Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that’s my guess too but it still feels weird cause you just kinda kill a crazy old man, smack a wall, then stumble into the opening area but it’s the past now. At least put a fog wall or something, you know?

Also at Archdragon Peak, it really does feel nostalgic fighting man-serpents again. There’s been no shortage of DS1 homages but this hits different, idk why. It’s a little annoying too since they got way stronger with much better weapons, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah on the one hand DS2 was all about kingdoms built on fallen kingdoms and all of this being a cycle so having two isn't that crazy.

But then the actual way you get there feels very trippy, like you're exiting the physical plane and ascending to another dimension or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

capra demon is only "fine" if you are not talking about the "walk into tiny arena and get ambushed by dogs" aspect, and if you're just talking about capra by himself he is a 1v1 cool sword dude

I mean, I think that encounter as a whole is a bit dumb (I suspect because Lower Burg was awkwardly cobbled together) but not for either of the two reasons I said. It's also not an exact science. Capra isn't a big swingy monster man like Taurus is, but he's also not quite an Artorias-type cool sword dude to me. :shrug:

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, so is there an actual explanation somewhere for why there’s two Firelink Shrines/Untended Graveyards in the game? Or is it just a Bloodborne homage because Bloodborne is cool and rad? I guess “the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

I wish From would just go all-in on it already instead of dropping in a single time travel segment in every game that tends to not really go anywhere.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Maybe Untended Graves is in the same time as all the rest of the game, except Firelink from the start of the game. After all you have to leave that by warping out, which then puts you specifically into a time where the Lords are weak enough to take down but still strong enough that the world hasn't faded completely. You return to the out-of-time Firelink to collect them together, and warp again to the same real world Firelink that used to be Untended Graves, but now it has a freshly kindled-with-Lord-Souls Bonfire in it and is open to the end of the game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Actually there are three Firelink Shrines in DS3 :pseudo:
e: Four, if you count the Demon Prince arena.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Maybe Untended Graves is in the same time as all the rest of the game, except Firelink from the start of the game. After all you have to leave that by warping out, which then puts you specifically into a time where the Lords are weak enough to take down but still strong enough that the world hasn't faded completely. You return to the out-of-time Firelink to collect them together, and warp again to the same real world Firelink that used to be Untended Graves, but now it has a freshly kindled-with-Lord-Souls Bonfire in it and is open to the end of the game.

oh drat, that makes a lot of sense actually. The first half anyway, I still haven't gotten the fourth lord soul but I'm sure the rest of it will make sense once I beat the game.

headcanon accepted

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man there's a lot of sad and tragic bosses in this game but Oceiros takes the cake for me. Between murmuring to an invisible crying baby and him smashing it on the ground it's all sorts of hosed up.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Man there's a lot of sad and tragic bosses in this game but Oceiros takes the cake for me. Between murmuring to an invisible crying baby and him smashing it on the ground it's all sorts of hosed up.
Never forget: Babby was visible in the alpha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prownnvrwdo

edit: vvvvvvv lmbo smashed dat reply like a babby

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 28, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

"Fun" fact: In an earlier version of that fight....the baby wasn't invisible. :gonk:

Edit: Lmao beaten to the punch.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:gonk::gonk::gonk:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall when whoever represented the publishing brass had to tell Miyazaki that, no, the baby chaos dunk has to go.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HaB posted:

Those loving screams are so stupid. I hate them.

I'm sorry, but putting messages like "listen carefully" in front of them and watching them get down voted is peak Souls for me.

Simply Simon posted:

Spicy Gundam guarding the shrine suggests that the untended graves is the past, though.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 28, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

be sure to watch enough so that you can hear the sound effects of squishing and baby whining that play whenever oceiros steps on his chaos-dunked baby

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

be sure to watch enough so that you can hear the sound effects of squishing and baby whining that play whenever oceiros steps on his chaos-dunked baby

I did!! It was awful

Disco Pope posted:

I'm sorry, but putting messages like "listen carefully" in front of them and watching them get down voted is peak Souls for me.
I have a couple messages that have been getting downvoted, one pretty heavily which I'm proud of. I'll try to get screenshots later

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The fact that it isn't visible leaves the interpretation that he's just imagining it, even if it was in the alpha. I think the ambiguity is better.

Why is it invisible? In the same sense that Crossbreed Priscilla is since they're both part dragon or something like that?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I think that's the idea

e: oh yeah

I have a couple messages that have been getting downvoted, one pretty heavily which I'm proud of. I'll try to get screenshots later

I just climbed these rafters and oh what's that, a message in the far corner there? Must be something interesting or important.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 29, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
e: drat quote/edit

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Last Celebration posted:

Umm, so is there an actual explanation somewhere for why there’s two Firelink Shrines/Untended Graveyards in the game? Or is it just a Bloodborne homage because Bloodborne is cool and rad? I guess “the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

Don't worry about it!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

“the flow of time in Lordran is warped and distorted” is an explanation but that’s just a transparent multiplayer justification.

au contraire! :actually: it is one of the standout examples of ludo-narrative cohesion, and extends through the multiplayer phantom mechanics presentation and into the manifestation of the world itself!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I've played all 3 Souls games and never have been able to figure out what's going on.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in describing the setting of dark souls, "reality machine broke" is both necessary and sufficient

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hector Delgado posted:

I've played all 3 Souls games and never have been able to figure out what's going on.

The sun has been kidnapped by entropy. Are you a bad enough dude to set yourself on fire

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I was watching a play through of Wizball (an old C64 game with a wizard flying a green face around and trying to restore colour to the universe) and was thinking that'd make a great Souls game. Start in formless black void and gradually restore the world by killing cool sword guys and dragons.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Disco Pope posted:

Spicy Gundam guarding the shrine suggests that the untended graves is the past, though.

Yes, that's what was explained. Your character is from the future and moves back in time from the shrine bonfire when you first appear on lothric wall. This is never apparent until you stumble into the graves after the Seth wannabe. Then, at the end of the game, you move through time again to the end of the world, and if you get to the end of the ringed city you go even further than that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Got my assassin sorc up to the mid-80s, int almost at 60, and equipped with crystal sorceries, and with a full boosting ring loadout (young dragon, bellowing dragon, magic clutch, scholar's ring) it finally feels like he can magic things to death worth a poo poo. I also picked up the kamehameha which is pretty fun, but doesn't seem to do much more damage than the crystal soul spear. It's really cool though!

Quick question--I upgraded the court sorc staff to +10 and immediately after I found this cool looking crystal sage staff. Is it worth upgrading that with my scales? I might just try it out anyway but if anyone has specific insights that would help out someone on their first magic-user in the series, I'd appreciate it.

The most annoying thing is, he's still fragile as all hell and dies in 1-2 hits to most things. The game feels significantly easier with my punchman, possibly due to his higher health, possibly because the combat loop is simpler (just rolls and punches, sometimes perseverance), but also because I feel like my punchman just handles the combat better overall.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
At maximum upgrades and 60 INT, crystal sage staff is technically better as long as you keep using the buff, but not so much better that you can’t just keep using court sorcerer’s and not worry about it.

Healthy melee builds are significantly easier than sorcerers in DS3, with the exception of a couple bosses who can’t handle either the ranged attacks or the magic damage.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The rug at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the old demon king is a nice touch. It really ties the Smouldering Lake together.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

DS1:R Trip Report-

https://i.imgur.com/zBQGawc.mp4

I'm a stinker. Not shown: making them use up all their crystal soul spears first.

e; the comp bow is silly

https://i.imgur.com/VUrmSGc.mp4

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 30, 2021

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

PSA: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/n1235k/potential_pc_security_exploit_spreading/

Get Blue Sentinel, use backups, put a spin on your point down.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Would it be worth pumping int/faith to 60 on my pyro? Also str for my punchman?

I guess I'm wondering if 60 is the "real" cap for main stats

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Me playing DSR in 2021: I know what comes next. I'm going to get past the Anor Londo Archer Bros first try this run, I know all of DS's dirty tricks.

DSR in 2021:
https://i.imgur.com/zHr8TM6.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

Me playing DSR in 2021: I know what comes next. I'm going to get past the Anor Londo Archer Bros first try this run, I know all of DS's dirty tricks.

DSR in 2021:

lmfao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Possibly the most unlucky vagrant spawn I've ever seen

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

The Protagonist posted:

DSR in 2021:

holy poo poo lmfao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

DSR in 2021:

congrats on seeing a vagrant!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I forgot those enemies even exist

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Zaphod42 posted:

I forgot those enemies even exist

i literally only found out they existed through the wiki like a year ago

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i feel like i received a visit from the virtual ghost of miyazaki

kind of like how toby fox says he's the dog in undertale you know? i bet thats how miyazaki feels about the vagrant

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Miyazaki were going to haunt anywhere, it'd definitely be that bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Would it be worth pumping int/faith to 60 on my pyro? Also str for my punchman?

I guess I'm wondering if 60 is the "real" cap for main stats

Pumping to 60 on a pyro isn't really worth it IMO. Just pick one of the stats and you'll have equivalent scorcery or miricles, you don't really need both. You'd be better off with more Vigor or any of the physical stats really. Personally I pumped Int because I was also using the moonlight greatsword, you also need it if you want to cast the biggest scorceries (but you don't need to because choas fireball consumes all).

giZm posted:

PSA: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/n1235k/potential_pc_security_exploit_spreading/

Get Blue Sentinel, use backups, put a spin on your point down.

Lol. This is why I don't use a PC for anything multiplayer. The never ending arms race between assholes.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 1, 2021