Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can't see a top box when you are on the bike, so you forget about it. The only problem with a top box is you'll never be able to go back to not having one. In Italy I saw Ducati Supersports with top boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Also most of those guys have a no riding street bikes clauses in their contract I thought.

Most of them do, or should after what happened to Nicky Hayden on a bicycle of all things. Probably a little more lax with closed course racing though

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Top boxes are loving fantastic from a utilitarian perspective. Not denying they're universally ugly, but it's amazing how convenient it is just having a place to stash all of your gear when you get off the bike, much less carry groceries or other poo poo around without hassle.

Fair enough. They look like rear end though.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Top boxes can be taken off, the shelf that remains is not that annoying to look at and in itself also convenient to strap stuff to, if you don't wanna ride around with the top box.

If i'd be really annoyed, i could take the shelf off in less than 15 minutes.

Gotta say, to me they're not worth the 200ish euro that they cost new. I got a 2nd hand one for €20 from a person who got into an accident.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Should I get the FJR, it should come with the shelf, but no topbox. It'll also be coming with the colour coded official panniers/saddlebags.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I kinda want one for convenience but I am not willing to pay the motorcycle tax on those stupid mounts and boxes. Especially since I would only use it sporadically.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Fair enough. They look like rear end though.

So do tank bags, but you don't have to see a topbox 100% of the time you are riding. Tank bags look worse, actually. Tank bags are the fanny pack of motorcycles.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Should I get the FJR, it should come with the shelf, but no topbox. It'll also be coming with the colour coded official panniers/saddlebags.

The panniers aren't large enough to hold a helmet and the lids can be a bit of a pain - they're frankly rather poo poo for easy access/frequent use but work moderately well as actual luggage you take off the bike and into your hotel room or whatnot. They also work as frame sliders because they're the first thing to hit the ground when that bike tips over.

Coydog posted:

So do tank bags, but you don't have to see a topbox 100% of the time you are riding. Tank bags look worse, actually. Tank bags are the fanny pack of motorcycles.

Top boxes don't get in the way of refueling either. On the flip side, they can mess with your bike's handling and make it feel like a wobbly deathtrap at high speeds!

My Multistrada came with the GT pack so it has a top case and panniers, and 90% of the time I ride that bike with just the top case. My GS came with Bumot panniers and no top case, and I drat near never use them. They hold emergency kit and a rolled up rain suit and some tools. The top box (and/or the trunk in my sidecar) is 1000 times more convenient just because it's a larger volume and is easy to get into.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Also most of those guys have a no riding street bikes clauses in their contract I thought.

The top flight golden geese yeah.

The satellite guys usually get tossed a free bike just for kicks. Zarco credited his mind boggling long lap penalty last year to riding his multistrada on the road lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

You've inspired me. I found a dirt bike class not too far from me and I'm going to see if I can book a lesson next month.

yessssss, do it.

Martytoof posted:

I put out some feelers on dirt schools in the area. Hopefully someone has some info. I see dirtbikes parked in almost every garage when I take a walk down the street, these people have to be using them somewhere??

Don't you live somewhere in canada? Just go post on advrider or thumpertalk in the local area threads and folks will probably be happy to let you know.

numberoneposter posted:

yeah im actually pretty embarrassed though, not fishing for approval or sympathy or anything i know i hosed up and i got lucky and i know it

i also disappointed that the frame slider snapped, is that common?

Good job not dying. That's the initial bar. After that, just figure out how you hosed up and then practice not doing it again.

by riding a dirt bike :hellyeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I think I have a few leads already, just sort of annoyed that there’s nothing within an hour’d ride. Kind of makes trailering out more appealing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I think I have a few leads already, just sort of annoyed that there’s nothing within an hour’d ride. Kind of makes trailering out more appealing.

Yeah, all my dirt riding areas are an hour and a half minimum. I put the bikes in a van and drive out. It also helps because you can ride harder when you’re riding and not worry about being too tired coming home or about your bike needing to make it home. Although once before the van I did ride home with a bike all smashed up and had to stop and buy duct tape and tape some plastics and one side of the radiator to the body. So... yeah, just trailer out and enjoy the ride while you’re there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Here in Seattle all of my dirt riding areas are about an hour and a half away. Lots of nature around but also lots of people who hate dirt bikes so riding areas are further away.

I mean, 90 minutes is not a long drive. An early start, get a few hours of riding, and you can be home in the afternoon. I have to drive about the same amount of time or more to get to a good hiking trail, far enough away to get out of the city/developed areas.

I would love the ability to ride out of my garage but that requires living somewhere in the middle of nowhere that I wouldn't be able to work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The distance factor is what pushed me away from dirt bikes and back toward road bikes. That and I couldn't stand having to water blast everything, the horrible mess of the gear etc too much faffing around and logistics, I just want to ride; if I lived somewhere rural it would be totally different.

If you're logistically challenged you can either turn the tarmac into dirt - sumo - or turn the car drive into a ride - enduro/light adv. The former will hypertrain your brain into understanding rubber-road interface, the latter gives you a convenient, friendly intro to bike looseness. All contingent on pushing yourself ofc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real those of you who want to ride dirt but don’t have dirt, get a sumo.

You’ll be floored how much fun stuff there is to ride in even a small city

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Riding offroad isn't legal here, so even though I'd love to, I can't.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SEKCobra posted:

But to get you and ticket you the police would also need to ride offroad. What are they gonna do, come out on horseback?

QUID PRO QUO*

*I have no idea what this means

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

But to get you and ticket you the police would also need to ride offroad. What are they gonna do, come out on horseback?

QUID PRO QUO*

CITIZENS ARREST!!!

You are also off-road, officer!!!!!!

*gets shot without question*

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CITIZENS ARREST!!!

You are also off-road, officer!!!!!!

*gets shot without question*

Actually no, police shooting people is also illegal here.

I am looking for roads that give me plausible deniability. But riding in private forests will get you murdered.
Land owners are known to put up snatchwires that kill mountainbikers once in a while.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SEKCobra posted:

Actually no, police shooting people is also illegal here.

I am looking for roads that give me plausible deniability. But riding in private forests will get you murdered.
Land owners are known to put up snatchwires that kill mountainbikers once in a while.

Here in the land of the free if I get so much as a splinter on someone's property I can sue every generation of their family, but if they call the police the cops will show up and kill us both.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Here in the land of the free if I get so much as a splinter on someone's property I can sue every generation of their family, but if they call the police the cops will show up and kill us both.

This is what is known as the American Standoff

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is what is known as the American Standoff

Small price to pay for so much freedom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

Other than the downright terrifying dark souls world you apparently live in, supermotos have a way of easing your aversion to breaking the rules. Something about being able to do anything and go anywhere makes you see everything as a playground. Ride past a hill or something that looks like it would be a sweet jump off those stairs? You can't resist.

I had a lot of fun night rides on the WRx for sure...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stock exhaust only on supermotos so you can creep around mostly unnoticed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coydog posted:

Other than the downright terrifying dark souls world you apparently live in, supermotos have a way of easing your aversion to breaking the rules. Something about being able to do anything and go anywhere makes you see everything as a playground. Ride past a hill or something that looks like it would be a sweet jump off those stairs? You can't resist.

I had a lot of fun night rides on the WRx for sure...

Austria is on the short list of countries I would not gently caress around in because you will almost certainly find out.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
but but but but all those insane redbull races where they start with a hillclimb up the sheer face of a quarry wall are in austria

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im a fan of the hours and hours of gopro videos of euro dirt bikers being chased by forestry worker trucks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greg12 posted:

but but but but all those insane redbull races where they start with a hillclimb up the sheer face of a quarry wall are in austria

Get it properly cleared and approved beforehand and you can do some gonzo stuff but I advise against yolo trespassing there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Midjack posted:

Get it properly cleared and approved beforehand and you can do some gonzo stuff but I advise against yolo trespassing there.

In fairness too that's a working mine so "finding out" might involve getting hit by a dump truck. Accidentally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm always amazed that there's such a thing as wilderness and you can just like, ride your bike there and nobody cares. Every single piece of land in this country is either owned by a landlord or a nature reserve where vehicles are pretty much verboten. People who ride dirt either have to go to one of the approved parks and pay forty bucks a day, or go to an organized trail ride on some farmer's land, or go to the beach and get tickets for exceeding 50kmh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Canada is the best for that. Only 11% of all the land in the country is privately owned. A lot of the crown lands are nature preserves, yeah, but a lot also are not, just vast forests miles away from any other human being.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I am pretty sure 100% are owned by someone here. I just need to somehow befriend someone that owns a large plot and is not using it for agriculture I guess. But I'm not the networking type.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

SEKcobra are you northern european?

*edit*
oh I can just click on your profile and see Austrian

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

QUID PRO QUO*

Quid pro quo means “something for something,” e.g., you scratch my back I scratch yours. I think you meant to use QED, quod erat demonstrandom. Essentially, “that’s all there is to this argument.”

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Ive understood its generally the norm in Europe that you need landowner's permission to use motor vehicles off road, with the exception being UK, where you have those green lane things? And even that seems to be in England and not Scotland for example?

Here in Finland its we have jokamiehenoikeudet or everymans' rights, that allow people to roam forests and lands, camp, pick berries and mushrooms, etc everywhere that is not someones home's yard. But its specifically disallowed to use motor vehicles without permission, make fire, hunt or fell trees. You also are not allowed to roam through cultivated fields that have been sown and have not been harvested.

There are some snowmobile trails crisscrossing places, but these can only be used in winter and on snowmobiles, not for example quads at anytime of the year.

Most enduro clubs have agreements with landowners and have made trails they can use, but if youre not part of a club or a landowner yourself, its pretty difficult to go offroading. Only time Ive done it when I was in the army during excercises.

we owned couple acres of land that had an enduro trail used by a local club but we sold it and I used the money to buy a Nissan Skyline

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
We have a very similar law where you can use all forests, public and private, to your hearts content, but only on foot.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Same deal in Norway. There are some special rules for protected forests too, like you can't make fires in there from deadwood. In general any road or track that is drivable by car is okay. Marked private or gated roads are also ofc not ok.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Canada is the best for that. Only 11% of all the land in the country is privately owned. A lot of the crown lands are nature preserves, yeah, but a lot also are not, just vast forests miles away from any other human being.

My brain starts to cramp a little when I consider countries where every inch of land is owned by somebody

I realize that's kind of a huge luxury, to have just unowned space... and it's probably all got private claimants anyway, ie the people that lived there before we hustled them onto reservations

Also it's not at all unusual for land that is popular for off-roading to get tore up by 4x4ers and quadders who don't give a poo poo about preserving it for later, and then off-roading of all kinds gets banned there

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How come like standard and sport bikes usually have the back end raised, like where the second seat is, whereas enduro, dual sport, and dirtbikes the seat area is like flat?

Adventure bikes seem to use either style
Honda CB500x, Kawasaki Versys-X 300 look like standards with bigger suspension, BMW GS starts looking more like a dirtbike, Yamaha Tenure 700 looks very much like a dirtbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

How come like standard and sport bikes usually have the back end raised, like where the second seat is, whereas enduro, dual sport, and dirtbikes the seat area is like flat?

Adventure bikes seem to use either style
Honda CB500x, Kawasaki Versys-X 300 look like standards with bigger suspension, BMW GS starts looking more like a dirtbike, Yamaha Tenure 700 looks very much like a dirtbike.

On true dirt bikes (450's, 250f's etc) the expected use is mostly standing up, with emphasis on being able to grip and control the bike while standing, as well as the ability to move back and forth around the extremities of the bike for traction/balance.

On a sport tarmac bike, the expected use is the rider hanging off the side in corners (note the scooped out tanks, wide seats with a noticable fall off to the sides, high pegs set far back), while being as aerodynamic and locked in as possible on acceleration. The stepped seat is there to lock your rear end against so you don't slide backwards under power, and on more recent bikes it is subtly shaped to lift your lower back up higher for aerodynamic reasons.

As riding style and tyres evolve, so too are the ergonomics becoming hyper-specialized for the track, to the detriment of normal street riding, so sport touring bikes, middleweights, nakeds etc try to find a middle ground where the seat is stepped but still very padded and comfortable. This is what you find on basically every normal bike.

The same thing is true in the other direction: a nearly padless 6" wide plank is great for sick jumps but gives you piles after a few hours on the motorway. So road legal enduros like dr's, wr's etc try to find a middle ground by having a comfortable seat that you can still stand up and control the bike on reasonably well.

These sorts of compromises are inherent in every last detail of bike design. I often talk about bikes being philosophically faulty, what I'm referring to is the mixture of compromises making no sense, for example an 'adv' with a 4 cylinder and fat 17" wheels - useless on dirt, lackluster on tarmac, only exist for marketing reasons. Some of the bikes you mentioned fall into that category of philosophical confusion so I try to steer people, especially learners, away from them.

This is much harder to put across to people new to the game than just engine bad, wiring bad, bike too big/small/old/powerful. Also partly because it depends greatly on what you're trying to do on the bike and most learners are too untrained to even form a picture of what that's like. So you get recommended bikes where the use-case compromise is 'learner' and everything is designed to that end.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 30, 2021