Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd go for option 1. Just try and trade one of them, whomever you get a better deal for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Go with Option 3, also looks like it might be a good idea to hold onto J-Rod for now :stare:

No sense trading an all-star while the Mariners are on this run, but there are going to have to be some tough decisions to be made as soon as this offseason.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 25, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, it's the Down East Wood Ducks. Take a drink. Why are we seeing a Low-A team on the season stats?

Goddamn, Out of the Park is kinda creepy. We're all the way in 2024 and both of our draft picks are still real guys.

Anyhow, Option 3.

We're still #1, and we're gonna ride that out until someone takes it from us. Trading for value is always good, but is any value going to be worth potentially giving up a world series?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
poor guy got demoted. VERY demoted

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

3. Stand Pat Can't do a proper Win-It-All-And-Blow-It-Up if we don't win it all first.

Plus of course World Series Winner is gonna drive up Trammell's price at the end of the season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 Playoffs
109-53, .673. 1st Place, AL West

League News

In a thing that seems very likely to happen in real life, Aaron Judge hits .214 with 239 Ks for the Mets, but still hits 36 dingers.

Japanese superstar Seiya Suzuki comes over to the big leagues and puts up a 7.1 WAR season for the Tigers.

Bo Jackson hits...57 doubles? alright.

Cody Bellinger has the season of a lifetime.

Raimfer Salinas emerges as the next great Yankee outfielder.

Dodgers are once again the best out of the NL.

Team News

Sam Hliboki slots in as the #18 overall prospect and dominates both AA and AAA. He's definitely ready for the big leagues; we'll call him up as a September lad.

Josh Naylor destroys his ankle and is out for most of the rest of the year. Lou goes to a platoon of Josh Lowe and Austin Shenton, a bad-glove 3B who put in many years of minor-league ball. He earned his shot - he OPSed 950 in AAA this year.

Bennie and Bobbie and J-Rod vie for MVP consideration. By mid-August, they're 1-2-3 in the AL in WAR, and basically trading back and forth day-to-day on who is tops.

A kid named Juan Galindo emerges from absolutely nowhere (our international complex) to become the #18 overall prospect. He's a 3B who projects as a decent glove and superb OBP guy, with 30 dinger potential. He's only 17 though, so we've a long time to wait for this one.

We lose our closer Darwinzon Hernandez to a forearm. Some rest might do him good - he's been mediocre this season. Hopefully he'll be ready for the playoffs.

On callup day we ring Hliboki and a kid named Mario Zabala (2.5/3.0) who has worked his way up from the VERY bottom...an 11th round draft pick who did nothing but hit at every level of the minors while showing a killer outfield glove. He looks potentially like our 4th OF of the future; nice to get him a cup of coffee this early.

Darwinzon's forearm first heals quicker than expected, then he suffers a setback. He and Naylor barely make it back for the playoffs.

We slow down quite a bit in September, especially our top hitters.

J-Rod leads the AL in dingers, an amazing achievement in the T.

We await the winner of Yankees/Astros in the ALDS.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 26, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We're getting out in the trash can.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 ALDS: Mariners vs Yankees

They'd battled back from a shock 2-0 deficit. Those division series have surprisingly little room for error -- you have a bad couple of games, and you're done...no matter how dominant your regular season might've been. Just ask the Mariners.

The Yankees were a veteran team. Most of their starters were on the north side of 30. Most of their key players had double-digit years of big-league service. They'd won the World Series the year before. They'd paced themselves in the regular season, knowing that making the playoffs was all that mattered. They also knew how Yankees of previous generations had owned the Mariners in the playoffs. A Yankee dynasty was built on it.

The echoes around the stadium started early in the series. An 8th-inning implosion from Darwinzon Hernandez in Game 1 started it. A sense of unease sat throughout the T, and even in the Seattle clubhouse. Of what were they frightened? It might happen again.

Game 2 was worse. Another 8th inning run allowed. Two outs to get a man home from third. Two strikeouts. Down 2-0 in the series.

The Mariners came out for Game 3 on a mission. They'd put up 10 runs by the end of the 3rd inning. The Yankees had been here before, though. They knew this wasn't over. They eyed Will Vest as a juicy target. In the span of a few minutes, they'd hung 6 runs on him. The game was tied. The Bronx was as loud as it had ever been. The Mariners looked defeated, though the game was still tied. And up came Josh Naylor.

Miguel Romero tried to power a fastball by him on a 3-1 count. Miguel Romero failed. Naylor's home run was just barely deep enough to make it out, but it did. And it was enough -- the Mariners survived what had looked to be yet another playoff collapse.

The curse wouldn't go quietly, however. It still had one more round left in it.

A couple of solo dingers had the Mariners up 2-0 in Game 5. Darwinzon Hernandez was on the mound again for the 9th. He'd had a rough series. He looked like he didn't want to be there. And he was facing the heart of the Yankee order.

Jose Ramirez leads off with a double. Raimfer Salinas strikes out.

Giancarlo Stanton singles. Ramirez to third.

Andujar flies out. Ramirez stays put.

Castellanos gets drilled. Stanton to second. Bases loaded. Two outs. DJ LeMahieu at the bat.

Down in the count 2-0. Four pitches fouled off.

Frozen rope line drive to center. It drops in and rolls deep to center. It looks like it is headed for the gap.

Ramirez scores. Castellanos should score easily from second to tie the game.

Kyle Lewis says not today.

His throw was so hard, and so accurate, Castellanos didn't even bother sliding.

ALDS Game 5 highlights

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 26, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 ALCS: Mariners vs Red Sox

Game 5 Highlights

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

This is wrongly linking to a game from last season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Average Lettuce posted:

This is wrongly linking to a game from last season.

Should be fixed now!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bewbies posted:

Should be fixed now!

Great, I was thinking to myself "Come on, not again!" ahah

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
yessssss

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our opponent in the series is the Chicago Cubs. People are mad about the Cubs. They only made the playoffs because the NL Central is so terrible. They only won 82 games, and gave up more runs than they allowed. They beat a better Mets and Braves team to make it this far, while the 91 win Padres fell in the Wild Card game, and the 109 win Dodgers were swept out of the DS.

None of the Cubs starters had an ERA under 4; they basically rode great seasons from Xander Bogaerts and Brennen Davis all season long. They were second in the league in dingers and OPS, but somehow only 8th in runs scored? I dunno.

We were by far the better team all season long, but they've been riding a hot streak through the playoffs....

2024 World Series: Seattle Mariners vs Chicago Cubs

Game 3 Highlights

The first two innings of this series, it looked like we had no business being there. After that, it was all M's.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gently caress YEAH

What the CHRIST happened to Hernandez in that series? Dude turned into a pumpkin or something.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, now we need to slash costs. I, personally, don't think we should be spending any more than $26m a year in base salary for the big league roster. :colbert:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2024-2025

WE GOT IT DONE. VICTORY PARADE

This is what came up when I googled "Mariners Victory Parade." I think it is an Australian soccer team:

Team News

Benny and Bobbie both win more gold gloves.

Julio Rodriguez wins a silver slugger.

Lou Marson wins skipper of the year, again.

Wacky Jack finishes 2nd in Cy Young voting, behind Giolito.

J-Rod finishes second in MVP voting behind...Kyle Tucker.

We didn't really have any decisions to make in arbitration, all were easy "yes." Alex Bregman walks after a fine season and WS win.

Yearly Priorities

From where I sit, we can either keep the band together for one more go-around, or re-tool a bit and try to end-around our inevitable decline. We'll be losing practically our entire bullpen, our DH, and an elite SP after next season. Season after that, we'll be losing our superstar left fielder and catcher.

The great news is that we won't have to shed any salary this year, thanks mostly to our extremely profitable season. We likely won't see much more of an increase in our revenue after this though -- we've pretty much maxxed the market out for baseball.

Finances

Roster Moves

2B or 3B
First, we need to fill an infield hole left by Bregman. Bobby Bats can play 2B or 3B just fine -- his best position is probably 3B, and this despite having two consecutive gold gloves at second. So, we have some flexibility.

Dylan Moore is still around; he's a quality glove and meh bat, but he's been here forever and is a known quantity. We also have a kid in AAA named Drew Bowser (2.5/3.5, #86 overall) who could easily switch to 2B with a plus glove, and could potentially OPS above 800 with a little development.

Our other options are dumpster diving to try and find a passable guy elsewhere in the league for low-cost, trade for a blue-chipper, which we actually have some assets to do, or sign a free agent, which we'd be looking at $10m+ over 5-6 years to sign someone like Jorge Polanco or Eugenio Suarez.

We have a small amount of cash (about $17m) available for extensions.

Some ballpark estimates for possible extension contracts for our core guys:

- Taylor Trammell: 8 years, $25-30m AAV
- Keibert Ruiz: 6 years, $15-18m AAV
- J-Rod: 10 years, $25-30m AAV
- Justus Sheffield: 6 years, $14-17m AAV
- Darwinzon Hernandez: 4 years, $7-9m AAV -- despite his loving LOL World Series performance
- Jack Leiter: 10 years, $22-25m AAV
- Logan Gilbert: 6 years, $13-15m AAV
- Andres Munoz: 5 years, $7-9m AAV
- Josh Naylor: 3 years, $9-11m AAV
- Alex Kirilloff: 8 years, $16-18m AAV

You can see what these guys are making now, and how much budget room we have, and how much we could save by trading someone. Bottom line: we can maybe squeeze out a couple of long-term extensions. Others, we should seriously consider trading away some of our assets to reset for the future.

Trades

There's just a ton of possibilities here. We need to figure out who -- if anyone -- we want to deal, and what to target in return.

World Series hero Taylor Trammell and Justus Sheffield are both prime candidates. Sheffield is in his last year of team control, and Trammell is making a fortune though he has one more year of TC after this. They've both earned their big arbitration salaries -- they're great loving players. Still, we have loads of young starting pitching ready to step in, and Josh Lowe looks more than capable of playing everyday LF at a high level.

Darwinzon Hernandez is another possibility. Was his bad postseason a sign of a weak stomach or failing arm? He wasn't that dominant in the regular season either, but Pete believes in him very strongly as one of the best lefty relievers in baseball.

Tyler Mahle is likely here to stay, unless we seriously sweeten a deal with a prospect. He's still a solid 3-4 starter.

Andres Munoz has been arguably the best RP in baseball the last 4 years and he's only 25, but in his last year of TC. He'll have a healthy market, but man is he good, and consistent.

Pierce Johnson was not particularly good for us and has no real trade value, though we could get someone to take on his salary by trading him away for nothing.

Finally, we have a potential :siren:BLOCKBUSTER TRADE DEAL:siren:

The Cubs were tantalizingly close to another WS win last year, and intend to go all-in this season. Their starting pitching sucked. So, they're sniffing around Jack Leiter. They're dangling Reginald Preciado in order to bring him over.

We all know Leiter. At age 24, he's put together two of the best seasons in recent memory by a starting pitcher. He's durable, a fan favorite, and still in pre-arbitration. In other words, he's one of the most valuable trade chips in all of baseball. The Cubs will not budge about him being a part of this trade. Moreover, the Cubbies want Alfredo Quintero (0.5/3.0, #85 overall), a great-looking COF prospect we just paid $5m bonus money to --thrown in as a kicker. Why would we even remotely consider letting Wacky Jack go, especially with a solid young prospect alongside?

Preciado is that good. I'll let Pete explain:

Kid, look. I've been doing this for over a century. In that time, I've seen exactly five hitters that I'd call "great:" Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Lou Gehrig, and Josh Gibson. This kid has the potential to join that echelon. In addition, unlike all those guys (except Gibson) he looks like a slight plus defensively: not at SS (he doesn't have the range), but at 3B.

He's a switch hitter, with power from both sides. I think he's a 320/400/600 guy right now, at age 21 (he destroyed AA as a 20 year old last year). He could easily peg out at 350/450/700....think 50 dingers and 200 hits...which should be in the very near future. He's durable and a dream to work with. Basically, he's the best prospect I've seen since Alex Rodriguez...and he could be even better than that.

I know what they want us to give up, and I don't know if it is worth it. You've got to decide that for yourself.

VOTE

2B/3B Hole
1) Fill it internally: let Bowser and Moore battle it out.
2) Dumpster dive
3) Blue chipper trade (if we go with this, Pete will give us options)
4) Sign a free agent

Extensions

Here we are, again. We have $17 million in excess budget, plus any additional cash we free up from trading someone. Extension candidates include but are not limited to:

- Taylor Trammell
- Keibert Ruiz
- J-Rod
- Justus Sheffield
- Darwinzon Hernandez
- Jack Leiter
- Logan Gilbert
- Andres Munoz
- Josh Naylor
- Alex Kirilloff

Trades

The list is...pretty similar to the extensions list. You can see how many years of TC we have left with each of these guys. At the end of their contracts, they walk for the price of a compensation pick (ie, not much). We can either ride them to the end of their TC years, or trade them for new assets. If you want to trade someone, say TRADE (this guy) and Pete will give us some options or make a deal he likes on our behalf.

and, of course

Reginald Preciado. Trade of the decade.

1. DO IT
2. gently caress NO

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 27, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do the Trade

that also answers our 3B problem

Shop Trammel and Sheffield

But if Sheffield will actually sign for 14-17 million AAV he might be worth just keeping around TBQH

I don't really favor one guy over the others w/r/t extensions really.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ride for one more year, extend Sheffield. No trade.

After this year tho we should blow it all up for the sake of entertainment and the chase being better than the catch and all that.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
2B/3B: 1. Let King Koopa play

Shop Trammel, Sheffield, and Hernandez

Do not make the trade

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I don't care on others but

MAKE THAT TRADE

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Yeah, ride things for one more year. Might be too soon to completely blow up a core that just won a championship. A couple of those extensions seem affordable too.

I wouldn't trade Leiter right now. However, while I don't want to blow up the core, I think there could be a couple of improvements made. I would consider shopping Hernandez after that World Series.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ride things out, trade D. Hernandez, DO NOT MAKE THE BIG TRADE.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Cubs were...surprised, when we turned them down. They came back with a counter-offer of Bobby Bats Witt Jr and Juan Galindo, which, from where I sit does not look any better to me from a value perspective. Bats is a known quantity, but that kid Galindo is looking like a potential superstar and definitely one to watch for.

Following our last meeting Pete did some work on a couple of potential deals:

Taylor Trammell generated some interest. Far and away the best offer was from the Astros, for a RHP named Cristian Javier (4.0/4.5) He's already on his free agent deal: 11/15.4/15.4 the next three years. He's been good -- not great -- for the Astros, but he could be absolutely perfect for us. He has some of the filthiest stuff in the game -- four plus-plus pitches highlighted by what is arguably baseball's best slider. His issue is he throws too many meatballs and gives up too many dingers, which is exacerbated a bit playing in Houston. In the T, though -- with our defense behind him -- he could be elite.

Problem is, if we take that Javier deal, that leaves us with too many starting pitchers...if there is such a thing. 7, by my count. If we take on Javier, it makes a lot of sense to pull the trigger on a Justus Sheffield trade. The D-backs are very interested and have a surplus of young 2Bs. The problem there is they have no money -- we'd have to eat half of Sheffield's contract this season. But, they're offering a kid named Luis Garcia (3.0/3.5) as the bulk of the deal. He looks like a 290/350/450 kind of guy with a solid 2B glove, and he's in his first arb year this year. They're also willing to throw in Shep Hancock (2.5/4.0), a good looking reliever who is also a surprisingly solid 3B and power bat.

We also have a number of teams offering elite young relievers in exchange for JUSTICE, which would help offset the upcoming destruction of our bullpen by the coward service time.

What do you all think?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 28, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you're all cowards

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Yea, but cowards with a chance to win another championship!

Hold the fort!

..though if things do go sideways somehow, keep an open mind for trading. Kick the tough decision can down the road for now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Do the Trade

that also answers our 3B problem

Shop Trammel and Sheffield

But if Sheffield will actually sign for 14-17 million AAV he might be worth just keeping around TBQH

I don't really favor one guy over the others w/r/t extensions really.

The kid is much cheaper than Leiter. Do the trade.

Also, sell off Sheffield and Trammel for pre-arb guys. Every penny the players get is one less towards my megayacht!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Leiter isn't a Mariner for life (or at least through age 32 or so) I will be mighty upset.

I think we can get away with losing Trammell if we have to, but I think keeping the band together one more year and then rebuilding would be the way to go. Keep the fan interest high so when the rebuild DOES come we can justify the ticket prices.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2025

After Justus Sheffield's contract demands rapidly spiral into the unreasonable, he ends negotiations and we trade him for RHP Mason Thompson (3.0/3.5). Thompson is typical of our pitchers -- a bit of a tweener with three plus pitches and zany movement. He's also been the Padres' best bullpen arm the last two years, and he's pre-arb. A Nice Trade.

Pierce Johnson goes off for some guy named Blake Weiman, who likely won't ever play for us, but it saves us around $5m in salary.

After deciding to hitch our wagon to Wacky Jack Leiter, we pay the man: 8 years, $176 million. We pay quite a bit extra for two team options in the last two years, and include both a NTC and substantial bonuses for MVP, Cy Young, or All-Start selections -- all of whom will likely be paid more than once during his contract. He's a Mariner now and forever, or at least through his age 32 season.

We also get an extension done for Julio Rodriguez: 7 years, $181 million. This is a lot of money for us to spend on one player, but he's...pretty good. He may be trade bait down the line, but for now, he's in town until he's 30.

Finally, we manage to squeeze Andres Munoz into a 4 year, $32 million deal with a TO in the last year. Him sticking around will help stabilize our upcoming bullpen rebuild.

No one makes the Hall of Fame. Again. Candidates include Ichiro, Beltre, Beltran, and Mauer. The gently caress?

The Marlins announce a major change:

Scouts are drooling over Juan Galindo in winter leagues. He has a ways to go yet, but is flashing elite contact and power and solid 3B defense at age 18. He moves into the top 5 on the prospect list.

We lose Kyle Lewis for 6 weeks in ST; all other injuries are to non-roster players. Unfortunately, one of our decent pitching prospects will miss a year with a blown-up elbow.

Drew "King Koopa" Bowser makes a smooth transition to 2B and looks great there through ST. His bat lags behind a bit, but he won't be a liability.

Randall Grichuk comes through our minor league system and hangs on as a taxi squad player. Good for him.

Mario Zabala makes the big club with Lewis' injury. He'll be given a chance to excel in center.

Opening Day Roster

1. Benny Rodriguez - SS
2. Taylor Trammell - LF
3. Alex Kirilloff - 1B
4. Julio Rodriguez - RF
5. Josh Naylor - DH
6. Bobby Witt Jr. - 3B
7. Keibert Ruiz - C
8. Drew Bowser - 2B
9. Mario Zabala - CF

Logan Tanner - C
Dylan Moore - everywhere
Josh Lowe - OF

1. Jack Leiter
2. Emerson Hancock
3. Sam Hliboki
4. Tyler Mahle
5. Logan Gilbert

Nick Mears - CL
Darwinzon Hernandez - L
Andres Munoz
Danny Arteaga
Burl Carraway - L
Will Vest
Brett De Geus
Sam Delaplane
Joey Gerber

We're predicted to win 115 games, and our farm system rose to #5 overall.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
An update to our Legends of Baseball series:

Bo Jackson turned into a blazing fast doubles machine who put up a pretty solid rookie campaign with the Rangers. His legendary power seems to have given way to a leaner, speed-based game, but he'll be a useful pro for a while. Amusingly, he went from being an epic strikeout machine to being pretty tough to K. He still never walks though.

Michael Jordan is starting in the lower minor leagues. He was drafted as kind of a middling two-way prospect, but his obsessive personality appears to be driving him to improve quite a bit.

...seems about right.

Dan Quisenberry had a smooth trip through the minors and is took his 87 mph sinker to the big leagues late last year to mixed results. He's starting this year in AA, as the Reds seem to want to make him a starter for some reason. He hasn't quite mastered his legendary control as yet, but if he does, he'll be a solid big leaguer.

For this season, I'd like to put in a Negro League legend. Choose who you'd like to see!

VOTE

1. Oscar Charleston. Contemporaries compared him to Willie Mays; one of the finest 5-tool outfielders to ever play the game...and often forgotten by history, most unfortunately.

2. Josh Gibson. Pure power behind the plate - a massive bat and a solid defensive catcher.

3. Satchel Paige. Maybe the best pitcher to ever pitch a pitch, be it as his younger-fireballing self, or as an old-timer who threw about 30 different pitches a hundred different ways.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

After deciding to hitch our wagon to Wacky Jack Leiter, we pay the man: 8 years, $176 million. We pay quite a bit extra for two team options in the last two years, and include both a NTC and substantial bonuses for MVP, Cy Young, or All-Start selections -- all of whom will likely be paid more than once during his contract. He's a Mariner now and forever, or at least through his age 32 season.

We also get an extension done for Julio Rodriguez: 7 years, $181 million. This is a lot of money for us to spend on one player, but he's...pretty good. He may be trade bait down the line, but for now, he's in town until he's 30.

Finally, we manage to squeeze Andres Munoz into a 4 year, $32 million deal with a TO in the last year. Him sticking around will help stabilize our upcoming bullpen rebuild.

For $389m I could have bought MBS's superyacht! Stop giving my money to the plebs who toil at my firm!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

For $389m I could have bought MBS's superyacht! Stop giving my money to the plebs who toil at my firm!

Dude's cleared close to $200 mil since we took over!

That said he may choose to cash out his chips next offseason....

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gibson Gibson GIBSON GIIIIIBSOOOOOON

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let Josh Gibson, the true home run king, annihilate modern baseballs.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

How dare you make me choose between Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

People know who Gibson and Paige are let's see Charleston

also I nominate Sadaharu Oh as a historical player

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Paige

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Josh Gibson

I am also down to see Sadaharu Oh in a couple of seasons. That's a good idea!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2025 All-Star Break
July 15th, 2025
67-24, .736, 1st Place, AL West

League News

Cubs, Mets, and Dodgers dominate their respective divisions.

Veteran Jose Ramirez has the best start of his great career.

Justus Sheffield leads the league in ERA....in San Diego.

Ian Anderson finally reaches his considerable potential. We were offered him in a trade years ago but declined due to his injury history.

Wander Franco finally climbs the mountain and starts hitting like a superstar.

The A's fall over themselves to draft Josh Gibson 1st overall. He's a high school catcher out of Buena Vista, Georgia, who played his senior season of high school ball at the elite Georgia Premier Academy -- versus the best high school baseball players in the southeast. Against them, he slashed 585/654/1366 over 21 games. He may just be the guy to revive a flagging Oakland franchise...who knows? He's still incredibly raw, but Pete thinks he could hit 20 dingers in an MLB season as he stands.

Team News

We're racked by injuries all spring. Kyle Lewis, Andres Munoz, J-Rod, King Koopa, Emerson Hancock, and Josh Naylor all spend significant time on the IL in the spring.

Bobby Bats and Trammell have cold starts -- Kirilloff and the tragically unappreciated Keibert Ruiz fill the hole left by injuries and cold bats.

We call up Randall Grichuk to fill in for a couple games...then he refuses demotion. So we have to cut him. $1.1 million well-spent. That probably makes him the best-paid pro-rata non-injured player in baseball this year. rear end in a top hat.

The pitching staff is firing on all cylinders. Logan Gilbert in particular has a career-best half season.

Mario Zabala gets the call up after J-Rod and Lewis go down, but gets hurt himself before he can really show what he's got.

Parker Wright also gets the call: he's a former 6th round pick who developed a sensational slider over 3 minor league seasons. Plus, he's from Mizzou. Anyway, he looks like an elite potential spot starter/bullpen arm for the future.

We spend our international bonus money on Ricky Velez (0.5/3.0), a 17 year old pitcher out of Venezuela. Ricky is on the short/small side at 5'10" and 165 pounds, but he's already hitting 94 on the gun and has shown four plus pitches. If he can stay healthy -- a big if -- he looks like a solid mid-rotation guy a few years down the line, with the potential to be a star. Plus, he's almost exactly Pedro's size.

A combination of graduations and an incredible spring in rookie ball lands Juan Galindo atop the midseason prospects list. He has a way to go with both the bat and the glove, but this kid is looking like something pretty special at 3B.

With our 1st pick, we take Nolan Schubart, an all-bat 1B out of the University of Michigan. He's not the kind of guy who gets your pulse pounding, but he was one of the better college hitters last season, is borderline ML-ready right now, and fills an upcoming need pending Kirilloff's and Naylor's departures. He was also comically cheap: $45k bonus.

We double down on this all-bat approach by taking Phil Voss in the 2nd. He's basically the same thing with more contact and less power.

In the 3rd, we're very lucky to select Chris Keating, a reliever who basically throws only a fastball, and a fastball with a different grip.

From where I sit, there isn't really too much for us to do. We could potentially trade away Josh Naylor, but he'll only bring back a B prospect and we could still use his bat as we assess those two new draft picks.

Otherwise, we're pretty much out of money, and have no holes to fill, so....let's see where the second half takes us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

67-24. Jesus H. Christ.