Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

dmboogie posted:

does one pace even make significant changes to the earlier episodes? i know it's pretty late in the show that people started complaining hardcore about the pacing (like, one manga chapter per episode pacing)

Maybe it doesn't lmao, I'm not like watching them against each other but it's v lol. I've seen these before so I think I might skip forward and just play the game to remind myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

on the topic of anime youtubers that don't suck, I like Hazels essays a bunch! she did a couple essays a few years ago (including the one I linked) and then took a break for a while, but it looks like she's trying to put videos out more consistently now, and they've all been p well researched and presented imo

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

realtalk its because ROTK is Shu-Han propaganda written hundreds of years after the fact so Wu mostly just exists in it as "these guys who were cool and helped Shu at Chi Bi and Liu Bei married their princess but then they got all buttmad about Guan Yu occupying one of their territories so they betrayed us >:("
Which American author is equivalent to Luo Guanzhong in terms of lionizing the loser of a civil war that really doesn't deserve the praise?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

Which American author is equivalent to Luo Guanzhong in terms of lionizing the loser of a civil war that really doesn't deserve the praise?

Margaret Mitchell

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Ronald Maxwell or Jeff Shaara depending on film or novel.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So uh, should I play a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game or Total War: Three Kingdoms

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

egg tats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

on the topic of anime youtubers that don't suck, I like Hazels essays a bunch! she did a couple essays a few years ago (including the one I linked) and then took a break for a while, but it looks like she's trying to put videos out more consistently now, and they've all been p well researched and presented imo
Hazel is very good! She also just released an over 2 hour long video on Elfen Lied.
Hazel- "Why Did We Like Elfen Lied?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwdaJA-6z8

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I really like her officer gimmick where she arrests other vtubers based on their viewers being narcs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MechaX posted:

So uh, should I play a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game or Total War: Three Kingdoms

play Dynasty Warriors 7

thats not even a joke, Dynasty Warriors 7's Story mode is a really really good retelling of ROTK

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MechaX posted:

Total War seems to do a few fun things with it, but it seems like they kind of expected players to know the basics or be willing to just read a bunch of paragraphs in game. ManyATrueNerd's streams made it look fun though. I really liked the concept in one expansion where they threw in a character who died really early in the story. So his character mechanic is living on borrowed time, and you have to keep accomplishing objectives to keep up his luck or he'll finally get his assassinated.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This channel came up in my recommended. I have no idea why, but I've been binging on the videos.

It's just a dude, showcasing long-distance and regional travel options in Japan, and occasionally regional snackfoods. Not much else going on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDa5_HJ3qPkDtbRmdlqBD3g/videos

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

just when i thought they couldnt get any dumber they hire. like their food stuff isnt that bad but lol.

kamille
Mar 18, 2016

Vagabundo posted:

This channel came up in my recommended. I have no idea why, but I've been binging on the videos.

It's just a dude, showcasing long-distance and regional travel options in Japan, and occasionally regional snackfoods. Not much else going on.

This is extremely my poo poo, thanks for sharing.

If you like this kind of content and want to see a nerdier, more anime-focused take on travel and sightseeing in Japan you might also like this channel (although it's all in Japanese). The videos where he visits the real life inspirations for anime settings are pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shoutM0/videos

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

If only one person consents it's not a kink it's abuse lol
in this particular case you can argue for and against the case that it's coercive. In my opinion it is kink but one side is less into it for their own preferences but because it makes the other happy. There's room for explorations of hesistancy in intimate relationships and the fact that it continues and eventually becomes normalized in their dynamic says to me that it's that. Feel free to disagree.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

just when i thought they couldnt get any dumber they hire. like their food stuff isnt that bad but lol.

poo poo, I thought I had ended this subscription long ago, turns out they're among the fuckers who start their gaming channel with "The", making it super hard to find if you're the kind of rear end in a top hat with 250+ channels.

But finally, they're weeded out.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Endorph posted:

i think i remember hearing about a korean webcomic that's three kingdoms but with social media posts? like its still set in the feudal era, and about war and mostly follows history but everyone tweets on the side.

Do you know if there's a translation? Sounds like it could be funny

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I think bob is subtweeting lol
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1387130308521234433

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Sarcopenia posted:

Hazel is very good! She also just released an over 2 hour long video on Elfen Lied.
Hazel- "Why Did We Like Elfen Lied?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwdaJA-6z8

Dammit, beaten to it again. This video is a trip so far and I'm only about halfway through it.

"When They Cry fans are almost as deranged as FF14 fans."

:drat:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Solitair posted:

Dammit, beaten to it again. This video is a trip so far and I'm only about halfway through it.

"When They Cry fans are almost as deranged as FF14 fans."

:drat:

I take offense to that!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Here's the playlist for the english subbed, extremely good Three Kingdoms show. It's missing like, two episodes of the whole series, but I think they're still on youtube and just not in the playlist, so that's all.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00

And yeah if you want a game with the story, Dynasty Warriors 7: XL (Basically director's cut or what have you, XL most of the time just means extra content in the DW games) is on steam for $20, the Total War game and the actual ROT3K games are very good, but they're strategy games and expect you to have some notion of the setting to really start, before everything starts going awry thanks to strategy games going the way they do.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 28, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MiddleOne posted:

Gatekeeping in these industries is never fair or universally applied. It is a few people who for irrational reasons abuse their power. Think of them as middle-school bullies. They target whomever they think they can get away with for whatever reason they find justifiable.
The VA biz is neither lucrative nor deep for the people working it. The handful of people who do it full time for anime have their hands in dozens of pies, plus voice directing, plus conventions to make those ends meet and keep their names out there. Kinda like how A-list actors turfed out voice regulars out of leading roles in major films, I could definitely see the current VA crowd closing ranks to avoid losing their job to whatever youtuber gets a gold play button this year, not to mention possibly for less cash than what the veteran VAs are being paid. Doesn't make it right, but I could understand that at least.

Vagabundo posted:

Aw man... that makes me miss travelling there so much. I would make sure to put a long train ride in the middle of the trip just to give my feet a vacation from my vacation and a chance to really take it easy for a day.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

Here's the playlist for the english subbed, extremely good Three Kingdoms show. It's missing like, two episodes of the whole series, but I think they're still on youtube and just not in the playlist, so that's all.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00

And yeah if you want a game with the story, Dynasty Warriors 7: XL (Basically director's cut or what have you, XL most of the time just means extra content in the DW games) is on steam for $20, the Total War game and the actual ROT3K games are very good, but they're strategy games and expect you to have some notion of the setting to really start, before everything starts going awry thanks to strategy games going the way they do.

ROT3K X is fairly fun, it has officer mode so you can run around as some random rear end in a top hat in China.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress is subtweeting?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

He's tweeting from inside a lost nuclear submarine, slowly succumbing to radiation poisoning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as I can tell it's calling people out via twitter without actually naming names to enforce a sort of plausible deniability if anyone calls their bluff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arcsquad12 posted:

As far as I can tell it's calling people out via twitter without actually naming names to enforce a sort of plausible deniability if anyone calls their bluff.

That's a terrible name for that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's getting mad at someone but in a way where you hope the website doesn't notify them or let them find out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress is subtweeting?

Talking about someone / something without explicitly mentioning it.

Sometimes it's fine (eg you just want to vent without getting into a fight with someone's followers), sometimes it's not (eg you are happy to spread rumours).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Holy poo poo there are a lot of angry responses to this video in particular. Stay mad, weebs.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

From what I can tell, Yajin Tensei is just about the only isekai manga that isn't titty harem bullshit at all.

It's a dude who gets hit by a truck and ends up in a world where he uses his karate skills to become an adventurer.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Truck-kun is the most powerful character in all of isekai, he's killed countless protagonists by this point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Solitair posted:

Holy poo poo there are a lot of angry responses to this video in particular.

people get nutty 'bout that anime

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Motto posted:

it's getting mad at someone but in a way where you hope the website doesn't notify them or let them find out

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Talking about someone / something without explicitly mentioning it.

Sometimes it's fine (eg you just want to vent without getting into a fight with someone's followers), sometimes it's not (eg you are happy to spread rumours).

For a specific example of this: Jourdain Searles quote tweeted a picture of Song vs. Song podcast and said "The podcast I blocked out here is Song vs. Song, which is a show hosted by an abuser and an enabler of an abuser. the abuser in question emotionally abused me and kissed me without consent and the cohost enables his abuse, even after I told him what happened."

Then once she deletes this she gets plausible deniability and can say "I never said who the offending parties were" which is technically true but you know, don't be loving coy about it. 🙃

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bleck posted:

people get nutty 'bout that anime

I can like Noralities but disagree with their stance on Re:Zero. :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Solitair posted:

Holy poo poo there are a lot of angry responses to this video in particular. Stay mad, weebs.

I can't say she's entirely wrong (modern isekai DEFINITELY is a thinly veiled excuse for authors to get their nut) but geez is she coming off as a whiny hipster. "Why do dumb plebes like popular stuff???"

I will say that I believe that shonen/shojo/etc. terms need to be discarded already. Plenty of women like action-oriented series and plenty of dudes like floofy romance. No need for these outdated gendered labels anymore.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 28, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Solitair posted:

I like how so many of them are near verbatim "omg such a power fantasy, dying multiple times and never getting rewarded for all your heard work" sort of poo poo, which is always the go-to defense. People truck out the same kind of thing if you point out something like gears of war or god of war are power fantasies too, nerds come crawling out of the wood work to go "oh my god, imagine your family dying and having to defend the world from all those monsters and never being respected for it :rolleyes: such a power fantasy, am i rite?" It's this weird super disingenuous thing where they deliberately miss the forest for the trees and decide that's the hill to die on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm admittedly just skimming the first 10 minutes so far, but she's already falling into a bunch of weird pitfalls and misinformation like: thinking that "another world stories" were once the sole purview of shoujo and that a later, unrelated genre arising means that it was taken away, that the two isekai she's watched aimed at women are exceptions instead of parts of large subgenres, and weirdly ascribing both to a nebulous "they" that's smug about having made them when they were just by...their authors? Like ascendance of a bookworm isn't a self-satisfied product of Big Anime, it was by a mom who decided to try at this self-publishing thing.

e: also while I'm certainly not gonna argue that there's a lot of shounen anime and shows chiefly marketed at male otaku, her method of picking a random season and filtering for shoujo and josei and concluding that there's nothing for women is....not the best barometer since for one I can see her filtering out Maidens in the Savage Season right there, a show that's extremely about girls and written by one of the most prominent women in the industry, lol.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 28, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people were even more mad at her video about dragon maid being gross even though it was 100% true, dragon maid loving sucks and that in and of itself sucks because it could've been cool

for the first couple of episodes it's a cute lil yuri anime about a working adult and her live-in maid (dragon), and then kanna's friend starts ruining half the episodes, and then they bring in a child character literally named shouta-kun who is preyed on by the (adult) character he summoned

there's just better stuff out there now but unfortunately the show's coming back and will probably get pushed a lot by most anime youtubers

e: if people like it, whatever, but i just can't recommend it to anyone because of those factors

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 28, 2021

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I like how so many of them are near verbatim "omg such a power fantasy, dying multiple times and never getting rewarded for all your heard work" sort of poo poo, which is always the go-to defense. People truck out the same kind of thing if you point out something like gears of war or god of war are power fantasies too, nerds come crawling out of the wood work to go "oh my god, imagine your family dying and having to defend the world from all those monsters and never being respected for it :rolleyes: such a power fantasy, am i rite?" It's this weird super disingenuous thing where they deliberately miss the forest for the trees and decide that's the hill to die on.

I mean we could ignore how Subaru doesn't have a harem, is called out for his incel poo poo, self loathing, and depictions of other men and women as being better than him without giving him the out of being morally/physically/magically superior. I'm just saying mate there are merits here you're not considering.

The 7th Guest posted:

people were even more mad at her video about dragon maid being gross even though it was 100% true, dragon maid loving sucks and that in and of itself sucks because it could've been cool

for the first couple of episodes it's a cute lil yuri anime about a working adult and her live-in maid (dragon), and then kanna's friend starts ruining half the episodes, and then they bring in a child character literally named shouta-kun who is preyed on by the (adult) character he summoned

there's just better stuff out there now but unfortunately the show's coming back and will probably get pushed a lot by most anime youtubers

e: if people like it, whatever, but i just can't recommend it to anyone because of those factors

The sad part is I do enjoy parts of Dragon Maid just not the face I keep remembering that the author has often drawn loli hentai manga for a living, and said influences keep showing up with the examples you shown and finally Iruru being the capstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only good isekai is the English dubbed version of Garzey's Wing.