Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

wrap it up guys. new video is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_MXSE3wUT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
heres the post again:

apropos to nothing posted:

and almost this entire page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3956800&pagenumber=25&

buncha other examples but point again, as ever, is that larry is someone that the mods and some clique of posters dont like and so he gets in trouble for it while others dont. you can look at my post history itt to see all the times me and larry argued, i disagree with him about most things except video games apparently. but whats so infuriating is recognizing that one person or a group of people gets targeted and punished by the mods cause of some vendettas immediately makes the people in these cliques assume you are in some kind of rival clique rather than someone who just sees how unfair and arbitrary poo poo is and how stifling it is to actual community and discussion. this is literally what caused the poo poo around KM and PPJ last year and me and others (including larry) being called nazis cause we disagreed with the wrong posting clique.

those arent examples of people just using it to describe the word or something, its people making jokes. again its no different than how larry and like 3 other people were banned for making jokes about how the mods are pedophiles and a bunch of others got nothing. you dont wanna punish people retroactively? yeah i agree. but again its consistent that people get punished for something and then in the ensuing discussion over the fairness/unfairness of it a bunch of posters do the exact same thing as the punished poster and receive no punishment.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

report the posts then, if you don't report them and then they don't get actioned on then why is it the mods fault for not seeing it?

yes thank you for making my point for me again. someone is clearly reporting larrys but no one elses. or the mods selectively enforce the rules. either way its BS. personally i will never report a post because it is against my posting morals but the fail rear end morons who do report posts should report all the posts that have the words they dont want used in them and not just the peopl they have posting beefs with.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
stupid cspam posters (but i repeat myself): we dont like that word! stop using that word!
me, an intellectual, sun shining behind me illuminating the darkness and lighting a path for the huddled, shivering, and misguided masses: hmm, if you dont want the word used anymore then the mods should punish all users for using it in inappropriate ways, and not just this one guy
scp(birm): stop derailing the thread, you are a bigot, you are an ableist, im actually the smart one! im frothing at the mouth too and going to use terrorism to kill you!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

yes thank you for making my point for me again. someone is clearly reporting larrys but no one elses. or the mods selectively enforce the rules. either way its BS. personally i will never report a post because it is against my posting morals but the fail rear end morons who do report posts should report all the posts that have the words they dont want used in them and not just the peopl they have posting beefs with.

seems like he best solution would be to not post the r word if they don't want to risk a probation then. not everyone has to think the same way you do and being upset that some people get punished and others don't when you refuse to participate in the system seems a little silly to me.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

posting slurs in solidarity in the hopes that everyone slurring is punished

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Something something when the machine becomes so terrible that you have to throw yourself upon the gears, but the gears are probations and you're cramming the r word into it as fast as you can

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

lmao

trying again the thing he failed at so hard zizek put him into a coma

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Something something when the machine becomes so terrible that you have to throw yourself upon the gears, but the gears are probations and you're cramming the r word into it as fast as you can

HEY HEY FLAVIE A

HOW MANY WORDS YOU PROBED TODAY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lpersonally i will never report a post because it is against my posting morals

same. I don’t want Larry to Say It but also I’d never report him over it lol what kinda corny poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
unless TFF actually put in ramps for rivals.com puns then just give people a 6-24 hour slap on the wrist. anything more is an idiotic attempt to force the sea to obey your will

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m pretty sure you will catch a probe for saying Faker Gayfield in TFF

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

indigi posted:

that’s how his name is pronounced though!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

indigi posted:

I think a ban did happen for a guy for that, though I don't remember if it was because he was a previously permad poster.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Elisha Manning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Brain Candy posted:

lmao

trying again the thing he failed at so hard zizek put him into a coma

i clicked on it. he's just reuploading a clip of the exact same zizek debate and pretending he looks good even though the audience couldnt stop themselves from laughing at him

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i clicked on it. he's just reuploading a clip of the exact same zizek debate and pretending he looks good even though the audience couldnt stop themselves from laughing at him

awww, as you can tell i did not click, just laughed and closed the tab

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Brain Candy posted:

awww, as you can tell i did not click, just laughed and closed the tab

i had forgotten his classic comedy line, trying to take down marxism: "humans don't rise to the top of hierarchical structures by exploiting other people. it isn't a stable relationship"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

fart simpson posted:

i had forgotten his classic comedy line, trying to take down marxism: "humans don't rise to the top of hierarchical structures by exploiting other people. it isn't a stable relationship"

I feel dizzy trying to ponder the logic behind this thinking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel dizzy trying to ponder the logic behind this thinking

well, the guy did fall into a coma and suffer severe brain damage shortly after saying this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh dang it's a repost, I was laughing at him having spent two years reading and critiquing like thirty pages of "child labor is bad"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:thunk:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

why dont we ban words like stupid, or idiot, or gibbering moron, or smooth brained dumb rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

"Abolish the Police (In China)" is gonna be a slogan isn't it

that account has a photo of northside Chicago trains, references a Chicago mayor in the name, and tweets more the police in Xinjiang than the killer cops in their own neighborhood.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol today Jacobin published an interview about xinjiang with a spook, sean roberts, who has worked extensively with USAID and now writes for radio free europe and radio free asia

how does this keep happening??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

THS posted:

lol today Jacobin published an interview about xinjiang with a spook, sean roberts, who has worked extensively with USAID and now writes for radio free europe and radio free asia

how does this keep happening??

lol they cite articles that cite zenz

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we could have had don instead

Letters + #JacobinPitches
BY
EDITORS
Jacobin troll Donald Hughes (@getfiscal) has been pitching us every week for two years. We’ve compiled some of the best, and our responses, without edits.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

stupid cspam posters (but i repeat myself): we dont like that word! stop using that word!
me, an intellectual, sun shining behind me illuminating the darkness and lighting a path for the huddled, shivering, and misguided masses: hmm, if you dont want the word used anymore then the mods should punish all users for using it in inappropriate ways, and not just this one guy
scp(birm): stop derailing the thread, you are a bigot, you are an ableist, im actually the smart one! im frothing at the mouth too and going to use terrorism to kill you!

i agree with you that punishment has been applied inconsistently and that, frankly, not enough of the people who immediately jumped in after larry to start using the word equivalently (or like 95% equivalently or whatever, you know, childish "i'm not touching you i'm not touching youuuu" bullshit) were similarly probated.

however, as varinn pointed out a few days ago, it's not really workable or copacetic to carry on some sort of full scale mods vs posters war in which ableists just go charging in to get probated wave after wave like lemmings diving off a cliff en masse. this isn't quite happening here because the actual clique of people furious that larry isn't allowed to Say It is very small (just also very talkative) but nevertheless the more time passes and the more conversation moves forward the more egregious and disruptive it becomes to go back and do probations for something which, not in some weird objective way but just by prevailing local standards, is not as offensive as some other transgressions might be. so of course the end result is selective enforcement inflected by pre-existing relationships certain mods have with certain posters etc. this isn't "great", but it is much better than having some sort of explicit legal code with statutes of limitations or whatever, because that'll just create clearer guidelines for hostile posters to press themselves right up against the limits of for the sake of disruptive posturing.

something which gets elided in all these weird complaints about mod grudges, unjust probations, or whatever else is that larry himself was clearly not discussing the cultural valence of "retard" or making an off-color joke or something but just throwing the word as an insult because he was mad. that's really as clear-cut as it gets and i don't see any argument for letting it fly. so when four people show up just hurling as much abuse as they can possible muster at flavius for making that initial judgment call, what they're really doing is defending the use of "retard" as a pejorative, not defending their beloved posting comrade, which is why i don't really see why one or more of them being subsequently probated represents some sort of indefensible breach of the posting code of hammurabi.

notably i think flavius has received much more open hostility and demands to leave (as opposed to reasoned discussion) re: the larry thing than he has re: the xinjiang thing, and i think this is because there is actually room to discuss and change policy the latter while the former is incredibly clear-cut

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

notably i think flavius has received much more open hostility and demands to leave (as opposed to reasoned discussion) re: the larry thing than he has re: the xinjiang thing,

perhaps there is a larger dialectic link between the two

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

there isn't a discussion to be had about "stop power tripping over posters saying a bad word"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
or phrase, like “denying genocide” lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there isn't a discussion to be had about "stop power tripping over posters saying a bad word"

see, this is the kind of thing i'm talking about. "power tripping." is that what the mods were doing when they probated larry for calling me a retard? they were on a power trip? if they were properly humble, calm, collected, etc, they would have simply let him do it? it's actually okay that he did it?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

perhaps there is a larger dialectic link between the two

i believe mao might classify this as an example of an antagonistic vs. a non-antagonistic contradiction

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

see, this is the kind of thing i'm talking about. "power tripping." is that what the mods were doing when they probated larry for calling me a retard? they were on a power trip? if they were properly humble, calm, collected, etc, they would have simply let him do it? it's actually okay that he did it?

giving him a week for saying a no-no word is bullshit

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

giving him a week for saying a no-no word is bullshit

well in the first place he had just come off a day or two-day or something for saying it and immediately said it again. i guess part of the fault lies with me for antagonizing him about it (i was and still am upset that he said it prior) but the basic principle of escalating probations for consciously and repeatedly transgressing doesn't seem like overreach to me. maybe if everyone had more time and energy to spare larry and flavius, or larry and me, or something, could sit down to have a mediated discussion in which we resolve our mutual issues instead, but who's got the time?

separately, people were already jumping in to mourn and rage and make a big show of socially excluding flavius when the initial sixer hit and the actual duration was unknown, so it's not really convincing to pretend that the issue here is the fact of the probation being a week rather than the fact of the probation happening at all

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

i believe mao might classify this as an example of an antagonistic vs. a non-antagonistic contradiction

yes and behold, repeatedly doubling down on probes is a great way to turn the latter into the former!

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

i agree with you that punishment has been applied inconsistently and that, frankly, not enough of the people who immediately jumped in after larry to start using the word equivalently (or like 95% equivalently or whatever, you know, childish "i'm not touching you i'm not touching youuuu" bullshit) were similarly probated.

however, as varinn pointed out a few days ago, it's not really workable or copacetic to carry on some sort of full scale mods vs posters war in which ableists just go charging in to get probated wave after wave like lemmings diving off a cliff en masse. this isn't quite happening here because the actual clique of people furious that larry isn't allowed to Say It is very small (just also very talkative) but nevertheless the more time passes and the more conversation moves forward the more egregious and disruptive it becomes to go back and do probations for something which, not in some weird objective way but just by prevailing local standards, is not as offensive as some other transgressions might be. so of course the end result is selective enforcement inflected by pre-existing relationships certain mods have with certain posters etc. this isn't "great", but it is much better than having some sort of explicit legal code with statutes of limitations or whatever, because that'll just create clearer guidelines for hostile posters to press themselves right up against the limits of for the sake of disruptive posturing.

something which gets elided in all these weird complaints about mod grudges, unjust probations, or whatever else is that larry himself was clearly not discussing the cultural valence of "retard" or making an off-color joke or something but just throwing the word as an insult because he was mad. that's really as clear-cut as it gets and i don't see any argument for letting it fly. so when four people show up just hurling as much abuse as they can possible muster at flavius for making that initial judgment call, what they're really doing is defending the use of "retard" as a pejorative, not defending their beloved posting comrade, which is why i don't really see why one or more of them being subsequently probated represents some sort of indefensible breach of the posting code of hammurabi.

notably i think flavius has received much more open hostility and demands to leave (as opposed to reasoned discussion) re: the larry thing than he has re: the xinjiang thing, and i think this is because there is actually room to discuss and change policy the latter while the former is incredibly clear-cut

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

yes and behold, repeatedly doubling down on probes is a great way to turn the latter into the former!

yes, but here's the thing: the r-word thing was an antagonistic contradiction in the first place. people immediately rappelled down from the skylights the moment the probation hit, and went in guns blazing for larry's sacred right to call people retards if they happened to annoy him to a high enough degree. this isn't something the mods are going to budge on in the first place, so if there's a cadre of people who just value free speech more so than inclusive language, that's that, the battle lines are drawn immediately

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

you don't need to tell me that you're going to pretend not to read, i already knew you wouldn't have a coherent response. i'm writing for the thread as a whole

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
man, nobody wants to read this bullshit what are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Ferrinus posted:

you don't need to tell me that you're going to pretend not to read, i already knew you wouldn't have a coherent response. i'm writing for the thread as a whole