Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Democracy historically has mainly been a farce to cover the fact that one group or family has taken control and rigged the vote or a power-sharing agreement between the powerful ruling families.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I mean if you're gonna go there then that's also every human society that's ever existed.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Count Roland posted:

Well Congo is pushing 100 million people so those fish won't be lasting much longer I bet.
Me: no loving way, the population was like 50 million last time I checked. Although that was closer to 2000...

DRC:

Me: oh

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't realize you were such a fan of medieval Italian city-state governments.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Compromise: the US government remains as is, but state and congressional district borders are determined once every three years by selecting a random US citizen and handing them a blank US map.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The randomly selected citizen is Al Franken.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Compromise: the US government remains as is, but state and congressional district borders are determined once every three years by selecting a random US citizen and handing them a blank US map.

Umm, pick one or the other, there is no way that would consistently produce 50 (or 48) states. Also way too much Texas probably.

I was trying to think of a snarky counter example to all government being used to reinforce the power of the ruling elite. All my examples are either "right after a revolution", "I don't actually know how it worked in reality" or "failed state lol".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are parts of the Congo River that are nearly a thousand feet deep and NOPE THAT'S TOO DEEP FOR A RIVER IM SORRY.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the most confederate thing of all, states with more people getting more votes than states with less people

This works both ironically and unironically

But as a texan who lived in NYC it is extremely lmfao NY poo poo to be mad that it isn't the king poo poo state or city anymore.

very good and normal system where a state that gains population loses representation

definitely nothing wrong with that

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 29, 2021

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Rah! posted:

texas has more people than california?

Individually? No. By biomass? Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the first one is a texan boomer from Hale County and he chuckles to himself as he draws circles around all the major cities and assigns them as exclaves of Commiefornia

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thump! posted:

Individually? No. By biomass? Yes.

lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
again you fuckin morons do realize that the size of the house of representatives is fixed by our dumbass federal law, the vast majority of states gained population between 2010 and 2020, and therefore states that grew more get more and states that were average or below average lose seats? California still has nearly 20 more than Texas. The relative size of the population of the one grew in relative size compared to the other compared to 2010 and that is forced to be reflected into 435 assholes.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 29, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't realize you were such a fan of medieval Italian city-state governments.

Venice aka Democracy, where you are controlled by powerful families:

Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced by lot to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine, and the nine elected forty-five. These forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven finally chose the forty-one who elected the doge. Election required at least twenty-five votes out of forty-one, nine votes out of eleven or twelve, or seven votes out of nine electors.

Blessed Imperium, where anybody can rise to the top:

kill the emperor to become the emperor

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

Me: no loving way, the population was like 50 million last time I checked. Although that was closer to 2000...

DRC:

Me: oh

what exactly is meant by male/female "surplus"?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

yikes! posted:

How many more there are of that gender than the other. Basically, the blue and red bars are exactly the same, and the dark blue/red represents the rest of the gender with more people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

yikes! posted:

It's however many more males/females there are in a given age group. Men start off slightly more common, balance out around 30, and then women become more numerous.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

yikes! posted:

It sounds really bad yeah, but it's just how many more males/females are in each age group.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yeah but Congo is enormous and the entire country is in theory a great place for people to live, minus all the horrible diseases that have largely been wiped out or mitigated in the last 100 years. It could easily support hundreds of millions of people. To put in perspective, the Netherlands has 13x the population density of the DRC, meaning if Congo was as densely populated as the Netherlands, it would have a population of like 1.1 billion people.

I'm not sure if the Netherlands could actually be food sufficient, possibly not, but in any case there's clearly a lot of room for the DRC to grow in population without becoming directly Malthusian, which will probably happen, and hopefully them destroying the Congo Rainforest won't have massive global repercussions. Africa had a crazy low population density until recently; I'm sure people have posted these maps before:

The entirety of of sub-Saharan Africa had an equivalent population to Germany in 1900 (65 m sub-Saharan Africa, 56 m Germany).

What seems more terrifyingly Malthusian is projections putting like 750 million people in Nigeria by 2100. That is not a large country and it is not exactly a farming paradise. Congo is only projected to have 350 million which seems like it would be manageable if the government could handle it: https://www.populationpyramid.net/democratic-republic-of-the-congo/1995/

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

again you fuckin morons do realize that the size of the house of representatives is fixed by our dumbass federal law, the vast majority of states gained population between 2010 and 2020, and therefore states that grew more get more and states that were average or below average lose seats? California still has nearly 20 more than Texas. The relative size of the population of the one grew in relative size compared to the other compared to 2010 and that is forced to be reflected into 435 assholes.

Any system where a state with a bigger population gets fewer representatives is a bad system.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saladman posted:

The entirety of of sub-Saharan Africa had an equivalent population to Germany in 1900 (65 m sub-Saharan Africa, 56 m Germany).

what are the sources for this map?

i mean, the danish census in 1901 for a fact missed a number of people*, so i figure colonial administrations missed a lot of people. even now in america, there's been murmurs of lots of latinos not being counted in texas etc

* by the 50s they were probably fully accurate, since we started tracking everyone from birth to death by hand in the 1920s and with computers since 1968

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 29, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Byzantine posted:

Blessed Imperium, where anybody can rise to the top:

kill the emperor to become the emperor

It helps if you're born in the Magic Room

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Any system where a state with a bigger population gets fewer representatives is a bad system.

1) that's not what's happening. New York has a growth in population, not in relative population size. It gets fewer representatives because the other states grew more.

2) there's an argument to be made that representing small (often rural) populations disproportionally (in their favour) is a good idea, to prevent the majority from just loving up the minority. Denmark uses a system like that, where a vote in Vestjylland is worth more representation than a vote in Copenhagen.

3) any system is a bad system, so yeah, agreed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Small rural populations often love loving up minorities though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo we should go back to the Andræ Method (aka single transferable vote), which denmark used 1855–1915, before switching to the much dumber current proportional system. It would weaken the bigger bloc parties which is always a good thing, and theres still room to balance Jutes, Zealanders, etc

https://denstoredanske.lex.dk/Andr%E6s_metode
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Christoffer_Georg_Andr%c3%a6

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BonHair posted:

2) there's an argument to be made that representing small (often rural) populations disproportionally (in their favour) is a good idea,

Yes, a terrible argument. Other minorities don't get any special voting privileges, location based ones make no more sense than say, ethnic ones. One vote one man, anything else is just arbitrarily giving one minority an unfair edge.

Well I can maybe see the argument if that minority is an indigenous one who has been in the geographic area of a given nation before there even was one...but even then I'd go with autonomous areas over having greater share of the vote on a country-wide basis.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 29, 2021

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Count Roland posted:

Well Congo is pushing 100 million people so those fish won't be lasting much longer I bet.

Well, the map you're referring to showed that the Congolese get most of their animal protein from fish, not that they are getting a lot of protein in absolute terms.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

states should not lose seats after gaining population. gently caress this relative growth garbage

it almost like the system is loving stupid, and the house of representatives shouldn't be fixed in size, which is the entire point of the posts where people are complaining about it :vince:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How is it any better if let's say California keeps its number of Reps, but Texas and Florida gain an additional rep on top of the ones they gained under the current system, because the representation is still proportional.

What sort of baffling pseudo-logic is that.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

How is it any better if let's say California keeps its number of Reps, but Texas and Florida gain an additional rep on top of the ones they gained under the current system, because the representation is still proportional.

What sort of baffling pseudo-logic is that.

maybe they could both gain reps, because they both grew

lol

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes, a terrible argument. Other minorities don't get any special voting privileges, location based ones make no more sense than say, ethnic ones. One vote one man, anything else is just arbitrarily giving one minority an unfair edge.

Well I can maybe see the argument if that minority is an indigenous one who has been in the geographic area of a given nation before there even was one...but even then I'd go with autonomous areas over having greater share of the vote on a country-wide basis.

Indigenous peoples being given complete control of the entire federal government to do with as they please would own pretty hard, actually.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rah! posted:

maybe they could both gain reps, because they both grew

lol

OK, so if the ratio of reps between two hypothetical states is tied to population and doesn't change, why does it matter if the number of representatives is 100:150 or 50:75 or 200:300, with large assemblies and large states the rounding differences are marginal.

Redistricting, which would matter, is a separate issue that isn't addressed by this either.

Entirely pointless.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

It's less of an issue now with phones and the internet but a single politician covering a very large geographic area can lead to inequalities. Canada is bit of an exception compared to most countries but an MP in downtown Toronto might cover a few square kilometres while the Nunavut MP (there's only one) covers an area about 4 times the size of Spain. So the Toronto MP can have a day in the office where every single person in the riding can access the office should they want to, then the MP can go out to a fundraising event, attend a community forum, and be back in their own bed all in one day. The Nunavut MP would be literally unable to do that in an entire week and would need a budget of thousands of dollars for airfare. Nunavut is obviously the extreme example, but even the rural but not remote riding I grew up in is about the size of Montenegro. You can definitely drive across it and back in a day if you need to but it makes community engagement much more difficult.

Again this is less of an issue now with all of our communications technology (and much more of an issue in Canada than most countries) but there are strong historical reasons for it. And from speaking to my local MP, the people who come into the office are generally also the people who might have the least knowledge of how to use that technology so some face to face contact is still important. Plus, rural and remote regions are also the areas most likely to have lovely internet.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chicken posted:

It's less of an issue now with phones and the internet but a single politician covering a very large geographic area can lead to inequalities. Canada is bit of an exception compared to most countries but an MP in downtown Toronto might cover a few square kilometres while the Nunavut MP (there's only one) covers an area about 4 times the size of Spain. So the Toronto MP can have a day in the office where every single person in the riding can access the office should they want to, then the MP can go out to a fundraising event, attend a community forum, and be back in their own bed all in one day. The Nunavut MP would be literally unable to do that in an entire week and would need a budget of thousands of dollars for airfare. Nunavut is obviously the extreme example, but even the rural but not remote riding I grew up in is about the size of Montenegro. You can definitely drive across it and back in a day if you need to but it makes community engagement much more difficult.

Again this is less of an issue now with all of our communications technology (and much more of an issue in Canada than most countries) but there are strong historical reasons for it. And from speaking to my local MP, the people who come into the office are generally also the people who might have the least knowledge of how to use that technology so some face to face contact is still important. Plus, rural and remote regions are also the areas most likely to have lovely internet.

how much land would I need to buy for a rotten borough

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chicken posted:

More seats for Wyoming, then?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

More seats for Wyoming, then?

The size of a seat should be inversely proportional to the quality of internet and the availability of transit. So Wyoming should have a lot of seats while the NYC-Washington DC corridor should have one at most.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Distribution of the genus Acacia

You thought that mainland Africa had acacia trees? Think again, dumbass.

(What actually happened is that the genus was stolen. The name and original type species are from Egypt, but hundreds of Australian species were added, far outnumbering the African ones. When genetic studies forced a split, it was considered less disruptive to move the African species to their own genus, Vachellia.)

HookShot posted:

There are parts of the Congo River that are nearly a thousand feet deep and NOPE THAT'S TOO DEEP FOR A RIVER IM SORRY.

The Nile carved a canyon hundreds of metres deep during the Messinian salinity crisis, but it’s mostly full of sediment now.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the most confederate thing of all, states with more people getting more votes than states with less people

This works both ironically and unironically

But as a texan who lived in NYC it is extremely lmfao NY poo poo to be mad that it isn't the king poo poo state or city anymore.

I mean, it still is the most important city in the country and the world. Texas is allowed to dump on NY when it stops being a petro-state.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The most important and famous city in the world is Washington DC. You know, the place where the world's largest military is headquartered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

What seems more terrifyingly Malthusian is projections putting like 750 million people in Nigeria by 2100. That is not a large country and it is not exactly a farming paradise. Congo is only projected to have 350 million which seems like it would be manageable if the government could handle it: https://www.populationpyramid.net/democratic-republic-of-the-congo/1995/

Best-case scenario is that further improvements in agricultural technology would comfortably be able to feed a population of 750M in a country the size of Nigeria. Remember that in the 1970s the Club of Rome warned of overpopulation as one of the main roads into an unsustainable world, whereas in reality it turned out population wasn't the problem, but greed. 1970s tech could absolutely not feed the entirety of the 2021 world population, but 2020s tech could, with some to spare.

Also, while Africa will very likely continue to boom in terms of population, other regions won't. Asia and South America are likely to stall and Europe will even see a drop in population. We may see the day the world reaches 10 billion people, but that is likely going to be the peak as African nations become more literate and literacy is directly proportional to fertility rates (literate women basically means more empowered women who have a greater say in bodily autonomy, this is true even for repressive regimes like Iran).

As a sidenote, it's also why frequently-touted 'Great Replacement' theories espoused by the far-right are so incredibly dumb: immigrant populations tend to come down to the fertility rate of the host population as generations go by, unless the host population was killed off in a rather brief period beforehand due to all-out genocide, natural disasters or disease.