Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Farm Frenzy posted:

theres probably more mid budget poo poo being made right now than at any point in the latst 30 years but its all netflix movies that look and feel like a lets play of gears of war

im convinced all the budgets on the weird netflix/prime movies that totally suck go to actors salaries, but there's no residuals. so the movie has no money on the back end for editing or shooting days, just buys some star power, and moves on. not too dissimilar from all the romcoms that were everywhere in the 90s-2000s and were immediately forgotten, i guess

there's always going to be great gems here and there like prospect or coherence or aniara or high life, or all the fun stuff scott adkins pumps out, but there is just so much poo poo with A-listers that absolutely stinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/janeschoenbrun/status/1387415629133721602?s=20

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Isnt nomadland just about how america is special and perfect even if youre A Poor

if you think about it living out of a van really encapsulates the american Pioneer Spirit

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

if you think about it living out of a van really encapsulates the american Pioneer Spirit

Is that seriously what that movie is about?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It's like that magical movie Into the Wild

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

:kheldragar:L O N G L I V E T H E N E W F L E S H:kheldragar:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Is that seriously what that movie is about?

yeah at one point they very explicitly say it. it probably wouldnt be so bad with a lighter touch, but instead it just wanted the aesthetics of a Kelly Reichardt-type film but with all the sentimentality that the academy loves

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mameluke posted:

Isnt nomadland just about how america is special and perfect even if youre A Poor

the movie is about how people with full time (relatively well-paying for entry level!) jobs live in their loving cars idk how anyone can come away with this impression

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

yeah at one point they very explicitly say it. it probably wouldnt be so bad with a lighter touch, but instead it just wanted the aesthetics of a Kelly Reichardt-type film but with all the sentimentality that the academy loves

Jesus Christ

indigi posted:

the movie is about how people with full time (relatively well-paying for entry level!) jobs live in their loving cars idk how anyone can come away with this impression

You do realize that poo poo like this is often portrayed in news media as a positive, so yes a movie going in the schmaltz of that idea can easily be seen as not a negative

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

stroszek, but instead through stoic fortitude and unshakable hope, he drives off into the horizon with his frozen turkey

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah you gotta remember that nomadland exists in the context of a country where “INSPIRING: single father of 6, veteran, walks 40 miles every morning and night to his minimum wage grocery bagger job because he can’t afford a car” is a news story genre that gets pushed on every local network at least four times a week

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

remember this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMOBlEcRuw8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the pursuit of a penis. lol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I can't imagine that Nomadland won't age really terribly in even just a few years as things continue to get worse and people quickly get sick of faux-inspirational third way poo poo like they did under Obama

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

idk what movie you watched, it definitely didn't come off as "inspirational"

it was a fine movie, but like another poster said, kelly reichardt does it better, or debra granik's LEAVE NO TRACE is another good one in the same vein

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The Oscars are boring and only worth it for the one Winner that gets people mad. Like Hopkins beating Boseman, Parasite beating Joker, Shape of Water beating Dunkirk and the Moonlight/La La Land fuckup
The Sixth Sense got snubbed due to racism.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

idk what movie you watched, it definitely didn't come off as "inspirational"

it was a fine movie, but like another poster said, kelly reichardt does it better, or debra granik's LEAVE NO TRACE is another good one in the same vein

being penniless, as i understand it, actually sucks and does not include a melancholy romance with a hot old man like david strathairn, and does not actually come with a spiritually empowering community of road seniors

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mameluke posted:

being penniless, as i understand it, actually sucks and does not include a melancholy romance with a hot old man like david strathairn, and does not actually come with a spiritually empowering community of road seniors

yeah poor people never fall in love or make friends (??)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It does come with trying to figure out feasible ways to poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I watched mulholland drive last night. twice.

AMA

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I watched mulholland drive last night. twice.

AMA

lynch's sense of humor and general comedic sensibility is v underrated, true or false

best of his films by far, love it so much, one of the goats of this century

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think the gooniest thing I can say is "I didn't realize MH and Donnie Darko came out in the same year."

MH is pretty funny and Naomi Watts is amazing in it. I most strongly identify with the dirt faced hobo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I also watched this in between viewings:

https://youtu.be/OiCfHW3N3vo

so that was helpful and intriguing.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I think the gooniest thing I can say is "I didn't realize MH and Donnie Darko came out in the same year."

MH is pretty funny and Naomi Watts is amazing in it. I most strongly identify with the dirt faced hobo.

angelo badalementi spitting his coffee out, the older couple riding in the taxi after meeting naomi watts, the billy ray cyrus scene, the cowboy, the botched hit...... lotta laughs for me throughout

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

so tired of marvel, but hey at least it’s going to continue dominate cinema (and tv?) for the foreseeable future

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1387423868160196619?s=21
https://twitter.com/minovskyarticle/status/1387452550157410308?s=21

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1378739171016196096?s=19

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

zerocool megapecs

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ha-HA! Please don't suck

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

there's a great thread by I think kelly turnbull on twitter where she breaks down that cover, and essentially outlines how liefeld is trying to copy bodybuilder 3/4 photographs where they twist and flex their upper body to show off as much for the camera as possible, but he has such a dogshit understanding of the human body that it just completely falls apart

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its okay for guys to have big boobs though

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Its okay for guys to have big boobs though

All Cups Are Beautiful

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
rob liefeld rules

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/islamphobiacow/status/1387406373877686276?s=20

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ironically the only guy you could trust in Alpha Protocol too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The more I look at this, its the placement of the shield that fucks things up.

Because without the shield, yeah, its Arnie.