Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goatface posted:

We can't be spending good posts on the stuff we've already seen. That would be inefficient as a giant version of Wonder Woman's jet that can be defeated by a single 4th gen fighter equipped with magical missile replicators.

The good news is, we're rapidly coming to the end of the old content, so by this time next week we should officially be in brand new territory for the first time in 2 years. There's no new video today because I spent most of last night editing and exporting and most of all day today uploading something... different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

something... different.

killzone asmr bringing you the war crimes tingles

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

killzone asmr bringing you the war crimes tingles

Everything old is... still old, but at least it looks better this time around.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
A couple videos ago you mentioned thinking about LPing Project: Wingman when you were done with this game. I definitely agree that game has some awful checkpointing. It's one of a few places where it really looks like they went 'This is how Ace Combat Zero was so this is how we'll do it!" without understanding why Zero was like that, and later games weren't.

Also you are probably aware, but if you do LP the game you need to do the entire thing in twin-seaters, because unlike in Ace Combat, your WSO is an actual character with her own lines that you will only ever hear if you have a plane with two seats.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Prez Everywhere Mod is basically mandatory for Project Wingman.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll admit I've considered redoing the HAWK LPs. Mostly because my soundtrack choices doesn't really work, and it's subtitled, and some of my commentary is honestly... pretty bad.
Not to mention the Halo ones considering 3 is available for PC now, but I feel others have that handled nowadays.

but then you'd have to replay HAWX

so long as you keep the Crenshaw Counter (tm) though...

Gothsheep posted:

I definitely agree that game has some awful checkpointing.

Wingman doesn't have any checkpointing at all :v:

my guess is like many things it got cut for time as opposed to a deliberate misunderstanding of Zero. Considering the number of other almost-complete features that didn't make it (e.g. a near-finished A-10) this seems plausible as yet another one.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 31, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

but then you'd have to replay HAWX

so long as you keep the Crenshaw Counter (tm) though...

Well obviously I'd do that. Wouldn't be the same without it.

Although the bigger issue is that I can't reinstall the first game since I don't have a DVD drive anymore and it's actually not on uplay.

And the downside I'd have to suffer through the game's actual soundtrack, which was not great. On both accounts.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Psion posted:

my guess is like many things it got cut for time as opposed to a deliberate misunderstanding of Zero. Considering the number of other almost-complete features that didn't make it (e.g. a near-finished A-10) this seems plausible as yet another one.

I guess if that's the case, I have to give them a bit of respect for knowing when it's time to cut and ship, rather than falling into the usual Kickstarter hole of constant feature creep.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Prez Everywhere Mod is basically mandatory for Project Wingman.
100% true

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Alright, enough with the detours, let's get back at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhdtN6i-LhA

Mission 3B: Captive City – October 31st, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll give you a 6/10 for that manic laughter.

Also there's a lot of bleeping in this video I realize. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a good goose story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll give you a 6/10 for that manic laughter.

Also there's a lot of bleeping in this video I realize. :v:

Upon further review in the 2 months since I record that commentary I decided that I did not 1) actually want people to know what I think I can fit inside my bum, and 2) get sued.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sounds wise.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I like the back and forth X's mission tree gives its story. The conflicts in (most of?) the other Ace Combat games feel really one-sided, here it feels a lot more like the baddies are putting up a fight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I like the back and forth X's mission tree gives its story. The conflicts in (most of?) the other Ace Combat games feel really one-sided, here it feels a lot more like the baddies are putting up a fight.

Also the freedom you're given in not just picking missions but in your freedom to straight up ignore them too. It will hurt you in the long run, no doubt, but you can play the game basically any way you'd like to.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That too! It's been fifteen years and it feels downright criminal none of the other Ace Combats have used this idea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmpG5e56KY

Mission 4B – False Target, November 3rd, 2020

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Am I the only one who found out about the named Aces, for the first time, by following these LP's?

Ziggydoo
Dec 23, 2019

stryth posted:

Am I the only one who found out about the named Aces, for the first time, by following these LP's?

Nope, I found about them first from these LPs as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQm3fDVTuMA

Mission 5B – Pinned Down, November 3rd, 2020

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Quick question about the ongoing redo: Will the LP Archives version have both the original videos or just those redone?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HereticMIND posted:

Quick question about the ongoing redo: Will the LP Archives version have both the original videos or just those redone?

Seems Crow is amending each video's main post with an additional link that says (REDO) next to the original, and adding the new co-commentator to the blurb underneath. Which is really cool! This is a fun way to do a do-over! Gives me lots of ideas :p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HereticMIND posted:

CJacobs posted:

Seems Crow is amending each video's main post with an additional link that says (REDO) next to the original, and adding the new co-commentator to the blurb underneath. Which is really cool! This is a fun way to do a do-over! Gives me lots of ideas :p

This is correct. Clicking through the links under each new video will take you back to the original post for that mission and you will find the link to the original video there and the Redo version, and any new commentators as denoted, which is actually just Blastinus, because once we get past Stand Off In The Skies, everyone is going to functionally be a new commentator.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, this also means I'm going to have to start writing actual update posts for this thing again :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLLY0-wgfU

Mission 6B – Ice Bound, November 8th, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This is the Naiad, we have returned!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flesnolk posted:

That too! It's been fifteen years and it feels downright criminal none of the other Ace Combats have used this idea.

probably because it rarely works out in practice as well as in theory. Branching campaign structure usually means a lot of developer time wasted as players don't see the branches and it adds a ton of overhead to creating it. that's been true since the 90s at least and the value proposition is only getting worse as dev costs go up :shrug:

sure, you get the rare game like Alpha Protocol, but it's definitely the exception

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

probably because it rarely works out in practice as well as in theory. Branching campaign structure usually means a lot of developer time wasted as players don't see the branches and it adds a ton of overhead to creating it. that's been true since the 90s at least and the value proposition is only getting worse as dev costs go up :shrug:

sure, you get the rare game like Alpha Protocol, but it's definitely the exception

It's also used in X as a means of stretching incredibly limited resources. By having two, sometimes three missions that you can use the same map for means less original material you have to create and code for, which gets you a game that has only 15 missions* yet has 30 possible variants you can play through.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Standoff in the Skies I

Mission 7A: Standoff in the Skies I – November 12th, 2020 (Redo)

Overview: The Aurelian forces launch an attack on Santa Elva to liberate the city from Leasath control. Everything has been leading up to this moment, and if the city can be retaken, then all of Southern Aurelia will be secured once again. As the Davis tank unit rolls into the city from the ground, Gryphus Squadron must confront and finally destroy the damaged Gleipnir.

Guest Commentator: I am joined once again for this last mission of the “good” timeline of Part 1 by the yin to my LP yang, CJacobs. In the time since the LP went on hiatus, CJacobs has LP'd The Surge, with special guests from developer Deck 13 on commentary, and Hideo Kojima's bonknaners love letter to Norman Reedus's naked body, Death Stranding.

SANTA ELVA

Located just off the eastern shore of southern Aurelia at the mouth of the Lenal River, Santa Elva is the second most populated city in Aurelian territory second only to the capital of Griswall. The city is also the capital of Lenal County.

Along with Port Patterson and Challwa, Santa Elva is one of Aurelia’s primary port cities, servicing shipping traffic from western Osea, Sapin, Nordlands, Sotoa, and the Usean continent across the ocean. Port Patterson, meanwhile served shipping transit from eastern Osea, Yuktobania, Verusa, and Emmeria. Goods passing through Santa Elva would then be shipped up the Lenal River to distribution centers in the Aurelian heartland.

Beyond that, there is not much else remarkable about Santa Elva as a city beyond its strategic geographic importance due its close proximity to Griswall. There is actually a real life town in Peru called Santa Elva in the Lambayeque of the country, but there’s not really much else available on the town itself on English websites to give any details.

In Spanish, Elva is a variant and diminutive of Elvira, which means “truth”, “white”, and “beautiful”. So roughly Santa Elva equates out to “The Saint of Truth” or “The Saint of Beauty”.

TRUTH WILL OUT

With the Gleipnir down, this mission marks the functional end of Part 1 of the game, and with it comes another story dump cutscene from our buddy Albert Genette.

Genette’s promise to poke around at the loose ends of Navarro’s financial paper trail has paid off in spades. Through his research, he was able to uncover vast amounts of previously sealed financial information and government documents that have revealed the first layer of truth about Diego Navarro’s grand deception.

As it turns out, Navarro’s claims of exploitation by Aurelia were nothing but lies, and the truth is that Aurelia was and still is Leasath’s top contributor of financial, medical, and other humanitarian aid. Navarro and his command retinue have simply been funneling the financial aid from Aurelia, Osea, Yuktobania, Usea and Emmeria into the coffers of Leasath’s military, buying vast supplies of weapons and battlefield technologies from firms like North Osea Gründer Industries, MacMillian Heavy Industries and General Resource Ltd. He then used the ongoing financial and humanitarian crisis inside Leasath to paint his people’s hardships as the result of lies and exploitation from the wealthier nations of the world. And with the real facts of the matter being known to only a handful of people, all loyal to Navarro, the world was none the wiser.

And with the world still recovering from the chaos of the information network blackout caused by the Kessler syndrome catastrophe of September 2019, it’s easy to see how this information was able to be buried so effectively and how hard it is going to be to get the truth out, even for a famous reporter like Albert Genette.

This vast and fraudulent accumulation of wealth allowed Leasath to construct its two flying fortresses, the Gleipnir and its predecessor, the Gandr, each loaded with top of the line weapons and defensive technologies a supposedly impoverished nation like Leasath would have no means to even develop let alone deploy. To complicate matters even further, once Navarro assumed control over Leasath at the end of the civil war, he also took complete control over its arms sector, which he was heavily invested in before even the outbreak of the civil war. The assault on Aurelia is just one of a number of eventual pre-planned artificial conflicts concocted by Navarro and his cronies purely for the purposes of driving arms sales around the globe and increasing his already vast wealth exponentially.

As Genette and Gryphus 1 each come closer to unraveling Navarro’s deception in their own respective ways, each man now has a target on their backs as Leasath grows ever more desperate. But if the truth can be revealed, maybe this war can come to an end sooner than anyone thought. After all, who wants to put their life and career on the line for a selfish liar who’s only out to enrich himself… No, don’t answer that one.

GLEIPNIR

The Gleipnir is the centerpiece of the Leasath forces’ might in South Osea, and the currently most powerful weapon in Diego Gaspar Navarro’s arsenal, though other weapons are being hastily completed as the Aurelian forces retake more and more of their lost territory.

Developed covertly in the aftermath of the Leasath Civil War under the directive of General Diego Navarro, the Gleipnir is a multi-purpose heavy assault platform that is actually only one part of a two-pronged weapons platform. The second part of the weapons project, codenamed “Fenrir” was still in development at the time of the Gleipnir’s destruction over Santa Elva.

Captained by Leasath Air Force officer Frank Burlington, the Gleipnir was Leasath’s primary offensive weapon for the early days of the Leasath-Aurealia War. With its revolutionary stealth and optical camouflage systems, the Gleipnir could cruise into a combat zone virtually undetected, deploy its devastating SWBM ordinance on a target, and disappear again without a trace making it practical impossible to defend against.

The Gleipnir’s airframe made it remarkably maneuverable for a craft of its immense size. It could fly for prolonged periods in a 45°+ stall angle thanks to its powerful engines, and could even fly completely upside down for brief periods.

The craft was frequently the subject of propaganda speeches by Diego Navarro, touting it’s invincibility and the destructive force of its weaponry, turning it into a symbol of Leasath as a nation, not just its military might. Navarro was so proud of its accomplishments he even had artwork commissioned of the Gleipnir to hang in his office in both Gaiuss Tower and the presidential palace in Alendal. It was even a grim joke among Aurelian pilots and soldiers that the only way you could tell the Gleipnir was near by was by spotting the LAF chase planes trailing it with cameramen in their cockpits there to film it in action.

In addition to its conventional air-to-air and air to ground defensive ordience, the Gleipnir utilized two highly specialized and powerful weapons: the Shockwave Burst Missile, and the Shock Cannon.

SWBM

The Shockwave Burst Missile (SWBM) is a proprietary Leasath-engineered heavy weapon utilized primarily by the Gleipnir to catastrophic effect.

Unlike the weaponry derived from the old South Belka Munitions Factory’s Multi-Purpose Burst Missile (MPBM), the SWBM relies on more advanced technology to deliver its destructive payload. Each SWBM warhead is loaded with a compact cyclotron accelerator capable of creating highly charged and intentionally unstable particle energy. This meson particle fuel is vented from the missile shortly before impact and then ignited by the warhead to create a massive shockwave that tears apart anything unfortunate enough to be caught in its blast radius.

The shockwave is most powerful along its horizonal axis, thus making the SWBM ideal for air to air attacks, as air pressure differentials increase its effectiveness at higher altitudes while the explosion is less powerful at ground level. While the SWBM is intented as a long range weapon, capable of hitting targets hundreds of kilometers away if needed, the Gleipnir itself is able to survive close proximity detonations of the warhead in close combat situations thanks to its heavily reinforced airframe.

Additional details are currently fragmentary, but intelligence suggests a further scaled down version of the SWBM is currently being developed by the Leasath military-industrial complex for use with the mysterious “Fenrir” weapon.

SHOCK CANNON

Housed on the underside of the Gleipnir is a small-scale particle accelerator cyclotron ring capable of producing the same type of high energy particle charge as the ones on SWBM warheads, but more stable in nature.

The “cannon” part of the Shock Cannon’s name is actually non-indicitive of the weapon’s nature. The device operates by seeding the area over a target with highly explosive gas and then igniting the gas cloud with a directed energy charge of meson particles fired from the cyclotron disk. The meson particles then create a fuel-air explosion producing a downward-directed shockwave that then crushes and then rips apart anything unfortunate enough to be caught in the blast radius. As with the SWBM bursts, the Gleipnir is protected from the effects of its own weapon by both its altitude above from the shockwave’s origin and its reinforced airframe.

The Shock Cannon requires a prohibitive amount of energy to fire, however, so it is often used only as a last resort or as an overwhelming first strike on enemy forces. The cannon requires so much energy to charge and fire that the Gleipnir cannot maintain its optical camouflage system while the weapon is in use. This leaves a brief window of opportunity for attacking forces to locate and strike at the flying fortress while before it can re-engage its cloak. As a result of its infrequent usage (and the devastating results of its firing), its very existence was known only to the Gleipnir’s crew and the upper echelons of Leasath command.

Medal: Eye of the Storm
Awarded for: Completing Mission 7A or 7B in six minutes or less.
Description: Awarded for destroying the optically camouflaged airborne fortress Gleipnir.

FROST
  • Plane: MiG-29A Fulcrum
  • Mission 7A
  • Spawn conditions: Shoot down six aircraft in the first part of the mission, before destroying the Gleipnir's weapons. Spawn in the northeast.

★VEHICLE
  • Vehicle: Armored Personnel Carrier
  • Mission 7A
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns at the center of the map after the mission update and crosses the bridge across the Lenal river out of the city.
  • Reward Part: KEPS [Kinetic Energy Penetration Shell]

Tracks featured in Mission 7A:

DISC X

Some beauty shots of our dear departed Gleipnir from the game’s cutscene artwork:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 14, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ying yan :thunk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:byodood: PREPARE THE SHOCK CANNON...

WHADDAYA MEAN THE CHARGE TIME IS TWO YEARS?!?! :byodood:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Until I saw this, I thought the record for the craziest flying by a giant plane was a tie between the Arkbird & MotherGoose 1. Gleipneir puts them both to shame. I imagine it'll be several months to years before the river passage to the Aurelian heartlands is open again, there's probably gonna be flooding problems too till they clean that up.

Also, if Gleipneir is the rope that held back Fenrir in Norse myth, and you just killed it doesn't that mean you've unleashed Fenrir? And thus started Ragnarok? Food for thought.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stryth posted:

Also, if Gleipneir is the rope that held back Fenrir in Norse myth, and you just killed it doesn't that mean you've unleashed Fenrir? And thus started Ragnarok? Food for thought.

:ssh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

stryth posted:

[Faint echoes of 'that's the joke i was self conscious about it noooooooo' from beneath 20 feet of snow]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK65W5esZLk

Mission 7B – Standoff in the Skies II, November 12th, 2020

And with that, we are officially DONE with the redo content for Ace Combat X. From this point forward, everything is going to be brand new so we'll be back to regular updates from here on. This also means it's time once again for...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Situation Report #2

Tactical Briefing, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

Overview: The Gleipnir has been destroyed and Santa Elva is now free from Leasath control. Focus now shifts towards liberating Northern Aurelia, and the capital city of Griswall. Just as before, there are multiple routes available to reach the objective.

It's that time again. We're officially in NEW territory for the LP, finally, so that means the choice of where we go from here is now in your hands, dear goons. It's time to break your silence and dictate the course of the LP and the war for Aurelia.

So take a look at the tactical map here and watch the first situation report video from Crux linked up above to get a feel for where things stand before making your choice.

Keep in mind though that Ace Combat X features an active battlefield map. This means that if you choose to do certain missions, they may have unforeseen consequences, both negative and positive for how the rest of the game plays out.

The tactical options are infinite and your choice will set us the road to one of three possible versions of the finale in Griswall (there are a bunch of smaller variations to both missions but they’re only seen if you skip or gently caress up missions, which we’re not going to).

So, here is your first slate of choices:

• Mission 8A, Striking Point – Attack the Leasath forces massing for a possible retaliatory attack on Santa Elva
  • Mission 9A, Blitz – Infiltrate Sachana Air Base under the cover for night and wipe out the Scylla special forces unit before they can deploy elsewhere on the map

Please state your chosen mission, and, if you feel like it, a rationale for your choice if you want to win others over to your side. Voting will remain open until Monday at midnight PST, and the winning mission will be posted the following day, and you’ll just have to live with the consequences.

CHOOSE WISELY

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 4, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You know, the mentions of General Resource make me wonder if they'll ever try to make a game that bridges the timeline to AC3. Part of me wants to see how they'd handle it and how they'd tackle stuff like the rise of the corporations, but another part of me remembers how the star wars prequels went.

I say we secure our gains before trying to take out Scylla.

Also what's the deal with Crux? He always sounds so nervous and like he's walking on eggshells when he briefs you, specifically like he's an intern in his first week of the job and is uncomfortable relaying orders to someone who outranks him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

You know, the mentions of General Resource make me wonder if they'll ever try to make a game that bridges the timeline to AC3. Part of me wants to see how they'd handle it and how they'd tackle stuff like the rise of the corporations, but another part of me remembers how the star wars prequels went.

I say we secure our gains before trying to take out Scylla.

Also what's the deal with Crux? He always sounds so nervous and like he's walking on eggshells when he briefs you, specifically like he's an intern in his first week of the job and is uncomfortable relaying orders to someone who outranks him.

Well the good* news is that any game post-7, unless they're prequels, will be set in the timeframe covered by Electrosphere. And 7's endgame, without spoiling anything for those still waiting on the LP of it, just bashes you over the head in it's final act with "YOU'RE IN ELECTROSPHERE TERRITORY NOW MOTHERFUCKER!" so a hypothetical and by this point now almost assured Ace Combat 8 would probably have to take a stance on whether or not Electrosphere is canon or pull a soft reboot and retell Electrosphere from an actual post-2020 perspective.

We're still years away from the answer one way or another, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

So that's what happened to Ever Given.