Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mustache Ride posted:

DoomTrainPhD, what the hell is this racket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LGtskt4YGA

I want to get one of these and convert it into a camper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I want one for work. Currently shopping for Promaster/Transit and this would suit our needs better

Is there pricing and details to look at somewhere? Also, what is it called?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Also what's with the weird dents in the panels

That was odd, presumably it was built like that?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Nitrox posted:

I want one for work. Currently shopping for Promaster/Transit and this would suit our needs better

Is there pricing and details to look at somewhere? Also, what is it called?

I don't think you can buy one. They're custom made by Rivian for Amazon only: https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/transportation/amazons-custom-electric-delivery-vehicles-are-starting-to-hit-the-road

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

mobby_6kl posted:

Also what's with the weird dents in the panels

Probably single-walled. Many vans end up installing a cage inside to protect the body from stuff inside denting the exterior walls. I could see that being omitted to save weight with the reasoning that everything is inside a cardboard box that ‘couldn’t possibly dent the body!’

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Probably single-walled. Many vans end up installing a cage inside to protect the body from stuff inside denting the exterior walls. I could see that being omitted to save weight with the reasoning that everything is inside a cardboard box that ‘couldn’t possibly dent the body!’

Also it's a work truck. It probably had dented panels and a weird tendency to pull to the left within 5 minutes of taking delivery, and not a single employee can explain how they got there.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cross posting from the R/C thread.

My dream of full scale R/C cars are slowly becoming a reality.
Tamiya is taking steps towards releasing their entire 80's line up as 1:1 scale.
https://twitter.com/TamiyaUK/status/1387269257264869378?s=20

Edit: It even comes in a replica box of the original kit for self assembly!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

McTinkerson posted:

Cross posting from the R/C thread.

My dream of full scale R/C cars are slowly becoming a reality.
Tamiya is taking steps towards releasing their entire 80's line up as 1:1 scale.
https://twitter.com/TamiyaUK/status/1387269257264869378?s=20

Edit: It even comes in a replica box of the original kit for self assembly!

I mean, I live alone and have a two car garage...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finally some official VW data on MEB AWD turning circle (Norwegian site, should be the same on your country's VW site),in the ID.4 GTX sheet: https://www.volkswagen.no/no/kjope-bil/brosjyrer-og-priser.html

11.6 m vs RWD 10.2 m. Found a Model 3 spec at 11.8 m. Will be interesting to test in practice, my Model 3 date got moved to Monday. I'll do a 180 test in the same parking lot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...eable-batteries

I doubt this will go anywhere but the thought is that the main route for interstate freight on the east coast goes via one set of highways/freeways (Princes Highway / Motorway BNE to SYD, Hume Highway/Motorway SYD- MEL with the M7/Northconnex connecting both if you ware going BNE-MEL) so it's possible to set up battery exchange on set areas that already have large truck rest areas. This also is for existing trucks to get a EV conversion.

You need a fairly fixed route like the majority of the overnight trucking fleets that does the east coast in Aust for it to be viable.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi, thread. I'm trying to branch out to more of SA. This seems like a nice thread.

My wife and I have a Model 3 and my daughter has a Leaf. They're both fun in different ways: the Tesla is like a batmobile, and the Leaf is fun to upgrade with all the aftermarket dashcams and stereos and stuff.

Cruftette Jr has been driving this 80-mile round-trip three times a week, and it costs her between 60¢ and $1.20 to charge enough to get back home, depending on whether she remembered to charge up the day before. $1.20 would have gotten her diddly squat range in our old Subaru. This is awesome.

If anybody in here has any experience with the thing where you can run current out of the Leaf and into your house, I'd love to hear about how it's going for you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I haven't heard word one about the Leaf being used as a home battery except for articles about demos in Japan. Have you heard of people doing it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The only thing I've heard of associated with the leaf and house electricity is repurposing the worn packs for solar power storage.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.triplepundit.com/story/2011/nissan-leaf-will-power-homes-japan/74886

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

I haven't heard word one about the Leaf being used as a home battery except for articles about demos in Japan. Have you heard of people doing it?

I haven't heard of anyone yet, but I remain hopeful!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

There’s this thing but it doesn’t have Leaf support yet, mostly just Toyota hybrids.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
First teasers from VW for the ID.5, looks a lot like the ID.4 https://www.volkswagen.de/de/elektrofahrzeuge/elektrofahrzeugkonzepte/id-5.html

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Where is my 4wd EV Van? My CUV fatigue is high.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Vehicle to grid is still mostly a hypothetical thing, just some pilot programs out there. The next generation of Hyundai and Kia vehicles coming later this year will have 3.6kw electrical outlets though (either inside the vehicle or through an adapter on the charge port). I don't think we've seen yet what outlet the North American vehicles will use -- if it's a 240V one or what.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't like it but the shape resembles every other CUV so I accept I'm not the target audience.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

So loving boring.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Really shameful. I assumed VW would make a 5-7 seater family carrier shaped like a Lambo with afterburners and missile turrets.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Can you get it with that paint?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Popero posted:

So loving boring.

You say boring, I say accessible. EVs can't all be weirdmobiles if VW is converting their entire fleet.

I'm really excited about the microbus, I hope it lives up to the concept version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are they actually moving forward with the Microbus? I always loved that goofy car and remember seeing a modern concept like 15 years ago.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Apparently it's coming in 2023

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

More automobiles need to have sliding doors.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If that microbus shows up substantially unchanged and the EA network is better by then, that's going to be real tempting.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

If that microbus shows up substantially unchanged and the EA network is better by then, that's going to be real tempting.

By that point Rivians DCFC network should be open as well.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

lol if VW prices the microbus at $100k CAD like a Rivian.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 6, 2022

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I need to hide this from my wife or I'll be getting one of these.

Edit: Liking the ID. SPACE VIZZION as well, apart from the dumb name obviously. Could be the first proper EV estate (which obviously means it'll never come to market).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

half cocaine posted:

More automobiles need to have sliding doors.

Counterpoint:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Counterpoint:

That’s not a counterpoint at all? :swoon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Counterpoint:

I think you mean "case in point". GIVE IT TO ME

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They won’t. Rivian is a new company and the expensive Truck is to get enough cash going to mass produce a more affordable Truck. VW already has enough cash flow to make a vehicle for a normal(ish) price.

On the other hand, VW can charge whatever they like for a new microbus and sell every single one, because it's a microbus. The VW California camper van starts at £55k, and it isn't even electric.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The moment dieselgate got exposed to the world, an electric VW microbus should have become priority #1 for the whole company.

Instead, we’re getting it in 2023.

Maybe. If they feel like it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think the Ford dealership is trying to poach my day one Mach e GT reservation in order to say it was an abandoned order and put it on the lot with a big ADM, and then put a new retail order in for me which would put me at the back of the line and mean an additional delay of probably 6+ months.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The moment dieselgate got exposed to the world, an electric VW microbus should have become priority #1 for the whole company.

Instead, we’re getting it in 2023.

Maybe. If they feel like it.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it played out, it's just that converting multiple production lines to a radically different drivetrain is incredibly complicated, even if you've been making cars for almost a century and know a thing or two about manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

I think the Ford dealership is trying to poach my day one Mach e GT reservation in order to say it was an abandoned order and put it on the lot with a big ADM, and then put a new retail order in for me which would put me at the back of the line and mean an additional delay of probably 6+ months.

Time to call Ford corporate?