Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

How Wonderful! posted:

Now Klaus Kinski in pauldrons? I'm buying a bus ticket. I'm starting over in a new town.

At least call the dcf before you leave, cause that dude was a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

BC's getting a pretty sweet variant

July solicits

Nothing at all concerning about that new mutants cover, no siree bob

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Someone's jealous of not getting a Hellfire Gala invite.

drat now I want a BC Krakoa Heist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

fuckin' mikhail rasputin of all people managed to pull off a krakoa heist. i'd rather see her rob somewhere with actual security.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
To be fair he pulled off the heist with sentient matroyshka. That's a total Ocean's 11 move.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want Felicia to keep doing big crazy heists on everyone, forever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This has to end in a Felicia vs. Gambit thief-off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

He did recently literally steal a woman's soul.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

TwoPair posted:

I commented on Twitter how much I enjoyed the addition to the T'ieves Guild lore in the latest Black Cat issue and Mr. MacKay made a very controversial statement indeed*, so I'm looking forward to any kind of New Orleans vs New York T'ieves Guild showdown if that ever comes to pass, with Felicia running circles around them all.

Jed Mackay on Twitter posted:

New York > Candra's running dogs

*There are dozens of us who enjoy the T'ieves Guild! Dozens! (I do enjoy the NY Branch so far too, but I need to see more from them before they can challenge my favoured "running dogs" / morons.)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The whole guild structure is one of those things that is so peripheral in the marvel universe that it never seems to quite get nailed down. I did my "unified theory of the thieves guilds" back in Black Cat #7 to finally explain NY's schismatic status, which is now directly playing out in the current arc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do the New York thieves guild dress like ninjas, and have a hideout with a half pipe and arcade games?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so I'm pretty sure I can ID most of the characters on this Marvel Pride variant cover, but I'm blanking on two in the lower right (the blue-haired black female and the black-haired woman in the red dress and black jacket). anyone?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Blue hair is from the Kelly Thompson West Coast Avengers and is currently America's gf (hence why they're next to each other in matching poses). I forget her name or even codename. I think it's Alloy or something about how she has vibranium skin?

Also kinda hosed up that even on a variant cover they have Mystique holding her dead wife's mask instead of just having Destiny be there. Also, I feel like there's a couple of characters missing that could be there (Kate Pryde) and... I certainly feel like Vulpes, for instance, has been writing Cat as queer, but has it ever been made explicit?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Blue haired woman might be one of those new characters for the New Warriors book that I don't think ever got released.

They all have terrible names: Screentime, Snowflake, Safespace, B-Negative, and Trailblazer, but I don't know which is which.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Blue hair is from the Kelly Thompson West Coast Avengers and is currently America's gf (hence why they're next to each other in matching poses). I forget her name or even codename. I think it's Alloy or something about how she has vibranium skin?

Also kinda hosed up that even on a variant cover they have Mystique holding her dead wife's mask instead of just having Destiny be there.

Ooh I forgot about her, that was a book too good for this world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That one kid from Avengers Academy is also a blast from the past. That book was great (and the scene where he comes out to Julie Power is actually pretty good, but also doesn't really address him being a creeper to her earlier in the series, I don't feel like), but like.. has he been in anything since?

Dark hair and black jacket kinda looks like Jessica Jones maybe, but I don't think she's ever been portrayed as not straight?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder if Marvel would've released that New Warriors series if they hadn't had the Covid delay to quietly stretch into infinity. The immediate response was overwhelmingly negative, but without the cover of Covid would they have been willing to publicly say "whoops nevermind" or would they have just rolled it out and hoped the comic itself was inoffensive enough to fly under the radar for six issues before being quietly cancelled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

That one kid from Avengers Academy is also a blast from the past. That book was great (and the scene where he comes out to Julie Power is actually pretty good, but also doesn't really address him being a creeper to her earlier in the series, I don't feel like), but like.. has he been in anything since?

Dark hair and black jacket kinda looks like Jessica Jones maybe, but I don't think she's ever been portrayed as not straight?

Yeah, she's only been shown dating Scott Lang briefly then she's been exclusive with Luke Cage since then. Not that that completely rules out her being bisexual, but she's never shown any romantic or sexual interest in other women aside from thinking Emma Frost is hot, but I mean, that's Emma Frost.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nm im dumb and blind

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Kelly herself pan or bi? I feel like even when she wants to write straight women, she writes them at least a little queer. That run on Jessica Jones is pretty good though, albeit drives me nuts with how no-one can decide how the gently caress Kilgrave's powers work (Bendis himself hosed this up in the immediately prior run in a way that would've literally made the plot of Alias make no sense). The scene where Luke tells Danny that it doesn't matter if Dani is his or if she's biologically Kilgrave's via rape, she's his daughter and he'll love her no matter made me tear up. And the scene where he and Jessica talk about that possibility and it finally hits Luke how terrifying and triggering Kilgrave is for Jess is also a really sharp extension of Bendis' initial use of the character to tell that story of abuse and survival.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think Thompson has revealed a ton about her personal life, which is probably smart for a woman working in comics, especially one who frequently writes queer or queer adjacent characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I kinda like that Destiny is shown via mask. It's indicates the book is keeping up with current status quo and hints that this is an ongoing situation that people should be paying attention to.

...Wait, I just checked the picture twice, and where's Loki? They can't possibly have forgotten Loki, right? Am I going more blind?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaz-L posted:

Also kinda hosed up that even on a variant cover they have Mystique holding her dead wife's mask instead of just having Destiny be there. Also, I feel like there's a couple of characters missing that could be there (Kate Pryde) and... I certainly feel like Vulpes, for instance, has been writing Cat as queer, but has it ever been made explicit?
Felicia was getting pretty handy-holdsy with a woman in the flashback in that one issue, but she's also on that lineup. I can't spot out Kitty tho.

BrianWilly posted:

I kinda like that Destiny is shown via mask. It's indicates the book is keeping up with current status quo and hints that this is an ongoing situation that people should be paying attention to.

...Wait, I just checked the picture twice, and where's Loki? They can't possibly have forgotten Loki, right? Am I going more blind?
Any of them could be Loki :tinfoil:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I meant it makes sense for Felicia to be LGBTQ+ but I wasn't sure it had ever been made explicit. Although I'm starting to feel a little hesitant or wary of the notion that any female character that's very sexually open/active is queer as it feels like it dances up against the line of some not-great stereotypes.

It's also definitely not meant to be exhaustive given that Charlene from Hulk is there and she's 100% categorically not a superhero, but like, Northstar's hubby ain't there.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 28, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I meant it makes sense for Felicia to be LGBTQ+ but I wasn't sure it had ever been made explicit. Although I'm starting to feel a little hesitant or wary of the notion that any female character that's very sexually open/active is queer as it feels like it dances up against the line of some not-great stereotypes.

It's also definitely not meant to be exhaustive given that Charlene from Hulk is there and she's 100% categorically not a superhero, but like, Northstar's hubby ain't there.

Like she didn't kiss Tamara here on the mouth or look at the camera and say "I also am sexually attracted to women" but this seems pretty unambiguous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, yep, that's def a thing I'd forgotten. :)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

In v1 #10, v2 #3 and v2 #5 we've been putting it out there that Felicia and Tamara Blake were in a relationship when they were younger, so while I guess you could say it hasn't been explicitly stated, it's there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

In v1 #10, v2 #3 and v2 #5 we've been putting it out there that Felicia and Tamara Blake were in a relationship when they were younger, so while I guess you could say it hasn't been explicitly stated, it's there.

This is about 20% down to that Madripoor issue being like a year ago, and 80% me being dumb. That page posted is definitely every bit as explicit as a dialogue balloon of like "As you know, I am a bisexual woman who dated Tamara in the past" but way better. (I'd forgotten who she was by this last issue so because Fox is the one who mentioned her, i figured she was a contemporary of his and was like an aunt or something to Felicia :shobon:)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

This is about 20% down to that Madripoor issue being like a year ago, and 80% me being dumb. That page posted is definitely every bit as explicit as a dialogue balloon of like "As you know, I am a bisexual woman who dated Tamara in the past" but way better. (I'd forgotten who she was by this last issue so because Fox is the one who mentioned her, i figured she was a contemporary of his and was like an aunt or something to Felicia :shobon:)
It's cool, it's been a year and Black Cat tends to go down smooth, easy and delightfully, so we don't end up arguing about it on the Internet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I think it was even Kevin Smith of all people who floated the idea Felicia was bi during that dreadful The Evil That Men Do miniseries when she ruminates something like she hasn't had a lot of guys - or girls - in her life of late.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is more controversial that she dated that gross spider fella than women.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is more controversial that she dated that gross spider fella than women.

Yeah yeah, JJJ, we know

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
the S.P.I.D.E.Y. Manifesto

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I think it was even Kevin Smith of all people who floated the idea Felicia was bi during that dreadful The Evil That Men Do miniseries when she ruminates something like she hasn't had a lot of guys - or girls - in her life of late.

Yeah, that was what we were following up on. It was a throwaway line that was never followed through, but still meant something to people, so that's what we did.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been going through the CMRO reading list for Marvel and I'm up to '82. In the last few years the storytelling and type of story has really changed. I'm not sure I'd say more 'mature' but they are dealing with much different subject matter. I've just gotten past the death of Elektra and to see Matt just go off the deep end to the point where he digs up her corpse because he can't believe she's dead was pretty amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bessantj posted:

I've been going through the CMRO reading list for Marvel and I'm up to '82. In the last few years the storytelling and type of story has really changed. I'm not sure I'd say more 'mature' but they are dealing with much different subject matter. I've just gotten past the death of Elektra and to see Matt just go off the deep end to the point where he digs up her corpse because he can't believe she's dead was pretty amazing.

It’s better when the corpse are made into puppets

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Marvels is the kind of book I've been hoping for as long as I can remember. I thought the concept was too close to an anthology book to be viable in the modern market and it might be. But having a book with no set roster where literally any Marvel character could pop up at any time for just one page or for a whole storyline is a great idea. Well it's a great idea provided you can get someone to write it that can actually write pretty much everyone well. Fortunately they've got one of the few people I'd trust to do that well in Kurt Busiek. I don't know if it'll last but it's going to be one of the books I look forward to the most as long as it does.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I cannot believe Ace is back. Also I have no clue who the guy on the last page was but I bet when I find out I'll be like ahhhhh should have known.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 29, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did The Marvels start this week? Didn’t see any at my local shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I cannot believe Ace is back. Also I have no clue who the guy on the last page was but I bet when I find out I'll be like ahhhhh should have known.

When they said anyone can appear I guess they meant it. That's a hell of a pull.

The last page guy is a new guy.