Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Colombus' pear-earth was based on his observation that the North Star wasn't fixed in the sky, and so he reasonably extrapolated that toward the North there is a physical extrusion of the Earth toward Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

And what is modern Capitalism but mass human sacrifice to the God called Economy?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The celestial pole was legitimately four times farther from Polaris in Columbus’ day than it is in ours. He would have seen the distance between it and the horizon varying by up to seven degrees as the Earth rotated, but he was a dumbass for associating that with his own position and not with the rotation of everything else in the sky.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's funny that he assumed a top-like shape but didn't conceive of precession

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This series of comments on AskHistorians goes into why Columbus was so wrong about the westward distance to the Far East and what his contemporaries thought about it.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Platystemon posted:

This series of comments on AskHistorians goes into why Columbus was so wrong about the westward distance to the Far East and what his contemporaries thought about it.

Excellent link, thank you very much!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I keep thinking about mouth coins and god drat what a miserable era. was that only a Mediterranean thing or did sub-Saharan African and Indian and Chinese people do that as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wearable money as either a necklace of coins with holes in them or currency as a wire of precious metals that could be cut to pay for things were found in china/mesopotamia respectively.
cant do either and get your cool face out there tho like the greeks and romans wanted. coin images were a major early propaganda vector

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

a wire of precious metals that could be cut to pay for things

that sounds really cool, is there any (short) article about it you know of? also sounds like it could be counterfeited/debased a lot easier than a standard coin

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

indigi posted:

I keep thinking about mouth coins and god drat what a miserable era. was that only a Mediterranean thing or did sub-Saharan African and Indian and Chinese people do that as well

mouth coins were a big thing in the world of Gor if I recall

Real hurthling! posted:

wearable money as either a necklace of coins with holes in them or currency as a wire of precious metals that could be cut to pay for things were found in china/mesopotamia respectively.

another popular choice was to just chop up a precious metal object and pay with the bits and pieces

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

that sounds really cool, is there any (short) article about it you know of? also sounds like it could be counterfeited/debased a lot easier than a standard coin

how do you counterfeit a length of pure metal? youd think that people would notice pretty much immediately just by look and weight

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

indigi posted:

what do you mean mouth coins?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Coins you keep in your mouth. Its pretty self-explanatory

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

you gotta pay the reaper somehow and the mouth is a better purse for a dead man than the one at the other end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

how do you counterfeit a length of pure metal? youd think that people would notice pretty much immediately just by look and weight

dye it a different color or something idk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bedpan posted:

another popular choice was to just chop up a precious metal object and pay with the bits and pieces

yeah scales were required for most transactions.

indigi posted:

i no longer have jstor access sadly but if you search for like "mesopotamia silver coils" you'll get some good results

the coils look like this

some times they were cut into ringlets of a known weight and strung on something, sometimes they were left whole and wrapped around something or perhaps even worn on the arm/wrist.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

what do you mean mouth coins?

the burial practice of putting charon's toll in the mouth of a loved one may have its origin in people being used to carrying small amounts of change in their mouths to avoid theft in the crowded marketplace due to a lack of pockets. there is not much evidence of this theory besides a few literary references like one i mentioned a few posts ago where a character in Aristophanes' "the birds" exclaims that he swallowed his obol (coin) when he looked up to see a kite flying overhead. but its a funny theory to run with so i support it - even tho there is evidence of other cultures doing coins in the mouth in other parts of the world too so who knows. certainly not a drop out phd candidate like me thats more than a decade removed from research at this point.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

indigi posted:

less easy than you might think, originally coins were just a handy way to have an easily dividable amount of precious metal, and you would still weigh them out. there wasn't any kind of real "official value". And you can catch counterfeits very easily in that method of payment because the density of precious metals was both well known, and easily destinguishable even to a layman. Silver is more or less the same density as lead, and gold is twice that.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Help, I’ve Been Kidnapped by Maenads and Turned into an Incel (involuntary celebrant)

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This talk of using your mouth as a pocket for coins reminds me of Aristophanes' The Wasps, where this practice is mentioned twice:

quote:

Philocleon:
Ah, but I’ve forgotten the sweetest benefit of them all! And I get this when I come home with my payment, because everyone welcomes me at the front door and goes after my money. First in line is my darling daughter who gives me a bath, rubs my feet and relaxes them splendidly before she bends down and kisses me with “daddy this and daddy that” while at the same time she uses her tongue to fish out my three obols from inside my mouth. Next comes the little wife who pats me and hugs me and brings me nice, frothy pastries, sits down next me and coaxes me with, “eat this, honey, eat this, too, my sweetheart.” These things bring joy to my heart. Not like having to rely on you and your cook to deliver me my meal with insolence and whining curses in case I ask for another piece of pie! Against all this torture I’ve got my three obols to protect me and they do an excellent job –like an armour plate against the arrows!

quote:

Philocleon:
Great, Then I’ll be getting my pay all to my self instead of having to split a drachma into obols with someone else. You know what a thief that Lysistratus is? A few days ago he played a very dirty trick on me. No sooner we got our drachma and he ran off to the market to change it. When he came back, instead of shoving the three obols into my mouth, he tossed three fish scales in there. Mullet to be exact. Well, I immediately smelled them, retched and spat them out. But I’ve managed to grab a hold of him and to run him down to the court…

Philocleon is an old man who is addicted to being a juror, they would be paid a fee of three obols but it was time consuming and so often done by elderly, in effect it was almost a pension scheme. In the first quote he is in a debate with his son who is trying to make him stop being a juror, in the second one they've set up a mock trial at home for Philocleon's benefit.

Oops, didn't see that Aristophanes had already been talked about, well there's this one too.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Open mouth kissing his children

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Speleothing posted:

No no you misunderstood, my daughter was just french kissing me for 5 minutes to harvest all the money I keep in my mouth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Juvenal was another cynical acidic "nite Krewe" write from ancient times.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe this is obviously wrong but couldn't the coins in the mouth thing be a joke? Like he's so old he's already one foot in the grave, so might as well have the grave money there in his mouth all the time?

Terrible Opinions has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Apr 29, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
in that The Birds play quote he says he had a meal sack, so he clearly had sack tech available, and yet Euelpides still stuck his money into his mouth

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Speleothing posted:

tom brady through the ages

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

maybe our ancestors just really enjoyed chewing on metal constantly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

in that The Birds play quote he says he had a meal sack, so he clearly had sack tech available, and yet Euelpides still stuck his money into his mouth

he means he was on his way to fill his meal sack at the market like a grocery bag

having swallowed his obol he has to walk home with empty meal sack.

they definitely had purses for coins, the word was fiscus (hence english fiscal) but if you were an average poor dude you never had that much more cash than a handful you intended to spend right away and also could not afford the gang of clients to roll with you as bodyguards to make flashing a bag of coins around possible.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

he means he was on his way to fill his meal sack at the market like a grocery bag

having swallowed his obol he has to walk home with empty meal sack.

they definitely had purses for coins, the word was fiscus (hence english fiscal) but if you were an average poor dude you never had that much more cash than a handful you intended to spend right away and also could not afford the gang of clients to roll with you as bodyguards to make flashing a bag of coins around possible.

my point was that he could stow his coins in the meal sack then exchange them for food

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I mean I hate to second guess our coin chewing, daughter kissing ancestors, but

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Crusader posted:

maybe our ancestors just really enjoyed chewing on metal constantly

sometimes i dream about pennies in my mouth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Drunkboxer posted:

my point was that he could stow his coins in the meal sack then exchange them for food

good point but how would he fit the whole bag in his mouth?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Real hurthling! posted:

good point but how would he fit the whole bag in his mouth?

Ooh that’s easy, he could unhinge his jaw like a snake!

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Drunkboxer posted:

I mean I hate to second guess our coin chewing, daughter kissing ancestors, but

keep your incestors, they arent my ancestors.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I swallowed a quarter when I was a kid and I never pooped it out. could still be in there for all I know

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
ancient people were real freaks

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

quote:

In Classical Athens, obols were traded as silver coins. Six obols made up the drachma. There were also coins worth two obols ("diobol") and three obols ("triobol"). Each obol was divisible into eight "coppers" (χαλκοί, khalkoí). In some other cities the obol was instead divided into twelve coppers.[6] During this era, an obol purchased a kantharos and chous (3 liters or 6 pints) of wine.[7] Three obols was a standard rate for prostitutes.

I guess at least silver is at least kinda antibacterial and presumably doesn't taste coppery (??) so that makes it the tiniest bit less gross

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My face when I swallow too much silver

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
didn’t they have ledgers?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

twoday posted:

I guess at least silver is at least kinda antibacterial and presumably doesn't taste coppery (??) so that makes it the tiniest bit less gross

table wine or real wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Romans swallowed a lot of metal.

There’s the whole lead issue, now coins, and of course the notorious M.L.C..