Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

silence_kit posted:

I'm just pointing out that many goons

and can be very judgmental about how people spend their money.

We get it, you needed a yacht to park your yacht in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Rich people like breathing and many people on these forums think that rich people breathing is in fact very very bad

it unambiguously is tho

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean your not really pointing out anything.

Your saying something realit vague and I don’t understand your point

I'm just pointing out the paradoxical nature & suspected hypocrisy of the statement. Being judgmental about how others spend their money is very common on the SA forums, and is not something that only 'they' or 'the others' do.

I suspect flatluigi has no problem with being judgmental about how others spend their money, if the judgment is right, in his or her opinion.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Apr 28, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

it unambiguously is tho

It's a huge loving leap to answer "goons want all rich people dead" to the question "what are some things that rich people like which you feel are unfairly maligned on the forums which you are presently posting on."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Len posted:

We get it, you needed a yacht to park your yacht in

That's not even a joke those exist. The really rich have even second yacht sized boat follow them around so they have a place to land their helicopter and store their submarine without ruining the view.

I'm not really following whatevers being argued about but superyacht money is crazy. Between hundreds of millions in up front costs and multi-thousand dollar a day operating costs it's a lifestyle that mere billionaires couldn't afford.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

silence_kit posted:

I'm just pointing out the paradoxical nature & suspected hypocrisy of the statement. Being judgmental about how others spend their money is very common on the SA forums, and not something that only 'they' or 'the others' do.

I suspect flatluigi has no problem with being judgmental about how others spend their money, if the judgment is right, in his or her opinion.

No that can’t be your point it makes no sense, even for goons desperate need to own other groups they are usually coherent

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

No that can’t be your point it makes no sense, even for goons desperate need to own other groups they are usually coherent

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you is neither here nor there. If the cosmic test of truth were 'does SA forums poster CharlestheHammer understand this?', then very few things would be true.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

It's a huge loving leap to answer "goons want all rich people dead" to the question "what are some things that rich people like which you feel are unfairly maligned on the forums which you are presently posting on."

It was, I thought obviously, a hyperbolic joke answer. A real answer might be homes above a certain arbitrary square footage

(It was a joke in the sense that it wasn't really what you were asking. It's still true, though)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you is neither here nor there. If the cosmic test of truth were 'does SA forums poster CharlestheHammer understand this?', then very few things would be true.

No, my fellow goon, you're being vague and general to the point of uselessness, it's like saying "goons sometimes think things are bad, but like other things, isn't that hypocritical?" Pick a concrete example of whatever the hell you're babbling about.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t understand, why do they need the NFT at all

The internet made putting naked girls on page 3 obsolete.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t understand, why do they need the NFT at all

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I just plain don't understand NFTs. You're spending money and computing power on......nothing? The owner of an NFT image or whatever doesn't even get the copyright to it, that's an entirely separate thing. It reminds me of those star registry things. Why should your "ownership" of the NFT matter to anyone other than other people in the NFT market?

Maybe I'm just stupid/prematurely old and unable to comprehend new technology.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
No, you absolutely get it. That's what makes NFTs so infuriating. Literally everyone who doesn't have brainworms has that same reaction and there is no greater "aha" moment waiting at the end.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
NFTs are people either absolutely falling off the end of the Dunning-Kruger highway, or grifters taking the money of the former.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

John Murdoch posted:

No, you absolutely get it. That's what makes NFTs so infuriating. Literally everyone who doesn't have brainworms has that same reaction and there is no greater "aha" moment waiting at the end.

I have a buddy who is a huge tech evangelist. His kids have had their own tablets since they were like... 3 and 5. He thinks tech = good at this point, and I wish I had the opportunity to be like “yoooo, you notice how a lot of this poo poo sucks or has unintended consequences?” But it’s not my place.

I’m planning to do a BitCoin/Crypto/NFT presentation for work in a couple weeks and I’ve made no effort to hide that this will be an anti-Crypto/NFT presentation. I can’t wait! :getin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

For the cherry on top, this is apparently a screenshot of an NFT that sold for $7.2 million.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

silence_kit posted:

Although the cosmic test of truth might be "does anyone besides silence_kit understand what silence_kit is trying to say?"

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Zereth posted:

For the cherry on top, this is apparently a screenshot of an NFT that sold for $7.2 million.

There has absolutely got to be money laundering going on here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sucrose posted:

I just plain don't understand NFTs. You're spending money and computing power on......nothing? The owner of an NFT image or whatever doesn't even get the copyright to it, that's an entirely separate thing. It reminds me of those star registry things. Why should your "ownership" of the NFT matter to anyone other than other people in the NFT market?

Maybe I'm just stupid/prematurely old and unable to comprehend new technology.

The easiest way to explain it is like a certificate of authenticity that can't be forged.

It just requires you burn down a couple rainforests to do it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sucrose posted:

There has absolutely got to be money laundering going on here.

Much like with high art, absolutely.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

The easiest way to explain it is like a certificate of authenticity that can't be forged.

But doesn't guarantee that the person giving you the certificate actually owns the thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zereth posted:

But doesn't guarantee that the person giving you the certificate actually owns the thing.

And it 'can't be forged' about as much as you 'can't forge' a convincing copy of a Black Lotus card.

Which is to say they're probably gonna be able to pull it off to about 98% of people, and that 2% won't be in a position to scrutinize it close enough.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Apr 28, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Zereth posted:

The only thing you're buying is the certificate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The only thing you're buying is the certificate.

But it's a self-authenticating certificate!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't forget the real anti-value add: if you want to change the "owned by" field on the digital certificate you need to pay gas to the network and give a cut to the organization who designed the contract.

Unrelated fun ad (do not steal I am still minting the NFT)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A rare cross post from the college football thread

https://twitter.com/espn_billc/status/1387401299822526467?s=21

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

If the partnership is real this is the proudest I've ever been to be a Gamecock.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zereth posted:

Im not endorsing it. The whole thing is stupid as poo poo. Im just trying to give the best metaphor i can.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's a certificate of authenticity based entirely on a text document containing a url.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s a certificate of authenticity verifying that the certificate is indeed an authentic certificate of itself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a better authentication mechanism than that used by NFTs.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

wrong thread, where's brilliant marketing moves. I miss the days when you could just buy COCKS merchandise willy nilly

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm Greek, "bird" is used as a word to refer to a dick. This is the closest I've been to being interested in college sports (except for the Jon Bois video about that DeVry basketball game)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Platystemon posted:

The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a better authentication mechanism than that used by NFTs.

I don't know if you're joking but apparently it was in fact a pretty brutal QA testing that they could fail you for if the smallest problem happened, and frequently did. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was actually a great authentication mechanism because it specifically means that a room of angry QA monkeys banged on their controllers enough for Nintendo to endorse it as Probably Ok. You know who is endorsing it and (theoretically) why, and the entity endorsing it is largely trusted to do so.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A comprehensive explanation of nfts, for the uninitiated:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Apr 29, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I don't know if you're joking but apparently it was in fact a pretty brutal QA testing that they could fail you for if the smallest problem happened, and frequently did. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was actually a great authentication mechanism because it specifically means that a room of angry QA monkeys banged on their controllers enough for Nintendo to endorse it as Probably Ok. You know who is endorsing it and (theoretically) why, and the entity endorsing it is largely trusted to do so.

0.00% of games released today would pass this.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Lone Badger posted:

0.001% of games released today would pass this.

Factorio was programed by math wizards

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I like the method Traveler's Tales used to get Sonic 3D Blast to pass Sega's QA tests back in the day: if there's an exception, and the game doesn't know how to deal with it, just dump into level select with text that says "You found a secret!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, it's not exactly surprising that console games have reached a level of sheer complexity that you cannot actually test all the cases, even with massive manpower.

That said, nothing excuses Superman 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Raised By Birds posted:

I like the method Traveler's Tales used to get Sonic 3D Blast to pass Sega's QA tests back in the day: if there's an exception, and the game doesn't know how to deal with it, just dump into level select with text that says "You found a secret!"

Even Nintendo themselves did this, with A Link to the Past. If you did something that meant the game couldn't load something properly (the most reliable duplication was basically hitting a specific room warp too fast), it would instead drop you in the Chris Houlihan room, with a secret message and about a hundred rupees.

I hope Chris knows how cool this is to nerds like me.