Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Meanwhile, India is clearly not happy with people literally dying in the streets from the collapse of their health care system, and is preparing to allow for another religious festival in Jammu- which is critically underserved by health care in the best of times.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-india-to-allow-amarnath-pilgrimage-despite-surge-in-cases/a-57341771

I feel like I’ve had an epiphany and came to the profound realization that ultranationalist government really isn’t good for anyone who likes remaining alive.

Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
PEDs aren't that big a deal when they're being used in low doses for specific therapeutic purposes under the supervision of a professional in people who are over 32 so yeah it's definitely not good how they're permeating youth sports. I remember kids in high school taking them and our football team was awful AND they skipped leg day. It was bad.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My preppy highschool was awful at football and still sophomores got routinely told that if they wanted to make the team they'd have to find 20 more pounds somehow. That was quite a while ago so I have to imagine it's much worse now

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Stultus Maximus posted:

400,000 mostly Black and brown people just got a big raise but it's not space communism so I guess boo succdems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaplovE3vsg

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Godholio posted:

Maybe attacking someone expressing interest in continuing to learn about something and making a baseless accusation isn't the best way to have a constructive dialogue and win people onto the side of moving this issue in the right direction.

There's no accusation there. Just frustration that a trans child's ability to determine their own gender is a political issue that disingenuous people bury under think-of-the-children concern trolling. Thanks so much for your input.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I apologize if I offended, I assure you it wasn't my intention. I know my thoughts on the subject aren't unique and lord knows I'm not perfect. Like another poster said I am trying to learn about the subject so I don't spread misinformation. I don't want to be all "but I have a black friend" but I have known trans people and I wish them the best of luck in their lives. You might be right in that it's something I can't understand but it doesn't mean I won't try.

Anyway I'll drop my comments on it, I don't want to start another derail.

Don't make me post my thoughts on Vegemite

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Midjack posted:

It would bring it into the daylight at least. It's happening at all levels and part of the reason a bunch of nasty poo poo gets used is because it's not screened for. If it was permissible then there would be incentive to use safer stuff so you'd have a longer and more lucrative career. We've already proven that prohibition doesn't work, why keep pretending it does?

The amount of come to Jesus moments I have to have with people about the fact that a shockingly large portion of the people they look up to are on one thing or another is depressing. Being up to your eyeballs in strength sports both on the tested and untested sides makes it very clear just how pervasive it is. Yes dude, almost all of your heroes are on something. No, it doesn't make your dick fall off. No, you don't suddenly go from zen to beating your significant other (yes women use too and no it's not just she-hulks).

The majority of PED usage is recreational, just regular people you probably wouldn't blink twice at beyond just thinking they're kinda jacked.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Iain posted:

You might be right in that it's something I can't understand but it doesn't mean I won't try.

I get that you think this is the thing that means you're doing better. But, try to understand: You cannot understand, and that's okay.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have no issues with PEDs. poo poo, if nothing else, the incredible amount of it used in the military made me reconsider. The invasion couldn't have happened without old school Ripped Fuel.

But I want there to be two separate leagues- an all natural one, and then an anything goes. I want to watch real life Mutant League Football.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Midjack posted:

It would bring it into the daylight at least. It's happening at all levels and part of the reason a bunch of nasty poo poo gets used is because it's not screened for. If it was permissible then there would be incentive to use safer stuff so you'd have a longer and more lucrative career. We've already proven that prohibition doesn't work, why keep pretending it does?

Because the bold part isn't going to solve the problem...people will use whatever they feel they need to, ignore any advice that gets in the way, etc. Look at Cam Newton returning WAY earlier than he should've after covid knocked him on his rear end (or any of the other athletes who returned too early after injury/illness). Lawrence Taylor was on cocaine for almost every game of his career, certainly there were less risky options available. McGuire and Sosa were household names before they juiced to the moon to chase the HR record.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Godholio posted:

Because the bold part isn't going to solve the problem...people will use whatever they feel they need to, ignore any advice that gets in the way, etc. Look at Cam Newton returning WAY earlier than he should've after covid knocked him on his rear end (or any of the other athletes who returned too early after injury/illness). Lawrence Taylor was on cocaine for almost every game of his career, certainly there were less risky options available. McGuire and Sosa were household names before they juiced to the moon to chase the HR record.

People will do stupid poo poo but my understanding is the safer stuff generally works better as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I don't think anyone suggested it was.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have no issues with PEDs. poo poo, if nothing else, the incredible amount of it used in the military made me reconsider. The invasion couldn't have happened without old school Ripped Fuel.

But I want there to be two separate leagues- an all natural one, and then an anything goes. I want to watch real life Mutant League Football.

That's pretty much what the untested side of powerlifting is, with surprisingly less drama and more chill unpretentious people. Guy just squatted 1133 in knee wraps this weekend while plowing through a case of Coors Light, got iced while standing on the podium afterwards and chugged it before being handed a $10k check.

Godholio posted:

Yeah, people are going to do whatever they need to in order to grab that brass ring. It's happening right now. Highschool kids are ringing that bell to get recruited to a better school, college kids to get a shot at the combine, combine to get drafted, and pro league players to get or keep that edge. If they've got to ring that bell to get to that next level, that's as far as they're going to get. The issue isn't a "what if", it's a question of harm mitigation and damage reduction.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I grew up watching Magnus Ver Magnusson lift Volkswagen. Until recently, there was no drama, just insane feats of human strength. I love Worlds Strongest Man.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Relevant to the food discussion from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/epicurious/status/1386702329613672452?s=19

E: don't read the replies/quote tweets I just found out there are people out there who say that malnutrition is due to a lack of red meat and my soul left my body

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 28, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Meanwhile, India is clearly not happy with people literally dying in the streets from the collapse of their health care system, and is preparing to allow for another religious festival in Jammu- which is critically underserved by health care in the best of times.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-india-to-allow-amarnath-pilgrimage-despite-surge-in-cases/a-57341771

I feel like I’ve had an epiphany and came to the profound realization that ultranationalist government really isn’t good for anyone who likes remaining alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TBarofQ_8

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/CraigKellyMP/status/1385881156118142983?s=20

don't tweet while high and a politician

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm genuinely trying to figure out what this guy thought he understood about CyberPunk before tweeting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

I grew up watching Magnus Ver Magnusson lift Volkswagen. Until recently, there was no drama, just insane feats of human strength. I love Worlds Strongest Man.

https://youtu.be/RzBr6wof1mw

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Uh...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lol drat

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/us/florida-centner-academy-vaccine.html

quote:

A private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students.

Guys... I'm just loving tired...

quote:

In the letter, Ms. Centner gave employees three options:

Inform the school if they had already been vaccinated, so they could be kept physically distanced from students;

Let the school know if they get the vaccine before the end of the school year, “as we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known”;

Wait until the school year is over to get vaccinated.

Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return, the letter said, until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only “if a position is still available at that time” — effectively making teachers’ employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:psypop:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Meanwhile, in DoDEA schools, every teacher was fully vaccinated months ago and none of the students suddenly started having mutant powers or dropping dead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

They also have a staff chiropractor to touch the kids with crystals so it's not like this is unexpected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Adding crystals actually makes that sentence less bad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Adding crystals actually makes that sentence less bad.

gently caress

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
That private "school" also had RFK, Jr. as a featured speaker, the tuition cost is $30k, and the husband of the operation is a toll road magnate.

The one benefit of the near-future is that Covid's finally going to be a chud-dominant disease soon, with limited vaccine breakthrough cases for non-chuds. Probably more danger of variants coming from other countries than the chud population.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Unfortunately we likely need most chuds to get vaccinated if we ever want to hit herd immunity.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/normcharlatan/status/1387259355456671746?s=20

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don’t forget the best parts:

“A school in Miami is coming under fire after it reportedly sent out a letter telling vaccinated employees they could not be around students, citing false claims linking the vaccine to changes in women’s reproductive cycles.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems.”

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Unfortunately we likely need most chuds to get vaccinated if we ever want to hit herd immunity.

Perhaps we should start segregating them from our society. Say, along the Mason-Dixon line. Immunized people go to the north, chuds go to the south. Missouri can get hosed.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 28, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I mean, if we don’t have chuds won’t we run out of cops?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean, if we don’t have chuds won’t we run out of cops?

Good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/FayeEcklar/status/1387402323371216900

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

also, happy ed balls day

https://twitter.com/edballs/status/63623585020915713?s=20

10 years, what a ride.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1387367079372902405?s=20

Literally rolling up in the back of a pickup truck like a bunch of Klansmen.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 28, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1387367079372902405?s=20

Literally rolling up in the back of a pickup truck like a bunch of Klansmen.

And also like the Taliban.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If it weren't for the giveaway Americana, I would have thought it was an ISIL hit video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks like the Purge or some poo poo.