Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think I prefer Automata over Replicant. Automata just goes so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should play Automata again. I remember it being an overall more polished experience, but not grabbing me quite like Replicant did.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the sidequests are what stings the most going back to Replicant. Automata did a nice job making them fairly worth doing as cool vignettes reflecting on the themes of the game or worldbuilding, in Replicant they kinda only serve to further beat on the misery drum

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I should play Automata again. I remember it being an overall more polished experience, but not grabbing me quite like Replicant did.

I’m replaying it right now. I still love it, one of my favourite games ever, but this time around I am amused by how much it repeats itself at the beginning with “wtf? this machine is doing a human thing! but it’s a machine!!” Obv I know it gets better and deeper later but if you only played the first few hours I guess I could see where the ‘existentialism 101’ complaints come from

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

automata also has more complex interdependent quests that are very time sensitive, and involve a ton of backtracking (how many times do you have to go deep into the factory, or joke quests to scan an entire desert?)

replicant's got an overall small map which makes travelling quick and you can listen to weiss complain which smoothes over 100%ing sidequests. sure it lacks the overt strong theming but it has a different charm to them

could also be the gameflow structure and how easy it is to access quests in each game. i didn't find any of replicants quests tedious at least

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
automata has fast travel

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I don’t remember any quest in Automata being grindy like what I’ve seen of Replicant so far. Except that one mandatory quest you get in the beginning that’s mandatory and give you bad direction cause it’s still Nier.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Lava posted:

I don’t remember any quest in Automata being grindy like what I’ve seen of Replicant so far. Except that one mandatory quest you get in the beginning that’s mandatory and give you bad direction cause it’s still Nier.

Yeah the Replicant quests are definitely worse. They involve way more grinding or traipsing all over the map than Automata does.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

automata also has more complex interdependent quests that are very time sensitive, and involve a ton of backtracking (how many times do you have to go deep into the factory, or joke quests to scan an entire desert?)

replicant's got an overall small map which makes travelling quick and you can listen to weiss complain which smoothes over 100%ing sidequests. sure it lacks the overt strong theming but it has a different charm to them

could also be the gameflow structure and how easy it is to access quests in each game. i didn't find any of replicants quests tedious at least
Automata's quests are a bit more fiddly because sometimes the point-of-no-return for them isn't clear at all - for example, when doing village sidequests in part 3, the point of no return is picking up a book from Anemone, even though that sounds like just another sidequest - but on the other hand, they're all pretty easy. Grinding quests frequently spawn in special monsters with guaranteed drops, for example.

Replicant's sidequests are much better about having emotional moments - ie: the lighthouse lady, the thieving kids, etc - but at the same time... sometimes the game goes "gently caress you, get 10 pieces of titanium to build a stove." Almost all of Replicant's quests are some degree of fetch quest.

That said, no quest in Replicant has ever made me as blindingly furious as the cheating bastard Speed-Star machine did, that fucker. So, I guess it evens out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Edmund Lava posted:

I don’t remember any quest in Automata being grindy like what I’ve seen of Replicant so far.

The race quests and robot parades say hello.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doublepost but: Replicant not having an HD remastered version of the intro movie linked in my avatar at the splash screen is a criminal crime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

Well, there's Reconnaissance Squad.

But yeah, most of Automata's sidequests are about doing something, not just grinding for items. And there's very few that don't have some kind of punchline, either as a joke or as an emotional moment, some with hidden payoff later. (Like the quest about the Type E who lost her memories.)

Parade and Speedstar are frustrating in different ways than Replicant quests. You only have to do them once if you're high enough level... but they're difficult to accomplish until you figure out a method.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So the PSN outage kicked me out of NieR and won't let me play it....ughhhh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I recall not caring very much about Automata’s world, since it was just kinda there and boiled down to “world is a gently caress 1027461949017 dead humans”. Automata is 100% about the core cast, everyone else is kinda lame.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NieR Occomata posted:

Doublepost but: Replicant not having an HD remastered version of the intro movie linked in my avatar at the splash screen is a criminal crime.

Sit on the title screen past the first attract reel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will say I can’t believe how much satisfaction I’m already getting out of Automata’s references to the original game that I never got before. It was definitely worth coming back to this while Replicant is fresh in my memory

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also working my way through my second playthrough and I paid more attention to the cutscene for Junk Heap. Gideon really is a huge shithead, isn’t he? Whines his rear end off when his mom’s gone, causes the accident that kills his brother, then turns around and blames a bystander for it. I wish we could kick his rear end.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

it does and it owns extremely hard

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 27, 2021

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like Replicant has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, which makes them hard to compare. Replicant/Gestalt have a better main cast and a bigger emotional pull (I really did not buy 2B and 9S' dynamic as romantic and that killed it for me), but the actual story has big holes based on the characters being stupid. Basically none of the plot would have happened if Popola went against her mission, and Noir acted Obviously Evil for no real reason. These don't feel like characters going against their fate, it just feels like they wrote in a twist as a gotcha without making sure it made sense. Automata didn't have this problem, but its main antagonists were pretty flat.

Gameplay wise, so far I'm actually preferring the combat in Replicant to Automata, simply because of how it's billed. When I went into Automata, I was expecting it to play like a Platinum game. 2B and A2 control like characters from a Platinum game, but nothing else in the game is designed around that. It also had a terrible leveling system. In the end it felt like you were way overpowered compared to the very simple enemies, and it felt frustrating. Replicant on the other hand is just an action rpg, like Drakengard 3. Feeling overpowered is just how these games go, and it's not really trying to wow you with the combat.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
OG Nier had my favorite game story until Automata happened. The fact that Yoko Taro claimed the number one spot from himself is pretty loving rad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drakengard remake when

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Replicant suffers from repeating itself. It asks the player to go through all of its massive areas at least twice, with no real difference between each visit. You have to offer something new if you revisit a place. Something has to meaningfully change.

Ocarina of Time, for example, rarely made you go through the exact place and instead took you to places you saw but simply couldn’t access. For example, Jabu Jabu vs the Ice Cavern, finding Saria vs. the Forest Temple, drained Lake Hylia, etc. When it did make you revisit the same places, it’s never the same experience - e.g. the Kokiri Village, Castle Town, Gordon City.

Not so in Replicant. If you’ve been to the Aerie once, you’ve been to the Aerie a thousand times, and you’ll experience nothing new going back there. Facade doesn’t change, the Forest of Myth doesn’t change, the Lost Shrine doesn’t change, the Junk Heap sure as gently caress doesn’t change, you get the idea. And yet you have to go to them a bunch of times! Imagine if you had to go to the amusement park three or four times in Automata and it was the same every time.

The level design in this game is just very lazy and reuses existing locations without changing them significantly over time. Hell, there’s a timeskip in the game just like in Ocarina of Time and yet it doesn’t really change the world as a result. Huge missed opportunity.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Story done time for the real Nier gameplay

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Knowing nothing about Yoko Taro and Drakengard/Nier, I absolutely loved Automata. I should buy Replicant (and probably replay Automata after that), shouldn't I? I have a high end PC, should I get it on there over PS5 or are there major issues with the PC port like there was for Automata? Or does it not matter?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Knowing nothing about Yoko Taro and Drakengard/Nier, I absolutely loved Automata. I should buy Replicant (and probably replay Automata after that), shouldn't I? I have a high end PC, should I get it on there over PS5 or are there major issues with the PC port like there was for Automata? Or does it not matter?
There's some issues with the PC port, but it depends on the person? You could always get it on PC and return it if it doesn't work right for you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah play Replicant. People have been talking about issues on PC, so maybe go PS5.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Buy it play it, it's amazing

keep your expectations in check, though. it's a remaster of a jank rear end 2010 game, and though they've fixed a good amount, that jank is still there in places.

PC port apparently kind of a mixed bag, some people need mods to get it running good. PS5 version probably a safer bet but you can always refund the Steam version if it's bad for you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have to admit, one of the things that I am most excited about playing Nier: Replicant right nowis that when I'm done, I have an awesome reason to replay Nier: Automata and have a few things given context.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Replicant is more repetitive and likes to waste your time, but its story, characters, and worldbuilding are better than Automata IMO.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Replicant definitely hates the player more than Automata does that’s for sure

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hatty posted:

Replicant definitely hates the player more than Automata does that’s for sure

Yeah Automata was even willing to have a special ending and boss for anyone crazy enough to level up all the weapons.

I think the original x360 achievement was even just 5GS, the lowest possible. It was as much as a "lol gently caress you" as they could possibly manage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

aww hell yeah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NG+ question: do they ever explain why Number 6 is some sort of...doll...skeleton...thing? Emil’s flashback suggests that 6 was originally completely organic like a human, so I would assume that it would look like one, but instead it’s whatever the gently caress that is.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

axeil posted:

Are you using the Special K mod? Apparently there's something fucky going on with PS4 controllers specifically and the mod has some fixes in it to fix it.

Using and xbox controller and special K, and what bugs me is that it worked just fine until it didnt.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

I feel like Replicant has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, which makes them hard to compare. Replicant/Gestalt have a better main cast and a bigger emotional pull (I really did not buy 2B and 9S' dynamic as romantic and that killed it for me), but the actual story has big holes based on the characters being stupid. Basically none of the plot would have happened if Popola went against her mission, and Noir acted Obviously Evil for no real reason. These don't feel like characters going against their fate, it just feels like they wrote in a twist as a gotcha without making sure it made sense. Automata didn't have this problem, but its main antagonists were pretty flat.

I mean, for me it's pretty obvious why 9S would like 2B, but yeah, her feelings for him are a bit more complicated since they've built up over god knows how many iterations of him that we never see.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dabir posted:

I mean, for me it's pretty obvious why 9S would like 2B, but yeah, her feelings for him are a bit more complicated since they've built up over god knows how many iterations of him that we never see.
I feel like the side-story from the World Guide with them exploring the desert really should've been part of the base game TBH, because A2's reveal doesn't exactly work when the only example shown is 2B mercykilling him in Route A/B. That wasn't one of her ordered executions, it was different.

either as something you play, or presented in the same VN style that Devola/Popola's backstory or Anemone's mission were shown in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere that has good translations of the stage shows and any other Japan-only ancillary stuff? Are they in either of the books?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uh...hm. I just realized something. One of the conversations in Act 2, during the Mermaid chapter, Weiss asks Nier if he’s ever written a letter, and Nier says he hasn’t.

Assuming that’s true...who’s been sending Yonah the letters she talks about in the loading screens?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed that too and it’s so weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Uh...hm. I just realized something. One of the conversations in Act 2, during the Mermaid chapter, Weiss asks Nier if he’s ever written a letter, and Nier says he hasn’t.

Assuming that’s true...who’s been sending Yonah the letters she talks about in the loading screens?

It could only really plausibly be popolah or devolah. I took it as sign number nine trillion that nier is a weird sociopath who fetishizes saving yonah to the extent of mostly ignoring her