Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

xzzy posted:

I think a full fledged hunting/tracking system would be cool but if one were gonna make it that big an event that animal better drop more than two meals worth of food and 1/5 the leather needed to make a single piece of gear.

Y'all need to be making your own game if you think spending three hours to run down a digital deer is a good time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

thespaceinvader posted:

I kind of wish you could persistence hunt deer tbh. One of the major ways early human hunters hunted was simply by out-stamina-ing things used to sprinting away from ambush predators by kind of... gently jogging behind them until they collapsed. Deer being able to just continuously run bugs me a bit. Not a lot, mind.

I like when they're so horrified by my presence, even if im not threatening them, they start crossing the ocean

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Christ, I just want to find some serpents to kill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Serpents have set spawn points so if you see one make sure to mark it. Then sail there at night and your odds of seeing one goes way up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tetrabor posted:

Y'all need to be making your own game if you think spending three hours to run down a digital deer is a good time...

No one is arguing the deer stamina bar should be that big.

Honestly enemies following the rules of the player for the most part (not being able to use weapons in water, having stamina) seems like it would be big improvement that could also add mote meaningful variety by letting mobs who don't follow those rules stand out more (making it so undead don't have stamina concerns for example)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

Fishing Planet and TheHunter: Call of the wild already exist so no need

But also no one was asking for a three hour ordeal at all, what a completely bonkers number to pull out of your rear end for no other reason than to be snarky

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Magmarashi posted:

But also no one was asking for a three hour ordeal at all, what a completely bonkers number to pull out of your rear end for no other reason than to be snarky
Not trying to be snarky, but if you actually read the op then you would discover that's literally what's being talked about :

thespaceinvader posted:

I kind of wish you could persistence hunt deer tbh. One of the major ways early human hunters hunted was simply by out-stamina-ing things used to sprinting away from ambush predators by kind of... gently jogging behind them until they collapsed. Deer being able to just continuously run bugs me a bit. Not a lot, mind.

Early hunters didn't run down deer in minutes, it literally took hours and miles of chasing to do so.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you think that guy actually meant chasing a deer around the woods for hours?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tetrabor posted:

Not trying to be snarky, but if you actually read the op then you would discover that's literally what's being talked about :

Early hunters didn't run down deer in minutes, it literally took hours and miles of chasing to do so.

When I forge a new sword it takes me about 1 second to make too. Just a few hammerstrikes and I'm done. So simple, I'm not sure what medieval smiths were on about.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

Literally doesn't mean "I took the wildest context from what was said for no other reason than I could"

Kibayasu posted:

Do you think that guy actually meant chasing a deer around the woods for hours?

lol Apparently so

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Despite how cranky this thread is my friends and I managed to beat the plains boss. Well prepared with potions and max equipment, was fun but not a risk of losing at any point. I still want to explore the world, but without the pressure of a boss or new materials, I think we'll end up waiting for more content.

I spent 104 hours on it getting our world to this point, which seems like an amazing deal for an early access game that still has more to give. I'm super pleased and excited for more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tetrabor posted:

A day in this game is twenty minutes long, friend. And the entire world is twenty kilometres across.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but your viking is very small

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

the trolls and greydwarves don’t look anything like in real life either

jfc is it too much to ask for some realism in my iron age simulator?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think the "realism to make the game harder" people are just clapping back at the "realism to make the game easier/convenient" people cause its like hooooo boy, you do NOT want realism or you're in for an insanely boring time.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im going to go outside and chase a deer until it dies

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Blaise330 posted:

I think the "realism to make the game harder" people are just clapping back at the "realism to make the game easier/convenient" people cause its like hooooo boy, you do NOT want realism or you're in for an insanely boring time.

I just figured hunting deer with a bow was enough of a game mechanic, but apparently everyone wants to run with the wild and are very defensive about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought it was an interesting conversation, I don't want the game remade into realism simulator.

This thread is turning into an endless grumpfest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
a guy used to bow hunt on our farm and he would spent a day trying to find where a deer would bed down then spend hours crawling close enough through the grass to shoot it. it was either do that or just sit in a tree stand forever

valheim is easy mode

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Realism would be hilarious for like an April Fool's update. Mine 20-30 lbs of surface ore to get a single bar of metal, carving out stone blocks from solid rock and dragging them across log rollers to get back to base where you have to carefully cantilever them into position and like a quarter of them break before you can.

For real, though, I do want to run down deer or at least have the option. I don't love carrying around wooden arrows so I don't have to waste good ones to get rid of weirdo yipping deer while I'm doing other things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plastik posted:

Realism would be hilarious for like an April Fool's update. Mine 20-30 lbs of surface ore to get a single bar of metal, carving out stone blocks from solid rock and dragging them across log rollers to get back to base where you have to carefully cantilever them into position and like a quarter of them break before you can.

Don't forget the part where if you find a silver vein, you spend weeks heating/cooling the rock with a fire until the rock cracks sufficiently that you can dig it out.. at a rate of about 1 meter per month.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use mercury to process your silver ore and die mad from the fumes

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't know about all this realism talk, I'm just enjoying running down deer while naked and wielding a flint knife.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I think I'm done decorating my main base / maypole mansion since I've run dry on any inspiration. Just have to finish building a small village around so I can get rid of all the random workbenches keeping enemies away and I can make a video tour. :shepicide:

Red is my color obviously. The blue banners and flowers are a tribute to my wife even though she doesn't play with me in this world.

I wish I had more inspiration to make the bedroom a little busier beyond extreme carpeting. The carpeting does extend throughout the large balcony that surrounds the bedroom too.

Today's project was a little, decorative gazebo to go on the other side of the mansion from the lighthouse and continue work on surrounding structures.

Next up is developing the waterfront to get rid of a ton of ugly workbenches. I'm at 675 hours played now and still can't stop. I haven't cheated in a single piece of anything in this world and I still love farming all the resources.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Floppychop posted:

I don't know about all this realism talk, I'm just enjoying running down deer while naked and wielding a flint knife.

:hmmyes:

Blaise330 posted:

Real Talk the sort of "Realism" we're talking about with regards to persistence hunting and Valheim is "Deer should not be able to run forever and ever, they should sprint a distance at great speed but at equally great cost to a limited stamina bar. Instead of chasing them being a marathon/biathlon you should wear them down to only being able to walk after a couple of sprints....IN ADDITION to just hitting them with a bow or rushdown clubbing them with a stick or w/e you like"

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2021

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Also we need to be able to trick trolls by mimicking their voices until they turn to stone in the sunlight. Anything else is just make believe.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Do monster invasions usually happen while you're away? Came back from a long-ish exploration trip to find a troll had already leveled my palissade wall and was now in the process of tearing down my longhouse as well. :argh:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

Do monster invasions usually happen while you're away? Came back from a long-ish exploration trip to find a troll had already leveled my palissade wall and was now in the process of tearing down my longhouse as well. :argh:

No, no mobs ever do anything outside of a radius around the player that seems to be about as far away as they'll render on highest settings. It's likely the troll got down to his foul labors as you were leaving, then stood there in stasis over the ruins on your palisade wall until you returned, whereupon he unfroze and got to wrecking the longhouse.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Plastik posted:

No, no mobs ever do anything outside of a radius around the player that seems to be about as far away as they'll render on highest settings. It's likely the troll got down to his foul labors as you were leaving, then stood there in stasis over the ruins on your palisade wall until you returned, whereupon he unfroze and got to wrecking the longhouse.

In essence, he was palisade parked.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For the record, I just want an alternative way of hunting deer that doesn't involve sneaking because sneaking is slow and frustrating.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

For the record, I just want an alternative way of hunting deer that doesn't involve sneaking because sneaking is slow and frustrating.

Sprinting after them naked with a knife lets you run faster than they do. Hunt the true way
Or pay attention to the wind and come at them from downwind and use a bow, they can't hear you until you're surprisingly close

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

One-shot sniping them with the bow from long distances doesn’t require sneaking.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Before I had any bow skill I hunted deer by running at them and tossing my spear caveman style. Missed a lot of throws but I'd get them sometimes.

Anyone still doing co-op stuff? I started playing on two of the goon servers in the PGS Valheim thread but I haven't seen any people/area development after a week.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Plastik posted:

For real, though, I do want to run down deer or at least have the option. I don't love carrying around wooden arrows so I don't have to waste good ones to get rid of weirdo yipping deer while I'm doing other things.

I've had good success running them down with the deer power and light armour.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the part where if you find a silver vein, you spend weeks heating/cooling the rock with a fire until the rock cracks sufficiently that you can dig it out.. at a rate of about 1 meter per month.

tf did I kill the lightning deer for then

realism sucks

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Had a quick look through the last couple pages but didn't see anything, just picked this up but was wondering if there are any mods I should be looking at

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just starting off, not really. If you find yourself getting really into building bases and stuff, there are some mods to make that a bit more streamlined and give you some more options. Once you start getting your skills up and exploring the world, you may also want some specific QoL mods relating to things like skill loss or map reveal size, but none of that will really be relevant to a new player.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Halman posted:

Had a quick look through the last couple pages but didn't see anything, just picked this up but was wondering if there are any mods I should be looking at

Nope. It's a great game out of the box. I would just dive in and then make tweaks later once you start running into things that you start wanting some QoL changes, but those are pretty user-specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Lozareth posted:

I think I'm done decorating my main base / maypole mansion since I've run dry on any inspiration. Just have to finish building a small village around so I can get rid of all the random workbenches keeping enemies away and I can make a video tour. :shepicide:

Red is my color obviously. The blue banners and flowers are a tribute to my wife even though she doesn't play with me in this world.

I wish I had more inspiration to make the bedroom a little busier beyond extreme carpeting. The carpeting does extend throughout the large balcony that surrounds the bedroom too.

Today's project was a little, decorative gazebo to go on the other side of the mansion from the lighthouse and continue work on surrounding structures.

Next up is developing the waterfront to get rid of a ton of ugly workbenches. I'm at 675 hours played now and still can't stop. I haven't cheated in a single piece of anything in this world and I still love farming all the resources.

Once again, really awesome.