Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What effects does moving your capital actually have? As Russia, for example, if I moved my capital behind the Urals but not my trading capital would anything actually change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Sri.Theo posted:

What effects does moving your capital actually have? As Russia, for example, if I moved my capital behind the Urals but not my trading capital would anything actually change?

1. Might change where you can or can't have trade companies.
2. Capital in colonial region: you don't get colonial nations, and can attack other people's CNs with impunity.
3. Distance to capital affects state maintenance cost?
4. Also, diplomat travel times.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This doesnt seem like its worth the effort to me

Might be worth it for some smaller countries like Irish ones, or Brittany. Take away the big boys' colonies in easy mode, get rich af.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This doesnt seem like its worth the effort to me
Not the point. The point is to do it because you can. :eng101:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Poil posted:

Not the point. The point is to do it because you can. :eng101:

At least half the fun in Paradox games is in finding silly ways to run history way the gently caress off the rails.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Being able to look at the declare war screen even if all your diplomats are busy is so nice, glad it only took PDX 10 years to implement it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Firebatgyro posted:

Being able to look at the declare war screen even if all your diplomats are busy is so nice, glad it only took PDX 10 years to implement it.

i’m keenly waiting for the dlc update in another 10 years that’ll let you look at the peace screen offer

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Bummer. Was looking forward to this one.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Leviathan is now in the rarely-seen “Very Negative” Steam review category which I think starts when your positive review ratio hits the teens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the steam forums the Majapahit disaster is included in the free patch, but not the ability to deal with it.
And apparently custom nations are now a bit broken as the rulers get the original province culture and religion instead of the same as the nation.

I haven't seen this much activity there for a while. Approximately 100% of the posts are complaints which is pretty high since it's usually only at 70-80%.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 27, 2021

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

this seems p bad though, which is kinda funny after last diary's statement of intent.

It's looking more like preemptive damage control now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The first hotfix is coming out next week. Was hoping for a "oops, we forgot the day 1 patch" quick fix. Oh well.

For people comparing this to Imperator, I don't think you fully understand how busted everything is. Nothing feels balanced, nothing feels WAD, simply using the new features in the most basic way possible feels like an exploit somehow, on top of the numerous actual exploits because of how unpolished this release is. Feels like every single new addition is bugged in some way. Even things they were supposed to have fixed like attached armies not arriving on the same day hasn't been fixed.

I agree with the person who said this is their roughest release in the last decade. This feels like a return to the 2D days, or maybe even rougher. If this is a window into the future of EU4, then maybe it'd be better to move on to 5 right away. I would welcome an EU5 with the level of (relative) polish that CK3 had on release.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 27, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The first hotfix is coming out next week. Was hoping for a "oops, we forgot the day 1 patch" quick fix. Oh well.

next week? then this wasn't a dev version they accidentally pushed instead of the real one? They really intended to release a dlc in this state?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Davincie posted:

next week? then this wasn't a dev version they accidentally pushed instead of the real one? They really intended to release a dlc in this state?

yes

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Glad I waited before purchasing this :v:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

If you want the one faith achievement now is the time

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another fun bug that doesn't seem mentioned here: The "Relative Strength" favors modifier seems to be inverted. I'm getting 0.5 favors a month on Austria as Florence right now and they're getting 0.08 favors a month on me. Totally breaks the whole favor system if you can ally with a larger country than yourself. Get them to give you multiple loans worth of money every two years, or years' worth of manpower for you. Or call them into every war you ever fight. Also, Curry Favors works two ways it seems? Austria is getting favors on me from my currying on them. Not sure if that's WAD.

To put this in perspective, in 1.30 you would've gotten 0.08 favors a month max from allying Austria as a minor. You now get over 6 times as much with more benefits being available from having favors. 8 times as much if you curry at the same time. The balance on the favor system is nonexistent.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 27, 2021

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Glad I'm busy with other games so I can wait for everything to be fixed.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

trapped mouse posted:

As fun as playing a completely broken game may be, I think I may wait until the inevitable patch or 4 that tones everything down. Everything I've seen about the new patch/DLC has been absurd even by EU4 standards. Now I like the idea of many of the new features, but their implementation...is just silly.

Quoting this to make fun my own naïveté regarding what would make this patch "completely broken". I stand horrendously corrected.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Davincie posted:

old school paradox is back baby awoo (wolf howl)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

?

???

Not sure if this is new, or the typical wonky AI behavior for CtA acceptance. (for the record, Milan has zero qualms going to war with far less manpower and troops)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol I bought the DLC early, I never do that.

Looks like I can have some fun before they patch stuff though.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Hadn't seen the "Overwhelmingly Negative" review status in awhile...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beamed posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started a game as Onondaga to try and form Iroquois and it's annoying to have to reinvite folks to my Federation all the time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So they made a new formula for calculating reform progress. See if you can spot what's wrong with it!

You get more reform progress the more autonomy you have now. It's supposed to be the opposite. The amount of reform progress you get goes up by increasingly absurd amounts the closer you get to 100% average autonomy, up to 83 monthly progress at 100%. I think maybe they wanted a plus there instead of a minus. That would've capped the penalty at 50% reform progress for 100% autonomy, rather than 0% from before.

It's like there's a new thing broken wherever you look this patch.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing how busted this patch is is the most interesting EU4's been in years. Good job Paradox

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

?

???

Not sure if this is new, or the typical wonky AI behavior for CtA acceptance. (for the record, Milan has zero qualms going to war with far less manpower and troops)

it's percent I assume, and emperor austria has a pretty high cap so milan is near 100% and austria is at like 50% or something

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Anno posted:

Leviathan is now in the rarely-seen “Very Negative” Steam review category which I think starts when your positive review ratio hits the teens.

"Overwhemingly negative" at this point. I put a positive review in just to stir poo poo up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

So they made a new formula for calculating reform progress. See if you can spot what's wrong with it!

It's like there's a new thing broken wherever you look this patch.

Holy poo poo, I had to actually boot the game up just to confirm what my maths was telling me. This is nuts, it really does feel like old paradox back again, except with the comic ineptitude of an indie developer replaced with the soul sucking indifference of a corporate machine.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Reveilled posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to actually boot the game up just to confirm what my maths was telling me. This is nuts, it really does feel like old paradox back again, except with the comic ineptitude of an indie developer replaced with the soul sucking indifference of a corporate machine.

That's what gets me about modern Paradox's constant mis-steps; they're not the tiny lil startup running the forums under Johan's desk anymore, they have huge amounts of money and staff. They just shrug and don't give a poo poo so long as the sales keep coming in. And since they're literally the only company in this space..

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The top three tags for Leviathan are currently "Early Access, Psychological Horror and Memes."

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Just reading about this disaster is giving me SotS2 release flashbacks.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Good thing I stopped the update and forced the rollback before continuing my Ottoman game.

So, uh, I hope the DLCs on sale soon!

e: it's probably time for a new thread title

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 28, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Seems a little weak on the diplomacy side

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Why are there no competitors in the GSG market? Seems popular enough that someone would have tried.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

guidoanselmi posted:

e: it's probably time for a new thread title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan -

Beamed posted:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan - It's like Stellaris, but on release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Why are there no competitors in the GSG market? Seems popular enough that someone would have tried.

I'd argue that Total War series is getting there. Sure, it will always be a game where you'e supposed to get your fun from leading cavalry into enemy flanks, zooming in and seeing infantry line smashed. But Three Kingdoms has surprisingly deep strategic layer with diplomacy, espionage and very unique factions. Total War Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires also plays like GSG: unlike previous games in the series it's not a game of a single victor conquerin the world, every faction has unique starting position, playstyle and goals.

And it's not like GSG is a unique genre. It shares a lot of DNA with 4X and empire builder games. We have Old World now which has a lot of CK influence in it.

Also old school Paradox is back which means Victoria 3 confirmed.