Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Reincarnated as Sword- Literally what it says on the tin. Granted, they get themselves stuck in the ground in an area that drains MP so they're trapped there and only happen to be freed by an enslaved catgirl. And their first move is to kill the save her by killing the slavers and shredding the contract. He has not stopped being a sword at all in the story so don't worry about that.

It's also key to note that this one is nicknamed "Sword Dad" for a reason. His relationship to the heroine is very much a protective and caring father than anything untoward. The manga version even emphasizes this in a cute way by framing any shots that would be fanservice with her in ways where he blocks the viewer.

I liked Ascendance of a Bookworm until the story went into indentured servitude of children. Even if it's the protagonist doing the best she can for them in a lovely world, it's still her having child slaves which is gross. I'm not confident the story is going anywhere with it either because the protagonist doesn't seem to see it as wrong.

There's also a woman implied to be the victim of sexual assault and the "treatment" the story gives her is also putting her into indentured labor so "she doesn't have to think about it."

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saga of Tanya the Evil is the only isekai (at least in the modern sense of the genre term) I've ever really been able to stomach. Really helps that it appears to be building to some sort of point in the way it handles its particular type of power fantasy. Plus it's an honest series, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sword dad is like 95% good wholesome adventuring and slaver-murdering fun. I hear there is a positively repulsive character in the LN that will hopefully get excised entirely from the manga version though, adaptations tend to purge the more skeevy aspects of LN's/WN's so hopefully this one does.

Then there's spider isekai which is insanely tropey in some ways and not at all tropey in others.

Oh, and Devil Is A Part-Timer, where Satan from another world gets transported to Tokyo and has to work at McDonald's to survive because he lost his powers, but the hero chases him to our world, only to also lose her powers and be forced to work at a call center.

I guess the LN for it ended relatively recently and people were losing their poo poo over the ending ruining the entire series or some poo poo, idk.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 28, 2021

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's also key to note that this one is nicknamed "Sword Dad" for a reason. His relationship to the heroine is very much a protective and caring father than anything untoward. The manga version even emphasizes this in a cute way by framing any shots that would be fanservice with her in ways where he blocks the viewer.

I liked Ascendance of a Bookworm until the story went into indentured servitude of children. Even if it's the protagonist doing the best she can for them in a lovely world, it's still her having child slaves which is gross. I'm not confident the story is going anywhere with it either because the protagonist doesn't seem to see it as wrong.

They’re orphans being taken care of by the chuch, but the church doesn't have enough money to feed them and most of the priests don't give a poo poo so she has to come up with a solution that'll stop them from starving. The only practical way to do that was to have them help out mass-producing her books, which isn't a perfect solution but at least they won't die, and she also teaches them to read and write so they'll have better prospects for the future. Your description makes it sound like she just kidnapped a bunch of children off the street or something.

And as for the other thing, I can't comment on that as the anime hasn't gotten to that part yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I did omit some details for brevity but there's also the fact those kids probably aren't going anywhere due to how class based their society is. Myne is super privileged to have the vertical movement she does and the kids probably won't be so lucky even if they can read and write.

If you're just watching the anime you also miss Myne's full thought process where she justifies the whole thing to herself when it's obvious she knows it's skeevy.
She's also seven and despite her privilege probably limited in what she can do.

Though given some of the oddities of the worldbuilding it's possible the author themself hasn't thought of the full ramifications.

Like it's barely acknowledged that Myne reincarnated by stealing someone else's life even in the LNs. They never say what happened to the original.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 28, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mokinokaro posted:

There's also a woman implied to be the victim of sexual assault and the "treatment" the story gives her is also putting her into indentured labor so "she doesn't have to think about it."

Ascendance of the bookworm is just one of the few works that is willing to acknowledge that a medieval fantasy world might have a different set of morals than modern society, that the protagonist isn't magically going to change the viewpoint of everybody, and even if she tries to force the issues, there are consequences she is unable to deal with. She doesn't have the funds to directly feed the kids. Even if she did, things would go right back to the terrible conditions they were before as soon as she leaves her position. Its taking the moral high ground versus reducing actual human suffering. I think the fact that it forces the protagonist to deal with such issues is what makes the story interesting.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1387130308521234433?s=20

Bob being notable for correctly judging social interaction to the point where Linday Ellis Soft-blocking him 5 times didn't ram the point home.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

] I think the fact that it forces the protagonist to deal with such issues is what makes the story interesting.

See my issue with it is that it really doesn't have Myne engage with that much. She just decides to put the kids to work without thinking too much on it.

I just find it a weakness of the writing that Myne never really has second thoughts or doubts for long. It makes her hard to empathize with.

I don't think the series is terrible or anything. I just think it doesn't quite hit the potential it has.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Srice posted:

Saga of Tanya the Evil is the only isekai (at least in the modern sense of the genre term) I've ever really been able to stomach. Really helps that it appears to be building to some sort of point in the way it handles its particular type of power fantasy. Plus it's an honest series, too.

Tanya is sooo good. Sucks they never made a second season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Tanya is sooo good. Sucks they never made a second season.

At least the movie was pretty solid! I'm hopeful that there will be more, someday.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tackling the major issues of our day.

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1386416288428269568?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unaccountable corporations silencing left voices is a huge issue with online platforms. The reason we never hear about it relative to right-wing “free speech” nonsense is that nobody is spending billions to make leftist posters part of a sustained propaganda campaign to preserve the status quo/end democracy.

See also “cancellation” as what happens to people supporting bds vs nazi freaks on twitter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

The show would have been significantly better if they actually parted ways after that instead of reuniting less than a season later. Even if guys like Subaru get better they can't while continuing to pursue the person they were obsessing over.

This is where convention holds back from things I might find interesting. No, I have not watched Re:Zero but making that fuckup she talks about in the video a pivotal moment that just ends that relationship would have been a pretty bold step. But unfortunately that goes against selling merchandise if you write your female love interest out of the story because the protag went off the deep end with an incel rant.

What anime and fiction in general could be is often the exception to what it is allowed to be. And falling back on convention can undermine the stories you're trying to tell, which kinda sucks.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Does Escaflowne still count as an isekai? Because I remember Escaflowne being good, I might watch it again and see if it holds up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is good and the yoko Kanno soundtrack is great.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The only good isekai is the one where a fujoshi is reincarnated and gets to work improving standards of life and promoting literacy all for the goal of getting people to love BL. Sadly the original author got run over by a truck so it's probably never getting finished.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean i know others called with LONG before now. but i am sorta saddened she went down this road because she made good points about stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Not a single mention of Magic Knight Rayearth. Or Space Jam. Tsk tsk.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Hel posted:

The only good isekai is the one where a fujoshi is reincarnated and gets to work improving standards of life and promoting literacy all for the goal of getting people to love BL. Sadly the original author got run over by a truck so it's probably never getting finished.

drat you truck-kun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if space jam is to be believed, the looney tunes world is inside the hollow earth underneath a golf course and only protected by a large rubber WB logo, so it's not quite an isekai

michael jordan isn't even killed or reincarnated smh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we count Hollow Earth stories as Isekai then that makes Gears of War and Iron Sky isekai.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
BadEmpanada on Breadtube and various other topics like patreon and streaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZAX81vLI80

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

The weird thing is... the rest of the thread she's Actually Making Good Points before taking a hard swerve into FREE SPEECH that's just... what??

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1386416279360131072

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1386416281830584328

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1386416284145840131

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't see how she's far wrong? By and large it's creators on the left who are actually getting their speech curtailed. Not the right-wing ones who complain about it from their massive platforms. The people who have hijacked free speech are the ones least affected by it.

I mean, I'm not comfortable with Google as moderators for this poo poo. They're not good actors. To give this power over to a corporation whose main question is always going to be "can we make money from this?" IS bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kamrat posted:

it's weird to see a rant video where hbomberguy is in the thumbnail because he is probably the least troublesome youtuber in that whole group... he picks easy targets like ben shapiro and doesn't punch down

and also only puts out a video twice a year

i also doubt he sees himself as a super important person, he did a video where he ate sonic the hedgehog curry

e: i wanted to keep an open mind about this video, but i don't really understand his premise, where he says that people view breadtube as political saviors/messiahs that will deradicalize the internet... when have any of these people claimed that? or people in general... what discussions is he looking at? breadtube is constantly criticized and scrutinized for even milquetoast videos. and he thinks people donate to breadtube patreons because it causes meaningful change? i'm jim carrey in that truman show gif

e: e: i skipped ahead a bit, and he's mad that contrapoints makes $50k/m on Patreon (which I believe he's guesstimating based on his own patreon's average per person and extrapolating it to her patron count) and thinks she shouldn't have that much money and that people shouldn't donate to her because of that. i don't really care about contrapoints videos anymore, for obvious reasons, but it feels weird to police people on donating to the creators they like... as if they're impressionable children being suckered. no, they know what they're doing with their money, and it's often just a couple of bucks per person, or even just a buck

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 28, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Didn’t contra leave twitter

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i know others called with LONG before now. but i am sorta saddened she went down this road because she made good points about stuff.

you don't need to agree but it really shouldn't be considered a morally disqualifying take to think that giving corps a sweeping mandate to police content arbitrarily in the name of fighting right-wing radicals will inevitably be used threefold against left-wing voices.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Unaccountable corporations silencing left voices is a huge issue with online platforms. The reason we never hear about it relative to right-wing “free speech” nonsense is that nobody is spending billions to make leftist posters part of a sustained propaganda campaign to preserve the status quo/end democracy.

See also “cancellation” as what happens to people supporting bds vs nazi freaks on twitter.

She's far from the only one still pushing this point, but man, you really would think that the Trump era would have shaken the whole idea of norms out of people. If Google decides to go against leftists, or frankly anyone, they won't be stopped by you pointing out their hypocrisy. They won't respect the game, because there's no referee. Just like always it would come down to people flexing whatever power they have to try and stop it.

I'm rewatching Nathan For You and all that's coming into my head is the 2-inch pizza sketch. They have a pizza delivery place promise 8-minute delivery or you'll get a free pizza, but the "free pizza" is the smallest pizza they can make and still call a pizza. During the training he prepares the poor delivery driver with a roleplay

"And they'll say 'Oh, this isn't what I thought you meant by free pizza. This is much, much smaller. But I understand and respect that legally this is correct and will happily accept it from you.' And that's surely how it will go"

Kim Justice posted:

I don't see how she's far wrong? By and large it's creators on the left who are actually getting their speech curtailed. Not the right-wing ones who complain about it from their massive platforms. The people who have hijacked free speech are the ones least affected by it.

I mean, I'm not comfortable with Google as moderators for this poo poo. They're not good actors. To give this power over to a corporation whose main question is always going to be "can we make money from this?" IS bad.

It's more that it's painfully naive to think that FREE SPEECH! will matter with the corporations. As she's literally showing, they'll find new and inventive ways to be terrible and you can't force advertisers to support content. Unless you're sincerely arguing for a government-run platform then it's a bad point. The person with their finger on the button isn't going to spare LGBT content because they left a right-wing channel alone.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was with her up until “and that’s why we shouldn’t deplatform fascists”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

it's weird to see a rant video where hbomberguy is in the thumbnail because he is probably the least troublesome youtuber in that whole group... he picks easy targets like ben shapiro and doesn't punch down

and also only puts out a video twice a year

i also doubt he sees himself as a super important person, he did a video where he ate sonic the hedgehog curry

e: i wanted to keep an open mind about this video, but i don't really understand his premise, where he says that people view breadtube as political saviors/messiahs that will deradicalize the internet... when have any of these people claimed that? or people in general... what discussions is he looking at? breadtube is constantly criticized and scrutinized for even milquetoast videos. and he thinks people donate to breadtube patreons because it causes meaningful change? i'm jim carrey in that truman show gif
Pretty bold of a guy who is literally just making oldstyle Shaun videos to be upset about Breadtube. The only difference here is viewcount. Oh and some unfortunate loving titling for a Uyghur video.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

I was with her up until “and that’s why we shouldn’t deplatform fascists”

I wouldn't characterise her that uncharitably, but even my charitable reading of 'hey maybe we shouldn't trust corporations with deplatforming right-wingers because they could screw us over' is still dangerous amounts of cluelessness at best and disingenuousness at worst. Did she not learn anything from Youtube and Twitter and how they don't give a poo poo about literal nazis making a profit off their platforms as long as they aren't personally affected (like Alex Jones literally harassing Jack Dorsey lmao)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pachylad posted:

I wouldn't characterise her that uncharitably, but even my charitable reading of 'hey maybe we shouldn't trust corporations with deplatforming right-wingers because they could screw us over' is still dangerous amounts of cluelessness at best and disingenuousness at worst. Did she not learn anything from Youtube and Twitter and how they don't give a poo poo about literal nazis making a profit off their platforms as long as they aren't personally affected (like Alex Jones literally harassing Jack Dorsey lmao)

uhh what you just said is a strong argument for why youtube shouldn't be given too much power over censorship. no matter how stringent the rules are they will always be relaxed about enforcing the rules against right-wing extremism because it doesn't hurt their bottom line. do you know what does hurt their bottom line? communism.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Augus posted:

uhh what you just said is a strong argument for why youtube shouldn't be given too much power over censorship. no matter how stringent the rules are they will always be relaxed about enforcing the rules against right-wing extremism because it doesn't hurt their bottom line. do you know what does hurt their bottom line? communism.

But what do you mean about giving them power. The ability to control what's on their platform is the most basic power that they have. Taking that away would require nationalizing them or at least making them a utility.

I'm pretty sure that they've been doing the game of flagging LGBT content as problematic for advertisers for far longer than anyone was deplatforming right-wingers. You aren't negotiating with them. You can't trade InfoWars coming back in return for allowing mental health channels to monetize easier.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Augus posted:

Ah apologies I think I was unclear: what I mean is that Contra seems to be implying that said platforms have been targeting right-wingers on similar levels to left-wingers and she thinks that liberals/lefties have been tolerating this.

Does this make sense?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I agree that corps suck hut what does all that actually mean as politics? Legislating against content moderation and age-gating entirely?

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 28, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The 7th Guest posted:

if space jam is to be believed, the looney tunes world is inside the hollow earth underneath a golf course and only protected by a large rubber WB logo, so it's not quite an isekai

michael jordan isn't even killed or reincarnated smh

Michael Jordan had to be summoned there by Bugs, suggestion you can't actually find the place unless the denizens of the world summon you. Bill Murray is able to get there without being summoned, however he explains that he was was dropped off by some teamsters, as he was friend with the producer of the movie, implying the he had to be transported there by some means meaning he couldn't just walk right in either.

Wayne Knight goes in without help from an outside party like Bill and without being summoned like Michael, which would imply the entrance to the Toon World is right beneath the surface. However, he's only able to get there after seeing Bugs and Daffy go back through the golf hole they entered, implying he was able to only access it by following beings who can get in and out of the Toon World, possibly getting there before the portal closes behind them.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The jerk answer here would be "Its just toons mate, dont overthink it."
But I'd be lying if I didn't do that same analyzing the logic of looney toons world myself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is good and the yoko Kanno soundtrack is great.

Are the rumors about her copyrighting other stuff true though?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
do you people not care about free speech because right wing people also like it or something lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pachylad posted:

Ah apologies I think I was unclear: what I mean is that Contra seems to be implying that said platforms have been targeting right-wingers on similar levels to left-wingers and she thinks that liberals/lefties have been tolerating this.

Does this make sense?

no, it doesn't make sense to read it that way.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But what do you mean about giving them power. The ability to control what's on their platform is the most basic power that they have. Taking that away would require nationalizing them or at least making them a utility.

I'm pretty sure that they've been doing the game of flagging LGBT content as problematic for advertisers for far longer than anyone was deplatforming right-wingers. You aren't negotiating with them. You can't trade InfoWars coming back in return for allowing mental health channels to monetize easier.

Motto posted:

I agree that corps suck hut what does all that actually mean as politics? Legislating against content moderation and age-gating entirely?

there is an ongoing push for federal legislation to empower platform holders to police content.
it becoming popular, widely accepted, and even enshrined in the law of the land for corporations to wield these immense powers unchecked is not a good thing.
now that Biden is in office there's a huge trend of people deciding they don't need to be wary or suspicious of power anymore because "the good guys" are in charge and we should just let them do their jobs and protect us. people should be pointing out how bad of an idea that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Kamrat posted:

empanada ftw