Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Venomous posted:

impact matters far more than intent

Depends what you're talking about, even in a single case. The impact of the smears against Corbyn matters more than the intent in terms of e.g. contributing to Labour losing the election, upsetting people who were convinced by the smears that Labour was actually riddled with anti-Semitism etc.

The intent of the smears matters in analysing where they came from, judging the character of the people using them etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

What did he do I skip past thread drama that I didn't personally cause

He Vitamin Posted.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gonzo McFee posted:

What did he do I skip past thread drama that I didn't personally cause

Had a weird personal grudge against me up to accusing me of gaslighting after I quoted him before he edited out a typo, and has spent the last couple of months generally harrassing me

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

he fell off a ledge and died about three seconds later

dammit kieth

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That can't be the real kieth, he'd only play on a good strong british console like the zx spectrum

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I never noticed before he posted this at 4:20

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Depends what you're talking about, even in a single case. The impact of the smears against Corbyn matters more than the intent in terms of e.g. contributing to Labour losing the election, upsetting people who were convinced by the smears that Labour was actually riddled with anti-Semitism etc.

The intent of the smears matters in analysing where they came from, judging the character of the people using them etc.

To be honest, I've felt pretty consistently that the AS stuff didn't really make a huge difference in the overall voting intention. It gave liberals a "correct" reason to say they weren't voting for Corbyn, but I daresay many of them wouldn't have voted for him anyway. All AS did was give the media an easy topic to hassle Corbyn about rather than giving him space to talk about nationalising sausages.

His whole treatment by the media still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, years later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tomberforce posted:

After years my Tory family is starting to come round to the idea that Johnson is actually a monster but I can't capitalise on it because Keith.

And now you know why Keith.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Butternubs posted:

Not specifically related to this discussion, but as a general statement this is BS. People can read almost any intent into any statement, intent is more important than how people interperate it.

I suck at metaphors but:

When Keith says Corbyn had SS tattoos and wanted to ban bagels, do you take him at face value? People read into it that Corbyn was an anti-semite but we know his intent is to discredit anyone who upsets the status quo.

So apply that in the opposite direction, not everyone is out to get you.

Honestly trying to equivocate people believing smears with people getting offended at a bad taste joke kinda misses the entire point.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kinda like how enthusiastically this thread eats its own tbh. Means you have to stay on your toes and really consider if what you're posting is worth it. Cuts down on the chaff.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I kinda like how enthusiastically this thread eats its own tbh. Means you have to stay on your toes and really consider if what you're posting is worth it. Cuts down on the chaff.

I think the posters that have been thread banned got more than a fair shake and were allowed to continue posting inflammatory garbage for way longer than was maybe appropriate. I mean there is already plenty of headroom for garbage posters (:v:) itt without releasing the hounds imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Flayer posted:

That can't be the real kieth, he'd only play on a good strong british console like the zx spectrum
That was Ed Miliband.

forkboy84 posted:

I never noticed before he posted this at 4:20
And that's why he posted it. He was lit as Balls.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

Stay on your toes? This is ableist, BRING OUT THE WICKER MAN

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be very careful with what I post about monster munch cause now the thread needs a new person to bully out

Rumda posted:

Had a weird personal grudge against me up to accusing me of gaslighting after I quoted him before he edited out a typo, and has spent the last couple of months generally harrassing me

Yeah it was extremely weird.
All that over some incomprehensible meltdown over being quoted

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

That was Ed Miliband.

And that's why he posted it. He was lit as Balls.

That's pretty deep man.

Balls deep

:dadjoke:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be very careful with what I post about monster munch cause now the thread needs a new person to bully out

Yeah it was extremely weird.
All that over some incomprehensible meltdown over being quoted

Na the initial trigger for the big blow up we him thinking that the GICs were a paragon of trans healthcare admired the world over

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oh yeah lol

P even admitted they were wrong about that but couldn't let the quote thing go though

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They were teetering on the edge of a thread ban for a while, let's not pretend this wasn't coming.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ScanlanWithAnA/status/1387115328140873729

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer looks infinitely better with a Billy Connolly goatee thing going on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ITV showed person on the street interviews in hartlepool yesterday evening asking people if boris's flat and his half dozen other scandals this week would influence their vote and two people out of 3 were like NAH HE DESERVES IT HE WORKS HARD AND HE'S DONE A GOOD JOB ISN'T IT LEGEND M8 LOL like that

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah, this is peak Trump, where people won't care about Boris grifting because everyone does.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pmqs was an absolute horror show for Boris.

I know nobody watches it but there isn't a single soundbite that could be spun positively for him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
PMQs appears to have been Keir asking about the flat and Boris asking why he's so bothered about wallpaper. Another forensic dissection

^ admittedly that's based on the guardian blog which always makes it seem like Boris glides through every week

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

the sex ghost posted:

PMQs appears to have been Keir asking about the flat and Boris asking why he's so bothered about wallpaper. Another forensic dissection

^ admittedly that's based on the guardian blog which always makes it seem like Boris glides through every week

No it really is bollocks. No attempt to answer any questions, pre-prepared lines in response and noone gives a poo poo anyway.

The question from some northern Tory MP asking him to congratulate someone about fixing a water leak... it's farcical.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1387369090981969920

Nice meltdown, Boris.

https://twitter.com/DaleyNixon/status/1387369179817209857

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 28, 2021

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
The people of West Yorkshire don't care about curtains

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Move pmqs to a drive time slot and the questions are from unscreened members of the public phoning in

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo he still pulls out the "take back control" line every time he speaks regardless of the question he was supposed to be answering.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/1387338534483374081?s=21

It is quite insane that it’s a bigger offence to say someone lied to parliament than it is to lie to parliament

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

stev posted:

Holy poo poo he still pulls out the "take back control" line every time he speaks regardless of the question he was supposed to be answering.

It's election season, after Starmer all of the pet tory layups were engineered for the PM response to plug the slogans and candidates for the local/mayoral election next week. If anything Johnson somewhat regained composure and labour dug in on the refurb thing for too long

It's fine though because an ex spook is going to clear him of any wrongdoing

https://mobile.twitter.com/tianran/status/1387353211846209536

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

As a strategy, waiting for the government to do a crime, and then making the case for why and how they should be punished is not necessarily the worst. It certainly should be a thing he has plenty of experience of.

The downside is the waiting part; you can’t control the timing of when the crimes get investigated. And if too many people have already given up on you by the time a nice juicy government crime comes out, then you probably won’t turn things around.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/kayes67/status/1387369840793489411

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I'm waiting with my :munch: for the inevitable revelation of Dyson being the money behind BodgeJobs curtains and wallpaper.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The part British journalists seem most genuinely outraged about is that they were rude about John Lewis

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Salisbury Snape posted:

I'm waiting with my :munch: for the inevitable revelation of Dyson being the money behind BodgeJobs curtains and wallpaper.

It's some guy you've probably never heard of but who is worth £271 million and was made a peer in 2019.

Completely unrelated, he gave the Tory Party £714,690 in 2017 (and presumably has given a lot more in other years not listed on wiki). The amount of money that the last few Tory-run governments have funnelled to his business interests is undisclosed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Butternubs posted:

Not specifically related to this discussion, but as a general statement this is BS. People can read almost any intent into any statement, intent is more important than how people interperate it.
As a general statement yes. It doesn't apply to people who are just being disingenuous to wind you up. Pissflaps for example, or Vit P, or on twitter your Marsans and your Rileys. It doesn't apply to the media's treatment of the left either.

In that case I don't know that there's any healthy thing to do except try and ignore them.

I don't think franco in particular is an inherently bad person. Maybe I'm misjudging them. But I wouldn't have typed all of that if I didn't think the post was an exception rather than the norm.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also I feel like I say this every time the press take a Boris scandal seriously but it will never cease to amaze me that Boris could be brought down by filling in the forms wrong over decorating his flat rather than the deaths, corruption or affairs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/28/covid-nhs-app-will-be-used-as-vaccine-passport-for-foreign-travel

quote:

NHS app will be used as Covid ‘vaccine passport’ for foreign travel
Grant Shapps says work has started on app many people already use to book GP appointments

Well I hope they're going to make it compatible with non-smart phones / android 3 or android 4 then. Either that or provide latest up to date smart phones for folk.
So many of these apps these days only work on iRubbish or Android 10 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Hello, I am submitting my application as a writer for Have I Got News For You:

It's curtains for Boris!