actually worked at a state park that had one of these and the bartenders were not allowed to accept tips as that was legally bribery although that was for the state government and they did have a historic preservation fund jar that was located exactly where the tip jar in a normal bar would be.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Imagine being enough of a loving disgusting person to go kill an elephant.

Like, Jesus Christ, for gently caress's sake.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
As long as we are getting in the weeds with ID standards, it seems like as good a time as any to talk about everyone's OTHER favorite niche topic, postal banking. How feasible do people think it would be to two-birds-one-stone things so that everyone can get a postal banking account for free and also get their postal banking ID, which we could then force states to accept as part of general voting reform?

(I'm not actually very knowledgeable about either topic, but it seems like probably one of the best places for overlap, since the noted problems with the state-level DMV/BMV are completely avoided by the federal-level post office, and they already have all the tools to do this in many cases because of the procedure for getting passports)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can they face any consequences for going to kill an Elephant. Like they are endangered are they not?