Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

Have you considered a street fighter 848?

Now that I'm looking, there are very few for sale. I found this local one, but the mileage seems "high" to me.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/austin-2012-ducati-streetfighter-848/7299981769.html

I'm in no rush, but I'm surprised how few there are. Similarly, I didn't find too many 899 Panigales. I don't know much about them, but I did test ride one around COTA and it was pretty cool.

Found this guy, but the Florida plate and "need to sell by April 23" makes me suspicious.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/mcy/d/corpus-christi-2014-ducati-899-panigale/7298270519.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Now that I'm looking, there are very few for sale. I found this local one, but the mileage seems "high" to me.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/austin-2012-ducati-streetfighter-848/7299981769.html

17k miles on an 8/9 year old bike isn't high, that's less than 3k a year. As long as they have actual receipts from a proper garage for the 15k service it's absolutely fine (for :italy: values of "fine"). TBH I'm more concerned by the list of replacement parts, which scream "has been dropped more than once" to me, and I'd really carefully check the rest of the bike for evidence of that. This goes double because the seller has listed the brands of the actual performance bits they've put on it, but the "ah gently caress that's bent" replacement bits not so much.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Starting to keep my eye on standard or scramblers around $6k. Decent market for em! I kinda like Harley Sportsters, but they're all hilariously expensive around here. Not too many Triumphs go up, which is a shame. I don't know if I like the Ducati Scrambler. I'm trying to figure out where I fall, lol.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Starting to keep my eye on standard or scramblers around $6k. Decent market for em! I kinda like Harley Sportsters, but they're all hilariously expensive around here. Not too many Triumphs go up, which is a shame. I don't know if I like the Ducati Scrambler. I'm trying to figure out where I fall, lol.

Not sure if you know, but FYI the Sixty-2 is the smaller version of the regular Scrambler.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Looking on FB marketplace for bikes in my area and uh wow. $15k firm for a 2012 GSXR1000. MSRP for a brand new 2021 GSXR1000 is $15,799 and it hasn't had this done to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I NO WHAT I GOT

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I NO WHAT I GOT

Yeah, a nice bike you hosed up by stretching it and adding a stupid fat tyre, which will take more effort and money to un-gently caress than it would be to buy a new one.

Someone should say these sorts of things to idiots selling these monstrosities.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Yuns posted:

Looking on FB marketplace for bikes in my area and uh wow. $15k firm for a 2012 GSXR1000. MSRP for a brand new 2021 GSXR1000 is $15,799 and it hasn't had this done to it.

Someone make the Predator hand clasp meme:

CUSTOMER CHOPPER GUYS 🤝 EXTENDED SWINGARM GUYS

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Shouldn’t the presence of those ads suggest the existence of an equally stupid market that’s actually interested in these “rare finds”?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No. Even in the broke and stupid grom world nobody wants to buy a non stock grom. They don't want your dumb extended swingarm, lowered, underglow, custom fat wheels, $$$$ rearsets, zero practical engine/suspension mods, monstrosity. They want a bone stock grom to immediately buy and put those exact same parts on right away.

There are people, even locally, who have $12k+ into their groms and I do. not. get. it. But it makes them happy so whatever I guess.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Everyone needs a hobby.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Huh first H2 I've ever seen listed privately.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/d/casa-grande-2016-kawasaki-ninja-h2/7306271169.html

Wonder how a $30k USD private cash sale would even go. You both show up with your bodyguards and make the handoff at the same time, like a big drug deal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Cash only” probably at least extends to “cashiers check” at that large of a sum

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
better question, why would anyone pay 30k for his 5 year old used example when MSRP on a new one (assuming they can be found in stock) is $29500? "COVID has really screwed up the used bike market" doesn't really play for bikes that were already hard to find. He's asking $12k over NADA retail.

edit: regarding the "30k in cash" thing, US banks have to report any cash withdrawals larger than 10k, so yeah, unless he wants to limit his buyer base to drug dealers and preppers who keep their life savings under their mattress, he should probably consider taking cashier's checks

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 16, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao if you dont have 30K of walking around money on you at all times

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

better question, why would anyone pay 30k for his 5 year old used example when MSRP on a new one (assuming they can be found in stock) is $29500? "COVID has really screwed up the used bike market" doesn't really play for bikes that were already hard to find. He's asking $12k over NADA retail.

edit: regarding the "30k in cash" thing, US banks have to report any cash withdrawals larger than 10k, so yeah, unless he wants to limit his buyer base to drug dealers and preppers who keep their life savings under their mattress, he should probably consider taking cashier's checks

The CTR isn't really that big a deal, and banks are encouraged to file Suspicious Activity Reports for any amount so the "under 10k is untraceable" thing is kind of obsolete advice since 1992. The harder thing is that you usually have to give the bank a few days' notice to have the cash on hand for withdrawal of more than a few thousand dollars.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I wonder how often those kind of big ticket sales actually happen, I'd imagine people with the cash would just drop it at a dealer, otherwise it's getting financed. I've seen essentially new Ducatis and BMWs going up on Craigslist for really decent bluebook prices, but that means still in the 15k-20k range, and they don't seem to move.

I had a neighbor who got older and no longer able to ride his Harley which was in pretty pristine condition, he listed it a few places for a couple months then ended up just selling it to a dealer, this was pre-covid bike madness though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Midjack posted:

The CTR isn't really that big a deal, and banks are encouraged to file Suspicious Activity Reports for any amount so the "under 10k is untraceable" thing is kind of obsolete advice since 1992.

themoreyouknow.jpg - wasn't aware of that, now I know better

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I wonder how often those kind of big ticket sales actually happen, I'd imagine people with the cash would just drop it at a dealer, otherwise it's getting financed. I've seen essentially new Ducatis and BMWs going up on Craigslist for really decent bluebook prices, but that means still in the 15k-20k range, and they don't seem to move.

I had a neighbor who got older and no longer able to ride his Harley which was in pretty pristine condition, he listed it a few places for a couple months then ended up just selling it to a dealer, this was pre-covid bike madness though.

There's definitely a relative value of money decision that comes in to play at some threshold. I'd be far more likely to pay $5k used for a bike that sells for $8k new at a dealer and take my chances, compared to paying $22k for a bike that sells new for $25k. I'd just pay the extra $3k and buy new in that case, even though it's the exact same amount of money.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

There's definitely a relative value of money decision that comes in to play at some threshold. I'd be far more likely to pay $5k used for a bike that sells for $8k new at a dealer and take my chances, compared to paying $22k for a bike that sells new for $25k. I'd just pay the extra $3k and buy new in that case, even though it's the exact same amount of money.

Different amounts of total risk though, assuming PO fuckery can reduce value to zero.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dealership will finance used bikes along with all the gear and farkles that you choose to grab at the time of sale. An average person doesn't have $3000 in the bank account, let alone 22k. I'm fact, some dealers will sell your personal bike out of their showroom, with fees and predatory interest rate tackled on top. Zero risk to the dealer, and you don't have to deal with people trying to trade you a live chicken and AR-15.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do any goons own the new Aprila RS 660? It's really peaked my interest since I read about it it-- IMU/cornering ABS, TCS, engine brake control, etc-- and not in a liter bike with 150+ hp that I don't need or particularly want.

Also, it comes in some very good colors.

Any reason I shouldn't sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2021 model RS 660? I'll have to go test ride one when I get a chance-- the only downside there is that the Aprilia dealership is on the side of a really lovely interstate that I have no desire getting near on a motorcycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aprilia parts availability is utterly miserable, they are meant to be super fun though.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I can only imagine that dealership's parts desk

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Greg12 posted:

I can only imagine that dealership's parts desk

I'll guess there isn't one. Most Aprilia parts in the US end up getting ordered from AF1. Piaggio required that any Vespa dealers carry something like 100k-500k in parts when they first returned to the US in the 2000s, and it meant that most dealers had a hard time staying afloat because they had big bank loans. I think they've avoided big parts inventory requirements since then.

I can't speak for the RS660, but I've owned a RS50 and a Tuono Factory (the twin, not the v4). I'd be worried that the RS660 wouldn't be much of a step up from a SV650, but that it would be a pain to own for a long period of time. The Tuono I had destroyed two instrument clusters, one magnesium rear wheel (the wheel bearing seized and ripped out the bearing race), and one headlight in ~3 years, and I sold it the minute the warranty was up. The total cost for parts on the warranty claims was something like $8k, and I paid $9k for the entire bike as a leftover inventory deal. Ask around for RXV450/550 stories if you really want to hear some terrible stuff. The first batch of bikes had something like a 90 day warranty, and the engines were melting down at ~1000 miles, right after the warranty ended.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Do any goons own the new Aprila RS 660? It's really peaked my interest since I read about it it-- IMU/cornering ABS, TCS, engine brake control, etc-- and not in a liter bike with 150+ hp that I don't need or particularly want.

Any reason I shouldn't sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2021 model RS 660? I'll have to go test ride one when I get a chance-- the only downside there is that the Aprilia dealership is on the side of a really lovely interstate that I have no desire getting near on a motorcycle.

I rode one for about 20 minutes. You can find my not necessarily insightful thoughts here.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I was interested until I found out it's a parallel twin. Got my eyes set on a Tuono RR if I ever get insurance money to replace my old Tuono

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MetaJew posted:

FWIW I did one of the Aprilia track days that Toe Rag did and despite definitely preferring the engine in the Daytona I'm still considering one if my bike is totaled. No idea what the Aprilia ownership experience is like though, but I imagine it will be more frustrating than the Daytona.

Razzled posted:

I was interested until I found out it's a parallel twin. Got my eyes set on a Tuono RR if I ever get insurance money to replace my old Tuono

I keep on getting facebook ads for those and they're also very tempting.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I guess good news for me is that AF1 is my local dealership.

I'm primarily interested in getting more modern safety features and things like an IMU, TCS, etc. To get the same features in a vtwin bike, I think the 2019 959 is the comparable bike. Which is probably a great bike but a bit more aggressive than I think I want.

I road the 899 on COTA back in 2015, I think, and it was great for the few minutes I was on it for sure. But it was definitely a bike for a faster rider than me, I think.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I was wondering what kind of dealer would have that mix of brands. If AF1 is your local dealership, and you like the bike, you should have good local support for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wzm posted:

I was wondering what kind of dealer would have that mix of brands. If AF1 is your local dealership, and you like the bike, you should have good local support for it.

It's four brands from the same company + norton, ural and zero.

I'm surprised that there even still is a norton dealer in the US after what went down, maybe they just forgot to take the sign down?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What went down?

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/30/taken-for-a-ride-how-norton-motorcycles-collapsed-amid-acrimony-and-scandal

I've had friends who briefly sold Urals, and said that business was just as sketchy as the new Norton. I was saying it's odd for any dealer to bother putting those names up on a sign. Supposedly Ducati used to be similar in the 1980s and 1990s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

wzm posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/30/taken-for-a-ride-how-norton-motorcycles-collapsed-amid-acrimony-and-scandal

I've had friends who briefly sold Urals, and said that business was just as sketchy as the new Norton. I was saying it's odd for any dealer to bother putting those names up on a sign. Supposedly Ducati used to be similar in the 1980s and 1990s.

I have an acquaintance who managed to become the UK distributor for Ural (I think - now I'm actually doubting myself and thinking it might have been Jawa or another eastern European company that makes outfits) in the early naughties after an enquiry about spare parts availability to the factory got a bit out of hand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-honda-cb750/

'70 CB750 on BAT currently sits at $20k

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
When the cops realize they don't like riding after they threw a bunch of money at a new bike

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ahaha
Hahahahahaha
AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Ahaha
Hahahahahaha
AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

:wtc:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I really like these dumb little things but you are high AF if you think you can get $6k in American dollars for that frankenscooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

obviously you missed the yoshi exhaust