Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ll agree with most of those but being able to do math without a calculator is super useful.

Of course the way I do mental math is the method they always complain about where you break it up into a series of smaller/easier steps.

i think it's safe to assume that person probably can't do much math beyond making change or simple times tables in their head anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

As someone who can read an analog clock, do mental math, can balance a checkbook despite only writing one check a month, and used to be able the write cursive, who is in their early 30s...

That person is a loving loser who needs to mind their own business, lol.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What the hell is a checkbook and why is it always unbalanced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you keep pulling the cheques out of it the stubs all stay on one end and it starts to weigh more on that end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Byzantine posted:

What the hell is a checkbook and why is it always unbalanced.

Balancing a checkbook now is just remembering you wrote a check for half your income that your landlord hasn't cashed when you look at your account balance before you go out to dinner anytime in the first half of the month.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Balancing a checkbook now is just remembering you wrote a check for half your income that your landlord hasn't cashed when you look at your account balance before you go out to dinner anytime in the first half of the month.

I always pay my rent with money order because I’ve had way too many landlords that suck at cashing checks in a timely fashion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I always pay my rent with money order because I’ve had way too many landlords that suck at cashing checks in a timely fashion.

I don't because I'm paranoid they will claim to have never gotten it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

I was about to post this, and if you use a cashier's check instead you don't even have to remember to sign it, it's glorious. I can't have 3-10+ days of not knowing when half my bank account is gonna disappear, I'd rather it disappear on my own terms

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I don't because I'm paranoid they will claim to have never gotten it.

There’s receipts with a serial number on it, I had a landlord not get one once and getting it refunded didnt suck too bad.

E:you can also see if it’s been cashed or not online if you do a post office one.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some of these old school money things sound like they have better protection on both sides than money apps on phones.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhazonLink posted:

some of these old school money things sound like they have better protection on both sides than money apps on phones.

But if you can't "like" that one of your sister-in-law's coworkers paid for drinks what even is the point of money

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't even remember the last time I wrote a check. I've cashed a few, but haven't used a checkbook in years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't even remember the last time I wrote a check. I've cashed a few, but haven't used a checkbook in years.

We bought some when we first moved into this apartment but it was just easier to make a checking account specifically for rent and just setup autopay. I know it's lol giving the rental company direct access to my accounts but we make sure we've got the money in there, it goes out immediately on the 1st, and we haven't had a problem

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The American aversion to direct debits is weird as gently caress.

I’ve never even owned a chequebook and I’m in my mid 30s. Just let your bank send them the money every month, it’ll need to be paid either way.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only time I've used a check in the last two years has been to set up direct deposit for a contract job. I do, however, have a spreadsheet that I use for two-column accounting.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve never even owned a chequebook and I’m in my mid 30s. Just let your bank send them the money every month, it’ll need to be paid either way.

The people in the US aren't particularly averse. The corporations in the US want paper, almost certainly so they can deny services to minorities.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was searching to be someone's roomate when I moved to CT, and people just could not believe I could have my bank send them money every month (I'd be away for up to 6 months at a time), and it took me several weeks to find someone who was ok with that. Which is fine because he turned out to be a 10/10 landlord.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I was searching to be someone's roomate when I moved to CT, and people just could not believe I could have my bank send them money every month (I'd be away for up to 6 months at a time), and it took me several weeks to find someone who was ok with that. Which is fine because he turned out to be a 10/10 landlord.

Finding a roommate a couple times I got a bunch of con artists claiming similar things so they were probably just being paranoid. (Overseas student, send you the money ahead of time, check is too much so they want you to western union the difference back). Finding out you weren't going to actually be there half the time probably raised some red flags.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I know people that won't set that up because they don't want to overdraft their accounts and on the one hand I get it because I've been there but it's so much more work

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Skwirl posted:

loving lol at owning a watch in any capacity other than fancy bracelet.

counterpoint:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the gently caress am I looking at?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I’ll agree with most of those but being able to do math without a calculator is super useful.

Of course the way I do mental math is the method they always complain about where you break it up into a series of smaller/easier steps.

I tend to do a nearby "easy" problem and then make the corrections to get back to the original question. Like if it's 46*31, I'd start with 45*30 (which is just 450*3, so 900+450 which is 1350), then add another 30 to that (so 1380) to get to 46*30, then add another 46 to it (so 1426) and hey, that's 46*31, neat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I searched for the image and apparently it's a terrible lifehack to stop a computer from going to sleep, because the second hand of the watch will keep triggering the laser of an optical mouse.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at?

It prevents your status on your work messenger from going to "away" because you've been loving off while working from home

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ben shapino posted:

It prevents your status on your work messenger from going to "away" because you've been loving off while working from home

Oh, that's cool then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

I tend to do a nearby "easy" problem and then make the corrections to get back to the original question. Like if it's 46*31, I'd start with 45*30 (which is just 450*3, so 900+450 which is 1350), then add another 30 to that (so 1380) to get to 46*30, then add another 46 to it (so 1426) and hey, that's 46*31, neat.

Yep, that’s what I do and it’s taught to a lot of kids but older people hate seeing that because it’s not familiar to them. It’s a big part of how I do conversions in my head, which was handy for EMS stuff.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Khizan posted:

I searched for the image and apparently it's a terrible lifehack to stop a computer from going to sleep, because the second hand of the watch will keep triggering the laser of an optical mouse.

So it's praxis?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

If I ever got asked to do that in real life as an adult I'd either pull my phone out or tell them to gently caress off

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

how dare you use common core math tricks, youre suppose to do in in only this one way, this one algorithm.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1387577627549052940?s=19

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Powered Descent posted:

None of what you posted makes any sense

But ive tested into core math twice during my undergrad years, numbers and i arent friends

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Powered Descent posted:

This is exactly what I do and I was never taught to do it this way. It just makes so much more sense to do 3 easy calculations instead of one complex one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Is... this a criticism of Biden somehow?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zesty posted:

Does me drinking this lead filled water trigger you, liberal? :smuggo:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lol

https://twitter.com/DavMicRot/status/1387580338159951877

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zesty posted:

Really tired of Republicans trying to make Biden look cool.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Powered Descent posted:

This is literally how my (boomer age) father taught me mental math. He worked in a cannery back in slide rule days, and to do certain calculations for canning etc, you did it on the line, no access to the slide rule. So, you did mental math. That you were sent to school to learn tricks for if your high school sucked so hard they didn't teach you there.

He always told me he actually learned it from his dad, who did the same work, just 30 years earlier...

That was a long way to say, I hate boomers who bitch about "modern math."

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Elviscat posted:

10/10 landlord.

tasty?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

how dare you use common core math tricks, youre suppose to do in in only this one way, this one algorithm.

yeah, this is the bullshit gen-x boomers keep bitching about when they help their kids do math....

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

When I was in college a couple incredibly scummy companies basically slumlord'd 90% of the housing around campus and had tons of rules basically made for college kids to gently caress up and then owe fees. One of them was you had to pay either with check by mail or come to their office (which was conveniently not anywhere close to any of their properties) and pay directly with cash or by swiping your cc/debut card in person. If your check got held up in the mail they'd fine you. Payments for the current month were only open in-person for like the 5 days before the end of the month, etc.... I'm pretty sure they didn't even let you pay ahead of the current month if you could. They basically made it as difficult to pay them as possible.

I'm sure like half their dumb rules were either totally unenforceable or just illegal, but dumb 19-20 year olds probably don't know enough to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

On top of what everyone else said, there are cases where direct debit turns into "they take your money forever even when the service is no longer in service", too. Basically all of it comes down to scummy, lovely practices.