Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ben shapino posted:

This is exactly what I do and I was never taught to do it this way. It just makes so much more sense to do 3 easy calculations instead of one complex one.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For my rent (UK) I just pay manually with direct debit. That way I know that the money has gone out and that the system didn't glitch and fail to send it automatically and I won't have to worry about cancelling the payments if I ever move out (unlikely, I'm in a very comfortable rut right now :P).

Also an old topic now but on the praxis thing I just want to make sure I haven't misunderstood it's meaning. Is it the general thought process/commonly accepted knowledge behind how knowledge in a field is applied?

Like Medical Theory in the 1700 revolved around the balance of the humours. Medical practice was the people who were taught and applied that theory. Medical praxis would be "Welp, you got too much bad blood, which we will remove using leeches because that's the commonly accepted method of doing things." Alternate example of negative effects of praxis would be "Why should we start washing our hands now, we never had to before!" ie the accepted knowledge is outdated but overly prevalent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BioEnchanted posted:

For my rent (UK) I just pay manually with direct debit. That way I know that the money has gone out and that the system didn't glitch and fail to send it automatically and I won't have to worry about cancelling the payments if I ever move out (unlikely, I'm in a very comfortable rut right now :P).

Also an old topic now but on the praxis thing I just want to make sure I haven't misunderstood it's meaning. Is it the general thought process/commonly accepted knowledge behind how knowledge in a field is applied?

Like Medical Theory in the 1700 revolved around the balance of the humours. Medical practice was the people who were taught and applied that theory. Medical praxis would be "Welp, you got too much bad blood, which we will remove using leeches because that's the commonly accepted method of doing things." Alternate example of negative effects of praxis would be "Why should we start washing our hands now, we never had to before!" ie the accepted knowledge is outdated but overly prevalent.

Specifically in online Marxism it means "do you actually do anything to advance the cause or just talk a bunch."

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

That lines up with my understanding of theory & praxis. The missing piece here being that someone in the medical field having developed the theory of hand washing & applying it through praxis, would then collect results to affirm or refute the theory. Or people should have been collecting data on the effectiveness of the bloodletting work. The theory can then be adjusted based on the results of the praxis, and the cycle begins anew. Basically it's all well and good to sit on your rear end and come up with theories, but if you never put them to use, you're missing half the process.

And as your example highlights, having people adopt the new theory is much easier said than done.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I guess things must work different on the west coast because I've never had an issue with paying rent :shrug:

Every place I've lived at took debit or e-checks. Debit had like a 3% service fee on top of it, but e-checks were free and required barely anymore effort to set up. I've legitimately never written a paper check in my life.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Specifically in online Marxism it means "do you actually do anything to advance the cause or just talk a bunch."

Or trying to justify how your talking on Twitter is doing something. (It basically never is)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Praxis means the same thing as practice, but specifically refers to the "non-theory part of a framework" definition and not the "training" one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ishikabibble posted:

I guess things must work different on the west coast because I've never had an issue with paying rent :shrug:

Every place I've lived at took debit or e-checks. Debit had like a 3% service fee on top of it, but e-checks were free and required barely anymore effort to set up. I've legitimately never written a paper check in my life.

3% added to your RENT because you used debit? It doesn't cost 60 bucks to process that. What a load.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I send paper checks to my landlord for rent and utilities every month. But I've only ordered checkbooks once in my life, almost 2 decades ago, and I'm only now on my last one

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zesty posted:

3% added to your RENT because you used debit? It doesn't cost 60 bucks to process that. What a load.

Yeah, they always find a way to gently caress you, it just varies by location. Pretty sure on most of the West Coast they wouldn't let landlords charge a fee for using a debit card so you just aren't allowed to most places.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ben shapino posted:

it's actually good and funny to make fun of racists, imo
The format of the post is literally just a racist joke of "this is what black people sound like", but you're excusing it because then at the end they go "...is what THESE OTHER guys, who I'm making fun of, think! Gotcha!" The insult against white wokescolds is just the wrapper, not the punchline.
Telling a racist joke through a mouthpiece you painted to look like someone else is still telling a racist joke.

Like there's a million ways to make a joke about white liberals talking for/talking over black voices that doesn't involve mocking black people and the way you (sorry, "other people") think they talk.

Vib Rib has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Apr 29, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Do we really need to tap the "ironic racism is still racism" sign?

what if it's posted on a pink background

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goblin week posted:

what if it's posted on a pink background

Take it to QCS please

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Midnight Voyager posted:

On top of what everyone else said, there are cases where direct debit turns into "they take your money forever even when the service is no longer in service", too. Basically all of it comes down to scummy, lovely practices.

When I was young and stupid(er) and believed everything the people around me I idolized said, it was explained to me that certain chain gyms in the area were scams because to sign up you had to agree to direct debit and then if (when) you inevitably quit going, they never stop taking your money, even when you formally ask them to, and you have to basically change banks to get them to stop.

It took like ten years before I had enough anecdotes like that stacked up in a corner that I realized I could just put a label on it saying "maybe this is more about this one guy's financial habits and less about every company he has ever interacted with"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just cancel the direct debit instruction at your bank when the payments are no longer needed, the other party doesn’t control the flow of money, the bank does.

I could open my bank app now and stop every single payment that’s scheduled to go out of my account in a couple of taps, (assuming I wanted my mortgage to go unpaid and all my utilities in arrears).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I don't understand why the choice has to be "company can take money out of your bank" or "1960s paper checks". Can you not just wire money from your own account to your landlord/utilities manually?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doing a wire transfer involves going in to your bank and sitting down with a banker and filling out a paper form and paying a fee. It's a giant pain in the rear end reserved for things like making your first two months' payment of rent by 3:00PM the same day, or to ransom a family member, things you only ever have to do in the direst of need.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fishstick posted:

I don't understand why the choice has to be "company can take money out of your bank" or "1960s paper checks". Can you not just wire money from your own account to your landlord/utilities manually?

That's how it works in NZ.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Data Graham posted:

Doing a wire transfer involves going in to your bank and sitting down with a banker and filling out a paper form and paying a fee. It's a giant pain in the rear end reserved for things like making your first two months' payment of rent by 3:00PM the same day, or to ransom a family member, things you only ever have to do in the direst of need.
Did you send this post using a telegraph?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fishstick posted:

The U.S. version of this is that you go to your bank’s website and fill in a form.

The bank will print and mail a check to the entity you named, in the amount you named, at the address you named.

The recipient deposits it with their bank, often instantly via scanning the check, but potentially taking it physically to the bank.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

If I have to ransom a family member they'll have to put up with the cash left in a hollow tree at midnight. I'm old-fashioned in some ways.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fishstick posted:

Why would I do either of those when I can just tell the bank “pay this much every month”.

It’s not “letting the company take money out of your bank”, it’s “giving your bank instructions to send money to the company”.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would I do either of those when I can just tell the bank “pay this much every month”.

It’s not “letting the company take money out of your bank”, it’s “giving your bank instructions to send money to the company”.

That sounds like a recurring wire transfer, rather than a direct debit ? According to what I can find DD does in fact authorise the company to initiate a transfer:

https://gocardless.com/en-us/guides/intro-to-direct-debit/guide-for-payers/ posted:

A Direct Debit authorizes someone to collect payments from your account when they are due - for example, an accountant collecting a regular fee from you, or even Netflix collecting your monthly subscription.
You give this authorization by completing a Direct Debit mandate form - also known as an ACH authorization form in the US. This can be a paper form or a web page that you complete online.

Once you authorize a company, they can automatically take payments from you (provided that they comply with certain rules).

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. version of this is that you go to your bank’s website and fill in a form.

The bank will print and mail a check to the entity you named, in the amount you named, at the address you named.

The recipient deposits it with their bank, often instantly via scanning the check, but potentially taking it physically to the bank.
:psyduck:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wait, you guys can't just go to the website of your bank, log in with a variety of multiple factor identification methods for safety and tell them to send X amount to Y bank account, include a message to inform the recipient who it's from and what it's for, either once or recurring every month (or whatever)?

Like if I owe a friend some money I'll just ask for their account number and send it to them, takes a couple of minutes at most.
I remember like 15 years ago a friend got super pissed at me because I put in "Colombian drug money" in the note as a joke. Everyone else thought it was hilarious, though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fishstick posted:

That sounds like a recurring wire transfer, rather than a direct debit ? According to what I can find DD does in fact authorise the company to initiate a transfer:

:psyduck:

Yeah, it’s still you allowing your bank to release that money.

It’s not like they can just take whatever they want whenever they want to take it, they can take specific amounts at specific times that you yourself have specified in advance, and you can tell the bank at any time “stop letting them take that money” and it’ll happen.

Taeke posted:

I remember like 15 years ago a friend got super pissed at me because I put in "Colombian drug money" in the note as a joke. Everyone else thought it was hilarious, though.

“Hookers and blow” every time, until it ended up on a statement my friend had to give to a letting agency as part of a financial reference check to rent a house :v:

History Comes Inside! has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Apr 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taeke posted:

Wait, you guys can't just go to the website of your bank, log in with a variety of multiple factor identification methods for safety and tell them to send X amount to Y bank account, include a message to inform the recipient who it's from and what it's for, either once or recurring every month (or whatever)?

Like if I owe a friend some money I'll just ask for their account number and send it to them, takes a couple of minutes at most.

I don't know if it's just me but in the US, in my experience at least, nobody knows another person's bank account number, god no. That would be like someone giving you power of attorney, or that's what it would feel like you're asking them for.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The big difference is the money transfer system.
The US has a "pull" system, where the receiver initiates a pull from an account. Most of the rest of the world uses the "push" system where the payer initiates a transfer to the receiver's account.

Yes, the US money movement system is either a 100 year old insecure crap where exposing your account number can get you in trouble, OR scammy apps that live on the outskirts of legality.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gbut posted:

The US has a "pull" system, where the receiver initiates a pull from an account.

:stare:

sad question
May 30, 2020

That sounds impressively terrible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
PYF Disbelief That US Banking Doesn't Work Like Your Country's Banking

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

gbut posted:

The US has a "pull" system, where the receiver initiates a pull from an account. Most of the rest of the world uses the "push" system where the payer initiates a transfer to the receiver's account.

Yes, the US money movement system is either a 100 year old insecure crap where exposing your account number can get you in trouble, OR scammy apps that live on the outskirts of legality.

Holy poo poo, that’s insane

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

gbut posted:

So is bouncing a check a purely american thing?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always makes me smile seeing europeans surprised again and again by how poo poo the united states is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zesty posted:

I'd imagine it's a debit card, and they probably apply the same fee as they would for any other Visa/MC/whatever card because the card company is going to charge them a percentage to process it. It's common for a lot of large payment processors to take a roughly 3% cut for paying via card, any contractor I've hired that takes a card does it, my daughter's preschool does it if I pay her tuition via card, etc.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the normal card processing fee is 2.7% plus 30 cents. This is paid for by the merchant most of the time. And if you have cash back or anything that comes from the merchant too, so they might ask you to offset that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
At this point checks are not really a thing at all in the U.K. Few people may pay landlords or get wages in check form but they are not legal tender anymore.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if it's just me but in the US, in my experience at least, nobody knows another person's bank account number, god no. That would be like someone giving you power of attorney, or that's what it would feel like you're asking them for.

In Australia we have payid. You tell the bank which mobile phone number to link to your account, and then anyone who has your phone number can just go online and tell their bank "transfer $x to this phone number's linked account" and they can transfer the money without ever knowing any of your bank details, for free. It makes splitting bills at restaurants really easy because I can pay and all of my friends can instantly transfer the money to me for their meals quickly and easily, and if they use the same bank the money is in my account and available literally before we're out the door.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

AFewBricksShy posted:

So is bouncing a check a purely american thing?

Not really. A "bounced check" is when the check is settled and the bank account doesn't have enough balance.

e: there's this story, not sure how true it is, but sounds kinda like something that would happen in the US: American Express would accept any old account number to use for paying your credit card. And, because ACH is a pull system, you could get the account and routing numbers from any old check you see and AmEx would just pull the money, no questions asked. The fraud became so prevalent that the "verify your account by confirming these two small deposit amounts" became a common thing before initiating the pull, and now is the industry standard.

gbut has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Apr 29, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

xtal posted:

Yeah the normal card processing fee is 2.7% plus 30 cents. This is paid for by the merchant most of the time. And if you have cash back or anything that comes from the merchant too, so they might ask you to offset that.

This is also (as of 20 years ago anyway) why a lot of people didn't/don't take American Express, if I remember right they take closer to 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd imagine it's a debit card, and they probably apply the same fee as they would for any other Visa/MC/whatever card because the card company is going to charge them a percentage to process it. It's common for a lot of large payment processors to take a roughly 3% cut for paying via card, any contractor I've hired that takes a card does it, my daughter's preschool does it if I pay her tuition via card, etc.
When I was still working in porn, i think the best we ever got was 6½ on the discount and that was after months of "negotiations" I think the worst was 10, but that was after FirstData dumped all their adult accounts and it was eat the fees or go out of business.

Of course it should go without saying that however corrupt and lovely you think the credit card industry is, it's actually 30 times worse