Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFw5Y466aw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
People that don't like Dark Souls 2 are just like people who go out of their way to say they don't like cats. They're probably sex weirdos and racist.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I always liked playing the big beefyboy builds in Dark Souls 1 and 2, and you couldn't really make a brick shithouse in 3 that was as satisfying as the first two games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pennsylvanian posted:

I always liked playing the big beefyboy builds in Dark Souls 1 and 2, and you couldn't really make a brick shithouse in 3 that was as satisfying as the first two games.

Well the devs probably learned that "GiantDad" was something that shouldn't be allowed to exist anymore. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like all three Dark Souls games.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Well the devs probably learned that "GiantDad" was something that shouldn't be allowed to exist anymore. :v:

Every time I replay DS1 I eventually just give up on whatever build I'm making and gravitate towards Black Iron/Havel's with a different weapon.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

lol Woolie’s getting a little miffed that his moderate tendencies are getting called out by DE.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Good!
e: There are too many DE playthroughs for me to possibly watch, it’s overwhelming

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At the end of the day, the message DS2 leaves you with is that no matter what you do with your position, sooner or later someone's going to come along and get the ball rolling again, even if it means everything turns to poo poo as a result. And that's the plot, too.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dabir posted:

At the end of the day, the message DS2 leaves you with is that no matter what you do with your position, sooner or later someone's going to come along and get the ball rolling again, even if it means everything turns to poo poo as a result. And that's the plot, too.

friend over here couldn't handle the rat pack and bell bros... smh...

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Clip-On Fedora posted:

lol Woolie’s getting a little miffed that his moderate tendencies are getting called out by DE.

Link or timecode? I would love to see that

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

theCalamity posted:

Link or timecode? I would love to see that

https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentMoralBobaSMOrc-iPubLE1RZdr021nk

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 28, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pennsylvanian posted:

Every time I replay DS1 I eventually just give up on whatever build I'm making and gravitate towards Black Iron/Havel's with a different weapon.

Same, especially when I reach Four Kings, because having a good amount of poise absolutely trivializes that fight.

As for which one is best, any of the 3 have a solid case, just depending on how much weight you give stuff like plot, gameplay mechanics, atmosphere etc. I've come to terms with my favourite always just being "whichever one I've played most recently".

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Oh that's perfect. I've seen pictures of that convo before but it's nice seeing Woolie get told that. Also, who the gently caress taught Woolie about nazbols?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Disco Elysium is legit an LP I'm going back to the stream for at parts because Reggie's faces in particular in reaction to some of the dialogue are just amazing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I am dead, this has slayed me

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man i didnt expect to here a reference to the ebaumsworld song in this podcast.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yardbomb posted:

SotFS rules.

sotfs is the best souls game.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

To play in the circus, as a clown

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

alright, I did forget I said that, fair

and I stand by it

You're entitled to your short term amnesia. :v:

Reaverbot posted:

To play in the circus, as a clown

I actually liked the less connected world giving it a bit more of a surreal feeling and powerstancing was fun, so was the pvp.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

You're entitled to your short term amnesia. :v:

I actually liked the less connected world giving it a bit more of a surreal feeling and powerstancing was fun, so was the pvp.

I don’t hate ds2 but almost everything good the game does is undermined at least to some degree by its failings. Powerstancing is really cool for example but ds2 had a ton of really boring easy bosses and generic mobs aren’t super fun to fight so I don’t get much enjoyment out of it. The weird dreamlike atmosphere gets dinged by the super linear level design that tries to extend itself by putting ridiculous amounts of enemies in choke points. There were a bunch of really neat covenant ideas, but all of the territorial covenants were basically broken in the original version of DS2

I’ve slowly come to realize that I play souls games mainly because I enjoy exploration and fighting bosses and ds2 is definitely the weakest of the the four games in that category so it’s never going to interface with me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the people who say DS2 are the best are always the worst most stupid posters on this website, like clockwork

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't think territorial covenants ever really work for the average player. I'm including forestbros and the two or three really unimaginative ones from DS3 in that too. I wouldn't be able to explain my opinion very well except that the DS3 ones are especially bad for forcing you to stick to a narrow level range if you ever want to meet anyone. The swamp one is the worst, at least with the church one there's going to be people just coming out of a boss fight who haven't lost their ember yet.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

DS2 is alright and power stancing is rad but the game has long stretches of mediocrity and while DS3 nostalgia baits a lot it has the best combat and bosses in the series by a mile.

action game combat is better the faster it gets

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I would spitshine the floors at Bluepoint for free if they ever decided to do a proper remake of DS2. Imagine what the Dragon Aerie would look like.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
world of warcraft?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Woolie's DE run seems pretty great from all the clips, I should probably start watching it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scary ghost dog posted:

the people who say DS2 are the best are always the worst most stupid posters on this website, like clockwork

I didn't realize you were such a DS2 fan. Welcome, brother.

Reaverbot posted:

I don’t hate ds2 but almost everything good the game does is undermined at least to some degree by its failings. Powerstancing is really cool for example but ds2 had a ton of really boring easy bosses and generic mobs aren’t super fun to fight so I don’t get much enjoyment out of it. The weird dreamlike atmosphere gets dinged by the super linear level design that tries to extend itself by putting ridiculous amounts of enemies in choke points. There were a bunch of really neat covenant ideas, but all of the territorial covenants were basically broken in the original version of DS2

I’ve slowly come to realize that I play souls games mainly because I enjoy exploration and fighting bosses and ds2 is definitely the weakest of the the four games in that category so it’s never going to interface with me

I'm not that big a souls fan to begin with, but I liked stuff in DS2 like slower healing meaning you had to be more on the ball with how you executed a fight, instead of it being at most once to learn the basic gimmicks and once to clear the fight.

DS1 had instant blocking which if you could do also made PvP incredibly one sided, though I'm also not sure if DS2 had any tricks like that.

Bloodborne is better than any of the souls games imo, though I don't like how it ditches the victorian aesthetic for a more played our cthulhu one for it's later bosses.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 28, 2021

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Clock tower covenant was some good fun in ds2 when I bought the game on release. Smashing people with a big club and lightning repeating crossbow compared to the mess of dark magic on the lava bridge pvp area.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I replayed sotfs in january and the bell bros were still active which is pretty great

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrast posted:

I replayed sotfs in january and the bell bros were still active which is pretty great

You can't keep a good man down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That sonic and something awful joke from pat was super good

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Good lord Souls fans are never at a loss for words

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Roobanguy posted:

man i didnt expect to here a reference to the ebaumsworld song in this podcast.

Seeing lowtax portrayed in anything approaching a positive light is weird.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Also I keep looking for Sonic inflation in the archives and all I find is deviantart thread posts :v:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Watching Woolie completely dissociate during the XIV Nier raid stream was painful. I didn't much care for the story overall but its themes are quintessentially Yoko Taro yet Woolie refuses to even attempt to engage with the Dwarves' storyline.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vanderdeath posted:

Watching Woolie completely dissociate during the XIV Nier raid stream was painful. I didn't much care for the story overall but its themes are quintessentially Yoko Taro yet Woolie refuses to even attempt to engage with the Dwarves' storyline.

This is a problem a lot of people have with that storyline. I guess it only counts as Yoko Taro if there are characters you recognize onscreen who cares about anything else???

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I loved the Dwarves as a race big time going into the Nier stuff so getting more Dwarf content was a huge plus for the whole raid series for me, so I was also very disappointed but not surprised woolie didn't care :sigh:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1388244234801754114

Next podcast is gonna be good. (For those who don't know, Woolie threw a fit when the first two things got discussed on the Podcast years ago but apparently doesn't think the third counts as spoilers seeing as he read them aloud on last night's stream).

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That argument only happened iirc because Woolie and Liam literally forgot Spiderman already appeared in the Civil War Trailer. And Woolie, who was built on anti-vax church fundamentals, doubled down on it.