Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ferrinus posted:

After that, if it's a priori impossible (or at least totally unheard of) for any existing level of supernal magic to manufacture a soul, then you're out of luck. It's funny, because you'd think that a combination of Prime 5, Fate 5, Mind 5, Spirit 5, and Death 5 could actually conjure a soul directly, since it's those five subtle Arcana that souls are made of, right? But presumably this doesn't work (even for mages who have the staggeringly high Gnosis required to be Masters of five Arcana), and you need some unavailable X-factor (the "Divine Fire", most likely) to actually get a human soul rather than some weird facsimile that maybe looks normal at first but turns out to be the seed for a horror movie after a while.

There's a quote to this effect somewhere but I don't recall whether the original source is a published book (and if it is it's almost certainly 1E) or just some developer statement on the OPP forums or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In the actual Ascension book it was revealed that there is no actual Technocracy high command, just an empty room that the entire rest of the organization is desperately making their best guesses about; these collective imaginings are consolidated into what seem to be orders from on high that the organization then executes. No one's actually in charge; no one actually knows what they're doing; everyone's just blindly following along some combination of their own personal psychoses and material incentives and yet this results in an inescapable, totalizing system of crushing exploitation. So, yeah, a clown like Musk is absolutely an apt face for the Technocracy at large; we like to imagine that somewhere behind him is some sort of serious, ruthless, and coolly competent illuminatus, but nope! It's just guys like that all the way up.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, I think it's perfectly fine to make playable Order of Reason characters. You can play as a Seer in Mage: the Awakening, and more to the point you're allowed to make a regular old World of Darkness character who's a cop or a soldier (and you're allowed to make a D&D character who's a, you know, adventurer), so what's the big deal? And a stance that the OoR is morally equivalent to the Nephandi wouldn't really make sense, either; it's not that they're not as bad (What's "bad"? Are we talking about total reduction of lifespan summed across all affected human beings, level of personal depravity, number of seconds removed from the lifespan of the universe...) they're just different, and certainly more palatable and comprehensible on a character-to-character level.

I actually think the OoR thing is distinct from the Dreamspeaker thing. Dreamspeakers are absolutely a weird and arguably racist kludge that needs to be swallowed with the grain of salt. On the other hand, the OoR are just, you know... the spread of capitalism across the globe. It doesn't matter if your OoR character is personally racist or whatever; capital itself is bigger than of its servants, and its were-wolf hunger for labor outstrips the virtues and vices of any of its agents.

Oh, I agree with this. It's perfectly fine to have an interest in the history of science and the desire to explore it in a fantasy roleplaying game. Likewise, while the Dreamspeakers tradition is historically problematic, I think the material written about them has become more interested in diversity over time, such that it has personally inspired me to become more interested in anthropology. The intersection is how Victorian Mage presents a canonically and ideologically "correct" interpretation for each of them. It would be more interesting to just present them in all of their contradictions and uncomfortably problematic framework and let the reader and player draw their own conclusions. I do think that's sort of what they're going for, but these more explicit passages are kind of a safety net. Ascension is a messy, contradictory gameline and that's its appeal, you don't really need to hedge the text.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 27, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

hot mess incoming

https://twitter.com/TashaRobinson/status/1387153888818696192?s=20

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a quote to this effect somewhere but I don't recall whether the original source is a published book (and if it is it's almost certainly 1E) or just some developer statement on the OPP forums or something.

It's not in any of the books as far as I know. I think that, given the Tremere's deal and the general weirdness of souls, it wouldn't be unfair to say that a multi-degreed Master of the Five Subtle Arcana still can't perfectly replicate a human soul. They would probably have the best position to delve into that Mystery, however! Also, if you're an Archmaster (presumably of Life?) and amoral, you can always use Imperial Magic to change reality and acquire a human being created through your work, but I'm not sure that really serves much purpose - you still have to rip a soul out of a human if you want one. Maybe that should be the problem for standard Mages as well - if they want to create a human soul, they need to create a human for that soul to be in, and it doesn't avoid the moral issue at all. But does let you make a person!

There is the trouble that by default, this person isn't Lasting, I think? Though I suppose if you just create a totally mundane object with magic, and get all the details right, it would be Lasting and get by fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's not in any of the books as far as I know. I think that, given the Tremere's deal and the general weirdness of souls, it wouldn't be unfair to say that a multi-degreed Master of the Five Subtle Arcana still can't perfectly replicate a human soul. They would probably have the best position to delve into that Mystery, however! Also, if you're an Archmaster (presumably of Life?) and amoral, you can always use Imperial Magic to change reality and acquire a human being created through your work, but I'm not sure that really serves much purpose - you still have to rip a soul out of a human if you want one. Maybe that should be the problem for standard Mages as well - if they want to create a human soul, they need to create a human for that soul to be in, and it doesn't avoid the moral issue at all. But does let you make a person!

There is the trouble that by default, this person isn't Lasting, I think? Though I suppose if you just create a totally mundane object with magic, and get all the details right, it would be Lasting and get by fine.

I had a Moros PC in my game that was very interested in the concept of the human soul, and while we threw together a legacy and I made sure it came up as part of play (so did the player), we never settled on answering those specifics. Partly because answering all the questions is lame, and partly because there just weren't good solid answers written down anywhere. And I kind of like it to be that way. The worst/best thing that happened is they accidentally duplicated a soul with time magic messing around. It was something that happened because they were trying to save someone in any way possible (and there may have been a very cranky ochemata involved that was trying to force them into doing something). But! No matter how they tried, they couldn't duplicate the circumstances or succeed in duplicating a soul again. And this character sure had a dark character arch where he tried. It was really a ton of fun, and answering all of the questions would have definitely made it less crazy.

They did end up making androids near the end of the game. They were pretty cool, but functioned somewhat similarly to a familiar would with focuses and areas of expertise instead. I'm just happy we came up with something sufficiently entertaining along the way and if this game had happened 10 years ago I probably wouldn't have known better to say "yes, and" instead of just saying "no".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Vaguely on the topic of the creation of humanity, the secrets of life its reproduction, the "X factor" that catalyzes souls, etc, if you want a good series of films touching on the twin powers of Azoth and Flux, look no further than Ridley Scott's Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Joe Slowboat posted:

Though this does raise a question I find very funny: Can an Archmaster turn a living human into a Promethean?

Well, there's a pretty easy way to turn a living human into a Promethean: apply a hot lead pill first, then do whatever other Demiurges do.

I did double check the PTC2e rulebook for the word "soul," and the interaction between Prometheans and "souls" is not straightforward. They aren't truly soulless, that's a kind of different condition and kind of a different question than what PTC is going for. There's references to Prometheans lacking a soul (e.g. " a Promethean’s nature is alchemical, and Azoth — the ultimate catalyst — burns where their soul should be"), but there's a fair few more references that Prometheans do have a soul, including stuff like the rules text for Azothic Object. My read is that Prometheans have a soul in the same way they have a body: it's there, but it's malformed and insufficient and not what the Promethean wants it to be.

So while I think this is very cool and everything, I think it also means that even if a Mage (or a Demon, who are well positioned to move souls around) could shove a soul into a Promethean, you just have Promethean with two souls.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There's a section on "Matters of the Soul" in Awakening 2e with this sidebar:

I'm generally in favor of stuff like this being "too huge for firm answers from the books, except for flatly denying that there's any such spell as Create Soul (Conjunctional Making)." I'm enthusiastically in favor of any books dealing with this spending like 1k words each for three or five pages of possibilities.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It should be noted, pretty much everything to do with qashmallim and creating Prometheans is outside the realm of things Mages can do, explicitly. The Divine Fire doesn’t cooperate much with mages.

How do the qash and god machine generally interact with each other? I mean, yeah you can just say "they don't" and leave demon and promethean as separate things, which is fine, but I know there's that one promethean (I think their name was actaeon) who was made from some god machine infrastructure (but is specifically not a demon and not actually related back to the god machine in any way other than the source of their body), but I know the qash are specifically different from the angels that the god machine uses so I'm wondering if there are any notable crossovers between the two outside of that aforementioned drone promethean.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Machine, iirc, can’t see them. Like, at all. The qashmallim sometimes help it, sometimes gently caress up its plans.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The sample adventure running through the Promethean 1e supplements infamously ends in Saturnine Night with a scenario explicitly involving a vast clockwork God-Machine beneath Detroit whose gears must be fed a sacrifice. Looking back after having redesigned the God-Machine mythos for Demon, Rose Bailey occasionally references the qashmal from this story as an angel of the God-Machine mistaken for a qashmal.

My personal stock answer inside my head at home is that qashmallim and their constituent Divine Fire are a naturally occuring phenomenon which has been hijacked across space and time by the God-Machine as raw materials to mold into its own angels. After all, we know that the God-Machine prefers to reappropriate preexisting resources rather than expend effort creating them from scratch, both types of angel are numinous beings modelled by the same core system of Influences and Numina which are sent into the world single-mindedly and selflessly dedicated to a particular mission, and the potential for free will and personal evolution seems inextricably baked into the nature of the God-Machine's angels despite these things being deprecated by the general will of the Machine.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

That Old Tree posted:

I'm generally in favor of stuff like this being "too huge for firm answers from the books, except for flatly denying that there's any such spell as Create Soul (Conjunctional Making)." I'm enthusiastically in favor of any books dealing with this spending like 1k words each for three or five pages of possibilities.

Soul creation is an archmastery effect in Awakening, but even then it's something like Death 7, which is the power level needed for "invent new death-related supernatural beings," and might simply be the archmaster fulfilling the conditions that naturally create one in a newborn.

There was a lot of discussion, back when Demon was first created, about how the Machine related to the Principle and how angels related to qashmallim, with various authors and developers having pet theories. It was never fully resolved because Promethean never fully resolved what the Principle is, with (again) various long-term authors writing to their own pet theories. If you're seeing a pattern, you're not imagining it - it's a hallmark of MacFarland's games, and reaches its fullest form in Beast. Although IIRC he himself was in the "The Machine and Principle were the body and mind of the same being before being split, and angels are captured and processed Qashmallim" camp early on. Wood Ingham, who wrote most qashmallim material in 1e, was of the opinion that qashmallim were literal angels. I, who wrote them in 2e, am of the "The Principle doesn't exist, and qashmallim are natural phenomena that *look* like independent beings, but are actually the same thing as Firestorms" persuasion. Fun!

There's the barest hint of it left in the published corebook, but for a hot second Demon came with a "these things have *only just* started to appear" semi-metaplot before it got relegated to a "if you like" sidebar no one has ever followed up on. I tried to do something similar with Deviant, too (that Remade only existed for the last couple hundred years, having an origin in natural science, which would let us do the latecomer thing without being a metaplot) but the Dark Eras 2 team decided that they would make Deviant settings without telling me, so it got ripped out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It seems wrong to pin soul creation at Death 7 since Death is the Arcanum with the most power over the soul (it is after all the only cosmic process which severe a soul from a body, so at the very least the puppet strings of the soul are within Death's remit) but that doesn't mean the substance of the soul itself is. It's like, Death magic can animate a corpse into a zombie but not conjure a causeless corpse. Forces can fly a rock around but not make a rock, etc.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I, who wrote them in 2e, am of the "The Principle doesn't exist, and qashmallim are natural phenomena that *look* like independent beings, but are actually the same thing as Firestorms" persuasion.

Truly the best take of the lot.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Awakening requires you to be an archmaster before you can create souls?

That seems needlessly limiting. In Ascension you can do that with Spirit 5.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Charlz Guybon posted:

Awakening requires you to be an archmaster before you can create souls?

That seems needlessly limiting. In Ascension you can do that with Spirit 5.

It's so that mages who resurrect people are forced to acquire a new one.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It's so that mages who resurrect people are forced to acquire a new one.

That doesn't sound like a resurrection if you're not putting the original soul in the body.

Making new souls or acquiring a new one shouldn't come into it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Charlz Guybon posted:

That doesn't sound like a resurrection if you're not putting the original soul in the body.

There's chances for like "resonance" or "psychic echoes" or whatever, but the soul in CoD is more like a vital organ that supports your ego rather than a piece of your personality itself. You're hosed up if you lose it, but you're still you (at least for a while).

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is a bit esoteric but in Awakening, the soul is not the seat of the self. The soul gives the identity structure (and an Oneiros) and the self can collapse without a soul in place.
If you want a cool story about a Mage getting someone else's soul stuffed into him, read "The Unmurdered Man" by Malcolm Sheppard.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/143174/The-Fallen-World-Chronicle-Anthology

Edit: or watch that simpsons episode where bart sells his soul to Milhouse

Octavo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 28, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

That Old Tree posted:

You make a soul by making a baby, hth Mages

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Froghammer posted:

Oh no, loving, the greatest weakness of any Mage.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Octavo posted:

Edit: or watch that simpsons episode where bart sells his soul to Milhouse

Mind blown!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Froghammer posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anyone remember that episode of So Weird about the guy whose soul left him while he was cryogenically frozen and then he let the dying soul of an old cancer patient inhabit his own empty shell of a body?

That kinda feels like it'd be good inspiration for some promethean-esque stuff though I know prometheans don't just take on other souls, but the idea of realizing that you are an empty shell and making yourself into a new human through soul transfer is neat. I guess that's what a mage would be capable of doing since it is only transferring and not creating souls, though it leaves me wondering what a promethean would feel if they had a soul transplanted into them that way since they'd still have the azoth too, if they'd feel like 2 beings living in and fighting for control over the same body or what.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

It should be noted, pretty much everything to do with qashmallim and creating Prometheans is outside the realm of things Mages can do, explicitly. The Divine Fire doesn’t cooperate much with mages.

Explicitly? Where does it say this?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A Mage could create a Promethean, but he'd be a Demiurge, not any normal Mage.

Edit: Or whatever the correct term for someone who creates a Promethean is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

The Machine, iirc, can’t see them. Like, at all. The qashmallim sometimes help it, sometimes gently caress up its plans.

I really love this in Promethean 2nd. The qashmallim being totally alien and mysterious is one of my favorite things. It leaves so much room for players to think about and search for answers in a campaign, while keeping something in the setting that isn't just something and Mage hasn't bothered to tell you about.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MonsieurChoc posted:

A Mage could create a Promethean, but he'd be a Demiurge, not any normal Mage.

Edit: Or whatever the correct term for someone who creates a Promethean is.

It's Demiurge yeah (genitor if they're a Promethean).

Promethean also has an aside about Mages as Alchemists (non-Prometheans who use Divine Fire tools). There's really nothing stopping a mage from also being an Alchemist, other than the fact that it's higher risk lower reward than doing similar effects through magic.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really love this in Promethean 2nd. The qashmallim being totally alien and mysterious is one of my favorite things. It leaves so much room for players to think about and search for answers in a campaign, while keeping something in the setting that isn't just something and Mage hasn't bothered to tell you about.

Promethean rules, I'm really excited to start up my campaign again soon.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Attempts are being made:
BoLS: 'Vampire: the Masquerade' & The World Of Darkness Is Coming To A TV Near You, Vampires And All.
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2021/04/vampire-the-masquerade-the-world-of-darkness-is-coming-to-a-tv-near-you-vampires-and-all.html

All speculation and no deals made, but who will you cast for your on-screen Beckett?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Tetrabor posted:

Attempts are being made:
BoLS: 'Vampire: the Masquerade' & The World Of Darkness Is Coming To A TV Near You, Vampires And All.
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2021/04/vampire-the-masquerade-the-world-of-darkness-is-coming-to-a-tv-near-you-vampires-and-all.html

All speculation and no deals made, but who will you cast for your on-screen Beckett?

Billy Connolly if we was not old and retired.

I will not explain this choice

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

Attempts are being made:

Richard Ayoade, obviously.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

William H Macy is the Beckett we need.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

William H Macy is the Beckett we need.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Taika Waititi is the Beckett we need.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Richard Roxborough doing a terrible accent is the Beckett we need.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yes

Also yes.

Karl Urban as Beckett.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beckett is played by a different actor every episode. No one ever comments on it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think it'd be cool to use that "A Scanner Darkly" effect for Obfuscate and related abilities (e.g. Nameless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cast Willem Dafoe as a nosferatu