Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf you should probably be proud of yourself for making it that far without using a single bone shard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Banemaster posted:

...I am not very perceptive.

I was having trouble with the Unknown King boss. And thought of finally using Undead Boneshards to boost my Estus. I had assumed that those boosted that Bonfire only. I only noticed my mistake when that specific Bonfire did not have the burning option...

:negative:

Woooooooow

That's amazing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao god drat, gj getting through most of the game with the basic estus flask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao god drat, gj getting through most of the game with the basic estus flask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

sometimes souls multiplayer can be weird and wonderful

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the area after Sullyvahn is great. welcome back. spoilers? It's been ten years and I still can't fight Knights worth a poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I knew it was coming but it’s still v. heartwarming to see the silver knight entourage of dragonslayer bows to welcome me formally back to Anor Londo. I’m almost disappointed that they made it fair this time though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I finished this game on Friday, have now moved on to Sekiro.

Easy my favourite of the three dark souls games. Beating Slave Knight Gael is one of the best DS trilogy boss battle feelings I have had. What a great, great game! :D

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I achieved the same feat on Saturday.
gently caress the optional boss, though, he's really a letdown.

Great game nonetheless.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Midir? I thought he was horseshit and everyone saying “just stand in front of his head” was having a laugh until I stood in front of his head and it just clicked. I prefer Kalameet as a slow dragon fight though. I won’t fight him again lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Midir kinda still sucks though, he's too big and the fight mainly just becomes a battle with his head. Sinh remains by far the best dragon fight in the series even if he likes to fly a little too much

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Midir manages to break the camera, to be boring, and to be visually unimpressive, especially after you've gone through Friede/Demon Prince/Gael.
He ends up bring a long fight with little emotional or visual payoff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Midir wouldn't be so bad if his favorite attack wasn't the one where he just wildly thrashes around and when his tantrum ends he's on the other side of the cave.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've played DS2 the least like most I'm sure but I have beaten it a couple times and I dont remember that boss?

I feel if I was making games, I know they're fantasy but I'd want to stray away from making bosses you shouldn't reasonably be able to beat. Dragon ain't gonna let you slash at his ankles til he dies. One thing I'd like to carry over from Sekiro is the satisfying 1v1 humanoid bosses. But I guess it all doesn't matter cause the series is done. Wonder what we'll see in ER. Hearing Bandai Namco is going to E3? Wonder if we'll finally see something.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I've played DS2 the least like most I'm sure but I have beaten it a couple times and I dont remember that boss?

I feel if I was making games, I know they're fantasy but I'd want to stray away from making bosses you shouldn't reasonably be able to beat. Dragon ain't gonna let you slash at his ankles til he dies. One thing I'd like to carry over from Sekiro is the satisfying 1v1 humanoid bosses. But I guess it all doesn't matter cause the series is done. Wonder what we'll see in ER. Hearing Bandai Namco is going to E3? Wonder if we'll finally see something.

Midir is in DS3. DS2 has 2 dragon bosses and they suck too, fwiw.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sinh is a DLC boss and head and shoulders above the base game dragon fights (and every other base game fight really). Really its extraordinary how much of an improvement 2's DLC was over the base game in general, if the entire game had even been close to that quality it'd be up there with Bloodborne imo

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wouldn't mind Sinh if it didn't melt my drat weapons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Last Celebration posted:

I knew it was coming but it’s still v. heartwarming to see the silver knight entourage of dragonslayer bows to welcome me formally back to Anor Londo. I’m almost disappointed that they made it fair this time though.

I don't know what I did different in the past but I'd always cruised past those guys in prior runs and felt like a savant because of all the kvetching about them. Then I got to Anor Londo in my most recent playthrough and those obnoxious motherfuckers halted my forward progress for days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wouldn't mind Sinh if it didn't melt my drat weapons.

This

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Wait, I didn't expect Midir to fall down and offer his neck to me.
Despite killing me repeatedly, I am underwhelmed by this boss.

Whoa, after 83 hours (a lot of them, spent waffling around playing coop/pvp), I'm done with my first DS3 run! This game is a masterpiece.
Now, the real question - do I respec into INT and try to play NG+ without useful spells, or start a new NG run?

Char fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 26, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Char posted:

Wait, I didn't expect Midir to fall down and offer his neck to me.
Despite killing me repeatedly, I am underwhelmed by this boss.

Whoa, after 83 hours (a lot of them, spent waffling around playing coop/pvp), I'm done with my first DS3 run! This game is a masterpiece.
Now, the real question - do I respec into INT and try to play NG+ without useful spells, or start a new NG run?

Probably start a NG. I didn't find much engagement in NG+

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Midir is in DS3. DS2 has 2 dragon bosses and they suck too, fwiw.

Three if you include Ancient Dragon. Who sucks the most.

Sinh is...okay, bordering on annoying. Though as I've said before in at least one of these threads, I kinda hate every single big giant monster boss. If I wanted to play Monster Hunter I'd go play Monster Hunter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sometimes you gotta go fight a big rear end monster just so you can appreciate the duels more when they happen. If you try and eat desert for every course you end up with DS2 where you just get tired of eating midling deserts

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I should clarify that I really just mean anything that A) is barely compatible with the camera and/or lock-on system and B) uses vague flailing or some other bullshit to attack rather than a discernible weapon or equivalent. Bosses like Sif, Quelaag, Capra Demon, etc. are all just fine despite not being 1v1 cool sword dude fights.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is the DS3 lock-on any worse than the other Souls games?

I feel there has been an inordinate number of times where clicking the left joystick changes from "lock-on" to "spin 180 degrees so I can be more efficiently attacked from behind". Not even in boss fights, just in general.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I feel like the behavior once locked-on is the best I've seen so far across DS1/2/3. But getting the actual lock is garbage compared to the previous games. I feel like I have to be within 10 feet before it'll lock on, and if there's more than one enemy it's hard to lock onto the one I want.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Yeah, once on, its good.

But even with one enemy, right in front of me, it occasionally decides that I want to admire the finely woven tapestry behind me rather than smoosh the Undead.

I mean, I DO like Dark Souls-ing through elaborate living spaces, but please.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean the worlds are detailed and great but imagine something that felt as immersive as a Morrowind but you walk outside and go adventuring and the combat feels like Souls.
c'mon Elden Ring dont disappoint

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm kinda glad Elden Ring is taking so long because every single Souls title to date has had the scars of cut content somewhere upon it and the only way to really avoid that is just to take a real long time making it good. I'll happily wait until 2023 if it means they finally get to deliver a 100% complete magnum opus with a world as stunning as DS1 again

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

codo27 posted:

I mean the worlds are detailed and great but imagine something that felt as immersive as a Morrowind but you walk outside and go adventuring and the combat feels like Souls.
c'mon Elden Ring dont disappoint

it is actually going to be a Musou game.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

multijoe posted:

I'm kinda glad Elden Ring is taking so long because every single Souls title to date has had the scars of cut content somewhere upon it and the only way to really avoid that is just to take a real long time making it good. I'll happily wait until 2023 if it means they finally get to deliver a 100% complete magnum opus with a world as stunning as DS1 again

A finger on the monkey’s paw curls: Elden Ring comes out in 2023, has an area of copy pasted dragon torsos in a snow field.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I finally picked up DS1:Remastered on sale and started a new run-through using keyboard and mouse as my controller went kaput

After a small acclimation period I'll be damned if it isn't probably outright superior to using a controller...

I'm also finally forcing myself to parry anything and everything and actually getting the timing down and holy crap. How have I played every ds game and only now decided to put parrying in my repertoire... it's so good!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aw yeah, KB+M buddy. :hf:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Aw yeah, KB+M buddy. :hf:

:hf: I ended up changing almost every input before it felt right, but now I'm just zooming around chain backstabbing everything and basically never targeting. I feel as if I've ascended somehow... after taking out taurus demon the resin was still sparking for most of my chat with solaire

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I believe it's a phenomenon known as "gittin gud".

Learning to leave the lock-on behind is where the real dark souls begins.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

I should clarify that I really just mean anything that A) is barely compatible with the camera and/or lock-on system and B) uses vague flailing or some other bullshit to attack rather than a discernible weapon or equivalent. Bosses like Sif, Quelaag, Capra Demon, etc. are all just fine despite not being 1v1 cool sword dude fights.
capra demon is only "fine" if you are not talking about the "walk into tiny arena and get ambushed by dogs" aspect, and if you're just talking about capra by himself he is a 1v1 cool sword dude

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

capra demon is only "fine" if you are not talking about the "walk into tiny arena and get ambushed by dogs" aspect, and if you're just talking about capra by himself he is a 1v1 cool sword dude

capra has two cool swords :colbert:

the dogs definitely add a flavor of chaotic panic in the early moments of that fight. what i wouldn't do to see population statistics on people's blind first time attempts on that fight in particular

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Not exactly statistics but here’s a heat map of player deaths for the original Dark Souls:

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/dark-souls-death-visualisation-map-shows-that-plenty-die-at-firelink-shrine/

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Protagonist posted:

capra has two cool swords :colbert:
yeah, so does fume knight, noted cool sword guy

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, so is there an actual explanation somewhere for why there’s two Firelink Shrines/Untended Graveyards in the game? Or is it just a Bloodborne homage because Bloodborne is cool and rad? I guess “the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think it's supposed to be in the past, during a previous cycle of dark, before gundyr got corrupted somehow. But that's just a guess