Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
In case it influences your decision: the fastest way we can get somewhere new by going east is to go to where we found the rotten hellhound (eating it optional) and turn west from there. The fastest way we can get somewhere new by going west is to go to where we killed the Strongarm, Warrior, and Thief and take either the pendant or the gold instead of the bracers. Other options are available from each, but if you want me to fast-track to either of those, just say.

e: update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just for fun, I'm using free mind-map software to map the paths of the book. I'm highlighting any nodes which force the player into death in red, and there's a surprising number of those.

quote:

Reference 220 posted:

You are suspicious of this mysterious figure. You back out of the arch and poke your head into the one next to it. This one is also dark. But from somewhere in the darkness you can see a faint glittering, as if tiny raindrops are sparkling as they fall. You cautiously step in to investigate. You reach a pile of rubble lying on the ground. Stones are scattered about as if from a wall which has recently collapsed. You could easily cross the rubble and make for the twinkling lights. While you are considering whether or not to do so, a crash is followed by a shower of dust as a rock falls from the ceiling! Will you climb through regardless, to investigate the glittering lights (turn to 56), or will you leave this alcove and try another (turn to 85)?

I might have missed it, but does going to 85 do anything different, or is it just another path to death/soft-lock? ...It's almost certainly a game over since most of the other choices around it feed into 405, which is death.

Other possible routes are to fight the rock demon or to escape south from the rock demon, but I don't have high hopes for those either.

I want to go to 85 and see if that's just death or not. If it is just death, backtrack to where those three hobbits were killed (2), then go 153 - East, then 232 - North, because I think that route is also new.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Try on the pendant instead of the bracers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I might have missed it, but does going to 85 do anything different, or is it just another path to death/soft-lock?

Reference 85 posted:

You turn round and pass through the arch. There are four others in the chamber. You choose another and peer into its gloomy depths. You can see nothing. You pluck up courage, step inside and feel around. It appears to be empty. Your hand touches a rocky wall at the back of the alcove. There is no point in investigating it further. The other alcoves are similar and you decide to leave the chamber. Turn to 405.

So no, that doesn't help.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Try on the pendant instead of the bracers.

Okay! As a reminder, after we head west from the encounter with the Vapour of Reason, we encounter a Strongarm, then his buddies the Warrior and Thief. After killing them all, we go to 281, which gives us three options of loot: the pendant, the bracelets, and the gold. We chose the bracers before; let's see if the pendant is more helpful.

Reference 306 posted:

You are fascinated by the ugly pendant. You carefully hook the leather thong with a claw and pull it free of the adventurer's head. You turn it over in your hand and can see that it is circular, with a dull blue stone set in the centre. You stare at the pendant for some time, wondering what to do with it. Then you remember how the adventurer wore it. You are just able to squeeze it over your head and you carry the pendant proudly around your neck. The pendant has a secret, which will be revealed in due course. If you reach a reference which begins: "You cannot see a thing...", deduct 20 from the reference number you are on at the time and turn to this new reference. You may add 1 LUCK point for this find. Now turn to 115.

So far we've only encountered one reference that meets this criterion. (I doublechecked, by the way, that there's still no non-losing path that doesn't go through 382; we're good on that front.) To get there, we climb down the wet staircase (having to pass a Test of Luck as we do), continue north, feel our way through a dark passage (but not so dark that it starts "You cannot see a thing"), then enter a large chamber:

Reference 257 posted:

You cannot see a thing...

Reference 237 posted:

As you shuffle around the wall of the cavern, you suddenly notice a strange sensation coming from your neck. The pendant you picked up is beginning to vibrate slightly and is giving out a faint hum! But when you continue around the wall, the vibration fades until the pendant is once more still. You puzzle over this for a few moments and step back to where you were before. Again, the vibrations and humming come from the pendant and you pause to look at what is happening. The dull blue stone set in its centre is beginning to glow and you watch in amazement as its colour changes from blue to a living red, as though a fire were burning inside it! An instant later, a single beam of red light shoots from the stone to a point on the wall in front of you. Following its direction, you can see what seems to be a piece of rock hanging in mid-air! As if ordered by the pendant, you grasp the rock and pull. It is not hanging in mid-air, but is attached to a rope and your tug is answered by a rumble in the rock in front of you. A doorway is opening!

The pendant you have found is in fact a magic talisman which has a special power. It is able to detect hidden doorways. In future, it will warn you of the presence of secret doors, but you will have to watch for the warning signs! If you reach a reference which begins: "You find yourself..." then you may look for a secret passage using the talisman's help. Add 20 to the reference you are on at the time and turn to this new reference. If a secret door is present, the new reference will make sense and the talisman will show you its secret (if the new reference makes no sense, then there is no secret door). If you are able to, you may add 1 LUCK point for finding the secret door.

You may now either enter the secret door you have just found (turn to 458) or return to 257 to continue on your way.

The only reference we've found that begins with "You find yourself" is 20. (And I double-double-checked our checkpoint. We're still good.) We can get there from here if we turn back, but we're going to check this one out, obviously!

Reference 458 posted:

You crouch low and squeeze through the narrow gap. As you pass through the doorway, a single glowstone flicks on to reveal the contents of the small chamber which you are now standing in. The room is completely bare except for a large chest against one of the walls. You step over and examine the chest. You push it, shove it and bash it, trying to break it open. Finally, a lucky push opens the lid. Inside, you find two mysterious objects. The first is a large circular plate made of strong metal. It has a sharp spike which protrudes from the centre on one side and two leather straps on the other. On the same side as the straps is attached a leather pouch which may be useful for carrying things. The other object is a piece of rough, coloured rock, about the size of your forearm. One end is wide and the other is much narrower. It is a dull green colour and glistens faintly in the light. But it appears very brittle. It may make a useful weapon gripped by the tapered end, but it would no doubt not last long in battle. You may take one of these items with you. Any metallic discs may be placed in the pouch on the plate if you choose this object. If you choose the plate, turn to 197. If you choose the rock, turn to 110.

:siren: I trust those who are familiar with Creature of Havoc not to spoil any of the gotchas for the rest of us, but just to be sure, if you're familiar with Creature of Havoc's gotchas, please decode the following spoiler before posting: Dp onp totf l lebny pnfe thb ta twpo thjrtff ne bl spoh bs aba sf crft, ethpv ghujt ilbcksat hfecprr fctetfx tebt at hfes tb rt! I'm serious. I'll report anybody who doesn't obey. :siren:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
197 Come on portable shop.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let's rock.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I have a guess on what the plate is, but not the rock. Let's find out what the rock is!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FredMSloniker posted:

So no, that doesn't help.

Wow, so that means that every single thing which happens after you decide to smash down the doors which are two references east from Reference 2 leads to death. Amazing.

Take the plate, that looks interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 28, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Plate because having a shield + loot bag sounds very handy.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'll be honest, I really hate this game.

It reminded me of the time I tried to get one of the Fighting Fantasy for mobile since it seemed like a decent lark. But having to actually play the rules out of the game full-bore makes the game very RNG-y, repetitive, and tedious. I dropped it like a hot stone really quickly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wow, so that means that every single thing which happens after you decide to smash down the doors which are two references east from Reference 2 leads to death. Amazing.

Well, unless there are any goodies we haven't found yet that provide hidden actions from there. We shall see.

Keldulas posted:

I'll be honest, I really hate this game.

It reminded me of the time I tried to get one of the Fighting Fantasy for mobile since it seemed like a decent lark. But having to actually play the rules out of the game full-bore makes the game very RNG-y, repetitive, and tedious. I dropped it like a hot stone really quickly.

Yeah, it's not great. But hey, that's what cheating vigorously is for! And there's some good stuff under the bullshit, especially once we see daylight. (Spoiler alert: we will, eventually, see daylight.)

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Plate because having a shield + loot bag sounds very handy.

Speaking of, let's see if we can reach it this way!

Reference 197 posted:

When strapped to your arm, this plate will make a useful shield in battle. When using this shield, you may add 1 point to your SKILL. In addition, any more metallic discs of gold and silver may be carried in the pouch on the back. Finally, the spike on the front will allow you to break down doors more easily. If you are told to lose 1 STAMINA point when attempting to break down a door, you may ignore this penalty (if the damage is more severe, then even your shield will not help you). Now leave the chamber and turn to 257 to continue your journey.

This prevents the damage on 393 and 396, of the references we've seen. I'm not sure how to rule on using the shield: does it only apply in combat, or is it a flat +1 to SKILL? (I'm inclined to say combat only, but I could be talked into the latter.) Does it allow us to exceed our Initial SKILL? (I'm inclined to say no, but that leads to extra bookkeeping to keep us from losing a point of SKILL when we remove it if we were at our Initial SKILL when we took it.) At any rate, it's nothing we need to worry about while we're in autowin mode.

Anyway. We can only take one loot item (and I've added some code into the book mapper so we can only visit 237 once), so once we turn to 257, we have to choose between going west or east. We went west before, but we haven't been east.

Reference 61 posted:

You turn east and follow the passageway. You pass under a narrow archway and find yourself in an open room, which is well lit by torches fixed high on the walls. You look around for a way onwards, but the only passage leading from the room is the one you arrived along. The room is bare except for a small pile of what looks like black cloth lying against one of the walls. Do you want to investigate the room further (turn to 334), or would you rather leave (turn to 444)?

We haven't seen either of these references.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Investigate this here room.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The only way out is the way we came, so might as well investigate the black cloth which will cause us pain and suffering.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

We must investigate! Just leaving may or may not be healthier but it's much more boring.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

We must investigate! Just leaving may or may not be healthier but it's much more boring.

Reference 334 posted:

You wander around the room, but there is nothing particularly remarkable about it. You stop by the pile of cloth and bend down to pick it up. But, to your alarm, it springs into the air and disappears! Astonished at this strange occurrence, you look round the room for signs of the cloth. The flickering shadows make your search more difficult and in the end you shake your head and ignore the incident. You begin to move off towards the archway, when you suddenly feel a sharp stabbing pain in your back!

You spin round, roaring loudly, to face your attacker. There is no one there! But drops of dark liquid, rolling off your back and dripping on to the floor, confirm that you have certainly been injured. You must lose 2 STAMINA points. As you search round trying to spot your attacker, you get your first warning of the phantom you are facing. Your shadow shifts against the wall and, as it does so, it reveals another shadow, trying to remain concealed within your own! A spindly arm rises above your shadow with a sharp knife clutched in its hand. You leap to one side as the arm descends. The knife catches your shadow's arm as you jump away, and dark blood seeps from between the scales of your arm. You must lose 2 more STAMINA points. What do you want to do now? Will you attempt to fight the deadly Shadow Stalker you are facing? If so, turn to 34. If you want to grab for the torches, turn to 379. If you prefer to flee from the area, turn to 242.

I can assure you that each choice can reach somewhere new.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Torches may be fighting smarter, but we are a Creature of Havoc with YES stats! Stomp that Shadow Stalker flat.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Grab for the torches, turn to 379, because that at least sounds like a plan.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Grab for the Torches.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

I can assure you that each choice can reach somewhere new.

And I can say that with confidence because, if we go for the torches:

Reference 379 posted:

You reach up for the torch on the wall beside you, but it is just out of your reach. Meanwhile, the Shadow Stalker is once more poised for attack and only by shifting sideways quickly do you avoid a fatal blow. Instead, the plunging knife grazes your shadow's leg. Lose 1 STAMINA point. Will you now try to fight the creature (turn to 34), offer a gesture of peace (turn to 135), or flee as quickly as possible (turn to 242)?

Which presents the other two options, as well as a new one. Okay, let's try fighting.

Reference 34 posted:

Once more the Shadow Stalker raises its knife and plunges it down into your shadow. Again you try to leap aside, but this time its blow grazes your chest. Lose 2 more STAMINA points. You try anticipating where the creature will be and slashing it with your claws, but your blow cuts through thin air. The Shadow Stalker does not even try to avoid you. Again you slash ineffectually, and this time the creature plunges its knife into your shadow's back. The pain shoots through your body; lose 3 STAMINA points. Now you must decide what to do. Will you try to escape by leaving the room (turn to 242), or will you stop your attack and try to make peace with the Shadow Stalker (turn to 135)?

No new options here, though I'm disappointed we don't even think of trying to use our shadow to fight the shadow. Fine, we surrender! We're running out of STAMINA! Or we would be if we were keeping track of it!

Reference 135 posted:

You withdraw your claws and hold your hands out in a sort of gesture of submission. The creature's knife rises once more... and stabs downwards! This time the blow lands in the centre of your shadow's chest and you collapse in a heap on the floor. The evil spirit has no comprehension of truce. It knows only that it must bring death to any living thing it encounters. For this is the way of the Shadow Stalker.

Death #13: When you surrender to something called a Shadow Stalker, you get what you deserve.

So yeah. Eventually every choice can lead to 242, which is somewhere new. Making me technically correct (the best kind of correct!) :v:

Reference 242 posted:

In a state of panic, you lumber towards the door as quickly as you are able. The Shadow Stalker, however, is quicker and its knife finds your back as you flee. Lose 3 STAMINA points. When you reach the archway, your two shadows separate. The Shadow Stalker becomes faint as the light fades. In the light of the glowstones you hardly cast a shadow at all and this seems to worry the creature. It slips back along the wall into the room and settles on the floor. You blink and look again. The creature now looks like a pile of black cloth! You turn and leave the room, still not certain of what has happened. Eventually you reach the junction and continue westwards. Turn to 309.

The Creature isn't the brightest bulb in the shed. :downs:

We've been to 309 before:

Reference 309 posted:

The passage continues west, then turns sharply to the right. A few paces along the corridor you reach a junction where you can either:
  • Go north. Turn to 371.
  • Go west. Turn to 280.

Previously, we went west; let's try north.

Reference 371 posted:

The passage runs straight ahead until you reach a junction, where you may continue north (turn to 144) or turn east (turn to 204). Alternatively, you may return to the previous junction and turn west (turn to 280).

We're not turning around, and we've been to 204 before (it's where we found the door with the Rhino-Man behind it), but 144 is new.

Reference 144 posted:

The passage twists and turns until it leads you into a wide cavern. You pause to survey the way ahead. There are no creatures to be seen and all is still except for a dull humming which is forming an almost unnoticeable background noise. The wall to the left is riddled with large holes like a huge honeycomb and many of the holes are lit with a yellow glow. In the centre of the cavern, a few steps off the path, is what seems to be a small pool of shimmering liquid. Do you want to pass through this chamber as quickly as possible (turn to 239)? Do you want to investigate the light coming from the holes (turn to 24)? Or will you have a look at the pool of shimmering liquid (turn to 180)?

All three of these references are new.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ooooo, shimmering liquid. Let's poke it or drink it or whatever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Let's get eaten look at the shimmering liquid.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wasn't there already a pool of shimmering liquid which turned out to be a death pit? This is probably the same thing. So, assuming that's death, the second choice is holes of light.

Either way, I'm certain that we're already dead or stuck because by not going to 280, we missed the chance for the adventurers carrying the gift of understanding language, and I suspect that is required to win.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

If you guessed this is yet another false choice, you guessed right. If you check out the honeycomb:

Reference 24 posted:

You leave the path and clamber up over the rocks to get a look at the nearest hole. It is just out of your reach, and you must hoist yourself up to be able to peer into it. As your head comes up to the level of the hole and the glow splashes across your eyes, the cause of the light reveals itself - and gives you such a fright that you lose your grip and tumble down to the path. For you come face to face with a huge head, with grilled-patterned eyes and clattering mandibles. This Giant Hornet launches itself from its home and swoops down on you, its poisonous sting aimed right at your chest! Turn to 332.

And if you check out the liquid:

Reference 180 posted:

You leave the path and walk towards the shimmering liquid, treading carefully across the rough boulders. As you get close, you see something that causes you to stop, blink and look again. Out of the corner of your eye, you are sure you saw the liquid suddenly rise into the air, then fall almost immediately to become smooth once more. But this happened without any sound. You take another careful step forwards and, as you are now next to the 'pool', you realize to your horror the mistake you have made...

This is no pool at all. The shimmering surface is in fact the gloss on the wings of a Giant Hornet, which is feeding in a crevice. As you look down on the creature, it turns its large, ugly head up at you, mandibles clicking hungrily. With a flutter of its wings, it takes to the air and hovers ready to attack! Aiming its sting at your chest, it plummets towards you. Turn to 332.

Incidentally, the illustration on 24 looks more like a Stingwing from Fallout 4 than any sort of hornet. Either way, you wind up here:

Reference 332 posted:

You must resolve your battle with the deadly creature. Although not strong, the Giant Hornet has one powerful weapon. If you roll a double while rolling for its Attack Strength, it has managed to sting you and the effects are fatal. You will die unless you also manage to roll a double in the same Attack Round. If you do manage to roll a double with your Attack Round roll, then you do not die, but must take 6 STAMINA points of damage instead before your Instant Death blow kills the Hornet. Resolve your battle:

GIANT HORNET    SKILL 6    STAMINA 7

If you defeat the Hornet, you had better leave the chamber quickly. Turn to 239.

Ouch. Anybody wanna calculate the odds of coming away from this? Remember that we can have a SKILL of 7-12 and can have at most 24 STAMINA, depending on how lucky we've been up until this point. And all we get for our trouble is some STAMINA knocked off before we have to go here anyway:

Reference 239 posted:

You take the path carefully through the cavern so as to avoid any danger. The path leads out through a narrow archway into a passage which you follow east until you reach a junction where a side passage leads southwards. Turn to 298.

We've been to 298 before, though last time it was after meeting the Rhino-Man; it's a T-junction where we went east. This time, we'll go west.

Reference 401 posted:

After a few paces, the passage begins to wind irregularly in a generally south-westerly direction. You follow it for some time, and then it turns south. You arrive at the top of a flight of stairs, but decide against going back down to the lower levels. There is another passage leading east here, and you decide to take this route. Turn to 156.

Reference 156 posted:

You follow the passage to the east and you find yourself wandering down a long, straight passage. After some time, you arrive at a crossroads and you must choose which way to turn. As you are considering your choice, you are startled when all the glowstones you are relying on to light your way go out simultaneously! You are now stranded in the pitch-blackness! Which way will you go:
  • North? Turn to 354.
  • South? Turn to 212.
  • Straight on? Turn to 310.

For what it's worth, all of these references are new.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

straight

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
North

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

North

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, does that text say that "You find yourself"? Can we use our illegal pendant to go to a secret reference?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Regallion posted:

Wait, does that text say that "You find yourself"? Can we use our illegal pendant to go to a secret reference?

Sharp eye, but no. The reference has to begin with the words "you find yourself". (Just to be sure, I checked reference 176, and it has nothing to do with secret passages.)

Ignatius M. Meen got raffle-picked, but what'd happen if we went north instead?

Reference 354 posted:

You stumble off awkwardly up the passage. The ground is rough underfoot and the passage is getting a little narrower, though the ceiling appears to be much higher up. Eventually you reach a dead end. There seems to be no way forward. Will you grope around the walls to see whether you can find a way of progressing (turn to 179), or will you return to the crossroads and turn either to the east (turn to 310) or to the south (turn to 212)?

Reference 179 posted:

You can find no clues as to how to get further along the passageway. Angry and frustrated, you stamp your foot on the ground and smack the rocky wall with your fist. This was not a wise thing to do. The rock overhead was loose but delicately balanced, and now the roof and walls come crashing in on top of you. You have indeed come to a dead end in the dungeons of Zharradan Marr.

Death #14: A dead end. Geddit? Geddit?

Okay, what about south?

Reference 212 posted:

You grope your way along the passage for several paces and find that it comes abruptly to a dead end. You may either search the walls for any signs of a way through (turn to 245), or you may return to the crossroads and choose the north passage (turn to 354) or the easterly one (turn to 310).

Reference 245 posted:

You search the rough rocky walls for some time but find nothing. Frustrated with your lack of progress, you return to the crossroads. Will you now head north (turn to 354) or east (turn to 310)?

...okay, you're up!

Reference 310 posted:

You cannot see a thing as you grope your way along the passage. Your anger begins to rise and is near to boiling when you reach a dead end ahead. Will you search the dead end for a possible way onwards (turn to 171), or return to the crossroads and take the northern passage (turn to 354) or the southern passage (turn to 212)?

Reference 171 posted:

Your hands comb the walls for signs of an entrance or any other way onwards, but in vain. You are in a dead end. You will have to return to the crossroads and take either the passage to the north (turn to 354) or the passage to the south (turn to 212).

Softlock #3: Stuck at a crosswait.

Reference 310 posted:

You cannot see a thing

Reference 310 posted:

You cannot see a thing

Reference 310 posted:

You cannot see a thing

Reference 290 posted:

As you stand against the wall, desperately searching for a way onwards, you almost overlook the strange things happening around your neck. For the pendant you are wearing is beginning to vibrate and is emitting a faint humming sound! When you suddenly become aware of the pendant, you look down towards it to find out what is going on. When you move away from the end of the passage, the vibration fades; when you come closer, it increases in intensity. You cannot understand what is going on! An instant later, the jewel in the centre of the pendant begins to glow. It changes in colour from blue to fiery red. Suddenly a jet of red light bursts from the jewel and lights up a metal rod which is protruding very slightly from the side wall. You grasp the rod and push it. A creaking sound is followed by a deep rumbling as the wall ahead begins to shift. The jewel returns to its former dull blue appearance as the secret door opens...

The pendant you have found is in fact a magic talisman which has a special power. It is able to detect hidden doorways. In future, it will warn you of the presence of secret doors but you will have to watch for the warning signs! If you reach a reference which begins: "You find yourself..." then you may look for a secret passage using the talisman's help. Add 20 to the reference you are on at the time and turn to this new reference. If a secret door is present, the new reference will make sense and the talisman will show you its secret (if the new reference makes no sense, then there is no secret door).

Now you must decide what to do. Will you go through the secret doorway you have just discovered? If so, turn to 331. If you would rather return to the crossroads, you may do so and take either the passage to the north (turn to 354) or the passage to the south (turn to 212).

I wasn't expecting to be able to reach this reference and 237 in a single go! Neither was the author, apparently, since we get the whole repeat of how else we can use the pendant... except that this text doesn't say we get a point of LUCK when we successfully find a secret door by adding 20. In the interest of not hating myself enough to implement three versions of the 'you have a pendant' flag, I'm going to let that particular omission slide.

At any rate, our only new destination is:

Reference 331 posted:

You step through the door into another rocky passage. But this one is short, and empty shelves are fixed to the walls on both sides. At the end of the passage is a wooden door. You step up to the door and shove it open. Turn to 15.

We've been to 15 before:

Reference 15 posted:

All is silent as you enter. The room is large, with a high ceiling, and a musty smell permeates the air. There are four doors leading from the room, one in each wall. A long table stands in the middle of the room and on it is a short stick with a metal head lying next to some small spikes. A couple of planks of wood are resting against the table. This is evidently a workroom of some sort. In one corner of the room you find the products of the work carried on here. Two tall and thin wooden boxes, almost as tall as you are, are leaning against the wall. They are standing next to a hole in the wall, just above floor-level, which is wide enough to fit one of the boxes through. You puzzle over this for some time.

What do you want to do:
  • Have a look inside the boxes? Turn to 217.
  • Investigate the hole in the wall? Turn to 319.
  • Ignore what you see? Turn to 436.

Last time we looked in the boxes, which didn't go so well, then left by way of 436. So the only thing we haven't tried here is looking at the hole in the wall:

Reference 319 posted:

You poke your head through the hole in the wall and take a deep breath. The foul air makes you cough deeply. You can hear far below the sounds of running water and the smell coming from the filthy river is overpowering. You pull yourself back into the room. Will you now investigate the boxes (turn to 217), push the boxes into the hole in the wall (turn to 322) or leave the room (turn to 436)?

Only one thing we haven't tried here too:

Reference 322 posted:

You pick up the first box. It is quite heavy and something soft and bulky bumps about inside. You fit the end of the box into the hole in the wall and shove. The box slides down what seems to be a long chute and finally splashes into the water below. You pick up the other box and do the same. You may now leave the room. Turn to 436.

Eat Bilgewater, Cursewitches! That doesn't do anything for us, but it's quite satisfying.

Reference 436 gives us a four-way intersection, but the only way to get anywhere new is to go east. From there we cross a slippery bridge (and Test our Luck), coming to:

Reference 122 posted:

You follow the passage eastwards, peering ahead as the glowstones flick on to light your way. Eventually you arrive at two doors and you listen for any clues as to what may be beyond. No noise comes from behind the door in the north wall. But there are definite sounds coming from behind the door in the east wall. A heavy breathing is unmistakable and is interrupted by loud snorts. This sounds ominous. Do you wish to:
  • Charge the door in the east wall? Turn to 263.
  • Try the door in the north wall? Turn to 154.

Last time we went north. Let's go east.

Reference 263 posted:

The door shudders under your charge but does not open. Lose 1 STAMINA point. You try again and this time the bolt is torn from the frame. The door lies open and you step into the room, ready for the creature inside. The room itself has a door in each wall. Scattered around one corner is an untidy pile of bones. In another corner is a half-eaten human carcass. Standing over the carcass - and evidently annoyed that its meal has been disturbed - is a bulky creature with a hairy face, razor-sharp teeth and wild eyes. As you enter, it turns to attack and you must resolve your battle with the Manic Beast:

MANIC BEAST    SKILL 7    STAMINA 8

The Manic Beast is so called for its tremendous bursts of rage. Each time you inflict a wound on the Manic Beast, its anger will rise for the next Attack Round, and you must add 2 to the dice roll when it rolls for Attack Strength. If you wound it again during this next Attack Round, it will retain the bonus for the next Round, but if you do not, its temper returns to normal and the bonus is lost. If you defeat the Manic Beast, turn to 209.

Not as bad as it could be; the anger bonus isn't cumulative.

Reference 209 posted:

You may, if you wish, regain your strength by waiting for a few moments in the room before continuing. You can pass the time by feasting on either of the dead creatures. Which looks the tastiest: the Manic Beast (turn to 231) or the human carcass (turn to 249)? Or will you ignore the food and simply leave the room (turn to 293)?

This decision - gasp - is significant! :toot: I won't show you the results of the other paths, at least unless or until (who are we kidding, it's 'until') we come this way again. Will you find a vital artifact, or a red herring that'll kill you 70 references from now? Or will you get the Zonk? It's up to you!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
>eat manic beast

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

BraveLittleToaster posted:

>eat manic beast

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm just gonna assume this is a trick and say we should just get out of here.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Have we eaten a human yet? Now's a good time to start at any rate.

Also, I gotta say, man this book is a nightmare. I mean, having a bunch of instant death taps is half the fun of these, but it's really not great to be in an endless cycle of "You're still in the cavern. Glowstones are everywhere. Do you go north, east, or south?"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's contemplate veganism

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Let's eat the Manic Beast (turn to 231)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Manic Beast because the power of rabies compels us!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Have we eaten a human yet?

On this path, yes: the trio of adventurers we got the pendant from.

Arzaac posted:

Also, I gotta say, man this book is a nightmare. I mean, having a bunch of instant death taps is half the fun of these, but it's really not great to be in an endless cycle of "You're still in the cavern. Glowstones are everywhere. Do you go north, east, or south?"

This book experimented with a number of features, like not being forced ever forward through the adventure. Unfortunately, it used its powers for evil.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

>eat manic beast

Reference 231 posted:

The Manic Beast's meat is a little bitter for your liking but it provides a satisfying meal. You may add 4 STAMINA points. Now turn to 293.

Reference 293 posted:

You leave the room through a door in the east wall. The door opens into a dingy corridor, which is quite short and ends at a wooden door. When you listen at the door, you can hear conversation rising and falling in pitch as if two or three creatures (or humans) were locked into a long discussion. This is your only way onwards. Will you try the door and attempt to creep slowly into the room (turn to 276), or will you attempt to surprise whatever is inside by charging into the room with claws drawn (turn to 66)?

We've seen both of these references before, and they both lead the same place: the chamber with the various doors and the arches with the Chattermaster and the Elven Dust. From here, we can either leave immediately or coat ourselves with Elven Dust; we then go to 20, where we can use our pendant to find:

Reference 40 posted:

As you are about to turn to leave the dead end, the pendant around your neck suddenly starts to vibrate! Remembering what happened last time this occurred, you hold the talisman out towards the rock-face. A low humming comes from the charm and its vibrating becomes more pronounced. Eventually, the blue stone set in its centre begins to glow and a narrow beam of blue light illuminates a small catch in the rock. You release the catch and the rocky door rumbles aside to reveal a small room ahead in the rock. In the room is a long wooden box on a sturdy table. Around the room are a variety of object - plates, candlesticks and many other artefacts arranged on shelves and smaller tables. Leaning against the central table are two skeletons. One looks human, but the other looks decidedly non-human, having the jaws of some sort of creature of Chaos. A musty smell comes from the room; it no doubt has not been visited for some time. Will you venture inside (turn to 296), or will you ignore the room and leave the area (turn to 279)?

Nowhere else to go!

Reference 296 posted:

You step inside the room and look around. All sorts of carefully collected objects of value are in the room and you pick some of these up to look more closely at them. Then the door slides shut with a rumble and leaves you in complete blackness! Relying on your talisman, you shuffle across to the area of the door and hold it towards the wall. But this time there is no reaction. No vibration; no blue light. There is equally little reaction from the other walls. It soon dawns on you why two long-dead skeletons were leaning against the table. There is no escape from the tomb you are now in! The next unwitting visitor will find three skeletons in the room...

Death #15: It's a dead man's party.

I'm gonna stop counting softlocks on account of we don't know when they actually start yet. I'll just add what we need to do to avoid them to the to-do list, once we figure it out.

So! Examining the game states we haven't been to yet, I counted 49, but I noted that quite a few involved entering the room with the Rock Demon, then immediately retreating (turn to 450). However, the other thing they have in common...

Reference 450 posted:

You leave the room and find yourself once more in the east-west passageway you entered from. You remember the noises you heard behind the door ahead to the east. But there is no other way forward. The door is locked, so you must once again charge it. Turn to 263.

...is that they go somewhere we've been before. That knocks ten possible states off. Reference 444, which we get to by avoiding entering the room with the Shadow Stalker, is equally, well:

Reference 444 posted:

The room seems to be uninteresting and you turn to leave. You head back up the passageway until you reach the junction where you continue westwards. Turn to 309.

That only knocks one state off the list, though. Then I found a typo in my code that, once corrected, raised the number of new states to 98. :saddowns: Still, they all ultimately lead to one of twelve new references. In increasing order of number of states, they are:
  • 232. From the junction with the blue slime, continue north through the slime instead of turning east. We'll have 12 Gold Pieces, as well as the hide we have at the checkpoint (so I won't mention it again).
  • 412. Instead of taking the pendant or the bracelets from the three adventurers, take the Gold Pieces.
  • 110. From the secret chamber with the spiked shield and the rock, choose the rock instead of the shield. We'll have the activated pendant.
  • 77. After descending the wet staircase, turn west instead of continuing north. We can reach here with the bracelets or the inactive pendant.
  • 357. From the door with the Rhino-Man behind it, lacking the gift of language, attack the Rhino-Man. We can reach here with the bracelets or the fully activated pendant; if we get here with the latter, we can also have or not have the spiked shield.
  • 432. When we encounter the two humans, wait to see what they do instead of attacking immediately. Our state options are the same as 357's.
  • 187. After killing those humans, search the bodies for anything interesting instead of searching the sack one of them was carrying. Our state options are the same as 357's.
  • 223. As above, but eat the bodies instead of searching them or looting the sack. Our state options are the same as 357's.
  • 353. From one of the many junctions (75, if you care), go west instead of east. We can get here with or without having eaten the rotten hellhound and with or without killing the hobbits and looting 12 Gold Pieces from them.
  • 241. From a choice of two doors (373), turn left instead of going straight. We can get here with either the bracelets or the fully activated pendant. If we have the pendant, we can also have or not have the spiked shield. In addition, we can get here with or without the gift of language; if we have the gift, we can get here with or without the note to pass to Legionnaire 29. (That's a total of nine states.)
  • 249. From the room with the Manic Beast, eat the human instead of the Manic Beast. There are a total of 22 states we can have here:
    • We can have nothing (except for the hide) and eaten, or not eaten, the rotten hellhound.
    • As above, except we also have 12 Gold Pieces.
    • We can have the pair of bracelets. If we do, we can also have or not have the curse from 217. We can also have or not have the gift of language; if we have that gift, we can also have or not have the note for Legionnaire 29.
    • We can have the fully activated pendant (we can't reach this point with the pendant without activating it) but without the gift of language. If we do, we can have or not have the curse from 217. We can also have or not have the spiked shield.
    • We can have the fully activated pendant and the gift of language. If we do, we can have or not have the curse from 217. We can have or not have the spiked shield. We can also have or not have the note for Legionnaire 29.
  • 327. When we encounter the Rock Demon, fight it instead of running. Our state options are the same as 249's.
Note that the number of states I've described in that list doesn't add up to 98; that's become some of them differ only in that we've visited a page that we're only allowed to visit once, and so a flag has been set in the game state status. Note also that these are not necessarily the only ways to get to specific states, just the shortest.

Whew! I'm not likely to do all that again; that was a ton of work. That said, what game state would you like to visit? Specify both the reference and any inventory, information, statuses, and gold you want to have once you get there.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 29, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

110 seems quite promising; we don't know what that rock does yet, after all. Though, I guess it might be a necrorock that kills whoever touches it or something.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The 110 rock is definitely the last certain source of equipment not yet tried, though searching the bodies of the two humans might be fruitful too (or at least knock off some states when it turns out to lead to eating them instead).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
let's grab the necrorock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
>grab rock