Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

If you really are into protecting areas from elephants or just tormenting elephants in general, there are charities that help villages in rural areas get beehives which terrify elephants from interactions with people that might end badly.

These charities almost always use native honeybees too instead of the invasive European honeybees we Americans know and love.

https://elephantsandbees.com/ is the best known one if anyone's interested.

Sorry for the derail, but figured that someone might want to help out.

Don't be fooled. Look at their name.

They just want to take over the world with bees!

Bee Tax:

Ither fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People can still inherit a substantial amount of cash under this proposal, but eliminating step-up will catch 95% of inheritances.

There's probably going to be some sob stories about middle-class people who have owned homes in San Francisco for 50 years and the taxes their kids have to pay for the house now while dealing with their parents death at the same time. Or the disingenuous family farms line, even though this plan would actually incentivize you to not sell the farm.

Re the family farm.

Around 97% of family farms have less than $1 mil in gross income. 90% are less than $350k. (https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/gallery/chart-detail/?chartId=58288)

Inheritance tax already exempts the first 12 million per parent (so up to 24 million can be passed on tax free).

I have a lot of doubts that any of those 97% of family farms with gross income less than $1 million USD have any trouble getting under the $24 million cap. If they do (i.e. less than 5% RoR) then they really need to sell their farm and put everything into broad market index funds because they are pretty crappy farmers.

So, were already talking about very well off groups of people with incomes over a $1million a year when we get into the hypotheticals about the family farm being crippled by estate taxes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i believe democrats called the bluff once on the "family farm" excuse by offering to raise the cap on family farms to, like, a billion while keeping the rest at a normal level

funny, that offer wasn't accepted because as far as anyone can tell a family farm has never been lost to the estate tax

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest incentive people have to selling the family farm is that farming loving sucks and farms are in really boring, bleak rural areas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What percentage of farm acreage in the US is owned by "family farmers" and what percent are owned by ag megacorps?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

See Murgos, 3-posts up. It's an excellent question.
e: acreage. That is also a good question.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the biggest incentive people have to selling the family farm is that farming loving sucks and farms are in really boring, bleak rural areas

Yeah, my wife's family has a farm and it's in the most boring and depressing part of Kentucky possible.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Thom12255 posted:

Yeah, my wife's family has a farm and it's in the most boring and depressing part of Kentucky possible.

That sounds like a pretty competitive category.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Agronox posted:

I did not expect the Biden admin to go this way, treating every problem as a taxing and spending problem, because the only laws you can actually pass are taxing and spending laws.

It seems to be going pretty well! But I hope enough arms can be twisted to be rid of the filibuster anyway before too long...

regressives : Dems just tax and spend!!!

Biden : just tax and spend huh?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Smaller farms also aren't at all profitable anymore. You're lucky to make enough to pay the taxes on it without a absolute ton of effort and expensive equipment.

My family farm still exists at the moment, around 800 acres, but my Dad and Aunt are working on selling it at the moment to fund their retirement and also because if it was passed on to me when they died I'd be selling it immediately. It's really nice and all but it's an hour+ away from my work, 40 minutes from Walmart/Kroger/etc, has no internet options besides satellite, and the schools there are bad. No way in hell would I be moving there so it'd just be a tax and maintenance burden to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1387410382806003718

How about you apologize for stealing two seats and gently caress off to Dairy Queen for you know what

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PhazonLink posted:

regressives : Dems just tax and spend!!!

Biden : just tax and spend huh?

Oh, no, they got the punctuation on this card all screwed up!

quote:

Dems! Just tax! And spend!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like cancel culture is getting to mike lindell as churches turn their back on his message of crack

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Randy Quaid, ladies and gents.

https://twitter.com/randyrrquaid/status/1387123773153947655?s=21

Isn’t he still on the lam in Canada or something?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

What percentage of farm acreage in the US is owned by "family farmers" and what percent are owned by ag megacorps?

Corporate farming is less what people think and more corporations buying produce from a ton of smaller family owned farms.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

generic one posted:

Randy Quaid, ladies and gents.

https://twitter.com/randyrrquaid/status/1387123773153947655?s=21

Isn’t he still on the lam in Canada or something?

I think it got dropped because nobody cares that much about Randy Quaid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is an aside, but is there any textual evidence in Independence Day to suggest that his character was actually previously abducted by the invading aliens vs him just being insane and the aliens being a total coincidence?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

most, the ag megacorp thing is largely a misunderstanding - ag firms don't want to own the land outright or get involved in the actual drudgery of farming

a typical farm in america is owned by a family. that farm may be some really huge ranch or just a few dozen acres of unprofitable dry land. i'm ignoring hobby farms for now

if you're serious about farming, you probably have close to or more than a hundred acres, a barn, and some equipment. on a good year you'll cover your losses and make the equivalent of a decent office job salary. if you're really dedicated and know what you're doing, you can make good money as long as no catastrophes happen. if you're involved with animals at all, you're probably not making as much money

where corporations make their bones is by selling poo poo to farmers and buying the produce. if you're a corn farmer, you buy all your seed from monsanto or some other big ag corp. monsanto will have farms to grow the seed corn but aside from that, nah. large food producers like conagra wont farm directly, they just buy directly from the farmer on contract or from exchanges. like if you were farming for campbells soup, you might have a contract that says "i will sell 10 tons of tomatos on september 1, 2021 at $x per ton" or something like that. or tyson chicken might deliver a bunch of chicks to a guy with a chicken house, and say "we'll be back in six months to get these birds at Y pounds per bird"

so, while nearly every farmer in america is involved with corporate agriculture in some way, the actual farms themselves are most commonly owned and operated by families

my grandpa was a farmer, he has 400 acres of corn and soy land. he farmed it himself and made good money, his net worth is probably over a million because he was diligent at following the money, and has the old great depression brain of frugality. after he retired, his cousin who lived a mile away farmed both plots, and paid my grandpa a cut of the harvest. the land is still being farmed by a branch of the family, but after grandpa passes the farm is going to be sold (probably to distant cousins) because none of my aunts and uncles want to live in the deep midwest and farm for a living - it is hard, nerve-wracking work

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 28, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Corporate farming is less what people think and more corporations buying produce from a ton of smaller family owned farms.

most, the ag megacorp thing is largely a misunderstanding - ag firms don't want to own the land outright or get involved in the actual drudgery of farming

a typical farm in america is owned by a family. that farm may be some really huge ranch or just a few dozen acres of unprofitable dry land. i'm ignoring hobby farms for now

if you're serious about farming, you probably have close to or more than a hundred acres, a barn, and some equipment. on a good year you'll cover your losses and make the equivalent of a decent office job salary. if you're really dedicated and know what you're doing, you can make good money as long as no catastrophes happen. if you're involved with animals at all, you're probably not making as much money

where corporations make their bones is by selling poo poo to farmers and buying the produce. if you're a corn farmer, you buy all your seed from monsanto or some other big ag corp. monsanto will have farms to grow the seed corn but aside from that, nah. large food producers like conagra wont farm directly, they just buy directly from the farmer on contract or from exchanges. like if you were farming for campbells soup, you might have a contract that says "i will sell 10 tons of tomatos on september 1, 2021 at $x per ton" or something like that. or tyson chicken might deliver a bunch of chicks to a guy with a chicken house, and say "we'll be back in six months to get these birds at Y pounds per bird"

so, while nearly every farmer in america is involved with corporate agriculture in some way, the actual farms themselves are most commonly owned and operated by families

Thanks for disabusing me of a false notion!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is an aside, but is there any textual evidence in Independence Day to suggest that his character was actually previously abducted by the invading aliens vs him just being insane and the aliens being a total coincidence?

Not that I recall. In fact, I don't think he ever saw one even during the course of the movie.

edit: He may have. I think he might have met up with Will Smith's character on the way to Area 51 after Will welcomed the alien to earth and Quaid's character was leading the RV convoy. But, I don't recall any conversation that would lead the viewer to believe Quaid's character recognized it.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 28, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

The aliens abused him.

Sexually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Harvesters are a race that seeks to sustain themselves by harvesting the natural resources and cores of planets they attack. They would not be engaged in anal probes or human biology experiments. It is also established that the harvesters are a hivemind that do not send out individual ships on scouting missions. It is possible that Quaid was abducted by a different species of alien (which are established in the sequel).

But looking back after President Whitmore was mind attacked by the alien at Area 51, he talks about how this isn't the first planet that the squid aliens have attacked, that they just go from world to world destroying stuff and consuming resources. That comment shows that not only do the squid aliens exist, there are potentially more types of aliens out there too on those different planets. And just from the behavior shown by the squid aliens, they really don't seem interested in abducting different species to study them or anything, they just want to destroy stuff and consume resources across the universe.

But after Quaid gets abducted, he remembers that he was abducted and that they tinkered with him, but it's all hazy beyond that, like he doesn't remember what the actual aliens looked like. Plus, he was either heavily drinking before being abducted or started after, so his recollection isn't as reliable.

Quaid assumes that the squid aliens are the same ones that abducted him, just because he didn't consider the possibility that there might be two or more extra-terrestrial species out there in the universe. What's ironic is that the squid aliens might have destroyed the home planet of the same ones that abducted him.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 28, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Butts posted:

Not that I recall. In fact, I don't think he ever saw one even during the course of the movie.

Yeah I thought that was pretty much the whole joke of that subplot, that the aliens hadn't ever actually visited since Roswell, and Quaid was just a nut whose day had come.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Come to think about it I don't think there is any proof he had actually been abducted.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

An update post to my edit above, but yea I am almost certain now that Quaid's character helped Smith deliver the unconscious alien to Area 51. I think that's how Smith was able to get across the salt flats, and how he was able to get in (and get the RV caravan into) Area 51. Still, I don't recall anything suggesting that Quaid's character recognized the alien at all.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Per the link I posted 2.5% of commercial farm land is corporate owned ('non-family') which accounts for about 14% of production.

quote:

Gross cash farm income (GCFI) includes income from commodity cash receipts, farm-related income, and Government payments. Family farms (where the majority of the business is owned by the operator and individuals related to the operator) of various types together accounted for nearly 98 percent of U.S. farms in 2019. Small family farms (less than $350,000 in GCFI) accounted for 90 percent of all U.S. farms. Large-scale family farms ($1 million or more in GCFI) make up about 3 percent of farms but 44 percent of the value of production.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

There's nothing in the movie, but the comic adaptation I had in 1996 has a vignette explicitly showing him being abducted and it leading to his alcoholism.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1387368540005707777?s=20

The American Rescue Plan, the American Jobs Plan and the American Families Plan. All of this in the first 3 months of office. Biden is looking pretty handedly like the most progressive president this country has seen since FDR.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Crossposting this response to the news about the proposed IRS budget increase.

Discendo Vox posted:

This budgetary change would be absolutely transformative for every taxpayer, because it’s enough to let the IRS modernize and replace their systems, including the core taxpayer database system, IDRS.

You know ENIAC? IDRS was built on literally the second iteration of ENIAC, and every single IRS function has to be built around compatibility with it. This is a continuous use national mainframe system of cobol and assembly code that’s so old it predates the convention of the enter key as execute and still had reel-to-reel running in some offices at least as late as 2012. Even the most modern, revolutionary internal use tools at IRS have to work with the layer upon layer upon layer of shoestring-budget, desperately maintained intermediary compatibility tools and systems that have built up on top of IDRS for the 60 years of its operation.

If you want just a tiny, tiny taste of what the most actively maintained, public parts of this system are like to use, check out IRS document 6209.

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/2020-document-6209-adp-and-idrs-information

Adequately funding the IRS and removing some of the restrictions that prevent it from, for example, regulating tax preparers, will never get enough attention, but it probably would be the single most important change in government function that Biden would make in his entire career, the most important federal action in the past 50 years.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Vorik posted:

The American Rescue Plan, the American Jobs Plan and the American Families Plan. All of this in the first 3 months of office. Biden is looking pretty handedly like the most progressive president this country has seen since FDR.

Before anyone shits on this I'll remind you that this can both be true and incredibly sad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vorik posted:

Not much competition there, aside from LBJ.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1387419723529392133

WV has actually been killing it on vaccinations, though rates have come down of late like they have everwhere. I think that monetary incentives to get people to get the shot is fine, do whatever it takes. Handing it out in the form of a savings bond is an extremely grandpa strategy though.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

Before anyone shits on this I'll remind you that this can both be true and incredibly sad.

For sure. Looking back at Obama's and Bush's presidency it's kind of mind-blowing just how incredibly conservative this country was just a decade or two ago. Not just in the terms of the presidency either. The Senate as well. It's a miracle we got anything done at all when you look back at all the absolutely awful senators that were in congress back then.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

zoux posted:

Not much competition there, aside from LBJ.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1387419723529392133

WV has actually been killing it on vaccinations, though rates have come down of late like they have everwhere. I think that monetary incentives to get people to get the shot is fine, do whatever it takes. Handing it out in the form of a savings bond is an extremely grandpa strategy though.

I'm loving shocked the WV state government will allow this. Frankly I'm shocked they haven't banned it from their state for being a Soros White Genocide Poison.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Cops ended up killing another man in Alameda, CA, Mario Gonzalez, by kneeling on him for over 5 minutes. Body camera footage was released yesterday.

Basically cops get called for someone who appears to be drunk, asked him to provide id, and attempt to handcuff him when he doesn't provide any. According to the KTVU article linked at the bottom, CA doesn't have a "Papers Please" law and are not required to present officers with ID unless they are driving and need to show a license.

poo poo like this is why we need to restrict the types of calls cops respond to. It seems like all they know how to do is ask for id, and then handcuff. Not every call needs a badge and a gun.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/28/991499650/man-dies-after-alameda-calif-police-pin-him-to-ground-for-several-minutes

quote:

The video begins with the 911 caller telling police dispatch that a man, later identified as Gonzalez, was standing near the caller's home in a small park with no mask and talking to himself.

Police arrive, and for several minutes they speak with Gonzalez, who is standing alone in the park with two baskets filled with bottles next to him. Officers question Gonzalez about drinking in the park and ask for his identification. He appears impaired during the conversation, and some of his answers are barely audible in the video.

Officers then ask Gonzalez multiple times to put his arms behind his back so they can handcuff him. After a struggle, the officers force him to the ground facedown. Gonzalez can be heard yelling and talking unintelligibly as officers pin him to the ground with their arms and knees on his back as they attempt to handcuff him.

One officer pleads, "Mario, please stop fighting us." Another officer can be heard telling his colleague not to put weight on Gonzalez as they keep him facedown on the ground.

After several minutes, Gonzalez goes quiet and doesn't respond to officers calling his name. Immediately, officers turn him over onto his back, check for a pulse and begin CPR.

The Alameda Police Department said officers involved in the altercation with Gonzalez are on paid administrative leave per the department's "standard procedure."

Corroborating articles:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/27/alameda-releases-video-showing-police-pin-mario-gonzalez-to-the-ground-before-his-death/
https://www.ktvu.com/news/body-cam-video-shows-alameda-officer-kneeling-on-mario-gonzalez-before-death

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I'm loving shocked the WV state government will allow this. Frankly I'm shocked they haven't banned it from their state for being a Soros White Genocide Poison.

Jim Justice is the richest man in WV and I guess he just doesn't give a gently caress because compared to the other super red states, West Virginia had far and away the best COVID response. He was more like Hogan running MD than the other Trump hugging governors like Noem, DeSantis, and Abbott who made it into a political issue. I'm not super familiar with WV politics, I just recall being often surprised at the reasonableness of that state's response when compared what one would expect out of West Virginia.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1387368540005707777?s=20

Well only one of these is actually passed so far. I hope the other ones do too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Justice also ran as a democrat originally for governor (then switched during the trump admin) so he's kind of an odd duck politically in a number of ways I confess to not at all understanding. He makes much more sense in the Republican party (especially given that he is a WV officeholder) but he also has tense relationships with the rest of the republican party as a result of originally running as a democrat, while also not caring about their opinion very much because he ran as a democrat and won, even if he then flipped parties, so he doesn't really fear them.

All in all it makes for very odd politics.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

zoux posted:

Jim Justice is the richest man in WV and I guess he just doesn't give a gently caress because compared to the other super red states, West Virginia had far and away the best COVID response. He was more like Hogan running MD than the other Trump hugging governors like Noem, DeSantis, and Abbott who made it into a political issue. I'm not super familiar with WV politics, I just recall being often surprised at the reasonableness of that state's response when compared what one would expect out of West Virginia.

It makes a lot more sense to think of him as alt-reality Manchin - he's from the same political lineage, but changed the letter next to his name without meaningfully changing his views. There's been somewhat recent scuttlebutt about Justice and Manchin swapping spots, and while I think it's far from reliable information, it at least is believable because both sides of that trade would view it as preserving their legacy

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/lung_disease_mortality/lung_disease.htm

Someone understood they really needed to dive on this.

Plus WV is one of the few states that have dedicated pulmonary rehabilitation clinics for their citizens, and everyone there is either themselves or knows someone dying of a chronic respiratory illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's funny in that article is the couple of grafs on what other states/institutions are doing as incentives

quote:

On Monday, Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D) announced that adults can get a free drink at certain restaurants if they show their vaccination card. The incentive program, which will run for nearly two weeks next month, is a partnership between the state and the Connecticut Restaurant Association and is set to begin May 19, when state’s business restrictions are scheduled to be lifted, state officials said.

Wayne State University in Detroit has told vaccinated students they’ll get $10 added to their student accounts. The University of North Carolina at Greensboro gave students a chance to win money toward textbooks or a grant covering housing costs for an entire academic year. The University of Iowa announced it will offer a gift card for the Iowa City downtown district for those who show their vaccination card.

Krispy Kreme announced to both widespread celebration and criticism that it would give a free doughnut per day to anyone showing proof of a shot, and Budweiser is offering a round to anyone who’s gotten the vaccination.

:geno: