Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Jedit posted:

Anyone know anything about Cthulhu: Death May Die?

I really like it. The lack of an "enemy phase" really helps speed up play - basically enemies only move when you pass them or (rarely) from the "bad things happen" card you flip once per turn. Levelling up feels great since it gives you more dice and crazy broken abilities as you get closer to death. It's pretty luck-driven but there's definite space to make and execute cool plans so long as you're willing to roll with the nonsense when it does happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

Have any Canadian backers seen their copy of it yet? I feel like lately we're far behind on fulfillment between this and Pax Viking etc. unless they aren't even really out yet and I'm just being greedy.

May for US, so I assume the same or later for CA.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Gonna throw this out in case anyone has missed it!

My Father's Work is a horror-themed worker placement game coming to Kickstarter tomorrow from Renegade Games (my employer). You play 3 generations of Mad Scientists working to complete various experiments and projects. The components are crazy, and the game is played with a companion app that will give a variety of paths and endings for each scenario. I haven't gotten to play the game yet but everything I've seen so far has me excited!

Man Vs Meeple did a playthrough last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkUArMqj0A

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renegadegamestudios/my-fathers-work

Here's the BGG page with more info:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/328866/my-fathers-work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Oath is very intimidating

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHo64CXIUOS5lQ9083AlW0O_4PWnbJ2w/view?usp=sharing

hopefully this helps, should be final version of the rules vid. (don't post elsewhere yet please).

also the condensed rules ref I made:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/220208/oath-rules-reference

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 28, 2021

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

pbpancho posted:

Gonna throw this out in case anyone has missed it!

My Father's Work is a horror-themed worker placement game coming to Kickstarter tomorrow from Renegade Games (my employer). You play 3 generations of Mad Scientists working to complete various experiments and projects. The components are crazy, and the game is played with a companion app that will give a variety of paths and endings for each scenario. I haven't gotten to play the game yet but everything I've seen so far has me excited!

Man Vs Meeple did a playthrough last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkUArMqj0A

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renegadegamestudios/my-fathers-work

Here's the BGG page with more info:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/328866/my-fathers-work

Watching the video, but this very much looks like something I'd enjoy.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aus-SzLUJdE0u7vWXqqJCtJeR4N4YgDA/view?usp=sharing

hopefully this helps, should be final version of the rules vid. (don't post elsewhere yet please).

also the condensed rules ref I made:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/220208/oath-rules-reference

Good video.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Picked up the Space Base expansion since we've been playing quite a bit of it recently:

Turned out to be addictive enough that we played 5 or so games in a row to get through all the mini-legacy content and unlock the Mystery Boxes in one evening. That group don't normally get into legacy stuff so it was a nice change.

Also got a game of Genotype in since it finally showed up from KS for the hosts - interesting but I felt like you needed to spend far too much time staring at everyone else's available plant cards to make decisions, which are small / not very distinguishable text on small cards. The difference between checking whether someone else had a tt vs tT card up or not is easily 20 points during the game.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
In hardback is the romance / mystery genre combo the best?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

pbpancho posted:

My Father's Work

The kickstarter for this just went live and I'm confused by the pricing. It looks like I can pledge $100 for one copy for $200 for four copies, but why would I not do #2 and re-sell the other copies? I don't see anything saying I need tax id to be considered a "retailer" or anything.

EDIT:

reply to a comment on the kickstarter posted:

Yes, four copies in the Retailer pledge. Note that only VERIFIED brick and mortar retailers will be able to complete the pledge manager for the Retailer pledge level. If you are not a retailer with a physical store space, do not pledge at the retailer level. We will not ship games to you if you are not able to verify your retailer status

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 27, 2021

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

In hardback is the romance / mystery genre combo the best?

I prefer Romance/Horror but Mystery is also very good and can work even without the Romance thinning when you don't get it. Adventure is more for dabbling if the moment/offer is right.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
The reason I thought mystery is because being able to reveal an adjacent wild that was a 4/5 star next to a double adjacent romance card seemed very good.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jedit posted:

Anyone know anything about Cthulhu: Death May Die?

It's pretty fun to play, and the pace picks up very nicely as you go more and more insane and get increasingly crazy powers. Though it has to because the monsters get more and more powerful and you advance through the various stages of the Elder One. I like how you can mix and match the Elder One with the 6 different Episodes so you kinda get 12 different scenarios which you will also replay each one a few times anyway. If you add on the white expansion box and the other 2 Elder Ones, that's a lot of possible combinations!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spikes32 posted:

The reason I thought mystery is because being able to reveal an adjacent wild that was a 4/5 star next to a double adjacent romance card seemed very good.

Horror gets you remover which makes drawing extra cards much less risky and thus gets you the 'longest word' bonuses. I choose based on what is initially available in the market but if forced to choose would probably go for horror because of this and whatever the yellow deck is called because of the sheer amounts of points you get from it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
What's the new hotness best game for six?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Scape Goat is cool reverse social deduction. All players are trying to frame one other player but that player gets a wrong clue to frame someone else, but the key is the game naturally makes every person feel like the framed player. If anyone gets spooked or the scapegoat figures out its them, they can run to the cops and the scapegoat wins. If the rest of the players can communicate by exchanging clues and info they can frame the scapegoat first. Plays 3-6 and is supposedly very good even at 3.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Cosmic Frog plays 6. Can't tell if it's actually good or just a giant meme though. Maybe someone can weigh in.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's a good easy to learn game for quick play at small gatherings? I like decrypto so far, but coup is getting old.

Is the space team game any good?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jarvisi posted:

What's a good easy to learn game for quick play at small gatherings? I like decrypto so far, but coup is getting old.

Is the space team game any good?
I would recommend the Space Team game, it's very silly but good fun. The basis of it is that you all have a hand of tools and a deck of defects in front of you, and you need specific tools to deal with the defects but can only pass tools directly to your left and right. There are also some silly actions hidden in the defect decks, like having everyone say your name before you can continue playing, or forcing people to pull you back into the spaceship. I recommend it, although I also recommend having a houserule where the piece you need to win the game is at the bottom of everyone's deck, instead of shuffled randomly.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

!Klams posted:

Medici's latest release (with Vincent Dutrait art) will not get reprinted, as per Grail Games' announcement.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

dishwasherlove posted:

Cosmic Frog plays 6. Can't tell if it's actually good or just a giant meme though. Maybe someone can weigh in.

I bought it because of Space Biff's review so I hope it's actually good :(

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

New Leder email says Oath won’t hit NA until June. That’s a bummer, I was really hoping to play it at our first game night in mid-May.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Prairie Bus posted:

New Leder email says Oath won’t hit NA until June. That’s a bummer, I was really hoping to play it at our first game night in mid-May.

I think you might have misread it a bit. The email I got says they will start processing orders on May 7th and expect all fulfillment to be complete by mid-June; sounds to me like it's possible it will come earlier than June although mid-May might be optimistic. It's only retail backers that won't get it at all until June because they are doing the individual backers first. Unless you meant you were planning to pick it up at retail.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

!Klams posted:

Sidereal Confluence would be my choice.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mayveena posted:

Sidereal Confluence would be my choice.

Ooooooooooohhhh, I forgot that they did the lovely reprint / updated version, didn't they? Ah, this is a great shout. The whole 'STONKS' memes thing, as terrible as it is, has been somewhat popular among my friends lately, just coz some of them have been dabbling in bitcoin, so it would probably be an easier sell this year than previously when I've been scared to try it on them.

Nice! Thanks!

How hard is it to teach do you know?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

How hard is it to teach do you know?

the basics take about 15 minutes and each race has a handful of specific rules/quirks that each player should know about.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thanks for reminding me to grab the remade version of sidereal confluence!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the basics take about 15 minutes and each race has a handful of specific rules/quirks that each player should know about.

Oh wow, ok, that's much less than I was expecting, that's great!

From the reviews I've seen, it sounds like it can actually be quite chill, in as much as, being nice to each other is a totally valid strategy, and you don't HAVE to go all Gordon Gekko on each other? Would that be fair to say?

My group, as I've mentioned, is terminally scared of a lot of things, mostly any kind of pressure. I think if the only pressure is each other though, I think they'll be ok, because they'll just take deep breaths together.

What do you reckon, if they bounced off Space Alert and Captain Sonar making GBS threads their pants and almost crying, could they deal with this? I'm leaning more towards yes, but it would be tough to drop another 40 quid on a game that I play once, LOVE, and then never get to play again because they're all off having a cup of tea and a lie down.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I can confirm Sidereal isn't hard to learn. It's a game where the depths of the strategy can be hard to wrap your head around but there's not a huge amount of complexity to the actual rules. I think the big thing to make sure people know is that the game tells you the relative valuable of all the commodities in the game and it helps people to have a baseline to set up trades.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Don't ignore the difficulties listed on the races, they're pretty accurate. For me Sidcon is best taught by going through the basic mechanics and then just playing it. Get people to focus on their own race and doing their thing no sense worry about what the hell the Fadrean are doing until you work out what your Space Wasps are doing.

quote:

don't HAVE to go all Gordon Gekko on each other? Would that be fair to say?

I would say this is an actively bad strategy, you need friends in Sidcon.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

My group, as I've mentioned, is terminally scared of a lot of things, mostly any kind of pressure. I think if the only pressure is each other though, I think they'll be ok, because they'll just take deep breaths together.

the trading phase of each round is supposed to be timed but you also end it when all but one player signals they're done trading.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

I've played on TTS and in person. Game good. Fun, fast (as in very little AP), and very thematic. The only downside IMO is that setup is a bit onerous.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the trading phase of each round is supposed to be timed but you also end it when all but one player signals they're done trading.

Aramoro posted:

Don't ignore the difficulties listed on the races, they're pretty accurate. For me Sidcon is best taught by going through the basic mechanics and then just playing it. Get people to focus on their own race and doing their thing no sense worry about what the hell the Fadrean are doing until you work out what your Space Wasps are doing.

I would say this is an actively bad strategy, you need friends in Sidcon.

Alright, awesome, yeah you've talked me into it, this is gonna rule

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

!Klams posted:

Oh wow, ok, that's much less than I was expecting, that's great!

From the reviews I've seen, it sounds like it can actually be quite chill, in as much as, being nice to each other is a totally valid strategy, and you don't HAVE to go all Gordon Gekko on each other? Would that be fair to say?

What do you reckon, if they bounced off Space Alert and Captain Sonar making GBS threads their pants and almost crying, could they deal with this? I'm leaning more towards yes, but it would be tough to drop another 40 quid on a game that I play once, LOVE, and then never get to play again because they're all off having a cup of tea and a lie down.

It sounds like it may not be a great fit to be honest. Sidereal is great, but it's a high pressure frenzy.

I love it, but it delights in providing you with information overload and then forcing you to quickly make decisions because spending the time making one perfectly equitable trade means everyone else got to make 3 non-equitable but profitable trades while you were comparing balance sheets.

And one of my friends cannot loving handle this. Dude loves his euro cube/VP optimizing, and watching cubes fly around the table faster than he can process kills him. He can handle Captain Sonar and Space Alert with ease, but Sidereal breaks his brain. Another friend finds it overwhelming but tolerable and my two shouty friends think it's great.

If your group has bounced off of Sonar of all things, I'd pass on Sidereal. Sonar is maybe a 2/10 for stress. Sidereal is a 9/10.

I love it and gave it away because we couldn't play it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's a good COIN game to get to start exploring the space? I've played half a game of a Distant Plain a while ago and thought it was nice, but didn't like the half game of Falling Sky I played maybe 9 months ago. (Both half games as they were done online and each time we had people fall away between sessions so never finished).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Carillon posted:

What's a good COIN game to get to start exploring the space? I've played half a game of a Distant Plain a while ago and thought it was nice, but didn't like the half game of Falling Sky I played maybe 9 months ago. (Both half games as they were done online and each time we had people fall away between sessions so never finished).

Most people say Cuba Libre. What I would honestly tell you though is that there are now people making COIN-like games that are far better designed than COIN. I would much rather play Pax Pamir 2E than any COIN game. They aren't exactly the same, but they scratch the same itch for me. Hell, I don't even like Root, but I'd rather play that than a COIN game.

Imo newer games have been able to extract the essence of the COIN games and leave behind their rather fiddly and convoluted designs.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
A Distant Plain is still a great time. Cuba Libre is a good intro COIN. Fire in the Lake is amazing but pretty massive.

COIN is at its best for people wanting a big, long consim.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Colonial Twilight was my first and only COIN and it felt accessible to someone with no experience in the series.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think Colonial Twilight is probably the best one to get into the series, since it's only two player but still plays well, and is about a conflict well suited to the system.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Still think that if you've got 6 and are excited about SidCon that you should try and play some Civ/MC/WE because the whole experience is just god-tier and the trading is some of the most fun you'll have in gaming. The time commitment is much larger of course but you can always call it after X hours and in fact, until people are comfortable with the mechanics, I would recommend just doing a half game or so anyway as a learning opportunity.

I enjoyed my game of SidCon at 4 but when I can I plan on getting a much larger group of people together to try it and really see how it plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can you get WE anywhere anymore?