Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure that airlines have given up on screening flyers and I'm pretty sure flights to and from India are on as normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

even if COVID is eliminated, there are many other diseases prevented by these measures, so it’s a moral imperative that the current masking, social distancing, and stay at home orders be made the new normal perpetually

wife had a patient die late last week who was fully vaccinated. took them down quickly too

they're currently trying to determine if it was a variant that's immune to the mrna vaccines or what, the CDC got involved real fast apparently

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I haven't had so much as a mild one-day cold since last February which is pretty nice. maybe they could do some messaging around that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

I haven't had so much as a mild one-day cold since last February which is pretty nice. maybe they could do some messaging around that.
Sorry, it's time to open up your cells again.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wife had a patient die late last week who was fully vaccinated. took them down quickly too

they're currently trying to determine if it was a variant that's immune to the mrna vaccines or what, the CDC got involved real fast apparently

cool

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everyone who told me i was being a doomer when i said there are variants that just walk right past the vaccine can go and gently caress themselves completely

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
idk why that’s surprising though

it’s not like vaccines make you 100% immune, especially if you become immunocompromised

not saying the cdc shouldn’t investigate though obviously but there’s always gonna be outliers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Chris Knight posted:

what's up, buck?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk why that’s surprising though

it’s not like vaccines make you 100% immune, especially if you become immunocompromised

not saying the cdc shouldn’t investigate though obviously but there’s always gonna be outliers

it isn't surprising, but there's a certain contingent of people who seem dead-set on finding the absolute worst interpretation and take on everything imaginable to justify their own hosed-up bullshit

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm absolutely ok with never being forced to water cooler chat again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he’ll yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah she said all the staff are real freaked out, she apparently didn't hafta directly interact with this one at least (they've been doing the ipad video conferencing thing where possible)

the current speculation is that it might not've been a variant and this patient just wasn't effectively vaccinated, but there's nothing concrete yet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

went to the dentist for the first time in over a year. I chipped the side of my back molar pretty badly last december and just rolled with it because I was pretty sure the toothpaste I'm using would seal it up for me. Chip when down even to the root a bit and he spent over a minute prodding at it trying to get me to flinch in pain or something before giving up and just agreeing to polish off the sharp edge instead of doing a filling. novamin rules

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah she said all the staff are real freaked out, she apparently didn't hafta directly interact with this one at least (they've been doing the ipad video conferencing thing where possible)

the current speculation is that it might not've been a variant and this patient just wasn't effectively vaccinated, but there's nothing concrete yet

Apparently Chile's issue right now is that everyone was told it was fine and dandy to go do their summer holiday stuff before a critical mass of citizens were vaccinated and people went and did just that. Good thing that'd never happen here.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm pretty sure that airlines have given up on screening flyers and I'm pretty sure flights to and from India are on as normal

50 passengers on a flight from india to hk just tested positive on arrival despite requiring a negative test result to be presented on departure

given a multi day incubation they probably didn’t catch it on the plane

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

everyone who told me i was being a doomer when i said there are variants that just walk right past the vaccine can go and gently caress themselves completely

there's not really evidence for that though. covid sucks so much because our bodies generally haven't seen anything like it and your immune system's response to it can be so severe that it ends up killing you. once you've either been vaccinated or had it your body figures out what to do with it and the mortality rate becomes tiny. yeah, it's probably going to keep circulating and mutating because we're not vaccinating fast enough to stomp it out properly, and people with vaccinations will start to become more susceptible to infection after a year or so when the antibodies start falling off but at that point its just another thing that floats around during cold/flu season

mystes
May 31, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

there's not really evidence for that though. covid sucks so much because our bodies generally haven't seen anything like it and your immune system's response to it can be so severe that it ends up killing you. once you've either been vaccinated or had it your body figures out what to do with it and the mortality rate becomes tiny. yeah, it's probably going to keep circulating and mutating because we're not vaccinating fast enough to stomp it out properly, and people with vaccinations will start to become more susceptible to infection after a year or so when the antibodies start falling off but at that point its just another thing that floats around during cold/flu season
Are you seriously saying that the efficacy of current vaccines is not affected by mutations in current covid variants? LMAO

You might want to look at how effective AZ is against P.1 in this chart. (Note that P.1 isn't widespread in the US and the US isn't using AZ, but it just shows how wrong it is to make a claim about efficacy of vaccines against variants in general).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

isn’t 63% still pretty good for a vaccine?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

glad to be a Pfizer man

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Fool posted:

glad to be a Pfizer man

weird way to announce your erectile dysfunction but ok

mystes
May 31, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

isn’t 63% still pretty good for a vaccine?
I didn't say Pfizer. Please try again.

Even 63% is really not very good though, considering that the vaccines we're using in the US have >90% efficacy against the strains we have in the US right now though, and considering the percentage of the population that's vaccinated. If P.1 becomes widespread in the US we're pretty hosed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 28, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

Even 63% is really not very good though, considering that the vaccines we're using in the US have >90% efficacy against the strains we have in the US right now though, and considering the percentage of the population that's vaccinated. If P.1 becomes widespread in the US we're pretty hosed.

63% would be a pretty successful vaccine actually, if not overwhelmingly amazing

this is not to be taken as a defense of anyone or anything

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

how much of this horse poo poo could be avoided if they were just called vaccine A, B, and C instead

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

63% would be a pretty successful vaccine actually, if not overwhelmingly amazing

this is not to be taken as a defense of anyone or anything
I mean yeah, 63% (and 70% protection against developing symptoms) is much better than nothing but it means that almost half of people who are exposed are still going to transmit it to other people and if only 40% of the population is vaccinated in the first places that is very loving not good.

The 10% efficacy of AZ against P.1 is just loving horrible though. (Again, before anyone freaks out, this doesn't affect the US because we aren't using AZ and right now there's almost no P.1 in the US).

Anyway, my main point was just to say that variants are already affecting the efficacy of the vaccines and new variants are guaranteed to continue to occur before it would be possible to vaccinate most of the world in the most optimistic scenario, so it's a huge mistake to think that everyone is just automatically protected for a year regardless of variants.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ces is on for january 2022 lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

went to the dentist for the first time in over a year. I chipped the side of my back molar pretty badly last december and just rolled with it because I was pretty sure the toothpaste I'm using would seal it up for me. Chip when down even to the root a bit and he spent over a minute prodding at it trying to get me to flinch in pain or something before giving up and just agreeing to polish off the sharp edge instead of doing a filling. novamin rules

did he do the "freeze test"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mystes posted:

I mean yeah, 63% (and 70% protection against developing systems) is much better than nothing but it means that almost half of people who are exposed are still going to transmit it to other people and if only 40% of the population is vaccinated in the first places that is very loving not good.

The 10% efficacy of AZ against P.1 is just loving horrible though. (Again, before anyone freaks out, this doesn't affect the US because we aren't using AZ and right now there's almost no P.1 in the US).

Anyway, my main point was just to say that variants are already affecting the efficacy of the vaccines and new variants are guaranteed to continue to occur before it would be possible to vaccinate most of the world in the most optimistic scenario, so it's a huge mistake to think that everyone is just automatically protected for a year regardless of variants.

AZ is used all around the world though, meaning as we all know that there will continue to be variants brewing that the other vaccines may not be able to protect against

graph posted:

ces is on for january 2022 lol

worst part about writing about tech was going to CES (actually it was E3...the smell...but CES was close). and i would always try and make sure people would get vaccinated for the flu before going because you ALWAYS got sick at CES if you didn't, i swear to god

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Truman Peyote posted:

how much of this horse poo poo could be avoided if they were just called vaccine A, B, and C instead

i follow a couple small streamers and one night last week there was a heated debate because evidently moderna is giving people blood clots!

We're so hosed

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mediaphage posted:

worst part about writing about tech was going to CES (actually it was E3...the smell...but CES was close)

as soon as yos favorite joanna was reassigned she went to twitter and said thank god she never had to go ever again haha

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

Are you seriously saying that the efficacy of current vaccines is not affected by mutations in current covid variants? LMAO

You might want to look at how effective AZ is against P.1 in this chart. (Note that P.1 isn't widespread in the US and the US isn't using AZ, but it just shows how wrong it is to make a claim about efficacy of vaccines against variants in general).

you love too see it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mystes posted:

oh i didn't read the second half of your post, yeah

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well that doesn't seem great

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1387397186372005893

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

carry on then posted:

eh, everyone’s immune system is different, the most effective vaccine still may not actually grant immunity to everyone even against the variant that vaccine was designed for.

if it starts happening to hundreds or thousands of people then you should start to be worried, but a few dozen people getting hospitalized or dying after hundreds of millions vaccines have been administered can still be basically “100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death” and just down to stuff you can’t catch in the smaller efficacy trials.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a friend who used to work at the las vegas convention center and he said ces was great in the 2000s because vendors would just throw poo poo out at the end. he got so many cool weird phones and stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

does this mean that the vaccine-carrying virus can replicate itself and spread to other people? sounds like a bonus!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

does this mean that the vaccine-carrying virus can replicate itself and spread to other people? sounds like a bonus!
One weird trick the pharma industry doesn't want you to know about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who used to work at the las vegas convention center and he said ces was great in the 2000s because vendors would just throw poo poo out at the end. he got so many cool weird phones and stuff

they still did when i was going because they don't want to take it home but it results in a lot of "giveaways" at the show now though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mystes posted:

I mean, yeah? Those numbers are still pretty good as far as vaccines go and the infection rate isn't as important if it isn't straight up merking a bunch of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

carry on then posted:

Nope, youre still a doomer idiot.