Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Is it possible to magically or technologically overclock one's brain and nervous system so that everyday reality is augmented to BTL levels?

Sounds like the sort of thing that would result in the player character finding a series of journal entries scattered around your home / basement lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

KataraniSword posted:

Hey now I'm gonna have to stop you there, King Philip was just an addict to watching the only trideo he could find on his company's defunct intranet.

(Trideos, or Trids as the case may be, are completely external and are basically just real life TV but with added holograms to make it more 3D.)

He's literally someone who ended up trapped in a building alone with nothing more than long pork to eat and nothing more than Naruto to watch for years on end; don't liken him to a BTL junkie because he thinks he's the next hokage. :mad:
King Philip was the best. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Lone Badger posted:

Sounds like the sort of thing that would result in the player character finding a series of journal entries scattered around your home / basement lab.

Incidentally, it is also the sort of thing that would result in three keys and a towers of hanoi puzzle just to get in your bathroom.

What I'm saying is that for all its faults, the Umbrella Corporation wasn't nearly as effective in Shadowrun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Hey now I'm gonna have to stop you there, King Philip was just an addict to watching the only trideo he could find on his company's defunct intranet.

(Trideos, or Trids as the case may be, are completely external and are basically just real life TV but with added holograms to make it more 3D.)

He's literally someone who ended up trapped in a building alone with nothing more than long pork to eat and nothing more than Naruto to watch for years on end; don't liken him to a BTL junkie because he thinks he's the next hokage. :mad:

Big Anime Triddies, you say

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I love when this thread gets to talking about the SR universe. :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Don't do drugs, you might get possessed by an evil tree" is admittedly a direction DARE didn't take.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Is it possible to magically or technologically overclock one's brain and nervous system so that everyday reality is augmented to BTL levels?

Novacoke and PCP will do the trick for a few minutes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Novacoke is like regular cocaine.

But nova.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

habeasdorkus posted:

It's such a fun setting. Shame the actual tabletop rules have been a dumpster fire since the late 80's and have somehow gotten worse.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dont know posted:

It's such a fun setting. Shame the actual tabletop rules have been a dumpster fire since the late 80's and have somehow gotten worse.

Again, just run the Shadowrun homebrew hack of The Sprawl and you're good to go.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

paragon1 posted:

Novacoke is like regular cocaine.

But nova.

Novacoke is just cocaine after the marketing department got to it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

I dont know posted:

What is a worse idea: running Shadowrun with Eclipse Phase 1.0 rules or vice versa?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What is a worse idea: running Shadowrun with Eclipse Phase 1.0 rules or vice versa?

Pretty sure if you do that on an equinox it summons Shub-Niggurath.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always figured novacoke was like 'victory gin' or soykaf: a lovely synthetic substitute since you can't get the real stuff anymore.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

habeasdorkus posted:

:same:

I have nothing to contribute, because the old Genesis game/HBS games are the sum total of my SR lore, but it's great.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

i ran eclipse phase with spacemaster rules and it owned, so that's my answer

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Lone Badger posted:

I always figured novacoke was like 'victory gin' or soykaf: a lovely synthetic substitute since you can't get the real stuff anymore.

Especially considering how real world new coke went

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

The Lone Badger posted:

"Don't do drugs, you might get possessed by an evil tree" is admittedly a direction DARE didn't take.

Shame. Keeping Rachael Leigh Cook from destroying my kitchen was enough for me, but this angle might have worked with other people.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Just based on my limited knowledge, you could in theory have your cyber-eyes, cyber-ears, and cyber-nose hooked into a system that boosts the output to BTL levels, but I'm not sure if it could do that realtime and feed it back into your brain.

e: Again to my limited knowledge, BTL hacking is more of an art than just turning the dials to 11. You want to dial back the pain perception and negative emotions, dial up the pleasure.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 28, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

KataraniSword posted:

The one difference, I feel, is that slotting a skillsoft probably doesn't give you the turboshits.

BRB Starting a Butthole Surfers/G.G.Allin mashup band.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

BRB Starting a Butthole Surfers/G.G.Allin mashup band.

Called it "Shitwave." It was awful.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:v: and it smells even worse!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Lone Badger posted:

If there's one thing you can expect to have improved in Shadowrun over our world, it's the drugs. So while I'm not a cocaine connoisseur, I assume novacoke is at least as potent as the real stuff in every way, and probably has a few tricks of its own.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Drugs in shadowrun is great, you just put random words in front of real drugs (deepweed, betameth) or just capitalize some real word (Kamikaze, Cram).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The sixth world has a tremendous disparity between the rich and poor and also advanced technology and magic so I'd assume that the sheer scale of different drugs manufactured for different niches would fill an encyclopedia.

If I were to GM SR I'd just rule that if you can define a need then someone is making drugs for your taste. Maybe make some rules about the quality vs. cost.

I.E. Premium uppers probably don't crash you as hard and won't destroy your heart.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

paragon1 posted:

Drugs in shadowrun is great, you just put random words in front of real drugs (deepweed, betameth) or just capitalize some real word (Kamikaze, Cram).

Everyone says betameth is higher quality, but if you want the most accessibility and cheaper cost, you gotta get VHS (valium/heroin/speed)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

By popular demand posted:

The sixth world has a tremendous disparity between the rich and poor and also advanced technology and magic so I'd assume that the sheer scale of different drugs manufactured for different niches would fill an encyclopedia.

If I were to GM SR I'd just rule that if you can define a need then someone is making drugs for your taste. Maybe make some rules about the quality vs. cost.

I.E. Premium uppers probably don't crash you as hard and won't destroy your heart.

If you're really rich, you don't really have to bother with drugs because you can just get organs that make you better at stuff all the time instead. You get them grown specifically for you and the essence cost is quite small. And if your essence drops sufficiently that it starts to affect your social skills (since you tend to become more "mechanical" as your essence goes down and that tends to make people uncomfortable), well there's organs and bioware that increase your social skill to compensate for that.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

KataraniSword posted:

Everyone says betameth is higher quality, but if you want the most accessibility and cheaper cost, you gotta get VHS (valium/heroin/speed)

I thought VHS had run betameth out of the market? Every BetaHead I talked to just goes on an on about it

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

argosaxelcaos posted:

I thought VHS had run betameth out of the market? Every BetaHead I talked to just goes on an on about it

Betameth gives cleaner highs, and is more sophisticated on a chemical level. However, you don't get erotic visions with it like VHSmeth, so i just can't compete.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

I dont know posted:

Betameth gives cleaner highs, and is more sophisticated on a chemical level. However, you don't get erotic visions with it like VHSmeth, so i just can't compete.

:rimshot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Deepweed sounds like a music genre you listen to while stoned.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The richest of all can actually get their essence repaired. It's ruinously expensive, but when you're megacorp royalty and you buy and sell small countries, what does money matter anymore?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

It was awful.

(It just doesn't get old)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

girl dick energy posted:

I agree but it's actually just weed laced with magic and definitely not PCP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I agree but it's actually just weed laced with magic and definitely not PCP.
That sounds more like sangria or ayahuasca.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

If there's one thing you can expect to have improved in Shadowrun over our world, it's the drugs. So while I'm not a cocaine connoisseur, I assume novacoke is at least as potent as the real stuff in every way, and probably has a few tricks of its own.

Novacoke is the real stuff. Aztechnology is descended from the Mexican cartels, they weren't letting coca go extinct.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

KataraniSword posted:

*slow clap*

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Can these be combined into Cramikaze?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

K10 aka 'Blood of Kali' is the ultimate combat stimulant. Half the test subjects died of heart-explody. The other half died from the wounds they suffered during their rampage - but not until AFTER it wore off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I once played a pen and paper runner with addiction to both novacoke and alcohol. He took a break in the middle of a gunfight to save an expensive bottle from being shot to pieces full. Fortunately no one in the group, me included, could be bothered trying to figure out the addiction rules so he didn't suffer too badly from his lifestyle. Although most runners probably don't need to worry about long term prospects even without a heavy drug addiction. :v: