Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

alcaras posted:

Separately, I think I'm going to not take the Blood Lineage in games going forward unless I'm minmaxing -- it's way too strong. By the end of my last game I had everyone in my dynasty be Genius/Beautiful/Herculean which was a bit insane.

I have been doing Blood for all games up until this newest one, and I'm going to try out the Raiding line since it seems so thematic and appropriate. Still trying to breed superhumans, tho. Can't seem to shake that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How are u posted:

After successfully forming the High Kingdom of the North Sea in one game, I'm now on another going for King of All the Isles. Started up in Iceland, and as my first ruler is hitting his late 60s I've managed to grab those North Sea islands, a bit of Scottish island, Sjaelland, and a couple of islands in the Baltic. Then I formed a Kingdom and I think I'm in a good spot to continue.

There's tons more to do, and I suspect this is going to be a much harder achievement to get since you can't ever let your realm size go over 80. I can see there are going to be a ton of powerful kingdoms adjacent to all my little islands.

Anybody done this one yet?

Yeah, I've done this, and your biggest obstacle is going to be the Byzantines. Also the tooltip is slightly misleading, because as far as I can tell, it re-performs the > 80 realm size check when the save is loaded, and doesn't set a permanent flag when you exceed the limit. If you exceed 80 but grant independence to vassals to get it back under the threshold you can save and reload the game to get the achievement to pop.

Anyways, 80 realm size is a little generous; all of the territory you need to control will get you to approx. 65 - 70 realm size, so there's a tiny bit of wiggle room if your vassals get too zealous and start expanding on their own. For my playthrough I started as Haesteinn, who's received an insane health buff so he can easily last into his 90s. I used his event troops to county-conquest my way into the Mediterranean so the Kingdom of Thessalonika would be in range of a Kingdom Invasion CB. I picked off little things here and there, until I had the fame for the CB and just enough gold to hire mercs to put me on equal footing to Byzantium. It was a very close fight, but I won and also scored a few islands ahead of time. Taking Constantinople is a major boon for the run, because it weakens Byzantium considerably (and you're going to have to fight them several more times) and also gives you a strong source of income and levies. After that I turned my focus to getting the territory I needed for Mann, and picking off islands as opportunities arose. Don't forget to take Venice and the Canary islands, as it's easy to forget about realms that are more or less non-entities in most games.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit weird how in this game eugenics is immediately powerful and almost always works, only the magnitude of the result changes. By 1200 ad there are like 500 Kwisatz Haderachs running around causing trouble

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

alcaras posted:

And still had a high Tyranny bonus from breaking up a super duke (he had four dukedoms! four!)

One thing you should consider with true super dukes is to imprison and banish them. Assuming they have multiple valid heirs for that land to partition things, it'll get the job done with much less tyranny to deal with.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's a bit weird how in this game eugenics is immediately powerful and almost always works, only the magnitude of the result changes. By 1200 ad there are like 500 Kwisatz Haderachs running around causing trouble

In a parallel universe, the stellaris team decided to go in a much more Crusader Kings direction, and you made this same complaint in a slightly different context.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

One thing you should consider with true super dukes is to imprison and banish them. Assuming they have multiple valid heirs for that land to partition things, it'll get the job done with much less tyranny to deal with.

Thank you for the suggestion!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oops, forming North Sea requires you to not have another Empire title... so forming a custom empire... was a mistake. Will have to attempt it another game. Suggestions on a good starting spot for it? I started from Gotland last game (I like single county starts -- you can't Ruler Designer a ruler who is a vassal at the start of the game, can you?)

Not sure I'm a fan of Scandinavian Elective, at least for the kingdoms -- way too erratic as to who the heir will be, and keeping 3 kingdoms voting for the same dude was a huge pita.

Perhaps it's better for holding 2 duchy titles in the early game? Or I'm misunderstanding how to use it to avoid Forced Partition.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you're trying to hold two duchies early in the game the best elective is Any Elective. Own all the counties in the elective duchy to make yourself the only elector, make it your primary title to ensure whoever inherits it will become your player heir (assuming you don't have titles above it anyway), and then just pick whichever dynasty member you want to play as next.

They'll get the elective duchy, all the counties inside of it, and the second duchy title (which will be assigned to them via the regular partition mechanics).

But honestly just letting your realm fracture and then putting it back together is generally more fun, so don't do it unless you have some great reason for it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks, I'm trying to manage the four elective kingdoms I have (England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) -- I have an Empire title as well, but it looks like the elective kingdoms will take away my two duchies _and_ all their counties -- is there a way I can actually inherit something _apart from the empire title_ if I don't win any elective elections?

(Do I need to set the duchy I want to inherit to elective? Remove elective on a kingdom (which one?))

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Why must every one of my relatives with the tiniest little piss-pot barony start up their own cadet branch?

And also, is it just me or is the AI like, really obsessed with incest?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

alcaras posted:

Thanks, I'm trying to manage the four elective kingdoms I have (England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) -- I have an Empire title as well, but it looks like the elective kingdoms will take away my two duchies _and_ all their counties -- is there a way I can actually inherit something _apart from the empire title_ if I don't win any elective elections?

(Do I need to set the duchy I want to inherit to elective? Remove elective on a kingdom (which one?))

oh my. You'll want to remove elective/destroy the kingdom(s) that are dejure lieges of the duchies you want to keep. Although if you're also losing the duchy election it won't help.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks -- the duchies aren't elective. Need prestige to either add elective there and/or remove it from the kingdom titles. Probably should try to keep two duchies in the same kingdom in future. I was trying to RP a "eastern residence" in Denmark and "western residence" in England. :p

I am kind of curious as to what'll happen if I inherit as Emperor in name only. Might be fun to try and see what insanity ensues.

Starting to think celibacy / disinheriting is a much more reliable approach to heir selection, especially for when I want to try hold 3 kingdoms for the North Sea next game.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Scandinavian elective is much easier to rig when every duke is a member of your dynasty. I don't mind handing over to the wrong person if they have good stats anyway.

And since you're tribal before forming the north sea empire bribing people to vote for your candidate is cheap. Placing a kid on the throne can still be hard but with some bribes and swaying/befriending/murder you can usually get there.

If you only inherit the empire but lose your duchies etc you'll inherit the capital county anyway and probably the title to that duchy unless I misremember.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Brandfarlig posted:

Scandinavian elective is much easier to rig when every duke is a member of your dynasty. I don't mind handing over to the wrong person if they have good stats anyway.

I have no reason to in my current file, but I really consider sometimes just.... Making a hobby of exterminating the af munsos. Give anyone else a seat at the table, you bougie Norse fucks.

I think I started this file as norse.....

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Why must every one of my relatives with the tiniest little piss-pot barony start up their own cadet branch?

I'm guessing the AI has some sort of algorithm for who to have an affair with. And the ruler's family members probably score high on the "do I know this person" and "is this person important" scores.

That said, I think the whole game leans a bit hard on the eugenics/incest aspects of the old game. I guess these things were popular on reddit...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Very difficult to say without knowing exactly what titles you hold, but yes, the game will try to distribute titles in a coherent way (i.e. if one of your heirs is set to inherit your kingdom, and you own counties within that kingdom, it will award them to that same heir. Similarly if you land an heir with lower level titles within the kingdom, it will try to give them that kingdom in the partition).

And yeah what you want to do is set the duchies to elective (and only the ones you have the votes to control the election of).

Veryslightlymad posted:

The cadet branch thing is the objectively correct choice, there's no downside to doing it. But yeah it might make more sense to require ducal rank or something.

As for the incest, I don't understand it at all. I think the AI is just working under the principal that they should seduce somebody and then choose a target semi-randomly. Or maybe they're trying for whoever they have the best success chance with? The AI motivations are extremely inscrutable, and it seems unlikely that they're all thinking as individuals either, that just seems computationally disastrous.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 29, 2021

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

PittTheElder posted:

it seems unlikely that they're all thinking as individuals either, that just seems computationally disastrous.

well,

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
We have PCs that can calculate a million moon landings in a second, I think they can handle some dudes deciding if they should bang their sisters.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have no reason to in my current file, but I really consider sometimes just.... Making a hobby of exterminating the af munsos. Give anyone else a seat at the table, you bougie Norse fucks.

I think I started this file as norse.....

Eh, they're not half as bad as the Karlings. Someone holding most of Sweden is much easier to deal with than half of Europe. If you want Sweden or the holy site you can typically kick them out with not much trouble after forming a kingdom of your own. Hell, my last two games had some random Finnish or Sami dynasty on the Swedish throne 200 years into the game.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 29, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ilitarist posted:

We have PCs that can calculate a million moon landings in a second, I think they can handle some dudes deciding if they should bang their sisters.

Indeed. I think the worry is that, if this simulation is as accurate as it should be, it is revealing something quite disturbing about the daily lives of the landed class…

…maybe “reveal” is the wrong word.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

pidan posted:

That said, I think the whole game leans a bit hard on the eugenics/incest aspects of the old game. I guess these things were popular on reddit...

You say that as though these things aren't still popular here.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

I kinda hope they add in a game rule to make it harder/more random. Getting any of the good genetic traits in CK2 felt like an acheivement, and you couldn't be certain it would actually be inheirited

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking for myself, I don't particularly go for the incestuous route typically, but I pretty much always try to breed a uniformly amazonian/beautiful/genius dynasty and take at least the first two or three Blood perks. With the ruler designer letting you start off with the traits needed for Strong Blood and playing with mods meaning there's little reason not to, it's even easier than ever to get started.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean starting 90% through the race with the ruler designer makes things easier, sure. Actually starting with a no-trait historical character will take a long, long time until you can qualify for strengthened blood with the player character, and everything after that is cake.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I want to know more

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I want to know more

I mean, the code I've seen does seem to suggest that every AI character "checks" whether or not they should start a new scheme based on a bunch of individual factors every so often (I think like every 3 years for personal schemes? Maybe 5? I'm away from my PC right now so I can't confirm). The modifiers associated with things like seduction/romance schemes mostly seem pretty good, I'm suspecting it may be events that don't have as exhaustive a list of sanity checks that cause weird relationships to happen. And when I tested it, something like 95%+ of the time I've tried to start an incestuous seduction scheme involving a faith that doesn't accept it I get the hard block event at the very start, which again lends credence to my theory that schemes may not be the overriding contributor.

Edit: Actually it looks like seduction in particular is a yearly check, befriend is every three years

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Getting back into this after a hiatus. I want to do a Khazar run but in my first attempt my realm exploded pretty much instantaneously. What's the best strategy (I'm also open to playing a vassal)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 29, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

PittTheElder posted:

As for the incest, I don't understand it at all. I think the AI is just working under the principal that they should seduce somebody and then choose a target semi-randomly. Or maybe they're trying for whoever they have the best success chance with? The AI motivations are extremely inscrutable, and it seems unlikely that they're all thinking as individuals either, that just seems computationally disastrous.

I'm not even talking about seductions. I'm talking about marrying their nieces in successive generations, and not even getting an alliance out of it. Just.... "I looked at all the women nearby to marry, and my low stat niece who is related only to myself and we're not even a strong dynasty yet is clearly the best option available".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not even talking about seductions. I'm talking about marrying their nieces in successive generations, and not even getting an alliance out of it. Just.... "I looked at all the women nearby to marry, and my low stat niece who is related only to myself and we're not even a strong dynasty yet is clearly the best option available".

i think there’s something where the game calculates “relevancy”. family members seem to show up at the top when you sort by it

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Are there any mods which make internal factions stronger or more threatening? Or just something which will make Byzantium capable of being defeated by another AI?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's a good capital to aim to on the Daura start? I'm thinking of heading towards Egypt and the pyramids once I create my first kingdom. Mali is too far.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If you look east a ways, there are several floodplain-rich provinces around the lakes in Kanem-Bornu. Or you could go further and there’s tons of disgustingly good ones on the Nile.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

What's a good capital to aim to on the Daura start? I'm thinking of heading towards Egypt and the pyramids once I create my first kingdom. Mali is too far.

Mali is worth it for the three gold mines, two of which are in the same duchy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there an Ironman save game editor at all? Somehow I wound up in a regular war and a Jihad against the Roman Emperor, now the regular war cannot be ended at all (even if the Jihad ends). We're still at war but our armies can't fight each other.

Also apparently Jihads can give you Kingdom titles? I actually find this to be terrible at my current game state, I'm mad as hell that I can't withdraw from the war (I have a save backup from before the Jihad finished), and can't get rid of the Kingdom title once I have it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Chatrapati posted:

Are there any mods which make internal factions stronger or more threatening? Or just something which will make Byzantium capable of being defeated by another AI?

In my current run I've seen one-province counts successfully defeat both the AI-formed Empire of Francia and, in one instance, an aggressively expansionist Pope.

So I think that there are means, it's just all down to the timing, and the Byzantine's tend to have a bit less opportunity to ambush while their pants are down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well the good news in a Crusade swept in and stripped away the Kingdom I didn't want. The bad news is I don't think I can reasonably hope to play this save any more:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Is there an Ironman save game editor at all? Somehow I wound up in a regular war and a Jihad against the Roman Emperor, now the regular war cannot be ended at all (even if the Jihad ends). We're still at war but our armies can't fight each other.

Also apparently Jihads can give you Kingdom titles? I actually find this to be terrible at my current game state, I'm mad as hell that I can't withdraw from the war (I have a save backup from before the Jihad finished), and can't get rid of the Kingdom title once I have it.

There is a tool that will change it to a non ironman game. To actually edit the ironman game you need the decryption key, which paradox hasn't released.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there are trainers that will let you use the console in ironman and keep ironman status as long as you dont save the game with debug mode on

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do you guys have links to these? I tried using Pdx Unlimiter to convert it to a non-ironman save, but it did not work at all.

e: well actually debug mode might be the solution I need on it's own, if I kill either character I can end the war, and not too chuffed about losing achievement eligibility.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it possible to find co conspirators to murder? Because I got murdered by a guy that absolutely should not have been able to murder me, and, if possible, I would like to cut a blazing swath of justice through my old court before completely obliterating his pathetic and mismanaged realm.