Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fun Times! posted:

Echoes = repetition = roguelike mode!

Outer Wilds Randomizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Echoes = sound, clearly it’s a rhythm game with all our musical buddies

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Yakuza remaster got me thinking all the way back to Shenmue I and I finally decided to check it out, having playing it repeatedly almost 2 decades ago.

Weirdly, and I'm only an hour or so in, there's something just so engaging about it. There's no map, no UI clues, no quest arrows. All you have is a notebook, and the vague clues you get from the NPCs. It really does capture the feeling of trying to step out into the world and solve the mystery. You can really go anywhere and explore anything, even if tons of the stuff is just there to exist so you could interact with it to give a sense of the open world.

I've been pretty down on the idea of those types of games, especially Pathologic 2 having initially wanted to do it, but the small setting and the way that many NPCs will have a minor clue or direct you to someone who might just works. The time passing and day/night cycle having to find people, check shop hours, etc. makes everything feel far more rewarding when you get it right or figure it out.

The having to train up the martial arts moves is kind of lame, you just find a practice ground and repeat the combo over and over again. I think from playing it so long ago you just need to master a few of the basic moves and it's more then enough to beat the game. Making the combat aspect of the game a whole Virtua Fighter thing is definitely the weakest part so far.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Acerbatus posted:

I'm super dumb how do I delete cloud saves? I want to show a friend a game with a fresh save.

Very late on this post, and cannot help you about deleting :smithcloud: stuff unfortunately, but thought I'd share something I learned today about Steam :yaycloud:. You can actually view and download all your :yayclod: stuff from this page.

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage

Neat huh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Been eyeing Second Extinction since it was announced, and today I finally bought it when I saw it was 25% off. Only very briefly tested it so far (did the tutorial and free roamed around the map for like an hour), but it feels pretty promising for some overblown co-op shooter action nonsense. Pretty light on content so far, but what's there seems like really solid goofy fun. I suppose that does depend on your tolerance for repetitive horde shooter action though; mine's pretty high.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so valkyria chronicles 4 (which i had forgotten i still had installed) updated the standard game to include all dlc for free today. i guess that's nice?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

K8.0 posted:

Dark Souls has a lot of really awful animations and hitboxes, but Ceaseless probably has the worst. He has attacks that you either need to do a lot of guessing or look at a video to even understand what the gently caress is going on hitbox wise.

Yeah I have not been able to consistently dodge any of it, at all. And the fire is straight up undodgeable as far as I can tell. Frankly my plan for today is to grab my ~6500 souls and Homeward Bone outta there, may Ceaseless Discharge continue to discharge ceaselessly for a while longer. I'd rather just make some progress than bang my head against this wall.

Another question: I have a couple of souls that the inventory informs me can be made into weapons if I so choose, but the blacksmith doesn't seem interested (neither does the second blacksmith I ran into in NLR). I don't want to 'use' them and accidentally turn them into souls, so will I eventually get that option to forge the weapons as I keep playing or do I need to do something specific? Also is there a way to know what weapon I'll get (other than looking it up on the wiki which I'd rather not)? I'm only really interested in halberds, maybe curved swords.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so valkyria chronicles 4 (which i had forgotten i still had installed) updated the standard game to include all dlc for free today. i guess that's nice?

oh wow

wonder if the switch version got that..

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah I have not been able to consistently dodge any of it, at all. And the fire is straight up undodgeable as far as I can tell. Frankly my plan for today is to grab my ~6500 souls and Homeward Bone outta there, may Ceaseless Discharge continue to discharge ceaselessly for a while longer. I'd rather just make some progress than bang my head against this wall.

Another question: I have a couple of souls that the inventory informs me can be made into weapons if I so choose, but the blacksmith doesn't seem interested (neither does the second blacksmith I ran into in NLR). I don't want to 'use' them and accidentally turn them into souls, so will I eventually get that option to forge the weapons as I keep playing or do I need to do something specific? Also is there a way to know what weapon I'll get (other than looking it up on the wiki which I'd rather not)? I'm only really interested in halberds, maybe curved swords.
You're correct that using a boss soul just gives you souls. You'll get the option to make weapons from them later. Only one of them is particularly good, and it's the curved sword one so have fun with that. A lot of them have interesting gimmicks despite being average to poor weapons, so if you don't mind taking the time it's worth playing around with more of them if they appeal at all. The way it works is they need a +10 weapon of some class + the soul, so you can tell in the upgrade menu what basic sort of weapon you're going to get.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

FYI this wasn't recent, all the DLC was made free on Steam in November 2019.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

K8.0 posted:

You're correct that using a boss soul just gives you souls. You'll get the option to make weapons from them later. Only one of them is particularly good, and it's the curved sword one so have fun with that. A lot of them have interesting gimmicks despite being average to poor weapons, so if you don't mind taking the time it's worth playing around with more of them if they appeal at all. The way it works is they need a +10 weapon of some class + the soul, so you can tell in the upgrade menu what basic sort of weapon you're going to get.

Thanks! I'll hold on to them for now then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Taratang posted:

FYI this wasn't recent, all the DLC was made free on Steam in November 2019.

i guess they just now collated it into a single game with no separate dlc, then.

edit: huh, it says that was 2019 in the news. so why is it updating now, 3 years after i last played this game and 2 years after the update was released?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 29, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

so why is it updating now, 3 years after i last played this game and 2 years after the update was released?

To remind you to do another playthrough since it's a good game?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Glare Seethe posted:

There are no boss halbers in Dark Souls 1, sadly. Closest you get are spears (two of them in total; one of them comes from the Moonlight Butterfly you defeated). Boss weapon variety is something 2 and 3 improve on a lot.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That's too bad, although I'm pretty happy with the Titanite Catch Pole to be honest. Maybe it's a little boring to keep using the same weapon but it's just a lot to fun to sprint at an enemy and pounce right as they start their attack animation.

I'm enjoying Sen's Fortress but so far can't find a bonfire for the life of me. I died to Iron Golem because that was the only place left to go to, but I know I missed loot inside, and hopefully that means I missed a bonfire as well because running from the blacksmith to Iron Golem every time seems insane. Surely not. Place is a little dark so I'll resume tonight when there isn't as much sunlight through my window, as that's not conductive to a thorough exploration.

Also gently caress that mimic.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sen's Fortress: There is a bonfire near the Iron Golem that's somewhat hidden, but there's also an unlockable shortcut that makes the run back from the blacksmith take only a short time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'll go back and read that spoiler later if I don't make any progress tonight, but thinking about it I have an idea for where a bonfire might be hiding and I'm looking forward to testing out the theory. Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong: one of the paths you can redirect the rocks down has a pit with a ladder, and the rocks fill it up so you go down and it's blocked. But where does that ladder lead if you don't redirect the rocks to that path?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

Been eyeing Second Extinction since it was announced, and today I finally bought it when I saw it was 25% off. Only very briefly tested it so far (did the tutorial and free roamed around the map for like an hour), but it feels pretty promising for some overblown co-op shooter action nonsense. Pretty light on content so far, but what's there seems like really solid goofy fun. I suppose that does depend on your tolerance for repetitive horde shooter action though; mine's pretty high.

It’s pretty good but definitely needs more mission, maps, and more variety outside of the missions. Me and a friend went through the missions and their difficulties over a few weekends but the open world stuff/finding upgrade materials just didn’t hold our attention for very long.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Volte posted:

Sen's Fortress: There is a bonfire near the Iron Golem that's somewhat hidden, but there's also an unlockable shortcut that makes the run back from the blacksmith take only a short time.

shocked_pikachu_unironic.gif

Wait what the gently caress?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Very late on this post, and cannot help you about deleting :smithcloud: stuff unfortunately, but thought I'd share something I learned today about Steam :yaycloud:. You can actually view and download all your :yayclod: stuff from this page.

Neat huh.

Props to Final Fantasy XII the Zodiac Age for good optimization, I have 84 save files and the total size is only 685.45 KB.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

Neat huh.

My only saves over 100 MB:

Pillars of Eternity 2 - 299 MB (74 files)
Baldur's Gate 3 - 255 MB (67 files)
Witcher 3 - 164 MB (145 files)
Testament of Sherlock Holmes - 157 MB (44 files)
Cyberpunk 2077 - 116 MB (82 files)

Most games are below 5 MB even with a large amount of files, which is impressive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up that Alien: Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are both free on the Epic Store right now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't believe they made a sequel to manos: the hands of fate

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ragequit posted:

My only saves over 100 MB:

Pillars of Eternity 2 - 299 MB (74 files)
Baldur's Gate 3 - 255 MB (67 files)
Witcher 3 - 164 MB (145 files)
Testament of Sherlock Holmes - 157 MB (44 files)
Cyberpunk 2077 - 116 MB (82 files)

Most games are below 5 MB even with a large amount of files, which is impressive.

Seeing Sherlock there is pretty funny. What on earth do they store in those files?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kennel posted:

Seeing Sherlock there is pretty funny. What on earth do they store in those files?

I was wondering the same thing. I completely understand Witcher, Pillars of Eternity, and Baldur's Gate games due to what needs to be saved. Same goes for the Divinity games which were also up there in size.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Golden Week sale up and.....where's my HuniePop! This won't stand Gabe. *unsheathes katana*

Guess I'll settle for some Dynasty Warriors instead.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Givin posted:

Golden Week sale up and.....where's my HuniePop! This won't stand Gabe. *unsheathes katana*

Nice. Guess I'll finally try NieR: Automata for $20 since a big fix is on the way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like Metal Gear Rising is $7.50 in the sale, snatch that up now if you haven't played it, it rules. Good time to get the yakuza series on PC, too.

Also echoing that Hand of fate 2 for free is a steal and worth installing EGS for.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Palpek posted:

Just a heads up that Alien: Isolation and Hand of Fate 2 are both free on the Epic Store right now.

I dont think they are

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

they were until like eleven AM today. they were last week's freebies.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

have the sale prices updated? only 10 things on my wishlist are showing as on sale E: and like half of those are on sale from the ludonarrative thing

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Which one is better, Blaster Master Zero or Blaster Master Zero 2?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Awesome! posted:

have the sale prices updated? only 10 things on my wishlist are showing as on sale E: and like half of those are on sale from the ludonarrative thing

Yeah, lots of games are on sale on my wishlist. Restart Steam if it seems stuck for you.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kly posted:

I dont think they are
I posted right after I got them there but lol it turns out that literally a minute after my post the freebies switched.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kly posted:

I dont think they are

Correct. Free offers changed just some hours ago. Now all you can get is some meaningless crap for a bad idle clicker game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Epic free games switch every Thursday at 1pm EST. I set a Friday alarm on my phone each week so I remember to grab them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ragequit posted:

I was wondering the same thing. I completely understand Witcher, Pillars of Eternity, and Baldur's Gate games due to what needs to be saved. Same goes for the Divinity games which were also up there in size.
[Testament of Sherlock Holmes]

Weirdly the saves are stored as jpg files.

It's not unheard of to store data in a file that shows as an image (Spore did it), but pretty odd decision in a game like this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Givin posted:

Unless I'm missing the joke here, the HuniePop developer is American.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, lots of games are on sale on my wishlist. Restart Steam if it seems stuck for you.

i guess i just currently have nothing on my wishlist from japan other than shiren and mega man 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BexGu posted:

Which one is better, Blaster Master Zero or Blaster Master Zero 2?

Zero, for sure