Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stickman posted:

There's also Dakka Squadron, which looks like it might have turned out to be decent? Maybe?

And Eisenhorn: Xenos which I had never heard of and was apparently bad enough that they stopped selling it...

Eisenhorn was basically a mobile port to PC yeah and was very disappointing even for that. They got Mark Strong for Eisenhorn even which is just pitch perfect casting and then blech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Begemot posted:

The trick for the swamp is: just go buy a bunch of antidote moss and run for it. If you hug the edge you can avoid most of the enemies down there (except the infinitely spawning mosquitos, of course) and MOSTLY stay on dry ground, except for a few stretches.

Yeah, in hindsight I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't just do this. Instead I was like "Welp, that's too dangerous to cross, I'm outta here", even though I clearly saw enemies and loot on the other side. I should've investigated, especially since there's a bonfire so closeby anyway.

Anyway, second bell has been rung and I indeed know where I'm going next. Just as soon as I kill this Ceaseless Discharge. I mean I already got the loot I suppose so I can just bail, but this is pissing me off on principle. First boss fight that feels proper bullshit, but maybe I just need a break.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't just do this. Instead I was like "Welp, that's too dangerous to cross, I'm outta here", even though I clearly saw enemies and loot on the other side. I should've investigated, especially since there's a bonfire so closeby anyway.

Anyway, second bell has been rung and I indeed know where I'm going next. Just as soon as I kill this Ceaseless Discharge. I mean I already got the loot I suppose so I can just bail, but this is pissing me off on principle. First boss fight that feels proper bullshit, but maybe I just need a break.

Yeah take a break and come at him again later. There are a couple of extremely easy ways to beat him but a bit like the Taurus Demon falling off the bridge, you'll probably feel better if you do it legit :)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My strategy for the Taurus Demon was 'ok my reaction time is too slow to dodge his swings so I'm going to lure him down the ladder, climb the ladder then jump on his head and repeat until he's dead.
The reaction time thing would come back to bite me in the Ornstein/Smough fight. Which I won by getting Super...whichever the lanky one was stuck on a pillar and crossbowing him to death. I took a break after that fight. The break has lasted the better part of a decade.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

Not gonna mouse over the spoiler, but would you say the game is worth it? I've got it wishlisted!

Yes, definitely.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

first major content patch for Everspace 2 dropped today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-SFjsXaXE

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1128920?updates=true&emclan=103582791465187005&emgid=3059610062005482098

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 28, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm waiting until 1.0 but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 28, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's pretty silly how meaningful it is to me to have a cockpit view in a space/6DoF game where all of the panels actually display useful, current information but I really do appreciate it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Yeah take a break and come at him again later. There are a couple of extremely easy ways to beat him but a bit like the Taurus Demon falling off the bridge, you'll probably feel better if you do it legit :)

So I have a gameplay question related to this, as I just couldn't stay away...

I switched to as much fire-resistant gear as I had (basically Quelana's whole set) with the thinking that I'd just tank the long-range fire attack. I have a Dragon Crest Shield equipped but having it up or down does absolutely no difference to the amount of damage I take. So do you not actually need to have a shield up to get its resistance bonus? Seems unlikely in this game, but I don't know why it's not doing anything unless it's specific to this boss/attack.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

So I have a gameplay question related to this, as I just couldn't stay away...

I switched to as much fire-resistant gear as I had (basically Quelana's whole set) with the thinking that I'd just tank the long-range fire attack. I have a Dragon Crest Shield equipped but having it up or down does absolutely no difference to the amount of damage I take. So do you not actually need to have a shield up to get its resistance bonus? Seems unlikely in this game, but I don't know why it's not doing anything unless it's specific to this boss/attack.

In Souls gear resistance just exists, yeah. There are a couple edge cases on this but having a shield up to block a spell will generally not decrease the damage in any way. In Ceaseless Discharge's case, fire resist is only going to do so much because of how hard his attacks hit.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Orv posted:

In Souls gear resistance just exists, yeah. There are a couple edge cases on this but having a shield up to block a spell will generally not decrease the damage in any way. In Ceaseless Discharge's case, fire resist is only going to do so much because of how hard his attacks hit.

All right, so shield up is basically just for actual blocking of physical attacks then, and I get whatever bonus resistances it has either way. That's good to know!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

I think the devs said something to the effect that they wanted to come back and re-do that fight. It's the least polished area in the game, but now that you have rung both bells you also have one of the best areas to look forward to!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think the devs said something to the effect that they wanted to come back and re-do that fight. It's the least polished area in the game, but now that you have rung both bells you also have one of the best areas to look forward to!

Seriously yeah Sen's is so great, just a real treat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

That sounds wrong to me, but I've never used shields so hell if I know for sure. I'm pretty sure shield values do only apply when blocking and you absolutely can block spells, but only if you have the appropriate protection (you'll just rarely ever reach 100% protection against anything but physical).

Edit: Beyond Wikidot backing me up w/r/t shields it also makes it sound like Ceaseless's fire attack just isn't meant to be tanked. Way too much damage. Also if it's multi-hit than the Dragon Crest Shield's middling stability (and your character's likely minimal poise) is gonna let you block the first few ticks with that fat 85% fire protection and then it's gonna break through and toast you.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

That sounds wrong to me, but I've never used shields so hell if I know for sure. I'm pretty sure shield values do only apply when blocking and you absolutely can block spells, but only if you have the appropriate protection (you'll just rarely ever reach 100% protection against anything but physical).

Edit: Beyond Wikidot backing me up w/r/t shields it also makes it sound like Ceaseless's fire attack just isn't meant to be tanked. Way too much damage. Also if it's multi-hit than the Dragon Crest Shield's middling stability (and your character's likely minimal poise) is gonna let you block the first few ticks with that fat 85% fire protection and then it's gonna break through and toast you.

Huh, yeah turns out I am wrong. In my defense I haven't used a shield since my first Demon's Souls playthrough. :v:

But yeah Ceaseless Discharge is not really meant to be fought mano a mano, I'll say that much.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1387500559041654785

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Probably just a soundtrack

Orv
May 4, 2011
No. :negative:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Not sure I'd want dlc for Outer Wilds. It's a complete experience, I'm really not sure where they would go with dlc without taking away from what is already there:shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ymgve posted:

Probably just a soundtrack

you can already buy the soundtrack on steam.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Might be a remix album

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dark Souls has a lot of really awful animations and hitboxes, but Ceaseless probably has the worst. He has attacks that you either need to do a lot of guessing or look at a video to even understand what the gently caress is going on hitbox wise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Not sure I'd want dlc for Outer Wilds. It's a complete experience, I'm really not sure where they would go with dlc without taking away from what is already there:shrug:

I would take a separate story with just more cool environments honestly. Outer Wilds is one of the only puzzle games I've ever enjoyed and is a genuinely awesome experience. I don't think they should tack anything onto the game that already exists but more of that whole thing is hell yeah please.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I want an ability to pause time in Outer Wilds so that I could actually explore at my leisure :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm having this occasional problem where I'll go to start a game that is absolutely installed, it triggers the install pop up (and even changes the play button to install, so I haven't found a way around it) and when I click ok it bascially downloads nothing and becomes "installed". Is this a steam problem or a game problem? Normally I'd just shrug it off but it's corrupting my saves

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I want an ability to pause time in Outer Wilds so that I could actually explore at my leisure :(

Looks like there is a mod for that. Never used it myself so no idea if it works well.

https://www.nexusmods.com/outerwilds/mods/4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hub Cat posted:

Let's see, they announced EGS exclusivity 2 weeks before release after taking support money for keys. Ended up having to do a lot of refunds over that.

So when I see "DLC" all I'm thinking is "lazy tacked-on content for a cash grab"

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 29, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Finally installed Hollow Knight. Anything major I should know before getting too far in? Just got the dash and hoping I make it back to my ghost holding like 1k souls.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zesty posted:

Let's see, they announced EGS exclusivity 2 weeks before release after taking support money for keys. Ended up having to do a lot of refunds over that.

So when I see "DLC" all I'm thinking is "lazy tacked-on content for a cash grab"

wow that IS zesty

Anyhow, hopefully the dlc is good but I'll also take a remix soundtrack by noted musician Skrillex

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Joe Man posted:

Finally installed Hollow Knight. Anything major I should know before getting too far in? Just got the dash and hoping I make it back to my ghost holding like 1k souls.

The post-release 'free dlc' content is all hidden in weird obscure ways that you probably won't find on your own. The Godmaster content is a sort of boss-rush mode (you unlock more bosses as you beat them in the main game), and the Grimm Troupe stuff is a bunch of extra fights and NPCs and a sidequest that you can do throughout your playthrough. I never even knew they existed until I started looking stuff up to get the 100% ending.

Once you get the Dream nail upgrade a decent ways into the game, you can access both. The Godshome is behind a hidden wall in the Royal Waterways. The Grimm Troupe content starts by interacting with something behind two hidden walls in the Howling Cliffs, which iirc is a completely optional area that you might never enter.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

who the gently caress is this for? i don't understand. i thought this was like, a game you play for a half hour and relax and decorate your island, do some fishing, learn about the islanders and help them out, and slowly expand the island outward. but instead it's, a game you play for 2 hours a day or quests will take months, crafting decorations will take weeks so you can't really decorate, some resources flat out aren't harvestable every day, so you can't even run around playing mindlessly. it gives me the same vibes as when Borderlands 2 completely changed its game balance to target only its most hardcore fans.

oh and if you try to time travel there's a high chance your save gets corrupted.

"Play the game for a chill half-hour or so each day" was the initial impression I had of Cozy Grove. Sucks to hear that the game turned out this way. Thanks for the write-up

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wow, really going after that Don't Starve market with that design, aren't they?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Orv posted:

I would take a separate story with just more cool environments honestly. Outer Wilds is one of the only puzzle games I've ever enjoyed and is a genuinely awesome experience. I don't think they should tack anything onto the game that already exists but more of that whole thing is hell yeah please.

I think selling it as DLC kind of has to put it in the same universe if not explicitly a continuation or a prologue, if it was something self-contained it would make more sense to market it as a new title(or like a sequel) (edit: Unless it's pretty short I guess idk)

I mean don't get me wrong I'm interested in whatever they're making just you know please don't retroactively gently caress it up lol

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 29, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hub Cat posted:

Three words:

First Person Combat Action

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh of course!

It’s the spaceship time trial challenges DLC.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1387531813946413059
https://twitter.com/Mobius_Games/status/1387531995568214016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
eye don't get it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well this one is amusing because Hearthians have four eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Echoes = repetition = roguelike mode!