Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

that's just stealing Swedish heraldry

You might be surprised to find out that the region was ruled by swedish vikings when heraldry was being handed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/amw_english/status/1386887276559577089

this is pointless and unhelpful adventurism

(I am mocking myself for the uniformed dumb thing I said about the last time this happened)

gently caress yeah dudes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lol at our Secretary of Foreign Affairs sounding like John loving Bolton

from the comments:

quote:

If you want peace prepare for war, drat I Love that.

quote:

what people don't realize is that China today is completely different from China in the past.

China today adheres to the proverbs of Chairman Mao and President Xi.

quote:

For once, I agree with the statement of Teddy Boy Locsin. If only Duterte understands Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is there a good babby discussion/podcast/article/video contrasting belt and road with stuff the west does like IMF/world bank/etc?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
BRI is has no western counterpart though. Chinese counterpart to World Bank is AIIB. Essentially BRI is a very different response to US global military bases strategy. In other words Chinese is trying to use trade to compete with US global military dominance.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

President of the USA Joe Biden posted:

Look, we can't be so busy competing with one another that we forget the competition that we have with the rest of the world to win the 21st century. As Secretary Blinken can tell you, I spent a lot of time with President Xi, traveled over 17,000 miles with him, spent over 24 hours in private discussions with him. When he called to congratulate me, we had a two-hour discussion.

He's deadly earnest about becoming the most significant, consequential nation in the world. He and others, autocrats, think that democracy can't compete in the 21st century with autocracies because it takes too long to get consensus. To win that competition for the future, in my view, we also need to make a once-in-a-generation investment in our families and our children.

The investments I propose tonight also advance the foreign policy, in my view, that benefits the middle class. That means making sure every nation plays by the same rules in the global economy, including China. My discussions -- in my discussions with President Xi, I told him, we welcome the competition. We're not looking for conflict.

But I made absolutely clear that we will defend America's interest across the board. America will stand up to unfair trade practices that undercut American workers and American industries like subsidies from state to state owned operations and enterprises and the theft of American technology and intellectual property.

I also told President Xi that we’ll maintain a strong military presence in the Indo-Pacific, just as we do with NATO and Europe. Not to start a conflict, but to prevent one.

With light and hope, we summoned a new strength, new resolve to position us to win the competition of the 21st century.

So there's a competition with China (and the rest of the world) that the US has to win. The US cannot let China become the most significant and consequential nation in the world but welcomes competition from China. American interests will be defended "across the board" by a strong military presence all over the world. But the US is not looking for conflict. Just a competition for the 21st century that requires a new strength and resolve to win.

Going all in on the new cold war apparently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/search?q=tajikistan%20war&src=typed_query&f=live

ummm apparently Tajikistan is sending tanks into Kyrgysztan over fresh water

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=tajikistan%20war&src=typed_query&f=live

ummm apparently Tajikistan is sending tanks into Kyrgysztan over fresh water

the water wars are here, baby! ive been waiting for years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/aryaistan/status/1387761183256719365

https://twitter.com/vicktop55/status/1387777348045508614
https://twitter.com/SerbianTeam/status/1387777382594093061
https://twitter.com/Internl_Leaks/status/1387773836876201985

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
questionable framing, but there have been a few incidents like this as the fuzzy border is slowly being ironed out. this is probably the worst one so far, but the water station in that part of the Fergana is pretty important and it being worth killing over has less to do with dwindling water resources than just the inherent value of the infrastructure

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does it have anything to do with the fact water started being traded on the stock market 6 months ago

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there a stock symbol for air?

* breathable air

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

crepeface posted:

does it have anything to do with the fact water started being traded on the stock market 6 months ago

probably not, in this case. this is fighting over a piece of machinery not necessarily the water supply it's tapped into

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
rest assured the water wars shall have their day. but a hundred years in the future all sorts of pedantic history nerds will be there to remind people that their historical proximity to this incident was merely incidental.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

reposting this cause i realized it was probably more applicable here

lol today Jacobin published an interview about xinjiang with a spook, sean roberts, who has worked extensively with USAID and now writes for radio free europe and radio free asia

how does this keep happening??

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

THS posted:

reposting this cause i realized it was probably more applicable here

lol today Jacobin published an interview about xinjiang with a spook, sean roberts, who has worked extensively with USAID and now writes for radio free europe and radio free asia

how does this keep happening??

I can recommend his 2012 paper: Imaginary Terrorism? The Global War on Terror and the Narrative of the Uyghur Terrorist Threat.

quote:

Since U.S. President George W. Bush declared war on “terrorism” in 2001, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) has continually suggested that it is fighting its own “war on terror” against militants among the Uyghurs, a Muslim minority, which has a long history of resisting Chinese rule over its self-proclaimed homeland in the PRC’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).1 Unlike America’s highly visible and externally focused anti-terrorism efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, China’s “war on terror” has received little attention outside the PRC because it has been mostly waged over the last ten years in a relatively isolated part of the country. As this paper suggests, however, the entire premise of China’s “war on terror” is problematic because it remains unclear whether a militant Uyghur organization even exists that is capable of carrying out substantial and organized acts of terrorism. Furthermore, as the paper also argues, the questionable nature of the PRC’s counterterrorism activities has been obscured by international actions and “expert analysis” that have helped to reaffirm and perpetuate the narrative promoted by the PRC about the terrorist threat it faces from the Uyghurs.

I only skimmed it but he's saying that Uyghur terrorism is blamed on the Eastern Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM).

quote:

Little is known about ETIM, and few if any Uyghurs or scholars studying Uyghur political movements had heard of the organization prior to 2001.

The US officially designated it a terrorist organization when he wrote this (by some huge conicidence suddenly not terrorist in 2020) so he spends quite some time explaining how ETIM is a harmless organization that also doesn't actually exist. He confirms this by speaking to Uyghurs who had been detained in Guantanamo.

quote:

Although one can justifiably question the accuracy of the statements of Uyghur detainees at Guantanamo concerning their activities in Afghanistan, it is notable that their statements generally do not contradict each other—they offer a cohesive story about their associations, or lack thereof, with Al-Qaeda and the Taliban as well as about the relatively benign nature of the alleged ETIM camp in which they lived.

So ETIM was made up by the Chinese since this guy and his fellow western scholars had never heard of them. And there was an "alleged" ETIM camp in Afghanistan confirmed by most Uyghur detainees at Guantanamo. When the Americans asked if they worked with Al-Qaeda they all denied it. And the nature of the camp was "relatively benign".

quote:

While all of the detainees clearly articulated their animosity towards the Chinese state, those who had not come to Jalalabad explicitly for combat training were ambivalent at best about the prospect of participating in armed struggle.

Maybe a bad sentence to include if you're trying to make the case that Uyghur terrorism is imaginary.

And his expertly scholarly analysis of alleged Uyghur terrorist acts is just the best.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
none of these events are Uighur terrorism because I don't speak mandarin and the US barely reported on them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the fuzzy border is slowly being ironed out.

why is the border fuzzy? wouldn’t it have been sorted out during the Soviet era?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

indigi posted:

why is the border fuzzy? wouldn’t it have been sorted out during the Soviet era?

i dunno but they have yearly conferences to decide whether random boulders are intrinsically turkic or aryan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

low resolution maps

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
more serious answer is that the internal soviet borders were ok for places that functioned more like provinces than nation states but that all went out the window with independence. along with any ability to really build infrastructure, unfortunately. The USSR was a godsend to Tajikistan and it's just sorta been crumbling into ruin since it left.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Based on the lengths of these wiki articles I predict China will win the new cold war. Congrats to China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Dot_Network

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/whoiszhu/status/1387410788420308997

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zedhe Khoja posted:

probably not, in this case. this is fighting over a piece of machinery not necessarily the water supply it's tapped into

would the increasing scarcity of water due to it being traded make it valuable enough to start a war?

either way.... guess who's buying a big water cooler and turning it over their head like gatorade at the end of a football match in a decadant show of wealth

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1387445391923286019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he doesn't miss

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

crepeface posted:

would the increasing scarcity of water due to it being traded make it valuable enough to start a war?

either way.... guess who's buying a big water cooler and turning it over their head like gatorade at the end of a football match in a decadant show of wealth

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan both need outside assistance to build projects like this. Every piece of ex-soviet infrastructure they keep is one more thing they don't have to beg China/Russia/USA for. And, while water is increasingly a conflict point in the region, this doesn't really change the water reserves the respective sides control, and Tajikistan is currently the least worried about water reserves since they both control the least amount of Ferghana farmland and the most amount of Ferghana water. On paper they're swimming in uh, water. Despite this there's huge issues with water distribution and tons of people are water insecure due to a lack of infrastructure.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep getting called wumao elsewhere on the interwebs

Or ten cent army

oh btw you forgot this at the meeting brother

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan both need outside assistance to build projects like this. Every piece of ex-soviet infrastructure they keep is one more thing they don't have to beg China/Russia/USA for. And, while water is increasingly a conflict point in the region, this doesn't really change the water reserves the respective sides control, and Tajikistan is currently the least worried about water reserves since they both control the least amount of Ferghana farmland and the most amount of Ferghana water. On paper they're swimming in uh, water. Despite this there's huge issues with water distribution and tons of people are water insecure due to a lack of infrastructure.

hmm, thanks!

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry, apparently it's actually 50 cent army. it's a reference to how people suspect that China has an army of internet posters to defend it online, and that they're paid 50 cents per post

everyone who's trying to point out the warmongering propaganda against our largest trading partner in the auspol thread is getting called a tankie or a paid shill lol.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Apr 30, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kyrgyzstan, tajikistan and forgotten turkmenistan are by far the little brothers of central asia so any threat especially in the last couple decades could seem outsized and warrant disproportionate response

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh no china or russia might.... make better vaccines or treat cancer lmao

https://twitter.com/ryanavent/status/1386327151050326024?s=20

sorry if this got posted already, it's a few days old.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

everyone who's trying to point out the warmongering propaganda against our largest trading partner in the auspol thread is getting called a tankie or a paid shill lol.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
very brave to post your reddit.

respect.

also yes it's absolutely insane how people understand the concept of propaganda without realising they're regurgitating it.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
there's been a general reactionary turn in "liberal" spaces across the board. China is the most obvious symptom, but MENA policy, subsaharan African policy, and Latin American policy have all seen an entrenchment of Trump era policy/rhetoric and Obama realpolitik among the so-called left.

Also an "Israel is decolonization actually" take got posted in the I/P thread so that shits broken twitter containment.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's very depressing. I'm trying to point out the systematic ways our consent is bring manufactured (among my real life friends as well in auspol) and what I get back is "well I know this guy"

need a d&d break.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

there's been a general reactionary turn in "liberal" spaces across the board. China is the most obvious symptom, but MENA policy, subsaharan African policy, and Latin American policy have all seen an entrenchment of Trump era policy/rhetoric and Obama realpolitik among the so-called left.

Also an "Israel is decolonization actually" take got posted in the I/P thread so that shits broken twitter containment.

all of the bad things were only bad because of Trump. Liberal opposition to trump began and ended with aesthetics, not policy.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Not bothering linking cuz it's just twitter people translating but Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan have agree to settle the border dispute through talks and Putin's offered to mediate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Not bothering linking cuz it's just twitter people translating but Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan have agree to settle the border dispute through talks and Putin's offered to mediate.

Nothing but respect for MY president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

As for Ulygurs claiming it's all good. Paul Rassinier was a prisoner at Buchenwald and denied the holocaust saying he never saw any Jews being killed. They tested poison and firebombs at his camp, on the prisoners, amongst other things. Why should I believe this? Of course there will be deniers from within. Have you looked at modern Chinese history? I actively studied it academically. They are really good at getting you to change your mind and say what they want.

the perfidous celestial... his instructable ways will move your tongue and give voice to words not your own.

millions of uyghurs in the region and every single one that's says there's nothing going on is lying