Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

one of these days I will visit the House of Heals...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Glad Symone won, but still miffed that Kandy was in the final instead of someone who deserved it more.
Consensus in our house during her finale runways was that she deserved to be there the least of anyone in years. Not even a slam on her, she's just not on the level of pretty much any top 3/4 in living memory.

Jr. posted:

I just realized that I think Kandy is just Large Vanjie.
Vanjie can get a little tiresome but IMO she's legit brilliant and her drag, though perhaps not the most imaginative on earth, is tight as a fuckin drum. The same cannot be said for Kandy.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Symone won, all is right with the world! Now for some nice rest until All-Stars starts...

G'day bbs!

The ongoing march of Drag Race contant continues with RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under! Filmed in New Zeland, 10 Queens from Australia and New Zeland will be competing to be "Down Under's First Drag Superstar!" The series starts on May 1 with episodes airing on Stan in Australia, TVNZ OnDemand in New Zeland, and on the Wow Presents Plus app everywhere else. Episode release times have yet to be announced, we will update once we know more.

Comedian Rhys Nicholson is joing Ru and Michelle on the juding panel, and the guest judges are... we'll we don't know all of but we will be getting Taika Waititi and :siren::siren::siren:Kylie Minogue:siren::siren::siren: (and Dannii).

Let's meet... our girls!

Anita Wigl'it - 31 - Auckland, New Zealand

Art Simone - 28 - Geelong, Australia

Coco Jumbo - 30 - Sydney, Australia

Elektra Shock - 27 - Auckland, New Zealand

Etcetera Etcetera - 22 - Sydney, Australia

Jojo Zaho - 30 - Newcastle, Australia

Karen from Finance - TBA - Melbourne, Australia

Kita Mean - 34 - Auckland, New Zealand

Maxi Shield - 46 - Sydney, Australia

Scarlet Adams - TBA - Perth, Australia

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

spite house posted:

Consensus in our house during her finale runways was that she deserved to be there the least of anyone in years. Not even a slam on her, she's just not on the level of pretty much any top 3/4 in living memory.

I'd take Kandy Muse over Pearl any day of the week. :colbert:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I love that the signs are a kangaroo and a kiwi. Nice attention to detail.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

Symone won, all is right with the world! Now for some nice rest until All-Stars starts...

G'day bbs!

The ongoing march of Drag Race contant continues with RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under! Filmed in New Zeland, 10 Queens from Australia and New Zeland will be competing to be "Down Under's First Drag Superstar!" The series starts on May 1 with episodes airing on Stan in Australia, TVNZ OnDemand in New Zeland, and on the Wow Presents Plus app everywhere else. Episode release times have yet to be announced, we will update once we know more.

Comedian Rhys Nicholson is joing Ru and Michelle on the juding panel, and the guest judges are... we'll we don't know all of but we will be getting Taika Waititi and :siren::siren::siren:Kylie Minogue:siren::siren::siren: (and Dannii).

Let's meet... our girls!

Anita Wigl'it - 31 - Auckland, New Zealand

Art Simone - 28 - Geelong, Australia

Coco Jumbo - 30 - Sydney, Australia

Elektra Shock - 27 - Auckland, New Zealand

Etcetera Etcetera - 22 - Sydney, Australia

Jojo Zaho - 30 - Newcastle, Australia

Karen from Finance - TBA - Melbourne, Australia

Kita Mean - 34 - Auckland, New Zealand

Maxi Shield - 46 - Sydney, Australia

Scarlet Adams - TBA - Perth, Australia

I know it’s to be expected given the local demographics, but lord that cast looks white as hell compared to American Drag Race.

idgee
Feb 13, 2012
There's a long tradition of Polynesian and Maori drag in Aus and NZ, so it's actually surprising to have a cast that white imo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah it's pretty stacked with white.

also, i think it's been mentioned in the thread before, but contestant Scarlet Adams has a pretty gross history with cultural appropriation.

she managed to do a really loving insane blackface outfit (on australia day, known to australian indigenous peoples as 'invasion day'), but that's the tip of the iceberg. not that people don't make mistakes, or can't change or grow, but there's more than enough red flags to make me think: why couldn't they just find someone better?

here's a lot of photos, warning that they're pretty gross and insensitive: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMTRQP5h9lI/

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 28, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, people compared the Karen from Finance apology for previously having a golliwog tattoo (which she has since had removed) as so good, compared to the theatrics of Scarlet Adams's...."apology".

vs

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMa_S7wHVU_/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

idgee posted:

There's a long tradition of Polynesian and Maori drag in Aus and NZ, so it's actually surprising to have a cast that white imo

Ah, interesting. I only went to a couple of drag shows when I lived in Oz and those were touring American drag queens.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm still waiting on confirmation but assuming previous simultaneous release schedules new episodes of Down Under will be released at:

Home Countries:
New Zeland: 6 pm Saturday
Australia: 4 pm Saturday

Wow Presents Plus:
US East Coast: 2 am Saturday
US West Coast: 11 pm Friday

BBC Three: 9 am Sunday

And apparently, Espana will be starting shortly too, and likely All-Stars? :psyboom:

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

yeah it's pretty stacked with white.

also, i think it's been mentioned in the thread before, but contestant Scarlet Adams has a pretty gross history with cultural appropriation.

she managed to do a really loving insane blackface outfit (on anzac day, known to australian indigenous people as 'invasion day'), but that's the tip of the iceberg. not that people don't make mistakes, or can't change or grow, but there's more than enough red flags to make me think: why couldn't they just find someone better?

here's a lot of photos, warning that they're pretty gross and insensitive: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMTRQP5h9lI/

ANZAC day is the military memorial holiday, Invasion Day is Australia Day (4th of July-esque national holiday on the 26th of January) because that's the date of the arrival of the first colony fleet from Britain. Judging from the outfit I'd say it was worn on the latter, which is pretty yikes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zombie Squared posted:

ANZAC day is the military memorial holiday, Invasion Day is Australia Day (4th of July-esque national holiday on the 26th of January) because that's the date of the arrival of the first colony fleet from Britain. Judging from the outfit I'd say it was worn on the latter, which is pretty yikes.

sorry, you're right. was all confused because anzac day has just been and gone

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

Holy poo poo that's bad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Trig Discipline posted:

Holy poo poo that's bad.

Yeaaaah the "I got an inappropriate tattoo once" (which they had removed and were contrite about) was bad but that's like, weapons grade bad. they must vet people before putting them on the show and I hear the rumor is we're getting a very special episode about racism, but like, maybe just don't have the person on?

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
https://www.perthnow.com.au/enterta...-ng-b881820174z

quote:

But others online have pointed out the 2012 blackface performance wasn’t Price’s only indiscretion.

More recent videos posted online show Price wearing a traditional Chinese dress and singing Adele’s Someone like you’ in an exaggerated Asian accent.

Other videos showed Price dressed as a Bollywood star, former SBS newsreader Lee Lin Chin, as Pocahontas and performing in Burmese neck-rings.

One shows Price on stage calling someone a “n.....r”.

:getout:

they really don't check people out too much, do they?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:yikes: Between that horribly photoshopped promo photo and the multiple racism scandals I think I'm going to skip this one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's preeeeeetty demoralising to have this be apparently the best representation of aus drag that the producers could find. sure hope someone from casting is lambasted over this.

apparently racism is going to be addressed explicitly in an episode of the show; frankly i'm even more nervous to watch it knowing that a room full of mostly whitefellas is going to be talkin' race. not to say it isn't a sadly accurate representation of us. i remember about a decade ago when Harry Connick Jr was on Hey Hey It's Saturday (a "popular" aussie variety show) and some awful minstrel blackface act came on. he was appalled, made them apologise on-air. newspapers had a field day with it, and channel 9 framed it as "oh it's an american issue" when it's pretty loving horrific regardless of your nation.

so uh yeah. don't blame people for not wanting to watch this one.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 29, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm going to watch it for Karen From Finance, because she has the unenviable storyline of huge Trixie Mattel/Katya backing (based solely on her name) to the point where she now kind of looks like Trixie, but she had a racist tattoo which she had removed so she can't be anyone's precious smol bean or whatever.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

angerbeet posted:

I'm going to watch it for Karen From Finance, because she has the unenviable storyline of huge Trixie Mattel/Katya backing (based solely on her name) to the point where she now kind of looks like Trixie, but she had a racist tattoo which she had removed so she can't be anyone's precious smol bean or whatever.

Yeah. I wanted to like her first seeing her promo image but if you're old enough to get a racist tattoo you're old enough to know not to get a racist tattoo.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ru, no.
no.
what.

how the gently caress does racist poo poo get past the casting department?!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
All this racism business is taking attention away from Kita Mean's serve of an entrance look.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I hate to think it, but the casting department is probably looking for people with "dramatic" backgrounds they can manipulate into solid tv time. Taking a racist and airing an apology? TV gold.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

subpar anachronism posted:

Yeah. I wanted to like her first seeing her promo image but if you're old enough to get a racist tattoo you're old enough to know not to get a racist tattoo.

Speaking from somewhat transferable experience here, sometimes you just straight up do not know something is racist until an embarrassing age. White communities tend to be pretty insular, and you internalize a lot of poo poo that sucks and requires conscious effort to overcome.
Shifting racist bigotry over to transphobic bigotry here so i can relate myself to it more clearly: As recently as 2016 I was parroting transphobic talking points and positions without realizing exactly what it was I was doing. Currently I am genderfluid* and every time I dig too far back in my twitter or tumblr I have this moment of wanting to slap my past self for being an rear end in a top hat bigot because I had yet to think through what I was saying. I can't exactly say how that transfers over to being racist, because I both Am White and therefore I haven't had racist microaggressions levied at me that have actual consequences (oh no, someone thinks i dont season my food, the horror!) but I know that I've done some poo poo in my past that was racist because I'd never encountered resistance to it before.
Twitter specifically, and the internet at large more generally, was very much the home of repressed, angry nerds with money up until the last decade or so, so even being Very Online wouldn't have exposed you to many marginalized people, and if it did, it was entirely likely it was to make fun of them. (see: SA's crusade against furries, which was thinly veiled homophobia) I'm willing to give Karen From Finance the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially since all her apologies are along the lines of "what i did was wrong, ive altered the parts of it that continue to exist, but to anyone who sees what it was in the past i apologize and recognize that what i did was hurtful" and not "i apologized why is this still a thing." People do stupid poo poo in their late teens and early 20s, and if someone's taken the steps to ensure new people aren't hurt by their current actions, I'm willing to forgive them. It's entirely possible they'd just never seen someone object to it before.

* context: i never quite hit the binary and there are frequently times where i shift from "vaguely nonbinary yet intensely experiencing gender" to "gender is fake and i dont have one, actually." i spent a couple years posting attack helicopter jokes and making fun of esoteric gender descriptors, even though I now describe my gender as "heavy eye makeup and well tailored suits" which is not even CLOSE to being acceptable outside queer spaces

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What I gather is that he grew up loving some Golliwog doll that was given to him as a very young age and had some strong enough attachment to it to get it tattooed on his body. Pretty cringey but doesn''t seem like the most malicious intent. Who knows, maybe Harry Potter tattoos will be regarded in the same way if J.K. keeps opening her mouth.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

it's preeeeeetty demoralising to have this be apparently the best representation of aus drag that the producers could find. sure hope someone from casting is lambasted over this.

Don't forget that this represents the best of New Zealand drag as well!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I forgot what having free Friday nights was like

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

gandlethorpe posted:

I forgot what having free Friday nights was like

It's going to be great for as long as we have it.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So having just watched the first episode Christ, those production values are low; aren’t they?

From the tiny Werk Room with not enough mirrors to the rickity runway and poor lighting. If they’re going make a show can they at least make it look decent. It felt like loving Amateur hour behind the scenes. I know it was produced in the height of covid but if it impacted production, but perhaps they needed more time.

Having seen some of these queens, I was excited to see them finally ‘hit it big’. I can only hope the world watches and isn’t too ‘burnt out’ on drag race.

Wasn’t a big fan of the nude illusion category. As for the hometown look, Art & Karen’s were quintessential Melbourne. If they don’t make final 4, I’ll be surprised.

Ru not getting dressed for the panel was disappointing. Rhys is great and seems like a decent addition.

Would have loved to see more from Jojo. I hope they give her another go on S2.

Also wondering if next week is going to be anything like the rumours.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What are the rumours?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hearing ru say "piece of piss" gave me more joy than I expected

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are the rumours?

it is the most chaotic/messy/worst snatch game ever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

it is the most chaotic/messy/worst snatch game ever

And for Canadians, such as myself, we can watch it on Crave! :woop:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Does Ru's people just not vet for weird poo poo?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That seems really early for Snatch Game doesn't it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Incredibly. I don't know why they're doing it like this, but I'm not arguing.

I hope it's as messy and horrible as the preview made it seem :getin:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I haven't gotten through the whole down under episode yet but hunny in Rhyse Nicholson whoever you are when I can see the red dye past your hairline - no no hunny - You did it wrong.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 2, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Does Ru's people just not vet for weird poo poo?

the casting seems all over the place. as well as the easy-to-find problematic stuff, i thought it was odd that we got three queens who work directly in the same venue? like surely they could have cast that net a lil wider.

that said i don't know how small the drag scene is in NZ, and i honestly don't mind if there's a pre-existing rivalry for drama's sake, but all three of NZ's competitors knowing one another well seems wild

Andrew_1985 posted:

Ru not getting dressed for the panel was disappointing.

apparently this was an accidental one off and is rectified for the rest of the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

the casting seems all over the place. as well as the easy-to-find problematic stuff, i thought it was odd that we got three queens who work directly in the same venue? like surely they could have cast that net a lil wider.

that said i don't know how small the drag scene is in NZ, and i honestly don't mind if there's a pre-existing rivalry for drama's sake, but all three of NZ's competitors knowing one another well seems wild

apparently this was an accidental one off and is rectified for the rest of the season.

I wonder if Raven was just delayed in coming out of quarantine.

All Stars 2 did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Drag Race España premieres May 30:

https://twitter.com/DragRaceEs/status/1389908426910744583

The official cast list: https://worldofwonder.net/meet-the-10-fierce-new-queens-of-drag-race-espana/